KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Center for Autism and Related Disorders

Engaged Employer

Center for Autism and Related Disorders

Add a Review

Center for Autism and Related Disorders Employee Reviews about "therapists"

Updated Nov 14, 2021

Found 83 of over 1,217 reviews

Center for Autism and Related Disorders Chief Executive Officer Jennifer Webster
Jennifer Webster

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The company provides great training for its entry level people as well as it's supervisor.(in 85 reviews)
  • "Coworkers are great and other therapists always have your back.(in 39 reviews)
  • "The people are great and it really feels like a community working toward common goals.(in 36 reviews)
  • "Staff was friendly and helpful(in 31 reviews)
  • "education: they offer many opportunities to expand in the company including trainings for RBT and BCAT.(in 18 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay is low and they only pay you for client hours while constantly hounding you to stay and clean.(in 146 reviews)
  • "Poor management and lack of trust for their employees.(in 86 reviews)
  • "They claim to have assistant supervisors to support therapist but what support???(in 35 reviews)
  • "No benefits (medical/dental)(in 26 reviews)
  • "Long hours and minimal compensation(in 25 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Center for Autism and Related Disorders and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "therapists"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

good start but not a great company

Apr 4, 2022 - Senior Behavior Technician in Rocklin, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

rewarding feeling of providing therapy for your kiddos

Cons

-company tries hard to not make you full-time (unless a BCBA, supervisor, OM, or assistant) due to not wanting to give employees the benefits. - the pay SUCKS compared to other ABA companies! - company gives you training on certain clients but throw you under the bus when you're on your own ans start working with clients you had no training with (behavior wise) - they re-route you to other clients that you're not usually with which most likely be not beneficial to the client- CARD still bill insurances even if it was not a successful therapy. - they want you to work weekends although management is not required (but yet want therapists to always be available) - They say they work around your school schedule but yet need like 3-4 weeks to change your schedule

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

So glad my experience with CARD is over.

May 10, 2017 - Behavior Therapist in Sterling, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You work with nice people. You gain a lot of patience and relationships with different children.

Cons

SO many cons. My brain hurts just thinking about them. Con 1,2,3,4 and 5 are all scheduling. Especially in your first 90 days they have this contract that requires you be there on call therapist for any availability you didn't mark off in your interview. Afterwards, if someone cancels you get rerouted to some kid you probably don't know (huge waste for therapist but mostly the child). To request off ... you have to fill out this form, get all sessions that would occur during that time covered, get it signed by the supervisor of that child, and get it approved. They really need to pay their therapists more if they want them to be on call and hardly ever get time off. They train you with a powerpoint and then send you off because they really just need therapists to fill the schedule so they can continue billing families. They try to make moving up seem possible but really its not worth it. I have been so happy since I do not work there anymore. After working so many hours you build up points which you can use in this card gift store. The only thing of value in the gift store are gift cards or paid days off which obviously require the most points. After I found another job I used up all my points on gift cards and they never sent them to me. I have followed up about them three times and they are just ignoring me. Probably just using the gift cards to incentivise the poor souls who still work there.

13 people found this review helpful

Staffing Resource Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience in your position. There are a few items in your review that are not accurate with regards to CARD policy. We would like to clear them up here and will also speak with the Sterling office. First, therapists are never on call. You may be asked to do a fill-in when a therapist is sick so that the patient may still receive valuable treatment hours, but this is not a requirement. We do not have a contract stating that you have to be "on call", and have never had such a contract. Second, the points program is a rewards program for therapists. You can earn fun items and gift cards simply for attending your assigned sessions. You are correct that this is a program only for active employees and you do forfeit your remaining points if you have not used them when you terminate employment. Thank you for your time and we wish you the best of luck.

3. 2.0

Card experience

Jan 2, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are pretty nice, kids are cute

Cons

The pay is LOW for what they expect from you. Working full time at this company barely got me by. They say there is room for advancement and encourage expert roles.... but for expert roles the pay is lower when you do those hours. Also, they take away therapy hours to add these hours in, so your paycheck gets cut. Absolutely ridiculous. Scheduling is horrible, and management is awful. They hire people because they need more therapists and then 3/4 of those people quit during training. The pay is inconsistent which makes it nearly impossible to budget. And workers are unprofessional, with no enforcement of dress codes/appropriate behavior.

7 people found this review helpful

Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experiences at CARD. We know that therapists have a demanding and challenging position, and we continue to provide additional supports wherever possible. It looks like some of your dissatisfaction stems from your inconsistent scheduling and pay. We understand that when a client cancels a session it can be disruptive to the therapist. Unfortunately there will always be situations in which families need to cancel an appointment. Scheduling remains a big challenge as we balance among the lives of families, therapists and supervisors. With collaboration, communication, and a team approach, we strive to meet the needs of all parties as much as possible. In terms of pay, it is our priority to offer opportunities to increase Behavior Technician pay by making upward mobility easy to obtain, providing training for a variety of credentials, like the BCAT and or RBT, and our bonus program. We encourage any requests of information in these areas to be communicated to Operations Managers, Therapist Liaisons, or Clinical Managers for guidance in career advancement or specific pay increase information.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Pros

I worked at CARD and just had to leave because I am moving away. I cant believe some of the stuff I am reading on this site. CARD is a fantastic company. All the people are really kind and polite and everyone tries their best to help the therapists. How many jobs can you find where you are actually helping kids who need your help so badly? I had just finished high school and got a job at CARD. Now I am getting my BA and I can tell you my pay rate went up every year. Actually I got a raise pretty quickly. I guess it depends largely on how much you improve as a therapist.

Cons

I have no cons to share.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Validated opinion of myself and others working with CARD

Nov 26, 2019 - BT2 in Saint Robert, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

CARD provides many opportunities for career growth. Therapist discounts are helpful through a number or various companies such as Verizon, AT&T, Nike, etc. The personal growth you gain from watching the children grow through their struggles are immeasurable. Outings with families and exposure to communities where the children can learn how to identify their triggers and work through them is a very useful form of therapy. The therapist support ladder of concern is an appropriate form of communication to better enhance the therapists needs.

Cons

Although there are company values that are in place, it seems that the stress of these values are projected towards the families only, rather than the families and the therapists. It takes FOREVER to prove to corporate that a therapist is taking inaccurate data and is actually causing a delay in the child's growth. Due to the lack of firing people who consistently violate the company values and morals, the employees who are strong willed and genuinely care about the patients quit. Patients going through lessons that are too easy for them will act out in behaviors that have never occurred before and it becomes a habit of resistance that the therapist will then in turn have to shape. It takes forever for this company to fire a therapist who hasn't grown. They will only add "goals" for said therapist and although said therapist does not grow through the goals and gets new ones added, they are still retained. It's too easy for a crap therapist to make false data to make themselves look good.

Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your detailed feedback and concerns. We will review your suggestions and other concerns with our management team. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

6. 2.0

Disappointed

Jan 29, 2021 - Assistant Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

If interested in field, opportunities for growth Working with amazing clients 20 RTO days (however unpaid) Meeting people who enjoy the field

Cons

Low rate of pay compared to other companies Priority is for profit instead of quality of therapy Therapist burnout/high turnover rate due to push of hours The iPad makes you feel like you’re constantly on call when you’re home/on your day off Minimal therapist support especially when it involves burnout Scheduling is a nightmare, half the time management doesn’t respect noted availability Therapists would be thrown into difficult cases on their first day without proper training or rapport building and were expected to complete session Focusing on trials per hour vs. quality of therapy Cliques within management and leadership team Lack of support during COVID/increased in-home care Lack of staff meetings or mentor meetings to see how therapists were holding up

Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for providing your review. We are happy to hear feedback, and we continue to seek out new ways to improve on the areas of the job that are difficult on our clinicians. However, we are disappointed to see that you did not have an overall positive experience at CARD. We would like to comment on the statement regarding COVID. We encourage clinical supervisors, especially new hires, to fully express their concerns during meetings with leadership so that clinicians can receive adequate support. If a clinician has concerns about their workload, communication is crucial in order for us to help them reduce work related stress. We know that these are trying times and we have dedicated individuals who are here to offer support to their fellow CARDians. You also had concerns with CARD's training program for therapists. Our training program for is quite extensive, and lengthier than the training provided in the majority of similar organizations. If our therapists do not feel comfortable taking on their first solo therapy session, we suggest for them to consult their supervisor(s) for further training. Again, thank you for your review and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Burnout is pretty much guaranteed

Jul 1, 2021 - Administrative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice, friendly, well-meaning staff and great kids

Cons

Understaffed admin and no willingness to hire more. Constant unrelenting stress, therapists who are specifically trained to be overly needy, and an astoundingly complicated scheduling system/rules. This results in constant mistakes from both lower level and higher level admin, not just a one person thing. You’ll be overwhelmed as soon as your first day and you’ll be burnt out after your first week. Too many conflicting needs and rules and constant crises that happen every single day. It’s like a startup environment but without any of the benefits or forward-thinking mindset of an action startup. Corporate is Scrooge-level cheap when it comes to hiring an adequate amount of staff. And if you are hired, it’s for peanuts. Turnover rate is extremely high among both therapists and admin staff. I have a history of hard work and long lasting jobs. But this is the only job that has ever made me borderline suicidal. Also the health insurance is insultingly terrible.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

This review is worth reading.

Sep 2, 2015 - Senior Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

- This job and field are so rewarding. The work we do with the children is life-changing and I look forward to working every day. - Previously, training was a pro, however, within the past six months, it has become more lax and the clinical quality seems to be declining. - I previously thought very highly of the case supervisors. The current supervisors lack clinical skills and it is becoming a trend for management to promote therapists with little experience and ABA knowledge. They have also been known to promote less qualified therapists to a supervisory position because they are desperate for people with their master's degree or BCBA certification. - Career opportunities for growth within the company

Cons

- The CEO has been reading these reviews and has even provided assignments for her employees to draft responses to negative Glassdoor reviews. This leads me to believe the recent positive reviews are coming from these employees (it is also shown in that they are cookie cutter responses). The company should focus more on proactively addressing the concerns within the company, rather than spending their work hours practicing how to explain their mistakes. - Per a representative from CARD in response to a negative review, "On average, CARD has a higher pay rate than most ABA companies, and we also have several opportunities available to therapists who are seeking a pay increase and/or promotion." -- I personally received my RBT certification and passed my BCAP because I was told I would receive a pay raise. However, I received less than a 50 cent pay raise. Furthermore, after having done my research, I now know there are many other companies that pay more than CARD for a starting therapist (even without RBT and BCAP). For example, ACES starts at $16-17 per hour; AST starts at $18; Easter Seals starts at $17-18; Behavior Support Solutions starts at $20-30 per hour. Despite what CARD says regarding competitive pay, their starting hourly rate is actually $12 an hour and though they say it is negotiable depending on experience, it does not come close to these other rates. - Although there are many opportunities for growth within the company (even creating new positions), management will often say they will promote and then not actually promote due to not being able to find ways to bill for these hours. CARD has even been known to promote then demote upon these positions not being monetarily beneficial to the company. Employees who are in this situation are typically required to do therapy in order to fulfill billable hours (example: my liaison is regularly called to do fill-in sessions throughout the week), indicating CARD's concern for profit over concern for their employees. - I have discussed these concerns on several occasions with my clinical manager to which I was provided with vague responses. CARD is definitely not what it used to be.

33 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Admin

Oct 12, 2015 -  in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interacting with therapists, supervisors, and families is what keeps you going. Watching the kids make progress is amazing. I loved our team at our local office.

Cons

The corporate office. They always pushed how they were there to 'help' when all they really did was add more and more ridiculous tasks that made it impossible to get anything done. They care more about contract fulfillment than quality of care. The salary they offer therapists is just insulting and the families notice all of this. It became just embarrassing to work for this company.

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0

Great training, poor leadership

Sep 8, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great training program for behavior therapists that consisted of online training and in the field training. I was able to receive senior therapist training as well as therapist liaison training which helped further my knowledge in the autism field.

Cons

No local BCBA supervision led to my decision to leave CARD, as well as not given the opportunity to keep my position. I worked at a smaller office that was difficult to hire for and maintain staff. The office had no supervisor or OM for months. The pay rate was low compared to other agencies in the school district for our state. I worked at CARD for over two years and never received an evaluation, even when I asked. Poor communication from office personnel to therapists and families. Would show up to numerous houses and family had no idea I would be showing up, or I would find out that a session was cancelled after arriving to a home.

12 people found this review helpful