Center for Infectious Disease Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Aderem

1. "Great cause to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's easy to throw yourself into your work when itsupports a great cause. Great colleagues and vibrant location.

Cons

Position is dependent upon funding, the strain of which can cause turbulence in any organization.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your staff, they work hard to support the cause

"Diseased & Unstable"

I worked at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time

Pros

Good community values, above average work life balance, decent benefits, interesting location.

Cons

An institute that is working on ridding the world of infectious diseases is itself diseased.
    This place is as stable as an elephant walking on a piece of string. The trouble begins in the most logical place - leadership. Or, lack thereof. There is no one at the top who really gets what the problems are. The board of directors seem to be in charge. They keep demanding that people be hired whom they think will solve the many problems of this institute, only to find several years later that they are riddled with not only the problems they had before, but an entire new set of problems. The hole they have dug just keeps getting deeper and they keep throwing more and more money into it, money that should be spent on keeping valuable employees and doing good science.
    This place relies on federal funding for about 90% of their activities. This was a struggle with the last administration, imagine what it will be with the next…not a pretty picture. They are currently looking for a new president because the last president was a disaster and costs the institute hundreds of thousands of dollars and was asked to “step down” when he should have been fired. What individual in their right mind would want to be president of a place that is limping along, with little hope for the future? This is a place that undervalues important members of the staff, while rewarding upper level management with exorbitant salaries and pay raises.
    They keep walking in circles. The finance and the grants departments have been in constant flux and chaos, never reaching a level of stability. Mostly because no one knows how to fix the problems. They bring in consultants to help, but the consultants either get sucked up by the problems and just add to them, or they provide guidance that is either ignored or forgotten.
    Instead of trying to solve the problem of the world’s infectious diseases they should focus on their own diseased state.
    If you are not particular about the culture, or stability of the place you work and don’t mind seeing waste then you might be happy here. Otherwise I would keep walking.

Advice to Management

Try to get a better understanding of what the people in the trenches are doing, how hard they are working, and reward them for their endeavors.

"Abysmal"

I worked at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have to say my experiences at CIDR were the worst I have ever had in a workplace. The administrative departments are not respected, there is very little appreciation or recognition shown to members of these departments. Upper management should be ashamed of this fact. The director of HR is one of the main problems. She is very likable and friendly to your face, but once you turn around everything changes. She frequently makes promises that are not kept, as a result she has acquired a reputation of being deceitful. Most of the upper management staff are self centered and self serving. Many, many large egos here. Compared to where I work now CIDR seems like a dark, dark place. In my current situation I have been told many times how much I am appreciated, and given heartfelt thanks. You know what is sad? I was surprised, and taken aback. Because I was not used to such accolades.
    CIDR has a ridiculous vacation policy, one I have never heard of and I’ve been working for quite a while. You are given all you vacation as of January 1, and you MUST use it in one year or it is gone, there is no carry forward. So, if you want to plan a big trip, or even several trips a year, you have to do it as a “leave without pay” deal, not helpful.
    The financial situation is dicey at best. You get a rosy picture painted by the new president, when in reality they are struggling. Moral is low, low, low. Again, because of the atmosphere in my new situation I was made aware of how abysmal the CIDR environment was. I am so glad to be out of there, and WOULD defiantly not recommend working here to anyone. To much dysfunction for such a small place, constant in house fighting and bickering, financial department is a mess, need I say more?

Cons

Decent benefits. Flexible work schedule, Good location. Lower level employees are really nice. Scientists are dedicated to their work.

Advice to Management

Stop being so self centered, you are loosing and will continue to loose good employees if you don't change the culture.

"Failing miserably"

I worked at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time

Pros

Interesting location, decent benefits, nice colleagues

Cons

Wow, where to begin? CIDR is in a sad state. They are loosing really good, smart, conscientious employees because people are not rewarded for their hard work. Not only in monetary terms, but in everyday, hey your doing a great job terms. Morale is below miserable and no one really seems to care, which makes morale even worse. The upper management gets paid VERY generously, while the folks lower on the food chain get their crumbs. The scientists seems to be oblivious, or they are in denial or they just don't plain care that their place of work is on a down hill slope. The energy of the place is like walking into an empty room, boring and stale. I've had colleagues from other scientific institutes ask what is going on, because they have heard it isn't good.

Advice to Management

Management? What management? There is a good old boys network that likes to do back room deals and keep the dysfunction flowing at a high level.

"Shaky Ground"

I worked at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time

Pros

Interesting, thoughtful, meaningful science is attempted.

Cons

Poor, poor management which leads to terrible moral. I couldn't believe the change in environment that I am experiencing in my new position. People are happy, friendly and there is a buzz int the air. I actually like going to work. I really struggled during my final months at CIDR, I hated it. The atmosphere at CIDR feels like a morgue. There is no inspiration, it is really struggling to keep going. From what I hear there are several key people looking to get out of there. They are spending LOTS of money on outreach and communications. In fact there is a rumor that the man in charge of communications has some dirt on one of the board members, that is why he has all the power that he does. Honestly the man is very underwhelming for what they are paying him. And despite all the money they have spent NOTHING has been brought in = big waste of funds. So, my suggestion would be to look elsewhere unless you are desperate.

Advice to Management

Hang on to your hats, cause it's going to be a bumpy ride.

"Excellent Research, People, and Environment"

Pros

Smart people, good research, nice facility.

It was enjoyable showing up to work there everyday.

Cons

Not many job openings in facility.

"Former employee"

Pros

Fabulous colleagues in my department. Good market pay and benefits. Great access to leaders; many talented individuals and teams. I could not have asked for a more dedicated, dynamic work environment. CIDR is a leader and heavy hitter in biomedical research science.

Cons

The last major shifting of the leadership, around 2011-2012, caused many talented people to depart. When I left a couple of years ago, the leadership was still in flux and the place felt unstable.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing your best to retain talented staff and engaging employees across depts.

"Nonprofit"

I have been working at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time

Pros

Great people, good location, lots of close relationships with colleagues.

Cons

Morale trouble with management transition.

10. "Lots of benefits"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Center for Infectious Disease Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great staff/team to work with. Lots of experiences learned along the way.

Cons

Parking is horrible since it's near downtown.

11. "Leadership and Communications Lacking"

I have been working at Center for Infectious Disease Research full-time

Pros

Great science, brilliant scientists, great mission

Cons

The leadership is sorely lacking. Internal and external communications is poor. Leadership does not listen to low-level employees. Not a collaborative environment.

Advice to Management

Stop just focusing on the opinions/advice of directors and VPs - look to all of your employees. We all have something to contribute.