Center for Open Science Reviews | Glassdoor

Center for Open Science Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2019

4.2
Center for Open Science CEO Brian Nosek (no image)
Brian Nosek
  1. "Great place, great people"

Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Center for Open Science full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A flexible work environment with a great mission. Outstanding people to work with (this wasn't always true, but all the terrible people are gone now). So if you're looking for meaningful software development work, this is a fantastic place to be. There's always plenty of work to do, and we try very hard to tailor the work to people's strengths or interests. We've gone through several rounds of changes in the past... year to try to get past the difficulties that we used to have, and it's so much better than it was even one year ago.

Cons

You're only going to be able to go so far "up", so if you're in an early-to-mid part of your career, this may only be a 2-4 year job for you. The development isn't greenfield, because we have existing systems that we have to work in; it's definitely geared towards people who are interested in the challenges of maintaining and improving existing software. Also, we are a non-profit, so the pay isn't going to be as... good as at successful for-profits or soon-to-be-gone startups. The worst problem, and this is one you can potentially help with, is that our diversity went way down during the rough times. We definitely don't want a monoculture, so I'm hoping we can reverse this trend soon.

Center for Open Science2019-09-20
  2. "Interesting work, smart co-workers, flexible environment"

I have been working at Center for Open Science full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's an incredibly smart group of people who are passionate about the mission. It's a tech company with the values of a nonprofit mission. The focus on policy and research make for interesting, innovative approaches to solving big problems in scientific research. Flexible work environment and truly supportive of working parents. We all work hard, but it's the only place I've been that actually understands how to... provide a flexible environment

Cons

The organization is maturing and that comes with adjustment for some, but I don't personally have any cons.

Center for Open Science2019-02-26
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great company, great mission"

I worked at Center for Open Science

Pros

Incredible startup culture that recognizes contributions and has a good mission

Cons

The organization is flat so not too much room for growth

Center for Open Science2019-01-07

"If you're ambitious, talented, want to grow as an individual and to help grow a company, LOOK ELSEWHERE"

I have been working at Center for Open Science full-time

Pros

Free lunch on Tuesday. Mostly great colleagues. Starting pay is usually fair (but doesn't increase).

Cons

We are an excuse factory with no real leadership. We spend all of our time making excuses for why we didn't accomplish anything or why we can't try something new, rather than coming up with creative solutions or letting our talented staff try to solve an issue without being micromanaged. All of our ambitious and creative people have been reduced to a depressing state and it shows through poor attendance at work,... even including happy hour, and our record rate of attrition. Everyone is bored and looking for a new challenge, but there are none here, so people are going elsewhere. Next Friday is the last day for 3 people who just resigned, and we only have about 40 people on staff. I should also mention that we rarely refill positions, we just overload others to save money (without giving raises, of course). Looking for a mentor or professional development? Forget about it. We have been fighting for that for several years and have received nothing. As with everything else, these requests are continually deferred until we are 100% certain of something. Certain of what, nobody knows. How you can ever be 100% certain in business, nobody knows either. Looking to help grow a company, who will also reward you for your ambition and successes? Forget about it. "Leadership" will gladly accept your successes to claim as their own, but you will not get recognition, appreciation, or a compensation increase. These requests are indefinitely deferred as well. I could go on, but the thought of it just bores me even more.

Advice to Management

You have some talented people but the numbers are dwindling. Start caring about retaining the talent you have and developing everyone into better people, in whatever role they fill, because the current environment is toxic across the entire organization. Employee attrition will not solve this problem, because it is an issue with "leadership" and the organization as a whole, not with individual employees. If you... start to care about your staff, help them develop as individuals, and provide opportunities for growth, you would see a drastically different company culture take shape and our productivity would grow exponentially. Figure out how to be the leaders your people need before it's too late.

Center for Open Science2018-10-10
  6. "Good work environment"

I worked at Center for Open Science

Pros

Everyone there is really easygoing, promoting a positive and encouraging atmosphere

Cons

Was left to my own devices a little too often

Center for Open Science2018-09-11

"Good experience for your first internship"

Developer Intern in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Center for Open Science for less than a year

Pros

I interned at COS in 2016. I gained surprisingly legitimate experience. I was put on a real project and had a lot of freedom, and I ended up writing considerably more lines of code than I did at my 2nd or 3rd internship (this was my first internship). Center for Open Science's internship is definitely closer to real world experience than a lot of bigger companies that pay more and look more impressive on paper.... Really awesome workplace environment. Even though they don't pay their employees very much, they've still been able to implement a lot of the cool parts of start-up culture.

Cons

I made $12.50/hr which is the lowest paying software internship I've ever heard of. Although there were some good engineers at the company, the overall quality of engineer was poor, and the company was not managed very well. This is to be expected from a non-profit software company run out of Charlottesville. Having a cool mission can only make up for so much quality.

Center for Open Science2018-07-06

"Great Place To Work! Any Criticisms Are Nitpicking (But Still Important and Valid)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Center for Open Science full-time for more than a year

Pros

COS has an environment that, just like their mission statement, strives for transparency. It's a friendly and calm workplace, and the managers are generally helpful in helping you accomplish what you need to accomplish. The mission is incredibly rewarding to be a part of, and I feel like I'm not just working for a paycheck, I'm working to make the world a better place.

Cons

It gets deafeningly quiet. Open office can be nice but can also be suffocating in its own way. Non-profit job security is by its very nature not 100%.

Advice to Management

Most of my issues are systemic / emergent ones that might be difficult to fix. My best advice would be to continue to constantly learn from mistakes and focus on internally improving the organization, like you always have.

Center for Open Science2017-12-05

"Overall nice place to work"

I have been working at Center for Open Science part-time

Pros

Freedom to work on whatever you want, nice environment

Cons

payment is a little bit low

Center for Open Science2017-09-05
  10. "Great company to intern for"

Former Intern - Developer Intern in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Center for Open Science for more than a year

Pros

Able to choose projects to work on

Cons

Open office makes conversation sometimes uncomfortable for everyone

Center for Open Science2017-08-03
  11. "Great place to start."

I worked at Center for Open Science

Pros

They are willing to let their interns make real and impactful contributions to the project. The people there are friendly and caring.

Cons

Relative to other software developer internships the pay is a bit low.

Center for Open Science2017-06-23