Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Hannigan

"Good for entry level and mid career social workers"

Former Employee - Assistant Program Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Program Director in New York, NY

Pros

The organization has great training opportunities and staff support. There are also many opportunities for advancement. The most useful was the support group for new supervisors. The organization also brainstorms frequently whenever there is a staff turnover, and looks within itself regarding how they can improve their practices. CUCS prides itself on client empowerment and providing exemplary services to underserved communities. This is a good company to gain experience and employee growth is encouraged. One of the best companies that I have worked for so far.

Cons

Salary is low, comparable to the similar position in other agencies. Line staff was not aware of many of the individuals that management staff have are accountable to, regarding program numbers. Staff was unaware of the reasons for many of the new program changes and micromanagement. Medical benefits were not adequately explained, and health care was very expensive.

Advice to Management

Share some of the reasons for program changes with staff, and also remind them that programs are accountable to numerous program funders and directors

"Rewarding clients, lousy management"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work with clients was challenging and often sad. But their large and small victories were truly something to celebrate.

Cons

It is a very challenging environment to work in. Some clients were combative, and sometimes I feared for my safety. I got little to no support from my supervisors (or their supervisors). And the pay for a masters level position was not good. My entire team turned over within 3 years (I lasted 2.5). There was a very high turnover rate and didn't seem to be any effort at staff retention.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff's feedback. They're the ones on the line providing the direct services.

3. "Great for entry level professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This organization has a great mission to help the underserved. There are some truly dedicated and wonderful staff who work hard and go above and beyond.

Cons

The population served by the organization is extremely difficult and complicated - suited for seasoned, experienced professionals. However the pay scale (low) and workload (high) can only attract/hold onto entry level workers who learn the ropes then move onto better jobs, which ultimately hurts the clients. Extremely high turn over of front line workers. The company operates on micromanagement.

Advice to Management

It's good to be idealistic in this field, however, remember we're all humans - staff AND the clients served...no one is perfect. Be more accepting, not punishing.

5. "Care coordinator"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who love helping their clients and each other.
    Straight, Monday through Friday, 9-5 position.
    Variety of clients and a growing company.
    Career opportunities available

Cons

Very low pay for a very high caseload. If any issues occur or if you're having problems and speak about it to your manager you get questioned on whether or not you can handle it. Not very much support from upper-level staff and they seem to put on a front with employees and have the supervisor deal with any discipline. Very passive aggressive

Advice to Management

Allow more transparency with employees. Employee should be able to speak their minds during meetings without repercussions

6. "Great place learn and work."

Current Employee - Front Door Attendant in Roosevelt, NY
    Current Employee - Front Door Attendant in Roosevelt, NY

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere was welcome, and answers met with clarity and curious responses. All the staff poured into you and in returned accepted your pour of knowledge and information. And there is room for advancement.

Cons

Staffing of per diem with experience and a heart to serve the underserved community is a challenging task.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work you are so needed. At my work-site, they are awesome people.

7. "Chaos"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time

Pros

The staff are generally very young and very smart and care deeply about helping the clients. They do a lot of good work for this underserved population.

Cons

Management rolls out one new thing after the other rather than focusing on doing well with the tasks they are already committed to. They don't allow staff to ever catch their breath and focus on doing their basic tasks well. They work them into the ground and can be dismissive and punative if staff express overwhelm or speak up about concerns. Management wants to keep expanding and impulsively going from one new thing to the other, only later to realize it was poorly planned and they have to give up on it to move onto the next new thing. This leads to a lot of staff frustration, very high turnover and inexperienced management because the only ones who stay are young and only taking the opportunity to advance their careers as far as they can until they get sick and burned out and have to move on.

Advice to Management

Slow down and let staff catch their breath.

8. "Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY

Pros

A lot of opportunity for advancement. Great place to start social work career. Good professional development opportunities and supervision.

Cons

Can feel like a bit of a revolving door.

9. "CUCS Outreach Worker"

Former Employee - Outreach Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Outreach Worker in New York, NY

Pros

The staff, including my supervisor, were very supportive and accommodating. As an outreach worker, my schedule was very flexible. I scheduled in which clients I wanted to visit throughout the day and when I wanted to take my lunch break.

Cons

Given that it is a social services agency, the offices near Times Square are not so picturesque. It feels a bit cramped and dingy, but as an outreach worker, I spent most of my hours outdoors reaching out to clients anyway. Going door-to-door to clients' homes becomes monotonous and seems futile at some point, because most aren't home or don't answer. I can't help but feel that there must be a better way to reach out, like perhaps information sessions about the services CUCS offers at local public schools, community centers, and libraries.

"Do not speak your mind"

Former Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the front line staff has a wealth of knowledge. Opportunity to experience a varied population of clients. You will learn how to pretend the supervisors know what they are talking about.

Cons

The management team operates in an under handed manner. They are not experienced in the work that front line staff is doing. They lack practical answers. Management plays staff against each other and labels all staff in a negative light. Staff is often asked for feedback and then punished when it is not to management's liking. You will be told you need to.speak your mind but don't do it unless you are cheering for management. Pay is very low and health insurance has.gone completely down hill. Hr is very unhelpful and turn over is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Listen to the opinions of your staff when you ask for advice.

"Walk the talk."

Current Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY

Pros

Opportunities for growth. Great training. Great overall company culture that really values the well being of employees and consumers. Pretty good benefits - don't take the Aetna HMO plan (it covers NOTHING and nobody takes it).

Cons

Low pay. Ancient computer systems. Work environment varies by site. I worked at two sites: the first was very supportive, close knit, and supportive of mutual growth and development. The second was very cliquey, catty, and gossipy. Co-workers often noticeably allowed counter-transference to affect how they (differentially) treated consumers. Chose wisely.