Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Tony Hannigan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Little distinction between social workers and case managers" (in 4 reviews)

• "you are often supervised by people that are ill equipped to be in their role" (in 2 reviews)

"Really amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work with amazing clients and amazing staff. Seriously the best job I ever had. I worked on the ACT team and it changed my life

Cons

Intense work, demanding deadlines for paperwork, salary was not as high as it could have been.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Social Worker"

Current Employee - Social Worker
    Current Employee - Social Worker

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time

Pros

Organized, opportunities to move up, team focused and I had wonderful coworkers

Cons

Management leadership varies. I had a great supervisor, but I had coworkers who had terrible ones. Biggest complaint has been the pay, but I really enjoyed working there.

Advice to Management

Increase employee pay & be fair to staff who are putting in the work

3. "Great entry level social work job"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time

Pros

Great social work experience, hands-on management and supervisory staff, focus on team-building

Cons

Feel underpaid, demanding work, high staff turnover puts stress on remaining staff members at my particular site

Advice to Management

Continue to increase pay for front-line staff; invest in more support and benefits for staff

4. "Run from this Place! Hostile Work Environment"

Current Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager III in New York, NY

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adequate trainings at the main office located in East Harlem.

Cons

Do not work for this agency. They lie on the job descriptions posted online and at the face to face interviews. They do not inform you that you will be monitoring clients insulin which is a medical duty not social services line of practice. They also do no inform you that there are quotes and if you do not meet them each month that you are threatened with being written up. Culture of micro-management and very hostile and passive aggressive management form clinical social workers, assist direct, and director at this location in Flat Iron. Clinical Supervisors treat the clients like children and are vindictive towards workers at the site located in the Flat Iron district in mid town. CM have been sexual harassed by clients and management does nothing. Very high turn over rate!!

Advice to Management

Train clinical supervisors and upper management to be supportive and not vindictive towards workers. A complete management change needs to happen at this location.

"Unexperienced supervisors and a culture of micromanagement"

Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

Pros

Opportunities for advancement and trainings, though if your caseload is high you’ll be thinking of what needs to be done at your desk the whole time you’re there.

Cons

My problem was with my supervisor for the most part. Good supervisors in the past have asked for the problem, teased it out and added insight, then collaboratively discussed possible solutions. This supervisor, and from what I gather other supervisors in the organization, would instead decide upon an intervention without asking the clinician, who ostensibly knows the client best, for feedback. I decided I didn’t like implementing interventions that went against my clinical judgment and prefer to have more discretion in how I interact with clients. I was actually given more latitude in my internships while still in school and this job felt like a step backwards. I noticed that many supervisors in this org aren’t given much leadership training, so newer ones tend to micromanage the workers. This is probably the only organizational issue I can identify and of course, everyone is different. My program’s management was top notch otherwise, though I did quickly becoming persona non grata once I resigned. I guess that should be expected, but I thought it was a shame.

Advice to Management

Give supervisors the tools to manage direct reports confidently and effectively so they don’t feel the need to be over involved.

"Blah"

Former Employee - Outreach Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Outreach Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging but rewarding helping formerly homeless population

President nd Vice President are easy to talk to

There’s always salary increase

Cons

Upper management tend to micro manage
    When it comes to Medicaid billing they tend to be even more on top of you.

7. "Every Program is Different"

I have been working at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time

Pros

Access to plenty of free training to improve and obtain new skills.

Cons

There are many different programs with new ones opening up every year. Some programs are much easier than others. Despite this disparity, salaries are the same across the board i.e. a case manager at a shelter in the Bronx is making the same amount as a case manager at a permanent housing site in Chelsea.

Advice to Management

Don't spread too thin.

8. "Rewarding experience in Case Management"

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) part-time

Pros

Working with a team to help support clients with varying needs. Lots of training opportunities.

Cons

Not every facility is the most hygienic

"Overall good experience"

Pros

Overall CUCS is a well-functioning organization that cares about both of its clients and staff and has excellent training opportunities,

Cons

Your experience largely dependent on the management of the site that you worked at.

"I have PTSD from office politics"

I worked at Center for Urban Community Service (CUCS) full-time

Pros

Good mission. Can be a good learning experience. Good trainings.

Cons

Working here was traumatizing, not because of the clients (they're great) but because of psycho management. It's a snake pit. There are clear favorites and other employees get harassed with borderline unethical tactics. Will talk about some employees in their absence to other staff in negative ways, calling people "crazy," and making fun of them. Very shaming and polarizing. Staff that are disliked by management are scapegoated.
    Saw several employees be bullied to the point that they left the agency. A traumatizing work environment. Some sites may be better than others.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries and hire more qualified supervisors; make an effort to hire and promote a more diverse staff. Cultural competence is more than just a once a year training.