CenterPoint Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

CenterPoint Energy President and CEO Scott M. Prochazka
Scott M. Prochazka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In some pockets there is the good ole boy attitude (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is not that great (in 5 reviews)

"It's who you know, not your qualifications"

Former Employee - Construction in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Construction in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of overtime, whether you want it or not.
    They match 6% in your 401 k
    You get to work outside most of the time.

Cons

It's not what you know, but who you know.
    It makes for extremely weak, and unqualified management, in the local office anyway.

"Faux-New Age Culture, Same God Ol Boy Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would say it is hard to boil it down to the company as whole. Aside from the fact that CNP Inc the parent company has a DIZZYING amount of subsidiaries and partnered LLCs, each separate major division be is Electric, Gas, Finance, Legal, etc was so fragmented and subject to it's own pros and cons. I worked in finance at an entry level position and moved up. Pros of the company overall are:

-Claims of valuing diversity
    -Claims of wanting to promote and grow it's employees careers
    -Claims about caring for the community
    -Claims of being more progressive or "with the times" and not so stuffy
    -Legit incredibly decent benefits package during my stay from 2009-2015
    -Legit decent holiday and vacation for both part and full time employees

Addressing the claims, at least they present themselves as a company that values diversity and helping women succeed. In practice, however, you could often see the men rising quickly while women and POC's careers moved at snails pace if at all. The community work they did is a great way to make a company that hires a ton of contractors (i.e. no benefits) and exacerbates the fossil fuel industry that GREATLY impacts the South East Texas region it is headquartered at as oppose to investing more heavily in renewable energy. They DO offer college reimbursement for full time employees, but you DO have to front the tuition and costs up front. I personally do not believe the goals of this company align with mine. I would cautiously recommend this company to a friend due to the cons. It's a great place as far as the work is steady and you can slowly watch the life bleed out of you unless you just LOVE bro'ing it up with your colleagues or legitimately enjoy the insanely boring work you'd do in finance. I say that WITH full on experience that no matter how good or poor someone was at their job, FEW people actually enjoyed it and got through the stress/tedium/drain by supplementing with outside distractions.

Cons

Being told how certain women were chosen to serve on boards because they "look ethnic", when they weren't, to bolster claims of diversity was devastating. Dealing with structural racism and sexism where activities are centered around male hobbies as team building without considering women. Watching a multi-billion dollar company make incredibly short-sighted merger plans to bolster fracking as opposed to being bold and calculating long-term energy needs of Green energy was disappointing, but YES, understood as a function of an energy delivery company.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at young white males and thinking, "Ah, that used to be me" and do a better job of connecting with the brilliant men AND women of all different backgrounds. No office card and a "thanks for your work pen" is going to make up for being underpaid for years and given veiled excuses deflecting the fact that you don't value the work or future of SOME employees versus others based on what can only be a reflection on race or sex because others were certainly producing better work than white male counterparts promoted less than a year of hire with CONSTANT hands on training from management that was never afforded to others at the extent as them.

"A company stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Business Process Representative I in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Business Process Representative I in Shreveport, LA

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Most coworkers are friendly and nice
    -Reasonable salaries
    -Good work/life balance

Cons

-Terrible management (had gotten better by the time I left; maybe it's improved by now)
    -Old-fashioned ways of doing things and inability to innovate and change
    -Talk about the importance of values but don't actually follow through in adhering to those values

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees have to say, and the suggestions that they make towards improving processes and workflow. Don't stick your head in the sand and pretend to not know about things that are obviously wrong and adversely affecting your employees.

4. "Call Center Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at CenterPoint Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Stable Company and Quick Lunch Options. Good company to work for if you are not a Customer Service Representative in the call center.

Cons

Call center environment with high call volume so you will be tied to your chair for 8 hours with no break except for lunch. Another con is 90% of the calls are from nasty customers upset that they have been disconnected for nonpayment. Even if you have thick skin, it will get to you as each and everyday is taking call from upset people who will cuss you out when you have to uphold the company policies. Its was a rule that we could not disconnect from any caller no matter how disrespectful or name calling they did. I consider myself a very patient and helpful customer service representative but being called the "B..." word & other nasty language is unacceptable and its done because the gas customer knows they say anything and we can not disconnect the call from them.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Fight for your customer service reps who are taking the direct front line beating of nasty callers. Make it a rule that may after 2 or 3 times of telling a nasty caller that their language is unacceptable and if it does not change, you will have to disconnect the call. Other customer service companies I worked for would not tolerate disrespect of their workers. Maybe you would not have such a high turn over rate in your call center if you fight for your front line employees.

5. "Potential But Missing The Mark"

I worked at CenterPoint Energy as a contractor

Pros

- Decent pay
    - Younger people are nice

Cons

- Generational Gap
    - Management is stuck in their ways

Advice to Management

Grow with the times

6. "Co Workers are great. Management is controlling and retaliation."

Former Employee - Service Tech
    Former Employee - Service Tech

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Benefits are decent. A lot of good co workers that work here. Can't really add to much more then that

Cons

Very little training program. A lot of employees not trained properly. Sad and scary. Upper management should look into training their employees especially working with the public

7. "CSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

I worked at CenterPoint Energy (More than 8 years)

Pros

The medical and dental benefits were good as well as vacation and sick time

Cons

Corporate didn't communicate well with other states.

8. "Good Money- Bad Management"

I worked at CenterPoint Energy as a contractor

Pros

Great Rates for Contractors; Good Location

Cons

Poor Treatment of Contract Employees. Horrible Managers

Advice to Management

make sure the managers have management and people skills

9. "Entry level"

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time

Pros

You have the ability to gain experience and knowledge in other areas of the company that can assist you into new adventures.

Cons

Even though you can gain experience in other areas it takes a long time for you to get an opportunity to use that knowledge in a different department.

Advice to Management

I don't have a problem with management personally the rules are the rules and can't fault them if you break them.

"All management levels seem preoccupied with power over each other rather than concentrating on business & employee needs"

Current Employee - Journeyman Distribution Dispatcher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Journeyman Distribution Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been here 31 years and have 6 weeks vacation and paid holidays. During times of medical problems they have paid me.

Cons

When taking medical time off management places secret notes and may have more than one employee file on each person. Promotions based on good old boy system in bargaining positions.