Centerline Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 63 reviews

3.3
Centerline Digital CEO Charles Long
Charles Long
Pros
  • "Pizza Fridays and there are a few good people left although our best talent has gone to Red Hat and other places(in 11 reviews)

• "some of the most talented people make work easy(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper Management, in particular the CEO(in 7 reviews)

• "As with most account teams; clients come first and creatives come second(in 7 reviews)

1. "Read reviews, but create your own opinion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being in the marketing field for a while, Centerline carries all attributes that your normal agency carries: strengths and weaknesses due to the ever evolving industry. The difference Centerline carries is they also evolve with the times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t (in which things change again). This keeps the company relevant, fresh, and a energized environment. If you want to work here, you will. If... you don’t, you won’t. The creatives are badasses.

Cons

I wouldn’t find it as a con, but others may: it’s fast paced and some of the work feels limited in creativity but that’s not at fault of Centerline, it’s the client. You’ll learn this pushes you and the work.

Advice to Management

Keep listening

Centerline Digital2019-05-17
  2. "Be confident in what you bring to the table, but be willing to learn from the people around you."

Former Employee - Senior Art Director

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

So. Here is the deal. Glassdoor is really not the most effective place to get a sense of a place, or the site to truly summarize a company, though here it is and here we are. I stayed up too late writing this (on a weekday nonetheless), but it is worth doing for you future Centerliner. I wanted to put this time in for you. While I'd more likely recommend you reach out directly to a handful of recent former... employees or even reach out to a person who does what you want to do there now- They are all great people; I will try to distill some elements of truth in my tenure at CL, with the hope I help you along your career. 1. The people are smart, talented, and driven. Everyone really does try to focus on doing what they do best, the most successful people here are the ones who ask questions when they don’t know and listen to the people around them. Your passion for what you do will be matched here. Everyone wants to do great work, and are willing to put the effort in with you to make something the best it can be. They have some extremely talented people and I say that truly objectively ( not because I'd consider them friends ) CL has a rare knack for collecting some great people. The best people that do well here are solution focused creatives. 2. You will grow . But it won’t always be exactly how you expect. Sure you will get to come up with ideas, solve difficult problems, do amazing work, meet tight event deadlines. You’ll gain valuable industry knowledge, but you’ll pick up so much more from the people around you. The overwhelming majority of people who have worked here are better for it and have probably made some long term friends along the way, that says something. 3. There is always something interesting to do. Every project will have its unique challenges, no creative stone will be left un-turned. CL projects are a mix of "apollo 13 box scene" problem solving - to work that would make your extended family proud, but still not understand exactly what you do. You can do great things here. 4. You should be honest with yourself. The Agency world can’t be for everyone. Search the reviews of other agencies in the area, use that as a filter here as well. Read ( most of ) the 3-5 star reviews and that should give you a pretty solid perspective, see where the overlap is on these. Filter out the hyperbole language, the "I was tolds", and the world is endings. Be confident in what you bring to the table, but be willing to learn from the people around you. Focus on doing your job well 1st then branch out. When you interview be candid, ask real questions, talk about what you want to get out of a place like this. Things change at Centerline, reviews over a year old really don't apply as well to where they are today. 5. If your gut tells you there is an opportunity, go for it. 6. You can spend 8+ years here and be better off because of it. Anecdotally that's a fact .

Cons

So I mostly wrote everything up top. Read that.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching out to employees on how they feel CL can be better. 360 reviews are a valuable tool to keep using across the board. Continuing the pro-bono work I found was a good way for creatives to stretch out a bit and grow as well. I kinda liked the employee of the month thing we did way back as it created conversations around performance more often and set the true CL standard.

Centerline Digital2019-04-23
  3. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Business and Operations Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Centerline Digital is such a cool place to work! They really take care of their employees by offering food events (pizza Fridays!), excellent benefits, and recognition of great work.

Cons

I have yet to see any downsides to working here. Perhaps the fast paced environment, constant changes, or shifting priorities are not for everyone.

Centerline Digital2019-03-12
  4. "Great Creative Agency"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great agency that promotes collaboration and teamwork. Everyone who works there truly loves what they do and are willing to work hard.

Cons

Not many cons, as an agency it is a fast paced lifestyle- which definitely doesn't suit everyone.

Centerline Digital2019-01-22
  5. "Positive change"

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, work -life balance, people, location, passion, clients, industry.

Cons

N/A from what I’ve experience since initial contact until now. Continuing to love it.

Centerline Digital2019-01-04

"Worse than you could ever think!"

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

I had a few good friends at CL that got me through the nightmare of working there. Of course, because they were talented, they left long before I was laid off/fired this past year. The cool building impressed me when I started but that wears off really fast when you realize how poorly you will be treated. Free snacks but again, not worth losing any shred of dignity which you will lose quickly working here.

Cons

Middle management is untalented and ineffective. They stay because there is no way any good agency would hire them. They are hacks and only keep their jobs because they are all yes men/women to the CEO who is a child in a man's body. He only cares about the bottom line, not his employees at all. Ask anyone who used to work here, they are so relieved to get out! Pretty much the entire HR department up and quit in the... last year. Does that tell you anything? Read all the other reviews since there are just so many cons I can only cover a few in this short space. In the reviews the company writes to counteract these honest and truthful ones always say things like, yes, we are fast-paced and have tight deadlines. Working hard and tight deadlines don't bother me at all- but being treated horribly does! I watched other coworkers be treated even worse than I was treated. There is no end to the horror show that is Centerline. You don't realize how bad it was until you are in a normal working environment again and realize what you put up with! Don't even put yourself through it! Any job is better.

Advice to Management

You would not take advice from anyone and you fire those who disagree with you so it is probably pointless to offer any, but try and treat your employees with more respect. Make an effort to be a human.

Centerline Digital2018-11-26
  7. "Solid Private Agency - Worth The Resume & Personal Growth Experience"

Former Employee - Account Leadership Team in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clients comes first. Pay is on point. Clients are big name brands. Promotions are given quicker than other agencies when you work hard and show contributions to client and agency revenue.

Cons

Clients come first. This doesn't bother me but if you're looking for warm and fuzzy management who will always take your side even when you wrong you will not want to be here. They will stand up for you if you're right though. Clients are struggling a bit and their new biz plan isn't setup to replace the lost business from existing clients.

Centerline Digital2018-03-21

"Don't come here expecting a long-term job: you WILL be let go"

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm trying exceptionally hard to think of a pro here, but looking back, my entire experience there was a nightmare. Please understand that I am not writing this review as a knee-jerk reaction to being let go. I was fired from this job in April of 2015 and I am writing this review now in January of 2018. I have worked for numerous other companies since then and looking back, I honestly cannot think of a single... "pro" that I would feel comfortable giving that advice to ANYONE. The only pro I can think of was the free beer downstairs that we could drink after work hours. Take from that what you want, but if that's the only pro I can even think of, that alone should say a lot about this company.

Cons

You will eventually be randomly fired; At least once a week, I'd receive an email notification in my inbox saying something along the lines of: "_____ is no longer with the company, effective immediately". Since this was the first big agency I had worked for, I really didn't think anything of it until the exact same situation happened to me. I became one of those people randomly fired. Let's go back and... start from the beginning. I do not care about anonymity. Centerline should be able to figure out who this review is coming from, if they are curious, so my employment here was from September 1, 2014 - April 1, 2015. I moved to Raleigh to accept the position. I was hired on to do a big Drupal project for a specific client who is near the top of the Fortune 500 list. The project was a big success and I was very proud of the work I did and the client was very satisfied, as well. Then, less than a month after the project was finished, I was let go. NO REASON WAS GIVEN. The only thing that was said to me at the time was: "Today is your last day at Centerline Digital". I was then asked to go leave my laptop on my desk upstairs. I wasn't even allowed to clear out my desk on the same day! I had to come back in the next day at 7 AM before employees got there to clear out my desk and take personal items home while nobody else was in the office. I even tried emailing them to get more information on what I did wrong, but they never would tell me anything. I have consistently heard the exact same things from numerous other people who have worked there in the past. I would list names, but for the sake of anonymity, even though I don't care if Centerline knows who I am in writing this review, I'm not going to assume others would feel the same. Additionally, while I worked here, I essentially wrecked my car once we were all told after a snowstorm via email to come into the office or take PTO. The email they sent out at the time even contained the phrase or something very similar to: "the roads are fine" (which they obviously weren't). Since I didn't have any accrued PTO at the time, I was forced to come into the office for fear of losing my job. I didn't even make it out of my neighborhood until I slid on ice into the back of an SUV, and it actually totaled my car since it broke the intake of my engine and sucked plastic into the engine of my car, and I was told the engine would have had to have been replaced.. This is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE considering we all had laptops with us at home anyways and me working from home for the rest of that day vs having to choose to risk our safety coming into work when the roads were covered in ice.

Advice to Management

Do not treat your employees like they are expendable pieces of trash. Especially when you drive your Ferrari to work all the time, Charles (CEO). That gives off the impression that you care more about your own personal wealth and showing that off to the world than you do your actual employees. Do NOT forget that employees are what gave you your wealth and helped you build. I don't mind if you have a Ferrari,... but don't drive it to work and show it off all the time WHILE you are constantly firing employees once they are done with a specific project you only hired them on for, with the full intention of letting them go afterwards. This combination gives off a terrible impression of the company and the CEO. Don't put all your damn eggs in one basket; After I left, someone told me that IBM was 94% of Centerline's revenue and that IBM decided to move things in-house, essentially taking away 94% of their revenue. I was told that they were forced to lay off a bunch of people after this and actually I can verify that lay offs did happen at this time as you can find news stories about this with a simple google search. Hopefully management has learned this by now from making this mistake.

Centerline Digital2018-01-27

"smart, talented coworkers"

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

Everyone says the people are the best reason to work at Centerline and it's true. I've been at Centerline almost 3 years and I've learned so much from the people I work with. There are so many truly talented, interesting people. I love sharing ideas and learning from the people I'm surrounded by.

Cons

Communication. It's easy at times to put your head down and work on your own projects without talking with other groups. We need better ways to communicate and not operate in silos.

Advice to Management

Help improve communication within the agency. Teams need to talk to each other in order to feel engaged.

Centerline Digital2017-08-08

"Centerline is IMPLODING. Working here is complete chaos and depressing."

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

Pizza Fridays and there are a few good people left although our best talent has gone to Red Hat and other places.

Cons

I never write reviews but after seeing my company advertise for an associate creative director when we just fired one and laid off three only a few months ago I felt like those job seeking deserved to know what they are getting into. Things seemed okay until the end of April where we all received an email not to come into work so they could lay off 24 employees who did not get that email. Two or three more people... quit the same day! Sitting among all the empty desks was depressing but we were told that was the end of layoffs and tried to believe it. Weeks later the company's Vice President was pushed out with little warning. That really made people uneasy. If that wasn't enough for us all to start job hunting asap, half the HR department quit on the same day and other people started disappearing with an email following their sudden departure. This seemed like layoffs to me. The final blow was a week ago, the only good creative director here, someone who had been with Centerline for at least 15 years just quit to take a demotion at another company just to get out! The rest of us are being moved into a general area so that parts of the building can be rented out to other businesses to generate income I guess. Everyone is looking to get out now. One of us just took a job commuting to another city just to leave this place! It is just about the worst company I can imagine working for. Go anywhere else as I don't think we will be around much longer. It's as bad as it could be and morale could not be any lower.

Advice to Management

The managers there are now only worried about themselves and trying to save their jobs and not interested in managing or doing anything for the employees. It's probably way too late to turn anything around now.

Centerline Digital2017-08-21