Centerline Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Centerline Digital Founder & CEO Charles Long
Charles Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • More important to me was that during the time i worked there I had the opportunity to make really great work with very talented people (in 11 reviews)

• Some fun perks - Beer, Pizza Fridays, and fitness hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management, in particular the CEO (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"smart, talented coworkers"

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

Everyone says the people are the best reason to work at Centerline and it's true. I've been at Centerline almost 3 years and I've learned so much from the people I work with. There are so many truly talented, interesting people. I love sharing ideas and learning from the people I'm surrounded by.

Cons

Communication. It's easy at times to put your head down and work on your own projects without talking with other groups. We need better ways to communicate and not operate in silos.

Advice to Management

Help improve communication within the agency. Teams need to talk to each other in order to feel engaged.

"Centerline is IMPLODING. Working here is complete chaos and depressing."

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

Pizza Fridays and there are a few good people left although our best talent has gone to Red Hat and other places.

Cons

I never write reviews but after seeing my company advertise for an associate creative director when we just fired one and laid off three only a few months ago I felt like those job seeking deserved to know what they are getting into. Things seemed okay until the end of April where we all received an email not to come into work so they could lay off 24 employees who did not get that email. Two or three more people quit the same day! Sitting among all the empty desks was depressing but we were told that was the end of layoffs and tried to believe it. Weeks later the company's Vice President was pushed out with little warning. That really made people uneasy. If that wasn't enough for us all to start job hunting asap, half the HR department quit on the same day and other people started disappearing with an email following their sudden departure. This seemed like layoffs to me. The final blow was a week ago, the only good creative director here, someone who had been with Centerline for at least 15 years just quit to take a demotion at another company just to get out! The rest of us are being moved into a general area so that parts of the building can be rented out to other businesses to generate income I guess. Everyone is looking to get out now. One of us just took a job commuting to another city just to leave this place! It is just about the worst company I can imagine working for. Go anywhere else as I don't think we will be around much longer. It's as bad as it could be and morale could not be any lower.

Advice to Management

The managers there are now only worried about themselves and trying to save their jobs and not interested in managing or doing anything for the employees. It's probably way too late to turn anything around now.

"Awful Management"

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

- Good people
    - Location
    - Pizza and beer

Cons

Management is awful. No clear direction for the company. Build an extension to the building, while losing money and clients, and then fired (via email) 20+% of their staff. They tried to spin that as it being the best way to communicate with that many people, but really they didn't want to face the employees. They randomly let people go, for no reason, with no explanation and replace them with unqualified, cheaper, people.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Dishonest Management"

Former Employee - Sales Creative Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Creative Lead

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the company uses direct deposit for paychecks. don't have to deal with the lines at the bank for depositing your check.

Cons

two co-workers said they saw the management team going through my desk. when this was discussed with management, they fired me on the spot.

Advice to Management

respect privacy

"Not enough good to outweigh the absolutely horrible"

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

The only reason to work here is that you'll meet some amazing and talented people. But don't get too attached - no one sticks around long.

Cons

Creatives are the workhorses of the company, and are undervalued and underpaid. Upper management is focused on the "new" and "shiny" - like opening a second location - when they can't afford to keep their talent. Everyone still employed here is looking for other opportunities. The management team is incredibly weak - don't expect any helpful feedback or ways to grow. They're main focus is sucking up to the man, who only cares about the wad of money in his own pocket. Promotions are offered at their discretion, not based on talent or merit. There is no work-life balance - expect to work long hours, hit unreasonable deadlines, and create work that you won't want to include in your portfolio.

Advice to Management

You hire talented people and squander their skills. Replace the management team with actual people leaders who can bring out the best of employees. Treat your team like adults. Don't focus on meaningless "perks" like pizza and beer, and instead focus on promoting your employees and paying them what they deserve.

"Experience and Opportunity"

Former Employee - Animator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Animator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Centerline for just about four years and over that time I enjoyed the people, the work and the company. As many of the previous reviews reveal quite bluntly, agency work is not for everyone. The deadlines are tight, the hours can be taxing and there are times where you can grow frustrated with clients because, after all, they are clients and not creatives.
    That being said, I really enjoyed my time working at Centerline. They find talented and personable employees and in my experience there was room for development and growth within the company if you are motivated and/or interested enough to pursue it. More important to me was that during the time i worked there I had the opportunity to make really great work with very talented people. I learned a lot, improved and expanded my skill set and my experience there has truly helped me as I moved on in my career.

Cons

The cons of Centerline, to me at least, were very much related to general agency work... short timelines, long hours, and sometimes just general frustration with clients. If you have done agency work in the past you will understand. There are plenty of negative reviews to read, but i have none of that to say.

Advice to Management

When you find talent, keep it. It's a hard task in this industry but it makes for better, stronger and more compelling work. Making great work keeps most creatives happy and you can't do it without the talent.

"1/4 of the company quits each year. 20% staff layoffs in Q1 2017."

Current Employee - Creative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Creative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office. Some fun perks - Beer, Pizza Fridays, and fitness hours [which are difficult to take].

Cons

The culture is misleading and regressive. Management leads out of fear. 25% of the company quit each year.

Q1 of 2017, 20% of the staff was laid off - via e-mail. One was on vacation. One was on maternity leave.

It's also a "Boy's Club". If you're a female, you will not receive maternity leave, and you probably won't make it into the highest-level management because of Charles misogynistic style of leadership.

Entry to mid-level employees are horribly underpaid and worked like mules. Executive level wasn't affected by layoffs, nor seemed too concerned about general morale. There is little to no work/life balance. You will work long hours, constantly.

Also - please note that there was an influx of positive reviews March 2017, within a weeks time. Looks very fake.

Advice to Management

Cut the act. Start treating your employees fairly. Stop leading out of fear. You've hired great people, let them do their jobs. Get rid of your mid/high level managers that have been there 5 plus years. They are complacent and irrelevant to the creatives they lead.

Centerline Digital Response

May 5, 2017 – COO

I felt compelled to respond to your review for a few key reasons. As you might already know, I am the COO. I am a female and I am a single mother. I have worked at Centerline for over 12 years. I... More

"No Respect"

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

The people are very approachable and welcoming. There is a bar that opens at 430pm. Pizza Fridays.

Cons

Upper Management, in particular the CEO.

Advice to Management

When you need to do a layoff, don't tell affected employees via email. You just confirmed that you have no respect for your staff.

"good people, good company, good opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- most there are there to succeed and help others
    - some of the most talented people make work easy
    - like mentioned in all other reviews: benefits, pizza Friday's, beer downstairs
    - culture is great

Cons

- the pace isn't always ideal, sometimes project timelines are tighter than preferred but that's often the case in agency life
    - complaints and slacking from some of the long-timers who are comfortable in their role

Advice to Management

- recognize the talent on hand; don't overlook the ones that are there to excel and not just work to work
    - promote within if the opportunity is presented

"Good creative company"

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time

Pros

Super creative and talented people
    Interesting projects
    Good clients
    Company cares about physical health with free gym membership and 2 paid fitness hours
    Company builds a team atmosphere with a bar, pizza Fridays and an awesome holiday party
    Good time flexibility
    You'll build a great network

Cons

Projects can be a bit fast; you have to go with the flow and be flexible
    Typical stresses of working at an agency

Advice to Management

Keep your doors open to everyone
    Rely on your best people
    Appreciate the talent in the building