Centinela Feed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Chris Nakagawa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot of animal information that you would not have known before (in 8 reviews)

• 30 % Discount helps with your pets food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to do a lot for a minimum wage pay (in 6 reviews)

• There is a lot of disconnect between what the CEO wants and what upper management thinks is best, and a huge lack of communication between the two (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Centinela Feed full-time

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

Salaries are a bit on the low side of the scale.

Advice to Management

Be generous, your employees are your bread and butter.

2. "Dishonest managers, micromanagement and no sense of direction."

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are really kind to work with.

Cons

No matter how much sales increase and great ideas are brought forth, higher management will never be happy with you.
    They do not give raises.
    Working here will drain the life out of you in every form.
    There is a lot of disconnect between what the CEO wants and what upper management thinks is best, and a huge lack of communication between the two.
    Some coworkers are dishonest and lie or create stories to save their own butts.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and stop expecting so much when you are discombobulated and all over the place. Get organized

3. "Stay far away"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Centinela Feed part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some cool dogs and owners, you learn great nutrition advice for your own pets.

Cons

Under staffed and under appreciated. They ask you when you start if you can occasionally lift 50 pounds, they don't tell you that you'll be doing load literally every single day that you're there. It gets old real fast, nobody pays attention to how you're doing. It doesn't matter if you're a terrible employee or the greatest, they still never really look at what's going on. Everyone is under trained but they expect you to be amazing and nail their secret shops so management can get their 1, 000 dollar bonus. Meanwhile everyone there struggles to make ends meet, there's no real incentive to do better. They might give you a list of things to sell to get a gift card but it's usually stuff people never want to buy.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your employees, give them incentive to sell, hell even giving the person who was secret shopped $100 gift card is better than the pat on the back you so graciously give. Oh, or the write up you give if they fail. There's no real leader.

4. "Great first job, but don't stay too long"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Centinela Feed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First 6 months are great. You learn a lot about pet nutrition, pet health, sales techniques, and how to be a great employee. And most of the skills can carry over to other jobs.

Cons

There is little appreciation for the senior employees. The chance of promotion is not in your favor, and dwindles after the first year.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees, especially to upper management.

5. "Crew Member Review"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my fellow crew member coworkers at Centinela Feed and being able to hang out with people's pets at work. I also learned a lot about a pet's health and needs.

Cons

It was obnoxious that managers would push their crew members to try and sell Centinela Feed's product to customers. When it comes to an owner and their pet, they know what's best and I felt silly trying to tell them what would be more beneficial for their dog. Especially since I did not know if that was true or not! If an owner had questions about one product or another, then okay. But forcing crew members to talk to pet owners about Centinela Feed product when they so clearly have picked out their preferred product is just ridiculous. And I know this is not directly the fault of the assistant managers but of corporate themselves.

While the monthly seminars at headquarters seem beneficial in theory, the rewards system for employees was not worth the hassle. First, the pay raise of 25 cents an hour after successfully passing 10 tests is just ridiculous for living standards in Los Angeles. Second, often times there were not enough employees at the store while these seminars were taking place, creating a bit of chaos.

"General Manager position"

I have been working at Centinela Feed full-time

Pros

Lots of training about pet health
    Good employee discount
    Good people to work with
    They promote a lot from within the company

Cons

No 401k
    Sub par health benefits
    Bad decisions made by upper management

Advice to Management

Get more input from your managers throughout the company on big decisions. It will give you a perspective you do not have.

"General manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Centinela Feed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet cute dogs and some great customers.

Cons

Useless upper management. Leads by fear and write ups. Insane demands with 0 input on how they can be achieved. Upper management will come in and sit in the office and ignore the staff, they will never train management or associates on anything or help them. They come in to yell about how you're not making the impossible sales goals. If anything goes wrong, and it does because they whole organization is utterly useless, they will blame it on store management. They have 0 clue how to keep staff happy and how to run a business. Do not bother with bringing in ideas, whatever you say they will ridicule it and disregard it, especially if you're a woman. I have never seen such high turnover. If you're not making the money they want they will invent reasons to fire you. If you don't have the sense to quit before that happens.

Advice to Management

To my co-workers; Start looking for another job. This company is going down. I have never worked under such horrible and corrupt decision makers before and I have done retail my whole life. I cannot discourage you enough from working here. If you already do you need to quit before they shut down, but you already see the writing on the wall.

To the upper management; karma will find you and deal with you. Good luck finding other jobs when your little company goes belly up.

8. "company Overview"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Centinela Feed (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to learn team work and improve management skills

Cons

Implements changes too frequently

"Willing to hurt for a dollar."

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time

Pros

They are very easy going with taking days off and school schedules.

Cons

They have no idea about animal behavior and they will suggest basic training to owners with dogs who have aggressive issues. Knowing the trainers are not trained to handle those types of cases just to get money out of them and act like its all the owners fault if it does not change anything. Also the dog play yard is a total joke its not safe for employees or pets to be there and the employees are not even trained in how to perform CPR or break up dog fights when they break out. I was terribly sad to see that a company with so much nutrition knowledge but none of them have taken time to learn basic dog behavior.

Advice to Management

Go to other dog daycares and see how they are run and learn some of their policies and protocols.

10. "Inventory Control Specialist"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady, consistent hours, great costumer community, great staff discount,

Cons

Lack of communication from higher tiers of management, lack of support from ordering department, lack of new training for equipment.