Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance program here is very good" (in 13 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very collaborative, which at times is great, but at times also slows down the decision making process" (in 6 reviews)

• "A lot of good talent has been lost due to cost of living in this area" (in 3 reviews)

"Great company, values, employees!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Alliance is mission oriented and cares about the community, members and providers. I enjoy coming to work every day because I am part of a team of smart, fun and committed people. Also, I can tell that top leadership cares about the future, listening to employees and doing what's right.

Benefits are great, competitive pay too and the work life balance program provides flexible schedules.

Best company I've ever worked for hands down!

Cons

The cost of living in the bay area and the traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I appreciate the focus on excellence in what we do, more collaboration between departments and improving the lives of our members.

"QIC"

Former Employee - Quality Improvement Coordinator in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Improvement Coordinator in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people for the most part; beautiful location; nice amenities including onsite gym.

Cons

Alliance has become too corporate. This both contributes to and is a detriment to the organization. The Alliance was built on a grass roots mentality. Staff were family to one another. This feeling has changed significantly over time and they have adopted a corporate infrastructure and environment. Staff are feeling more removed from the cohesive environment. This sentiment is heard across all departments and all levels of seniority.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the grass roots essence that the Alliance was built upon.

Jan 18, 2019 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. It was great to read that you enjoyed our facilities, location and onsite fitness center. Employee health and fitness is... More

"Strong Leadership, Mission, Pay, Benefits, Culture"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

The mission and vision of the company is what drew me here. I wanted a company where I could personally make a difference. I get to do that every day. Health care is a good choice for people that want to impact someone else’s life. That’s why I’m in this profession and the Alliance was a good place for me to land. Pay is great and so are benefits. A ten percent contribution (not match…contribution) to the 401 account is unheard of. PTO is very generous. The work/life balance program here is very good. I love having an onsite gym. I see a strong leadership team here. I feel supported in my work and a lot of my coworkers feel the same. Leadership keeps staff informed by having meetings for all employees quarterly. The culture here is one I have not experienced before. Like a family almost. Lots of people have close relationships. The company does a lot for staff with all the little perks. I think our office is in a beautiful natural setting. I like my walks outside on my breaks. I like also how the Alliance is forward thinking, especially with the sustainability efforts and solar. This helps the environment and saves the company money. Environmental protections are important to me and I like this aspect of the company.

I read some of the recent reviews after the restructure announcement from November and wonder if those people work for the same employer as me. I don’t see power struggles at the leadership level. Personally I get quite a lot of help from my supervisor when I need it. HR has been helpful and responsive when I’ve contacted them. My interview and offer process was good. The onboarding program at the Alliance is one of the best I’ve ever had.

There were layoffs last month and friends of mine who were laid off told me they got severance, health insurance and help with finding new work. The CEO had a company meeting that day and explained the situation. I think that no one likes layoffs but this was done a lot better than in other companies I have been at and most people laid off at my former company didn’t get a severance package at all. The Alliance did it right in my opinion. I’d prefer a management team that can make hard decisions to address too many employees instead keeping people around who didn’t have work to do. I think that with a new CEO and a new COO the restructure could have been predicted. That’s what usually happens when some new leadership comes on at least in my experience at prior companies. I’ve seen reorgs every year at some places.

Cons

Traffic to and from work. Not much the company can do about that but I’m telecommuting now so that helps. I am sad about the fruit and the quarterly fitness challenge going away but they said it was a cost cutting measure. Better that then increasing health insurance or cutting other very important benefits.

Advice to Management

The Alliance is a great place to be. It is not perfect but I really enjoy being here and doing some important and rewarding work that helps others. My advice is to just keep doing the hard work so we can continue to deliver care to our members. “It’s all about the member.”

"So glad to move on"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good for the location.

Cons

Middle management lacks leadership qualities, lacks vision and is unable to engage staff.

Advice to Management

Quantity of supervisors does not equal quality of leadership.

"Case Manager"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

pay, benefits, work life balance

Cons

hard work, too little staff

Advice to Management

more staff less management

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I’m happy to read that you’ve listed benefits and work life balance as pros related to working here. Yes, our work is challenging. At... More

"Troubled Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good benefits and competitive pay for the area.

Cons

Poor leadership and decision making. A lot of waste (resources and money) on half-baked ideas which are often made in a silo.
    HR is the worst I've ever worked with including lack of responsiveness, many conflicting and poorly written policies, lack of professionalism, and poor quality of HR employees.

Advice to Management

No leadership accountability for decisions that led to recent layoffs. Lack of true planning (operational and financial). Departments are not incentivized to work together. Rather, especially in this current environment departments are fighting over need to remain relevant and establish job security.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance.

We take pride in being able to offer staff a comprehensive benefits package and competitive pay. Considering the impact the... More

"UM RN"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flextime and benefits, technology, telecommunications, great facility

Cons

Poor leadership, no middle management accountability, untrustworthy senior management

Advice to Management

Cut middle management, accountability for supervisors, inefficient HR, Hire CM/UM Managers with RN degrees.

Jan 4, 2019 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed our work/life balance options, our office space, and other resources. It sounds as if, unfortunately... More

"Layoffs"

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Telecommuting, benefits are reasonable, commute is great.

Cons

Layoffs occurred a few weeks ago and more layoffs are on the horizon. The whole situation has created an even more toxic environment, nobody feels safe here.

Advice to Management

Why waste a ton of money on solar paneling, remodeling the HR offices and so forth? We should all be frugal during these tough times, HR is not excluded.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments on Glassdoor.

With our recent restructure, it was determined that we were overstaffed in some areas. Accordingly, a reduction in force was... More

"Things have changed"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition assistance, on-site gym, free flu shots, telecommuting, good benefits.

Cons

Poor management. It used to be a great place to work but things have changed recently. Micromanagement is the new norm. Recent layoffs were handled poorly and it looks like there is more to come. Very poor communication leading to paranoia.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their ideas.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance.

I’m happy to read that you’re finding value in our generous staff benefits. Continued education, employee wellness and work-life balance, among... More

"The best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The health benefits at the Alliance include free flu shots, a monetary incentive for getting Sonic Boom steps, a full gym, lunch time fitness and yoga classes, lunch time lectures about healthy living and more. The work/life balance benefits include, hoteling, telecommuting and a 9/80 work schedule. The culture is collaborative in that all opinions are welcome. I know some employees who have complained about incompetent or micro managing supervisors/managers/directors, but I have been here eight years and have had eight different supervisors and every single one of them were good leaders who helped me do my job better.

Cons

This is less of a con and more of a testament to our membership growth, but the company staff size has grown exponentially in the past few years and I feel that the feeling of being a tight community is slipping away and a more corporate identity is emerging. Maybe that is the price of expansion.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints about management. Keep doing what you're doing!