Central California Alliance for Health Reviews

3.5
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine
Pros
Cons
  • "Poor leadership and decision making(in 6 reviews)

• "ALL issues brought to the team's manager were excused and/or ignored due to the senior team member's longevity with CCAH(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place; rewarding work"

5.0

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company deeply cares about their mission, their workforce and doing the right thing for our customers/membership. Work life balance options are generous, and pay competitive. Zlots of learning opportunities, and commitment from Senior leadership to be conscientious stewards of the funds to cate for our members. You go home at night knowing the work you do makes a positive impact for our members.

Cons

Not really a con I guess, maybe even a pro....never dull, incredible array or work. Health care is complex, but the Alliance always encourages innovative ideas, and process improvement.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-06-16

"Healthy Workplace & Culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company cares about employee health and work-life balance as well as offers great benefits for full-time employees and competitive pay for south of Silicon Valley.

Cons

Commute to work can be tough.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-05-31

October 14, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I’m so happy to read your comments that the Alliance cares about employee health and work-life balance. Our staff wellness offerings are plentiful, with onsite gyms and shower facilities in all three office locations, monthly reimbursements for gym membership fees, bike lockers, and even some employee-led fitness classes (bootcamp and yoga). Our WLB program includes telecommuting, flexible scheduling, new parent part-time return-to-work options, and part-time opportunities for staff (dependent upon business need). Indeed, commutes can be tough, particularly in Santa Cruz county. Our WLB program was created with that in mind, providing staff an opportunity to have flexible schedules (to avoid heavy traffic times) and work from home (to avoid traffic completely).

"It’s not what you know, but who you know"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay well if you you’re related or are friends with any of the managers or chiefs.

Cons

They don’t value hardworking people, who work with efficiency, integrity and morals. They only promote the grandfathered in people and overlook all the people who actually work hard. There’s a lot of racism and agism that takes place there. Managers come and go and the employees ( that actually work) are left to do all the work

Central California Alliance for Health2020-01-19

"Awful"

Former Employee - Prior Authorization Coordinator

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Made some friends while working there

Cons

Treats employees as though they don't matter

Central California Alliance for Health2019-12-07

"Mission driven"

4.0

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

New enhanced focus on members and process improvement. Nice location.

Cons

Too much command and control hierarchy.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-09-01

October 14, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. You’re correct in that we are placing greater emphasis on our members. After all, they’re the reason that the Alliance is here. We provide accessible, high quality health care to 340,000 members throughout our service area, covering one out of every three residents. Indeed we are focusing on improving processes across the organization to ensure efficiency and quality. I understand your comments around command and control. Note, however, that we are also focusing on alignment in our efforts, along with a greater emphasis on reporting outcomes and achieving results. This may feel more controlling than in the past, however it’s in an effort to ensure we’re meeting objectives and tactics, as specified in our strategic plan desired outcomes and completion of our projects. Thanks again for leaving feedback for the Alliance.

"This place has gone downhill since the founder retired."

Current Employee - Member in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

I am feeling so negative at this moment that I can't even list one even though I know there are some.

Cons

Firing people who have been here forever. Just pull the rugs right from under them. Don't even let you collect your personal belongings when you are asked to leave. They will pack them up and send them to you. How do they know what's what? I took all my personal stuff home so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Nobody even sees it coming. I felt so secure and like I was in a job I would stay in until retirement. Now I am anxious all the time and feel no job security whatsoever. Other hostile workers get away with harassing you and it does not get addressed even though you beg for it.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-09-24

October 14, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. It’s disheartening to read your review of the Alliance, especially in consideration of the mission of the organization. Our talented team of nearly 500 employees makes a positive impact on the lives of our 340,000 members every day by providing accessible and quality health care. However, I want you to know that I hear you loud and clear as you state your feelings. Changes in leadership can be hard, yet remember that our new CEO rose through the ranks at the Alliance, starting as a temporary employee in Health Services. She has served as a staff member, our Provider Services Director, Compliance Director, Chief Operating Officer, and now Chief Executive Officer. She knows the workings of the company and is committed to our members and our staff, and we’re all working toward the common goal of alignment in our efforts as we deliver quality services to our members. I encourage you to take a moment to come and talk with me about how you’re feeling and why you’re feeling this way. Regarding staff separations, while an employer should never go into confidential and private details regarding how or why an employee is separated from the company, I can assure you, unequivocally, that an employee not meeting performance expectations is provided with feedback and given opportunities to improve. No separation of a staff member is taken lightly, and every effort is taken to manage these issues honestly, directly, and respectfully. In those situations where an employee is separated from the company, we feel it’s most respectful for all involved to pack the employee’s personal belongings after hours and then make arrangements for their delivery. It’s undoubtedly awkward for the departing employee and for staff in surrounding work spaces in those types of situations. Again, we attempt to address these matters respectfully for all involved (and gathering belongings after hours is actually a common practice among employers). I’m concerned about your comments related to harassment. If you have reported a concern and you feel it isn’t being addressed, I encourage you to use our confidential disclosure hotline. Information on using this service is provided on the Compliance Department intranet page. Again, I also encourage you to come and chat with me about your thoughts and feelings regarding the Alliance. Staff perceptions and comments are important, and I’m interested in exploring this with you further.

"Overall good company"

Former Employee - Provider Service Representative

Pros

Great service to the community is done, all departments work to help people on Medi-Cal. For the most part, everyone really tries to work their hardest and is willing to take on more work when necessary.

Cons

Because everyone is willing to take more work, it seems that more work is always added on continually without regard to their current duties. It seems like the upper management implements changes (I'm sure with the best intentions), but those changes make the workload much heavier and stressful to the people actually executing those changes. There has been a lot of turnover which I believe is partly caused by the increased workload and the lack of recognition and support.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-07-18

October 14, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. In regard to workload, please note that as our external regulatory environment changes, we do see our internal operations needing to be adjusted to meet these new demands. With that in mind, the leadership team is looking at ways to ensure the right work is being done for the right reasons. Some of our work is new, and some work needs to be completed differently now based on new regulations and/or requirements. Either way we’re working to ensure staff aren’t overloaded as we serve our members and meet our requirements. We have also implemented tools and processes for staff to submit ideas and suggestions on how to best do our work. Thanks again for leaving feedback for the Alliance.

"Toxic, Retalitory Environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous PTO, on-site gym, generous 401k option after 1 year of full-time employment

Cons

I could write a book. Notice the CAO’s defensive responses to negative Glassdoor reviews, or non-responses to well detailed, negative reviews. That should tell potential job seekers a lot about the company. It’s understandable that the CAO needs to paint a good picture of the company in a public forum that he can’t control, but it speaks volumes on the culture that used to be great under the former leadership. Bottom line: this company is going downhill steadily since the founding CEO’s retirement announcement, and retirement. Many of the quality leaders have already left, leaving a foundation of leadership that does not lead by example, that has ZERO desire for any feedback on their actions, and has many scrambling to make themselves relevant to maintain their grip on what power they have. The multiple reviews mentioning the poor HR department are all spot on. The HR team is one of, if not the worst I have ever experienced. The turnover in that department over the last two years is a clear example of issues there. They are not advocates of the employees, and possess a company-first mentaity. My manager was hands down the worst I have ever worked for in over 20 years in the workforce. She is stubborn, doesn’t trust her team, created a culture of fear in the departemnt, and liked it. She is aggressive and abusive. Many intricate details of the jobs in her department were not written down and carried around only in peoples heads, making that knowledge hard to transfer. She had multiple people on the team reporting to her anything said, resulting in an elementary school level, tattle-tale paranoia. People on the team actively sold out their colleagues to eliminate rising talent in multiple circumstances in the last 5 years, resulting in multiple people leaving the company. Unfortunately, this lack of quality leadership is not exclusive to one or two departments. Officers trash talking Directors on the work floor in front of employees not only adds to the toxicity, but goes to show that the layoff of 22 employees didn’t get the right people out of the organization. Many of the people doing the bulk of the work in the company are working in fear, and are burnt out. The culture I fell in love with years ago is almost completely gone, replaced by a micro-managed, corporate environment. It’s ironic that they have hourly employees clocking in and out, when the salaried employees and “leaders” are the ones constantly coming in late/leaving early, “working from home,” and taking advantage of the system. The company has eliminated small programs (fresh fruit delivered multiple times a week, and a fitness-tracking program which encouraged employees to walk around the campus and exercise) that helped grow and maintain the culture for short-term profitability since running in the red. Lack of communication from leadership and between departments when implementing projects, leads to the front-line employees dealing with issues that could be mitigated if they were consulted at any point in initial planning, and or if proper testing was done initially

Central California Alliance for Health2019-04-26

May 16, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Alliance. While I fully respect your interpretation of your time here, your feedback is at odds with the experience most Alliance staff report. Given that you expressed multiple concerns, I am providing thorough and fact-based responses to several points raised in your post in the hopes of bringing clarity to items that are of significant importance to the Alliance. As mentioned, our founding CEO retired in February of 2018 after over two decades of dedicated leadership. Our new CEO is an experienced health care professional with over thirteen years of Alliance experience. She was a staff member, department director, and our COO. She understands our organization and its culture, but change within an organization is inevitable with a new CEO. As you know, the health care and regulatory environments have become increasingly complex. For example, state audits used to occur every four to five years, but now they occur on an annual basis. In addition, with the implementation of the ACA, our membership has grown by more than 100,000 lives. In fact, we now provide health insurance to one in three residents throughout our service area, and we are responsible for serving as good stewards of a $1.2 billion publicly financed annual budget. All of these issues, among others, require that we be mindful of our responsibilities and approach them in an aligned, organized and outcome-driven manner. Regarding HR, collectively this team brings decades of varied HR experience to the Alliance, and several team members are professionally certified in the field. I regularly receive compliments on the services and support they provide. As I am the overseeing Chief for this department, I encourage you to share any specific feedback you may have with me directly. We continuously look for ways to improve. Indeed, our medical costs are higher than projected. This is due to higher than anticipated utilization by our members. It should be noted that these trends impacting our organization are also present in other health care organizations across California, and nationally as well. Fortunately, due to smart financial planning and saving, we are well reserved and can absorb those costs. Note that the Alliance is currently below budget on admin expenses. The Alliance creates innovative health care solutions. One example includes developing a post-discharge meal delivery service, which provides enhanced support to our members with complex medical needs. We are also an award-winning health plan, recognized most recently as one of the top five performing Medi-Cal health plans for overall quality in the state. Since 2015, our grant program has awarded $80.6 million to community organizations. We play a role in ensuring quality health care for the nearly 340,000 people who rely on our services every day. Perhaps readers will interpret these data points as reflections of an organization having great community impact as compared to one that is steadily going downhill. The comments about clocking in and out and working from home are perplexing. Recording hours worked isn’t uncommon and we have a very robust work/life balance program. We offer flexible scheduling and telecommuting, so yes, it is common to see staff at all levels coming in late, leaving early (based on their schedule) and working from home. We did make changes to our employee health and wellness program last year. At the same time, we also expanded onsite fitness opportunities by adding full-scale fitness centers in our Salinas and Merced office locations. We now have fitness centers with free weights and cardio equipment in all three Alliance office locations. Your comment about someone being pushed aside for making suggestions is simply not true. Through a link on our Intranet homepage we actively encourage staff to make recommendations on how we can do our work better, and Chief team members regularly hold brown-bag lunches with staff. We actively support the development of leadership throughout our organization. We hold a quarterly leadership forum where management convenes to discuss relevant leadership and operational issues and we have a leadership training program. The Alliance has zero tolerance for retaliation. Any employee who believes they’re experiencing this should report it immediately to their departmental leadership, HR, or via our confidential disclosure hotline tool. We have always focused on providing a workplace that is respectful, diverse, professional and fun, and will continue to do so. Events and activities, such as our annual Halloween festivities and Cinco de Mayo celebration, peer-to-peer recognition program, and the annual food drive and United Way employee giving campaigns are just a few of the aspects of our environment that contribute to a unique and rewarding overall experience.

"Updated for clarification: Toxic"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

The benefits were good, but pricey. The tuition assistance program was my favorite.

Cons

I left the Alliance on my last day crying, feeling utterly betrayed - with my manager running after me in the parking lot as I packed all my stuff into my car. I had given 2+ weeks notice, and once I did I was shut out from all of my leadership. My director was stunned that I said good morning to her a week after submitting my resignation, she could barely mouth the words back while avoiding eye contact and walking past me. Another HR manager literally said nothing to me my whole two week period. I even asked for an exit interview and wasn’t given one because they “forgot.” That’s my number one reason for leaving a review here. Working in HR, this was especially difficult to understand. I had to ask who was going to take over my projects many times, and was never actually able to hand those over because my management couldn’t give me the time of day. I now know that they were busy planning layoffs so maybe that’s why. Still, it’s no excuse to mistreat an employee, or ignore a request for an exit interview. I was blindsided and let go one day early (seriously, what was the point). When my manager told me I was being let go one day early (told, not offered the chance), I felt seriously betrayed. I asked if I was going to still get an exit interview (no). I asked who was going to take over projects ab&c (uhhh let’s schedule a meeting for 3pm). But hey, at least I was reassured I wasn’t being fired (I know, I resigned)! I tried to leave on good terms, but after that last meeting I asked if I could just leave right then instead of the end of the day. I grabbed my things, tears streaming down my face and tried to leave without causing a scene. My manager chased after me even though I asked her to not to follow me, she kept asking what she did wrong. She quickly walked after me all the way to my car. It made me sad that she turned into such a cold person that she couldn’t even see what was wrong with the way my departure was handled, but that’s what being in HR leadership is all about at the Alliance. The saddest part is that if you don’t conform then you’re shut out. It is rude for the CAO to bring my personal life into this matter, which he did in a response to my previous submission. I don’t bring my personal life into work with me, I don’t share inappropriate photos from my vacations, and I don’t interrupt meetings to watch my dog on my home camera. It’s obvious that his HR team didn’t want to be honest with him about what really happened that day, and the weeks prior. That truly speaks to the departments culture. I sincerely hope they can manage to change it. Leadership needs to understand that it takes more than saying you’re a diverse and inclusive workforce to actually be one. A work environment where employees enjoy going to work, can connect with their colleagues and management, and feel safe to collaborate is not only going to attract talent, but keep it. Sadly, this is not the case at the Alliance.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-05-05

May 14, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

At the Alliance we believe that feedback is important. We regularly invite staff through multiple channels to leave comments about their experiences at this organization here on Glassdoor so that we can learn, reflect and adjust as needed. Unfortunately, on occasion, the Alliance is placed in the position of needing to respond to a review that includes misleading and/or inaccurate details. It needs to be clarified that the Alliance Human Resources leadership team has a significantly different recollection of this former employee’s overall experience at our organization, including their final weeks and final day of employment. The original and unedited Alliance reply to this former employee’s initial review from February 21, 2019 (which Glassdoor automatically removed when this reviewer updated their first comments) is provided below for the benefit of those reading this review. ---------------------------------- Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. As a former HR staff member, you’re certainly aware that we take great pride in the benefits we provide to Alliance staff, and we dedicate a considerable amount of time and resources to ensure that our offerings are above industry standards. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed these options, but at the same time I’m perplexed as to your claim that the Alliance “cut a lot of programs.” This is simply not true. With the exception of changes to our employee health and wellness program (sun setting of the sonic striding program and fresh fruit in our break rooms), no employee benefit programs have been eliminated or modified, including our tuition assistance program. Further to this, we actually focused on expanding onsite fitness opportunities by adding full-scale fitness centers in our Salinas and Merced office locations. We now have fitness centers with free weights and cardio equipment in all three Alliance office locations. Additional staff benefit options include a generous PTO allotment that starts at 28 days per year and a robust employer contribution (not match, contribution) of 10% to employee 401A retirement plans. It’s very regrettable that you left the Alliance feeling less than satisfied. This is never something we like to read. It’s also unfortunate to read your understanding of your final day here. Current and former staff traditionally submit reviews on Glassdoor anonymously in order to ensure confidentiality. However, in this case, you’ve shared details in such a way that we can respond directly to some of your concerns. From the perspective of the Alliance, your resignation was accepted and a plan to transition your work and tasks was put into place. This transition was completed in advance of your final day, and therefore your manager let you know that you could leave a day early, with pay through the date of your notice. This offer was made as a courtesy to you in consideration of your personal situation (and for no other reason), which you accepted. As to your other comments, it’s important also to clarify that individualism, open dialogue and constructively challenging the status quo are very much embedded in the Alliance. We respect and celebrate how differences and diversity make us stronger as an organization. In fact, our value of culture is defined as striving for “a respectful, diverse and fun workplace.” Along with our core values of customer service, excellence, innovation, integrity, partnership and stewardship, this respect and openness drives who we are as an organization and how we interact with one another. Your comments contrast with the reality of who we are as an organization, as well as the broadly recognized and service-minded approach of the Human Resources team. Thanks again for leaving your comments. In closing, a personal thank you for your great work here at the Alliance, and I sincerely wish you the best.

"Love the culture and the work I do. Looking forward to more advancement and opportunities in the Merced office."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merced, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the Alliance for over two years. Work/Life Balance- there are several options available; 9/80 flex schedule, telecommuting, hoteling, & New Parent Returning to Work Part-Time. I am currently working the 9/80 flex schedule and telecommuting. PTO- generous amount of PTO. The hours add up so quickly. I believe it’s 8.62 hours of PTO for the first 1-5 yrs of employment and PTO hours increases on the 6th yr of employment. Retirement- the Alliance automatically contributes 10% of the employees’ salary to their retirement account. On-Site Gym- perfect to get your workouts in. My experience at the Alliance and the relationships I’ve built between my colleagues have been great. There is an equal amount of respect for each other and their departments. The pay salary is more competitive than any other organization in my county. Most importantly, I have come to realize how rewarding my job is and I have enjoyed every aspect of it.

Cons

As employees of a health plan, I wished we had better heath insurance options and coverage that doesn’t break the bank. Growth/Advancement Opportunities- majority of the open positions are only available in the Salinas & Scott’s Valley offices. I hope Leadership/Management will eventually come around to the idea that the job could be done in the Merced office as well. With all the advanced technology such as; video conferences and go-to meetings, majority of these jobs could be filled in the Merced office.

Central California Alliance for Health2019-03-02

April 1, 2019Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post about your experiences at the Alliance and for your continued service to our members. As you know, we are a mission-driven organization, responsible for the health care of more than 340,000 people in Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. The Alliance is staffed with professionals, such as yourself, who help create an environment that brings to life our values of culture, customer service, excellence, innovation, integrity, partnership and stewardship. I am glad to read that you are enjoying our popular employee benefits and programs, such as our generous Paid Time Off (which starts at 28 days per year), competitive salaries and our work/life balance initiative, which provides flexibility in work schedules, telecommuting options and a new parent part-time return-to-work program. We also take great pride in our facilities -- including fitness centers at our offices in Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz -- and it’s great to hear you are enjoying these. Above all else, as you noted, the respect staff shows to one another on a day-to-day basis is invaluable. Regarding our health benefits, the Alliance is dedicated to ensuring our employees have quality health care options at a reasonable price. We offer HMO, PPO and HSA options for employees and their families – at a much lower cost to employees than many other organizations. If you have any questions about this benefit or would like additional guidance on these options, please reach out to Human Resources, and they will support you in this. Lastly, I want you to know that I hear you in your feelings that job opportunities are not made available in Merced County. Because of business need, the Alliance isn’t able to offer every employment/promotional opportunity in all three of our offices equally. Certain positions will just always need to be based at HQ. We actually have, however, been very intentional about basing positions in all three offices whenever possible. In recent three years, the following leadership positions have been added to your office in our Merced region: - Claims Supervisor – Claims Technicians - UM Manager – Prior Authorizations (RN) - UM Manager – Operations (RN) - UM Supervisor – Prior Authorizations (RN) - Care Management Supervisor (RN) - Facilities Manager - Analytics Supervisor – Business Analytics In addition, the following staff level roles have been added specifically to Merced: - Health Navigator - Quality Improvement Coordinator - Senior HR Representative - Health Informatics Analyst II The following positions, several of which were management level promotional opportunities, were posted for recruitment in all three office locations (Merced, Salinas and Scotts Valley): - Member Services Call Center Manager - Provider Quality and Network Development Manager - Grievance and Quality Manager - Quality and Performance Improvement Manager - Medical Director - Provider Communications and Education Specialist - Quality Improvement Program Advisor In closing, please note my personal invitation to you (and to every Alliance employee): If there is a position that is posted for recruitment that isn’t available to be filled in all three office locations, please contact me directly and I will gather further details as to why the position must be based in HQ. If there are opportunities for the role to be filled in any location, I will explore those in detail and we will make adjustments to the recruitment if and where possible. Thanks again for your continued service to the Alliance. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Found 75 reviews