Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is held as top priority for the company as they know in return they get happy and dedicated employees (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Rapid expansion under ACA has created some growing pains (in 3 reviews)

• On some more entry level positions salary is entirely canceled out by childcare and healthcare expenses (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy coming to work here. I enjoy my co-workers and am proud of how awesome our department is. I love the work/life balance, the health incentives, the gym, the Costco membership and all the other things I get to take advantage of. The benefits are awesome and I am comfortable with my salary. I bounced around a bit the past few years and was never really happy or felt fulfilled. I found a company/job that I enjoy coming too and that works hard to keep their employees happy and fulfilled. I really appreciate that! When I am out in the community and meet our members I am truly proud to say I work at the Alliance.

Cons

Some upper management have been here a long time and haven't quite kept up or changed with the times...they seem a little stuck and it shows at times. That is literally my only con....

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Your interest in making this an enviroment that people can enjoy, thrive and succeed is clear and very much appreciated!

Mar 1, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I’ve very much appreciated reading your comments, and I’m happy to see that you’re enjoying Alliance offerings, such as our work/life... More

2. "Friendly, Inviting, and Organized"

Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

Benefits are above and beyond any other company I have ever worked. The Alliance really invests in their best product - their employees! I feel welcome, appreciated, and supported through the many opportunities for personal and professional growth the Alliance offers.

Cons

Have not found any issues yet!

Oct 27, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance! So happy to read that you feel welcomed, appreciated and supported. Also, I am delighted to see you're finding our benefits package... More

"Wonderful company overall"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great company that tries to keep good employees. Everyone is very nice and cares about the members and the company. There are good benefits (gym, near a nice trail, great cafe on site in SV, retreats, Halloween events, etc.) Parking is ample and they are adding solar panels and care about their environmental impact.

They offer a flex schedule where you can get one day off every other week.

Cons

My department had a high turnover rate, however. Maybe this is because there is not yet any option to work from home (even last winter when many roads were closed due to mudslides. We had to take sick days), no option to return to work part-time after maternity/paternity, poor salary increases as you work your way up, no laptops for most employees (which means you have to print anything you need to reference and take hand-written notes in meetings), etc.

Shadowing for new employees is no longer done. Overall training for the company is good, but for individual roles/duties it is very poor. Your success in your role depends a lot on your direct supervisor or your previous experience in your duties.

There is paper recycling at every desk, but no general recycling. No composting. Hopefully that will be coming in the future.

When applying, I was told there would be very little, if any, work at night or on weekends and that has not been the case. Deadlines are very tight and they often require weekend work and sometimes staying past 5.

Advice to Management

Consider providing laptops for onsite work for employees other than those in technology/analytics. Continue to work on better work-life for employees and recycling efforts.

Consider additional methods of evaluation to supplement that of the supervisor and self evaluations. (Such as a 360 evaluation where people the employee worked closely with are asked about his/her performance).

Feb 19, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I was happy to read you are enjoying our friendly environment and employee benefits.

In response to some of your other comments, I... More

"I left pretty unhappy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, nice benefits, I liked how they have charging stations for your electric vehicle. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

I worked for many years and never could advance. I watched countless temps get hired on after a few months and take up positions that I should have had seniority for. I was always met with excuses from management over not being able to train me for higher positions. I wanted to advance but they seemed to like me where I was. I was stuck in a black hole there.

The annual raise was a joke. One raise was honestly $0.02 extra per hour. Yes a 2 cent raise. Tell me that's not a punch in the stomach. I thought it was a typo at first. After almost a decade of working at CCAH I was still in the same entry level position that I started with and maybe only went up $4 an hour from my hire date to the day I walked out.

The working environment was like working in a library, dead quiet, you could hear a pin drop. We also got to sit segregated in 5' tall grey cubicle walls. It was a real blast. You are expected to work a virtual conveyor belt of medical claims. It was repetitive and very boring. Every month we had a meeting with our manager who would print out your stats and concentrate on quantity and accuracy. If you went down in productivity, you were told to improve yourself.

If you like micromanaging then this is the place for you. We had what was called a "Break Tracker" and you had to choose from a list of about 20 different options as to why you were not pumping out claims. On the phone with a provider, better mark it down. Need to research a claim, better select that one. I once had a manager ask me, "what were you doing for 15 minutes last Tuesday morning?" Apparently I had forgotten to log my time away from my desk and my manager who had too much time on her hands felt she needed to get to the bottom of it. I was in my late 20's then and felt like I was being treated like a child.

The last year I worked there I was basically just working for a paycheck. The morale had gone way down. During our annual BBQ relay races at the local park, I just didn't care to participate....I just didn't want to be there. I finally quit and haven't looked back.

Advice to Management

Ease up on choosing temps over the people who have been there for years and put in their time. If someone asks for extra training, it's their way of saying, "I would like to improve on my knowledge because I would like to advance one day"

Jan 24, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello and thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I was disappointed to read that your time here wasn’t what you’d hoped it would be. We strive to have the best possible... More

5. "Manager"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Fantastic top leadership, excellent training and educational opportunities, people are knowledgeable and passionate, the work directly impacts people's lives.

Cons

I would have liked a bit more pay as a middle manager. That said, their salary scale is transparent and overall very fair.

Oct 27, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello and thanks for taking the time to leave the Alliance feedback here on Glassdoor.com. I'm very happy to read that you're happy here. As you're likely aware, we are currently conducting a... More

6. "Great place to work at.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health (More than a year)

Pros

I look forward to coming to work here (hoping that would continue). Enough opportunities to learn and acquire skills. Supportive team members and great work life balance.

Cons

Too early to think of any as of now.

Sep 18, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. We're happy you're happy!

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, mission driven employees, long standing staff.

Cons

Near highway17 traffic is terrible, very limited part time positions. In some positions limited ability forgrowth

Sep 18, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. 2017 has been a very bad year for traffic on Highway 17 due to road closures earlier this year, and we do see traffic... More

8. "Claims Technician II"

Current Employee - Claims Tehnician II in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Tehnician II in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

Local (20 min commute), appreciate their vision, mission and values, they have great benefits for employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons to mention.

Jul 10, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. And, thanks for your appreciation of the vision, mission and values of the Alliance.

"Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Coding Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Coding Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the culture here at the Alliance. Everyone is friendly and says hi as you walk down the halls or outside during breaks. There is a real sense of family here. While we take our work seriously, there is also time for fun. Some people may dread the thought of a company-wide meeting, but the Alliance makes every quarterly all-staff meeting fun. There is a real drive to promote healthy living and eating and a great work/life balance. There is a nice benefit package provided as well. Overall its a fantastic place to work.

Cons

I cannot think of too many cons as I really enjoy working here. It would be nice to see an on-site daycare in the future though!

Jul 10, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for leaving feedback for the Alliance! We take great pride in our work environment, be it our friendly and respectful approach to our work and relationships, our focus on employee health and... More

"Long Time Employee"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and positive environment. Benefits are competitive. Flexibility with schedules.

Cons

Would like to experience more support from leaders when issues arise. The leaders are very political and tend to follow a set path that does not always show support for the employees doing the work, and are the backbone for the company.

Advice to Management

Would like to experience more support from leaders when issues arise.

May 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Alliance. I’m happy to read that you’re enjoying your co-workers and our positive environment. And yes, we do attempt to provide a very... More