Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Consistent drive to increase work/life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "I once had a manager ask me, "what were you doing for 15 minutes last Tuesday morning" (in 2 reviews)

• "On some more entry level positions salary is entirely canceled out by childcare and healthcare expenses" (in 2 reviews)

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here are committed to the mission of the organization, which I think is a positive factor in who the organization attracts and retains. My immediate team is supportive and collaborative, which makes coming in to work a pleasure, as opposed to a chore.

Work environment in Scotts Valley is pretty - set amongst trees, with a trail head onsite, along with fully equipped onsite gym. As others have mentioned, the PTO accrual is generous, and the 10% contribution to retirement (contribution, not match) is outstanding.

Cons

Careful and thoughtful decision making means that change is a little slow, which can be frustrating.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

I’m glad to read that you are enjoying your role at the Alliance. You’re absolutely right; employees at the Alliance are committed to our mission and are very positive about their work to improve our... More

"Great Company, Great People, Great Mission"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for (and I've worked at quite a few). Leadership at all levels is approachable. The vision and mission of the company are important to me personally. This is a non-profit that provides healthcare to the underserved and I like being part of that. (I don't really want to work for a company to make the owners or shareholders rich.) The benefits here are the best I have ever had at any company. The PTO/time off is very good. They have implemented a lot of work-life balance programs that I'm very excited about. The onsite fitness facility is very nice. I cancelled my regular gym membership. I have never worked for an employer that contributes 10% of my salary to my retirement like the Alliance does. They have a town hall meeting every quarter to give updates to the company. There is an onsite cafeteria in Scotts Valley. The office is kept clean and in good working order. The online training programs are good. The company is focused on sustainability and this is important to me. Solar panels are being installed on all of the offices. I like how there is a good sense of team and community here at the company. There's a lot of good and important work going on and for the most part everyone seems to be working toward the same goals. I really like coming to work and hope to be here for a very long time. A new CEO started this year, and she came up through the company. Shows to me you can work hard and be recognized and rewarded for it.

Cons

There could be better communication between departments. I am hoping the new communications department will pay attention to this. Some IT systems are a bit clunky. Traffic into and out of the Scotts Valley location can be dreadful but all of Santa Cruz county has gotten a lot worse in recent years.

Advice to Management

Work more on communication internally. I am looking forward to the new tele-commuting program.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance. It’s certainly a point of pride to read that this is the best organization you’ve worked for. We work diligently to ensure the Alliance is an... More

"A fantastic career choice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are probably too many pros to fit in this space, so where do I begin? The Alliance has a tremendously important mission: to help keep the communities it serves healthy. They do this by maintaining and continuously improving a health care coverage network that serves 1/3 of the population in its communities.

The gravity of this responsibility can't be understated, and the opportunity to help fulfill this mission attracts many talented folks to the Alliance. Colleagues constantly seek to innovate and enhance the Alliance's ability to achieve this mission, and the resulting culture is representative of a respectful, collaborative organization with a unified purpose.

Benefits are ultra across the board. Beyond the affordable healthcare, generous PTO and meaty retirement contributions, I enjoy the little things the Alliance does to keep employees happy and engaged -- team events, awards and swag, Costco and gym memberships... those sort of things, which never fail to surprise and delight.

I wake up every day excited to work with my colleagues and to help make a difference. The days and weeks fly by, leaving me fulfilled and wanting for more. Joining the Alliance was a great decision, and I encourage others to seriously check it out. (Oh, and I can't wait to experience the legendary Halloween madness here.)

Cons

The heat in Scotts Valley can be a bit heavy in the summer but, hey, it's California and the Alliance has air conditioning. Other than that, no cons immediately come to mind.

Advice to Management

As the Alliance continues to grow and evolve, it will be important to find new and creative ways to continue to nurture the organization's amazing culture. Organizational culture is a bit like a rare flower garden in that it must be carefully attended to in order to ensure its continued yield. I hope the Alliance will continue to cultivate its supportive culture for many years to come.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for your feedback on working at the Alliance. We’re glad you are finding fulfilment in your work here! Yes, we are a mission-driven organization comprised of industry leaders in their... More

"Good Company " its not what you know- its who you know""

Current Employee - Member Services in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Member Services in Merced, CA

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, telecommuting if your position qualifies

Cons

Downside is the opportunity for growth. Provider Services Reps in Monterey County seem very ill informed and have had many complaints from departments and providers. When there are higher openings available they do not offer qualified candidates but instead take on candidates that are under experienced with a degree or someone with a degree but completely unfamiliar to the field.

Advice to Management

relocation opportunity should be given no matter what the review status depicts... you are opening up the program to all employees which gives them a chance to work closer to home... but yet have denied several people based on reviews, their review should not be a factor to why they are not able to work closer to home...sounds very unfair.

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I’m happy to read that you appreciate our benefits and Work/Life Balance opportunities. In regard to your comment about advancement... More

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company Mission and values serving community

Cons

Department Manager treatment sense of bullying and age discrimination trying to make me fail

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor and, more importantly, for more than eight years of service to the Alliance and our members. Your commitment to our vision and mission is... More

"Good Company but not flawed"

Pros

The benefits and perks are great. People can take and use all their PTO. Get every other friday off is nice.

Cons

There are a bunch of homegrown managers and leaders that are not college educated. Some of these managers and supervisors push out talented associates.

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I’m happy to read that you’re enjoying the benefits program the Alliance has developed for employees. Our PTO benefit... More

"20 year+ company at times in Start-Up mode"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

A general positive attitude overall from officers on down. Consistent drive to increase work/life balance. Silicon Valley-like campus when it comes to the Scotts Valley location: On-Site Café, (no free food, but free fruit twice a week) gym, yoga, crossfit, basketball court, free fitbit-type program to promote health where employees get up to $150 a quarter if they walk/exercise enough, 10% into a retirement account after 1 year of official employment. Multiple flexible schedule options. Work/life balance programs in pilot look good if implemented properly

Cons

Lack of leaders from the top down. A LOT of bad bosses. Tenured employees taking advantage of the system and do much less work, and make much more than the people who are actually doing the work. Project management and deployment of projects since the former CEO's announcement of retirement and now leaving has caused much confusion and stress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to exit interviews. Offer anonymous quarterly reviews from employees to send feedback on their supervisors/managers/directors, then take quick action! (Stop making excuses and using metrics that strengthen your bottom line, observe that employees want a greater voice) Take a strong look at what all tenured employees and those in leadership actually do. Many teams/departments run themselves without help from the very lacking “leadership.” Hire more people who lead by example! Fire “leadership” that consistently comes in late, leaves early, and take advantage of all flexible schedules that their own teams can’t take advantage of. Embrace new thinking and stop rewarding those who have just been with the company for a long time. I hope the new CEO steps in and gets aggressive with some positive changes!

"It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." – Steve Jobs

Mar 27, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I was happy to read that you are appreciating our great environment, our efforts around employee health and fitness, and staff... More

"Wonderful company overall"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great company that tries to keep good employees. Everyone is very nice and cares about the members and the company. There are good benefits (gym, near a nice trail, great cafe on site in SV, retreats, Halloween events, etc.) Parking is ample and they are adding solar panels and care about their environmental impact.

They offer a flex schedule where you can get one day off every other week.

Cons

My department had a high turnover rate, however. Maybe this is because there is not yet any option to work from home (even last winter when many roads were closed due to mudslides. We had to take sick days), no option to return to work part-time after maternity/paternity, poor salary increases as you work your way up, no laptops for most employees (which means you have to print anything you need to reference and take hand-written notes in meetings), etc.

Shadowing for new employees is no longer done. Overall training for the company is good, but for individual roles/duties it is very poor. Your success in your role depends a lot on your direct supervisor or your previous experience in your duties.

There is paper recycling at every desk, but no general recycling. No composting. Hopefully that will be coming in the future.

When applying, I was told there would be very little, if any, work at night or on weekends and that has not been the case. Deadlines are very tight and they often require weekend work and sometimes staying past 5.

Advice to Management

Consider providing laptops for onsite work for employees other than those in technology/analytics. Continue to work on better work-life for employees and recycling efforts.

Consider additional methods of evaluation to supplement that of the supervisor and self evaluations. (Such as a 360 evaluation where people the employee worked closely with are asked about his/her performance).

Feb 19, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I was happy to read you are enjoying our friendly environment and employee benefits.

In response to some of your other comments, I... More

"I left pretty unhappy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, nice benefits, I liked how they have charging stations for your electric vehicle. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

I worked for many years and never could advance. I watched countless temps get hired on after a few months and take up positions that I should have had seniority for. I was always met with excuses from management over not being able to train me for higher positions. I wanted to advance but they seemed to like me where I was. I was stuck in a black hole there.

The annual raise was a joke. One raise was honestly $0.02 extra per hour. Yes a 2 cent raise. Tell me that's not a punch in the stomach. I thought it was a typo at first. After almost a decade of working at CCAH I was still in the same entry level position that I started with and maybe only went up $4 an hour from my hire date to the day I walked out.

The working environment was like working in a library, dead quiet, you could hear a pin drop. We also got to sit segregated in 5' tall grey cubicle walls. It was a real blast. You are expected to work a virtual conveyor belt of medical claims. It was repetitive and very boring. Every month we had a meeting with our manager who would print out your stats and concentrate on quantity and accuracy. If you went down in productivity, you were told to improve yourself.

If you like micromanaging then this is the place for you. We had what was called a "Break Tracker" and you had to choose from a list of about 20 different options as to why you were not pumping out claims. On the phone with a provider, better mark it down. Need to research a claim, better select that one. I once had a manager ask me, "what were you doing for 15 minutes last Tuesday morning?" Apparently I had forgotten to log my time away from my desk and my manager who had too much time on her hands felt she needed to get to the bottom of it. I was in my late 20's then and felt like I was being treated like a child.

The last year I worked there I was basically just working for a paycheck. The morale had gone way down. During our annual BBQ relay races at the local park, I just didn't care to participate....I just didn't want to be there. I finally quit and haven't looked back.

Advice to Management

Ease up on choosing temps over the people who have been there for years and put in their time. If someone asks for extra training, it's their way of saying, "I would like to improve on my knowledge because I would like to advance one day"

Jan 24, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello and thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I was disappointed to read that your time here wasn’t what you’d hoped it would be. We strive to have the best possible... More

"Friendly, Inviting, and Organized"

Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

Benefits are above and beyond any other company I have ever worked. The Alliance really invests in their best product - their employees! I feel welcome, appreciated, and supported through the many opportunities for personal and professional growth the Alliance offers.

Cons

Have not found any issues yet!

Oct 27, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance! So happy to read that you feel welcomed, appreciated and supported. Also, I am delighted to see you're finding our benefits package... More