Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Consistent drive to increase work/life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rapid expansion under ACA has created some growing pains" (in 3 reviews)

• "On some more entry level positions salary is entirely canceled out by childcare and healthcare expenses" (in 2 reviews)

"Friendly, Inviting, and Organized"

Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Concurrent Review RN in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are above and beyond any other company I have ever worked. The Alliance really invests in their best product - their employees! I feel welcome, appreciated, and supported through the many opportunities for personal and professional growth the Alliance offers.

Cons

Have not found any issues yet!

Oct 27, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance! So happy to read that you feel welcomed, appreciated and supported. Also, I am delighted to see you're finding our benefits package... More

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company Mission and values serving community

Cons

Department Manager treatment sense of bullying and age discrimination trying to make me fail

3. "Good Company but not flawed"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and perks are great. People can take and use all their PTO. Get every other friday off is nice.

Cons

There are a bunch of homegrown managers and leaders that are not college educated. Some of these managers and supervisors push out talented associates.

"20 year+ company at times in Start-Up mode"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

A general positive attitude overall from officers on down. Consistent drive to increase work/life balance. Silicon Valley-like campus when it comes to the Scotts Valley location: On-Site Café, (no free food, but free fruit twice a week) gym, yoga, crossfit, basketball court, free fitbit-type program to promote health where employees get up to $150 a quarter if they walk/exercise enough, 10% into a retirement account after 1 year of official employment. Multiple flexible schedule options. Work/life balance programs in pilot look good if implemented properly

Cons

Lack of leaders from the top down. A LOT of bad bosses. Tenured employees taking advantage of the system and do much less work, and make much more than the people who are actually doing the work. Project management and deployment of projects since the former CEO's announcement of retirement and now leaving has caused much confusion and stress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to exit interviews. Offer anonymous quarterly reviews from employees to send feedback on their supervisors/managers/directors, then take quick action! (Stop making excuses and using metrics that strengthen your bottom line, observe that employees want a greater voice) Take a strong look at what all tenured employees and those in leadership actually do. Many teams/departments run themselves without help from the very lacking “leadership.” Hire more people who lead by example! Fire “leadership” that consistently comes in late, leaves early, and take advantage of all flexible schedules that their own teams can’t take advantage of. Embrace new thinking and stop rewarding those who have just been with the company for a long time. I hope the new CEO steps in and gets aggressive with some positive changes!

"It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." – Steve Jobs

Mar 27, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I was happy to read that you are appreciating our great environment, our efforts around employee health and fitness, and staff... More

"Wonderful company overall"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great company that tries to keep good employees. Everyone is very nice and cares about the members and the company. There are good benefits (gym, near a nice trail, great cafe on site in SV, retreats, Halloween events, etc.) Parking is ample and they are adding solar panels and care about their environmental impact.

They offer a flex schedule where you can get one day off every other week.

Cons

My department had a high turnover rate, however. Maybe this is because there is not yet any option to work from home (even last winter when many roads were closed due to mudslides. We had to take sick days), no option to return to work part-time after maternity/paternity, poor salary increases as you work your way up, no laptops for most employees (which means you have to print anything you need to reference and take hand-written notes in meetings), etc.

Shadowing for new employees is no longer done. Overall training for the company is good, but for individual roles/duties it is very poor. Your success in your role depends a lot on your direct supervisor or your previous experience in your duties.

There is paper recycling at every desk, but no general recycling. No composting. Hopefully that will be coming in the future.

When applying, I was told there would be very little, if any, work at night or on weekends and that has not been the case. Deadlines are very tight and they often require weekend work and sometimes staying past 5.

Advice to Management

Consider providing laptops for onsite work for employees other than those in technology/analytics. Continue to work on better work-life for employees and recycling efforts.

Consider additional methods of evaluation to supplement that of the supervisor and self evaluations. (Such as a 360 evaluation where people the employee worked closely with are asked about his/her performance).

Feb 19, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I was happy to read you are enjoying our friendly environment and employee benefits.

In response to some of your other comments, I... More

"I left pretty unhappy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, nice benefits, I liked how they have charging stations for your electric vehicle. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

I worked for many years and never could advance. I watched countless temps get hired on after a few months and take up positions that I should have had seniority for. I was always met with excuses from management over not being able to train me for higher positions. I wanted to advance but they seemed to like me where I was. I was stuck in a black hole there.

The annual raise was a joke. One raise was honestly $0.02 extra per hour. Yes a 2 cent raise. Tell me that's not a punch in the stomach. I thought it was a typo at first. After almost a decade of working at CCAH I was still in the same entry level position that I started with and maybe only went up $4 an hour from my hire date to the day I walked out.

The working environment was like working in a library, dead quiet, you could hear a pin drop. We also got to sit segregated in 5' tall grey cubicle walls. It was a real blast. You are expected to work a virtual conveyor belt of medical claims. It was repetitive and very boring. Every month we had a meeting with our manager who would print out your stats and concentrate on quantity and accuracy. If you went down in productivity, you were told to improve yourself.

If you like micromanaging then this is the place for you. We had what was called a "Break Tracker" and you had to choose from a list of about 20 different options as to why you were not pumping out claims. On the phone with a provider, better mark it down. Need to research a claim, better select that one. I once had a manager ask me, "what were you doing for 15 minutes last Tuesday morning?" Apparently I had forgotten to log my time away from my desk and my manager who had too much time on her hands felt she needed to get to the bottom of it. I was in my late 20's then and felt like I was being treated like a child.

The last year I worked there I was basically just working for a paycheck. The morale had gone way down. During our annual BBQ relay races at the local park, I just didn't care to participate....I just didn't want to be there. I finally quit and haven't looked back.

Advice to Management

Ease up on choosing temps over the people who have been there for years and put in their time. If someone asks for extra training, it's their way of saying, "I would like to improve on my knowledge because I would like to advance one day"

Jan 24, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello and thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I was disappointed to read that your time here wasn’t what you’d hoped it would be. We strive to have the best possible... More

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Fantastic top leadership, excellent training and educational opportunities, people are knowledgeable and passionate, the work directly impacts people's lives.

Cons

I would have liked a bit more pay as a middle manager. That said, their salary scale is transparent and overall very fair.

Oct 27, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello and thanks for taking the time to leave the Alliance feedback here on Glassdoor.com. I'm very happy to read that you're happy here. As you're likely aware, we are currently conducting a... More

8. "Great place to work at.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health (More than a year)

Pros

I look forward to coming to work here (hoping that would continue). Enough opportunities to learn and acquire skills. Supportive team members and great work life balance.

Cons

Too early to think of any as of now.

Sep 18, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. We're happy you're happy!

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, mission driven employees, long standing staff.

Cons

Near highway17 traffic is terrible, very limited part time positions. In some positions limited ability forgrowth

Sep 18, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. 2017 has been a very bad year for traffic on Highway 17 due to road closures earlier this year, and we do see traffic... More

10. "Claims Technician II"

Current Employee - Claims Tehnician II in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Tehnician II in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

Local (20 min commute), appreciate their vision, mission and values, they have great benefits for employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons to mention.

Jul 10, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. And, thanks for your appreciation of the vision, mission and values of the Alliance.