Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Consistent drive to increase work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of good talent has been lost due to cost of living in this area" (in 4 reviews)

• "Recently, A report came out about housing in the Santa Cruz County" (in 4 reviews)

1. "The best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The health benefits at the Alliance include free flu shots, a monetary incentive for getting Sonic Boom steps, a full gym, lunch time fitness and yoga classes, lunch time lectures about healthy living and more. The work/life balance benefits include, hoteling, telecommuting and a 9/80 work schedule. The culture is collaborative in that all opinions are welcome. I know some employees who have complained about incompetent or micro managing supervisors/managers/directors, but I have been here eight years and have had eight different supervisors and every single one of them were good leaders who helped me do my job better.

Cons

This is less of a con and more of a testament to our membership growth, but the company staff size has grown exponentially in the past few years and I feel that the feeling of being a tight community is slipping away and a more corporate identity is emerging. Maybe that is the price of expansion.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints about management. Keep doing what you're doing!

"The very best benefits, compensation needs to be reconsidered."

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Working at the Alliance has been such a positive experience for me. In my time here, I have not experienced a day where I dread coming to work. Actually, I look forward to coming to work and seeing my coworkers and doing my job. The benefits are great, getting paid to walk and be active is not something every company has. All three locations have an on site fitness center. Although, the fitness centers were not created equally there is not much to complain about. As others reviewer’s have mentioned... we do get free fruit twice weekly. There is a sense of unity and teamwork, especially when Halloween and the holidays come around. Departments come together throughout the year to raise money for the food bank. Our CEO is the prime example that if you work hard you can be recognized for it. She has had several positions within the company throughout the years. It’s great to know that our CEO really understands and comprehends the culture, values, and mission of the Alliance.

Cons

As far as “cons” go, I would say the major issue at hand is compensation. As Barack Obama would say “we need to spread the wealth” around. The main office is located In the Santa Cruz County. Recently, A report came out about housing in the Santa Cruz County. Below, I have included an excerpt of an article regarding housing in the Santa Cruz County:

“The California Housing Partnership released its report this month. It found that the average monthly rent price in Santa Cruz County is $2,650. The report shows that a renter would need to make at least $51.60 per hour or a monthly salary of $8,833 - about four times California's minimum wage.”

With the company’s decision to terminate COLA (cost of living adjustment), concerns arose with regards to living in a community where breathing is costly. I would like to add that Monterey County is not much of a difference in cost so they go hand in hand. The company turned to a performance based merit program, if you will. The chances of getting a 5% increase are slimmer than hitting a deer on the way out of Green Hills Rd. Very upper management are making six figures while equally hard working staff, who believe and admire the Alliance as much as they do, are struggling to purchase a home of their own or debating whether they can afford to start a family or not.

Chiefs, board, decision makers: I ask that you reconsider COLA for the sake of those employees that plan on being part of the 20 year club some day.

Advice to Management

See above for compensation!

I know there are some micro managers out there. I have not had that experience personally but I do know of great employees that have left due to poor management. Some departments can become really unified with better management. Again, I have not experienced this myself but unfortunately, many of my fellow Alliance employees have.

3. "Admin"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

The pay is really great!

Cons

There are a lot of temps.

"Good company, with bad managers/directors holding it back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

- Benefits include: very good health plan, very good retirement plan, free fruit 2x a week, walking/physical activity program with quarterly monetary kick-back for reaching preset goals.

- On-site amenities include: on-site cafe, (not free, with decent food), gym, yoga, cross-fit, basketball court.

- Lots of nice people to work beside, that have a heart for the mission of CCAH.

- Easy commute from either side of Highway 17.

- Ample parking. Solar panels being installed to provide green power, and shade for parking (great during the hot summers in Scotts Valley).

Cons

- Senior team member was major factor for my departure. Contributed very little to the day-to-day tasks, as they were constantly on eBay. Frequently condescending in their remarks towards other peoples' ideas that don't perfectly align with theirs. Their ideologies and methodologies were 10-15 years out of date (forcing CCAH to utilize tools that are 10-15 years out of date) and a source of contention with the entire team. Senior team member had more impact on the team's overall goals and priorities than the department's actual manager. Attempting to discuss and resolve these issues with the senior team member were met with confusion and denial by the senior team member. ALL issues brought to the team's manager were excused and/or ignored due to the senior team member's longevity with CCAH. Multiple team members have left CCAH due to this senior team member.

- LOTS of political drama within the company. Frequently saw other departments' managers completely ignore policy and procedure to get what they wanted; which frequently caused extra work for our team. Certain departments are completely siloed from scrutiny, while others are held under a magnifying glass. Several managers were cut-throat and back-stabbing in their grabs for influence/power. I know of one manager that outright lied to get another high-level employee fired and then gloated about it openly to another employee. Some (bad) managers have threatened to quit if reorganized under certain (higher-qualified) managers/directors, so these managers have ended up staying around. This has lead to bad managers (and higher) having an easy time in staying with CCAH and flourishing, as they've either pushed their "foes" out the door or their disillusioned/frustrated employees have left.

- Our department was frequently swamped with work, severely impacting our department's ability to actually complete additional projects in a timely manner. Most departments appeared to have similar problems, with staffing always a problem. Entire company seems to have a high turn-over rate, with most staff lasting less than 3-5 years. Quality temp (i.e. non-benefit) employees have to endure years (literally) before being hired on as Full Time.

- Raises have been changed to Merit-based rather than Cost-of-Living. Meaning you could receive a sub-COL raise due to factors outside of your control (i.e. project timeline missed due to other department, etc).

- Several employees in other departments are the "Eyes-&-Ears" of their managers. Saying anything mildly negative within ear-shot of them, about their (or other) manager(s), inevitably got back to the manager; resulting in PTO/career blocking by the manager.

Advice to Management

- *LISTEN* to your employees' feedback, during their one-on-one meetings with their managers and during their exit interviews. Taking in information and then doing nothing productive allows a toxic work environment to continue.

- You should invest in your employees. This includes allowing time (i.e. lack of constant projects/extra work) for additional training in products and disciplines that allows them to further support CCAH and adds value to their career. This shows that you care about them and want them to stay.

- Pay your employees more. Claiming to pay "the market rate" but constantly expecting more work because you can't/won't hire adequate resources doesn't cut it. My on-boarding was painfully slow; from initial phone call to actual first day on-site was 3 months (!!!). You will easily lose potential employees due to slow HR response times. I literally saw it happen several times while at CCAH. This added to my workload because our team was constantly under-staffed.

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here are committed to the mission of the organization, which I think is a positive factor in who the organization attracts and retains. My immediate team is supportive and collaborative, which makes coming in to work a pleasure, as opposed to a chore.

Work environment in Scotts Valley is pretty - set amongst trees, with a trail head onsite, along with fully equipped onsite gym. As others have mentioned, the PTO accrual is generous, and the 10% contribution to retirement (contribution, not match) is outstanding.

Cons

Careful and thoughtful decision making means that change is a little slow, which can be frustrating.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

I’m glad to read that you are enjoying your role at the Alliance. You’re absolutely right; employees at the Alliance are committed to our mission and are very positive about their work to improve our... More

"Great Company, Great People, Great Mission"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for (and I've worked at quite a few). Leadership at all levels is approachable. The vision and mission of the company are important to me personally. This is a non-profit that provides healthcare to the underserved and I like being part of that. (I don't really want to work for a company to make the owners or shareholders rich.) The benefits here are the best I have ever had at any company. The PTO/time off is very good. They have implemented a lot of work-life balance programs that I'm very excited about. The onsite fitness facility is very nice. I cancelled my regular gym membership. I have never worked for an employer that contributes 10% of my salary to my retirement like the Alliance does. They have a town hall meeting every quarter to give updates to the company. There is an onsite cafeteria in Scotts Valley. The office is kept clean and in good working order. The online training programs are good. The company is focused on sustainability and this is important to me. Solar panels are being installed on all of the offices. I like how there is a good sense of team and community here at the company. There's a lot of good and important work going on and for the most part everyone seems to be working toward the same goals. I really like coming to work and hope to be here for a very long time. A new CEO started this year, and she came up through the company. Shows to me you can work hard and be recognized and rewarded for it.

Cons

There could be better communication between departments. I am hoping the new communications department will pay attention to this. Some IT systems are a bit clunky. Traffic into and out of the Scotts Valley location can be dreadful but all of Santa Cruz county has gotten a lot worse in recent years.

Advice to Management

Work more on communication internally. I am looking forward to the new tele-commuting program.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance. It’s certainly a point of pride to read that this is the best organization you’ve worked for. We work diligently to ensure the Alliance is an... More

"A fantastic career choice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are probably too many pros to fit in this space, so where do I begin? The Alliance has a tremendously important mission: to help keep the communities it serves healthy. They do this by maintaining and continuously improving a health care coverage network that serves 1/3 of the population in its communities.

The gravity of this responsibility can't be understated, and the opportunity to help fulfill this mission attracts many talented folks to the Alliance. Colleagues constantly seek to innovate and enhance the Alliance's ability to achieve this mission, and the resulting culture is representative of a respectful, collaborative organization with a unified purpose.

Benefits are ultra across the board. Beyond the affordable healthcare, generous PTO and meaty retirement contributions, I enjoy the little things the Alliance does to keep employees happy and engaged -- team events, awards and swag, Costco and gym memberships... those sort of things, which never fail to surprise and delight.

I wake up every day excited to work with my colleagues and to help make a difference. The days and weeks fly by, leaving me fulfilled and wanting for more. Joining the Alliance was a great decision, and I encourage others to seriously check it out. (Oh, and I can't wait to experience the legendary Halloween madness here.)

Cons

The heat in Scotts Valley can be a bit heavy in the summer but, hey, it's California and the Alliance has air conditioning. Other than that, no cons immediately come to mind.

Advice to Management

As the Alliance continues to grow and evolve, it will be important to find new and creative ways to continue to nurture the organization's amazing culture. Organizational culture is a bit like a rare flower garden in that it must be carefully attended to in order to ensure its continued yield. I hope the Alliance will continue to cultivate its supportive culture for many years to come.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for your feedback on working at the Alliance. We’re glad you are finding fulfilment in your work here! Yes, we are a mission-driven organization comprised of industry leaders in their... More

"Good Company " its not what you know- its who you know""

Current Employee - Member Services in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Member Services in Merced, CA

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, telecommuting if your position qualifies

Cons

Downside is the opportunity for growth. Provider Services Reps in Monterey County seem very ill informed and have had many complaints from departments and providers. When there are higher openings available they do not offer qualified candidates but instead take on candidates that are under experienced with a degree or someone with a degree but completely unfamiliar to the field.

Advice to Management

relocation opportunity should be given no matter what the review status depicts... you are opening up the program to all employees which gives them a chance to work closer to home... but yet have denied several people based on reviews, their review should not be a factor to why they are not able to work closer to home...sounds very unfair.

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I’m happy to read that you appreciate our benefits and Work/Life Balance opportunities. In regard to your comment about advancement... More

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Merced, CA

Pros

Company Mission and values serving community

Cons

Department Manager treatment sense of bullying and age discrimination trying to make me fail

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor and, more importantly, for more than eight years of service to the Alliance and our members. Your commitment to our vision and mission is... More

"Good Company but not flawed"

Pros

The benefits and perks are great. People can take and use all their PTO. Get every other friday off is nice.

Cons

There are a bunch of homegrown managers and leaders that are not college educated. Some of these managers and supervisors push out talented associates.

Jul 12, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. I’m happy to read that you’re enjoying the benefits program the Alliance has developed for employees. Our PTO benefit... More