Central California Alliance for Health Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2021

3.7
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine
Pros
  • "The work/life balance program here is very good(in 18 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor leadership and decision making(in 6 reviews)

• "ALL issues brought to the team's manager were excused and/or ignored due to the senior team member's longevity with CCAH(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Support throughout 2020

Dec 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Alliance has supported it's employees, providers, and members throughout all that 2020 has thrown at us. As an employee, Ihave been able to safely and securely maintain our work, benefits, etc in a fully remote environment. Very grateful for the support, flexibility, and security that management has provided this year

Cons

The fully remote work environment really makes what so many of us love about the Alliance culture stand out even more! It has been a struggle to re-create/maintain those elements. As we look towards at least another 6 months of remote life, the organization is working on rolling out some social platforms for staff to help with this. Looking forward to those changes

4 people found this review helpful

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for sharing your positive Alliance experience on Glassdoor and thank you for your dedication throughout this past year as we transitioned to a fully remote work environment due to COVID-19. This was a first for our organization and culture, and this past year certainly presented many challenges from COVID-19 to wildfires to PGE electrical power outages. During all of this, we have been inspired by the contributions and hard work our employees have demonstrated to support our own employees, our members and our providers. We are glad to hear you’ve felt supported and have adjusted well to the remote environment. As you mentioned, we have been working on some channels and ideas to engage in a new way with each other such as Parent’s Corner emails, Health & Wellness topics and even more to come! In addition to our regular quarterly All Staff Meetings (now done virtually), our CEO leads Town Halls to share updates, connect with staff and hear from people in a more informal setting. We’ve also created in-house workgroups to to further address the ongoing remote work environment, see what can be sustained long term and identify any other opportunities that will help employees be more successful, as well as planning for an office re-opening date when it is safe and appropriate to do so. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your feedback.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Mission & Work Environment

Apr 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It feels good to work for a company that truly makes a difference in the communities we serve. It is a big plus to be working with colleagues you enjoy, who are aligned with the company mission, and are committed to the work they do. Great benefits and work/life balance as well.

Cons

It's healthcare so one needs to be able to focus, be flexible and adapt to changes. (not really a con)

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

The Alliance's work is challenging and rewarding.

Feb 20, 2021 - Contracts Manager in Scotts Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Challenging work *Mission that aligned with personal compass *Collaborative atmosphere *Healthy emphasis on work/life balance *Generous benefits and paid time off

Cons

-There were few opportunities for flexible schedules. -Limited technology/software available to do some of the work

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Glassdoor. The mission of the Alliance, as well as that of other Medi-Cal organizations, is indeed challenging yet very rewarding at the same time. I’m happy to hear that our mission was one that you felt you could champion during your time at the Alliance. We are proud to be able to assist over 360,000 members in Santa Cruz, Monterey and Merced counties. Our employees have often shared how much they value our emphasis on a healthy work/life balance. At the Alliance, we strive to provide a robust suite of options under our work/life balance program. We offer telecommuting, flexible scheduling, and other opportunities. We recognize that, based on the employee’s role, not all options can be made available to all staff. You mentioned our generous benefits as well as paid time off, and I’m glad that you found those to be beneficial to you. We are happy to be able to offer our staff an array of health benefit options, including medical, dental and vision. Our “Friends Helping Friends” program gives employees the option to donate some of their unused paid time off to another employee who may need additional time away from work, and our employees have always been extremely willing to help one another out. I’m sorry to hear that you felt limited with the tools and software that were available for you to use in your department. We are continuing to improve our technology at the Alliance, and recently completed a successful transition for all of our employees and offices to Windows 10. The instant messaging feature that was introduced last year has increased communication across the Alliance and our IT Department is continuing to research more efficient and cost-effective tools for our teams to use. We regularly look for ways to improve and enhance technology resources. Any specific ideas or suggestions you could provide would be assessed. Thanks again, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

4. 5.0

Great work enviiornment

Mar 27, 2021 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work, amazing PTO, very positive and respectful workplace culture, many avenues for promotions.

Cons

no cons that I can think of

5. 2.0

Command and control incarnate

Jan 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to learn and cut your teeth in some respects.

Cons

Mired in bureaucracy with convoluted and inefficient processes. Meeting packets the size of small booklets are meticulous prepared by gaggles of anxious entry level staff who seem prepetually in fear of their managers (for a reason; mistakes here are punished harshly, every little one), yet no one ever reads them. Flexibility in processes and progress are sacrificed on the altar of officiousness. Just read the annual plan on the website. It's got lots of good sounding words in it, that many people agonized over endlessly, but it's not like it actually tells you anything. Forget safe experimentation, new ideas and agility. Better burn the mid-night oil over something of no use to anyone, lest you get in trouble for a typo. Need to recshedule a meeting? Better ask someone in "senior leadership" for approval. This is command and control incarnate.

6 people found this review helpful

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m sorry to read that this was your experience as an employee. As a publicly funded County Organized Health System contracting with the state of California, there are many processes and policies that we must follow to be in compliance with our contract, so while it could feel bureaucratic, most procedures we follow are necessary and required. With that said, we are actively engaged in assessing our processes through a new Alliance Dashboard, measuring a smaller number of meaningful metrics and working to equip leaders and staff with the tools of process improvement to design, refine or overhaul processes. Our written plan for 2021 is focused and simply stated, as follows: (1) Adapt Operations in an Evolving Environment, (2) Ensure Sustainable Financial Performance, and (3) Meet Member Health Needs. Our leadership team continues to gain new tools and techniques through feedback and coaching with the Leadership Practices Inventory, and ongoing training through LinkedIn Learning and a brand-new course – AWAKEN Leadership, created by our in-house Training & Development Department. In this training we further train leadership on the personal philosophies, our values of Improvement, Integrity, Collaboration and Equity, and the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership: Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others to Act, and Encourage the Heart. You specifically mentioned Agile in your review and while not all departments are trained in using this, a few of our Software Development teams use this methodology in their work. Again, it’s unfortunate that your time here wasn’t the best experience for you. I wish you the best in your future opportunities.

6. 4.0

Meaningful Work

Mar 2, 2021 - Business Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Human Resources is not helpful

1 person found this review helpful

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance on Glassdoor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the benefits and work life balance that we offer. Many of our employees comment on how much they appreciate our medical, dental and vision benefits, as well as our gym benefits and tuition reimbursement. I invite you to contact me directly with specifics regarding your statement about our Human Resources department. Our team strives to provide professional and personable customer service to all of our employees. I’m sorry to hear that was not the situation you experienced, and more specific details shared with me would assist in researching the issue further.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Very Good Employer

Feb 26, 2021 - Retired in Aptos, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very informative about company actions. Good work environment. Opportunity for growth.

Cons

Once in a while some seeming random dismissals without any explaination.

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the Alliance on Glassdoor. We appreciate hearing that you felt communication to employees about the company was helpful and informative. We strive to ensure our employees have a good understanding of what the Alliance is doing in our community as well as what is being communicated to our members and providers. Our quarterly All-Staff Meetings, as well as our monthly Town Hall Meetings with CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine and other leaders provide an opportunity for all employees to share their thoughts and concerns and also ensures a place for open dialogue between employees and leadership. Thought we are all working remotely at the moment, we continue to support a work environment that helps employees feel connected. Several departments having monthly Zoom lunches together, and employees are finding creative ways to work together to ensure that everyone feels part of the team. Our “Alliance Connect” page is also a great resource for our employees to feel connected, especially in the areas of Health & Wellness, as well as parenting in our Parenting Corner. Our opportunities for growth include an internal job board for current employees, LinkedIn Learning courses as well as tuition reimbursement for those qualifying. Many employees have been with us for years and have appreciated these benefits. Regarding your comment about employees seemingly to be dismissed without explanation, as you’re likely aware (and hopefully support), it’s customary to ensure matters specific to an employee’s departure from an organization are private and confidential. This practice is not unique to the Alliance as protecting employee privacy is broadly practiced and expected. Best of luck and thank you again for providing us with your feedback.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Okay for the right mind set

Aug 17, 2020 - Pricing Representative in Santa Cruz, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly smart co-workers. Flex Schedule was great!

Cons

The original CEO left in 2018. Sadly he took the soul of the organization with him. Now, the company jumps though unreasonable hoops for the state of California and instead of being a strong innovative company, it has turned into yet another report generating bureaucratic quasi-government company.

6 people found this review helpful

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Glassdoor. You are correct in that we work directly with the state of California to provide Medi-Cal managed care to over 350,000 residents throughout our service area. Note, however, that our contract with the State of California does require certain deliverables. While there may be variations from time to time, primary expectations have not changed dramatically over time. The Alliance continues to be a forward-thinking and innovative organization. One example would be our Medi-Cal Capacity Grant Program. We’ve invested millions of dollars in our community in the following areas: Increasing Provider Capacity; Expanding Access to Behavioral Health and Substance Use Disorder Services; Developing and Strengthening High Utilizer Support Resources; and Promoting Healthy Eating and Active Living. Between 2015 and 2019, the Alliance has awarded 492 grants totaling $100.7M. Another example, in 2020 the Alliance donated over $600,000.00 to local food banks to support local residents hardest hit by the pandemic. We’ve also focused on innovative ways to provide services and support for our members in response to the pandemic and wildfires throughout our areas. Organizational change, such as reorganizations and layoffs, are never easy for anyone involved, from those who are tasked with making difficult decisions, to those directly impacted, to others in-between. I can share simply that the utmost thought and planning was considered and implemented as we made the difficult and necessary decision to address medical and administrative costs. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

9. 2.0

Review

Mar 27, 2021 - Registered Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid Time Off and Holiday Benefits

Cons

Lack of leadership and wasteful spending

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful Job

Feb 8, 2021 - Call Center Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Remote work, nothing more

Cons

Stressful Job, Too much information to obtain from every department, lack of support from supervisors, expect to handle calls in less than 5 min, rude members are always right.

2 people found this review helpful

Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding the Alliance. We have worked hard to ensure that our employees have the most comprehensive and robust benefits plans to choose from. I’m glad you enjoyed those programs during your employment. The telecommuting environment that began in March, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic created new opportunities, as well as challenges to learn from, for each one of our departments. Our employees did a great job with adapting to the “new normal” of working fulltime from home and learning new ways of training and collaboration across the company. Our mission of “accessible, quality health care guided by local innovation,” became even more vital as we continued to reach out to members who were doing their best to navigate through the unknowns and ever-changing situations regarding the pandemic. I appreciate you letting me know your thoughts regarding the stress in your role during that time, and that you required support from your supervisors in a different way than what you experienced. We will continue to make sure our leaders have the most updated training in regards to how best support our employees. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 87 Reviews