Central California Alliance for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Central California Alliance for Health CEO Stephanie Sonnenshine
Stephanie Sonnenshine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Consistent drive to increase work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Great benefits with an emphasis on health and wellness" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of good talent has been lost due to cost of living in this area" (in 4 reviews)

• "Very collaborative, which at times is great, but at times also slows down the decision making process" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Strong Leadership, Mission, Pay, Benefits, Culture"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

The mission and vision of the company is what drew me here. I wanted a company where I could personally make a difference. I get to do that every day. Health care is a good choice for people that want to impact someone else’s life. That’s why I’m in this profession and the Alliance was a good place for me to land. Pay is great and so are benefits. A ten percent contribution (not match…contribution) to the 401 account is unheard of. PTO is very generous. The work/life balance program here is very good. I love having an onsite gym. I see a strong leadership team here. I feel supported in my work and a lot of my coworkers feel the same. Leadership keeps staff informed by having meetings for all employees quarterly. The culture here is one I have not experienced before. Like a family almost. Lots of people have close relationships. The company does a lot for staff with all the little perks. I think our office is in a beautiful natural setting. I like my walks outside on my breaks. I like also how the Alliance is forward thinking, especially with the sustainability efforts and solar. This helps the environment and saves the company money. Environmental protections are important to me and I like this aspect of the company.

I read some of the recent reviews after the restructure announcement from November and wonder if those people work for the same employer as me. I don’t see power struggles at the leadership level. Personally I get quite a lot of help from my supervisor when I need it. HR has been helpful and responsive when I’ve contacted them. My interview and offer process was good. The onboarding program at the Alliance is one of the best I’ve ever had.

There were layoffs last month and friends of mine who were laid off told me they got severance, health insurance and help with finding new work. The CEO had a company meeting that day and explained the situation. I think that no one likes layoffs but this was done a lot better than in other companies I have been at and most people laid off at my former company didn’t get a severance package at all. The Alliance did it right in my opinion. I’d prefer a management team that can make hard decisions to address too many employees instead keeping people around who didn’t have work to do. I think that with a new CEO and a new COO the restructure could have been predicted. That’s what usually happens when some new leadership comes on at least in my experience at prior companies. I’ve seen reorgs every year at some places.

Cons

Traffic to and from work. Not much the company can do about that but I’m telecommuting now so that helps. I am sad about the fruit and the quarterly fitness challenge going away but they said it was a cost cutting measure. Better that then increasing health insurance or cutting other very important benefits.

Advice to Management

The Alliance is a great place to be. It is not perfect but I really enjoy being here and doing some important and rewarding work that helps others. My advice is to just keep doing the hard work so we can continue to deliver care to our members. “It’s all about the member.”

"Case Manager"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

pay, benefits, work life balance

Cons

hard work, too little staff

Advice to Management

more staff less management

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I’m happy to read that you’ve listed benefits and work life balance as pros related to working here. Yes, our work is challenging. At... More

"Troubled Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good benefits and competitive pay for the area.

Cons

Poor leadership and decision making. A lot of waste (resources and money) on half-baked ideas which are often made in a silo.
    HR is the worst I've ever worked with including lack of responsiveness, many conflicting and poorly written policies, lack of professionalism, and poor quality of HR employees.

Advice to Management

No leadership accountability for decisions that led to recent layoffs. Lack of true planning (operational and financial). Departments are not incentivized to work together. Rather, especially in this current environment departments are fighting over need to remain relevant and establish job security.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance.

We take pride in being able to offer staff a comprehensive benefits package and competitive pay. Considering the impact the... More

"Layoffs"

I worked at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

Telecommuting, benefits are reasonable, commute is great.

Cons

Layoffs occurred a few weeks ago and more layoffs are on the horizon. The whole situation has created an even more toxic environment, nobody feels safe here.

Advice to Management

Why waste a ton of money on solar paneling, remodeling the HR offices and so forth? We should all be frugal during these tough times, HR is not excluded.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments on Glassdoor.

With our recent restructure, it was determined that we were overstaffed in some areas. Accordingly, a reduction in force was... More

"Things have changed"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition assistance, on-site gym, free flu shots, telecommuting, good benefits.

Cons

Poor management. It used to be a great place to work but things have changed recently. Micromanagement is the new norm. Recent layoffs were handled poorly and it looks like there is more to come. Very poor communication leading to paranoia.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their ideas.

Dec 10, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance.

I’m happy to read that you’re finding value in our generous staff benefits. Continued education, employee wellness and work-life balance, among... More

"The best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The health benefits at the Alliance include free flu shots, a monetary incentive for getting Sonic Boom steps, a full gym, lunch time fitness and yoga classes, lunch time lectures about healthy living and more. The work/life balance benefits include, hoteling, telecommuting and a 9/80 work schedule. The culture is collaborative in that all opinions are welcome. I know some employees who have complained about incompetent or micro managing supervisors/managers/directors, but I have been here eight years and have had eight different supervisors and every single one of them were good leaders who helped me do my job better.

Cons

This is less of a con and more of a testament to our membership growth, but the company staff size has grown exponentially in the past few years and I feel that the feeling of being a tight community is slipping away and a more corporate identity is emerging. Maybe that is the price of expansion.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints about management. Keep doing what you're doing!

7. "Admin"

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time

Pros

The pay is really great!

Cons

There are a lot of temps.

"Good company, with bad managers/directors holding it back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

Pros

- Benefits include: very good health plan, very good retirement plan, free fruit 2x a week, walking/physical activity program with quarterly monetary kick-back for reaching preset goals.

- On-site amenities include: on-site cafe, (not free, with decent food), gym, yoga, cross-fit, basketball court.

- Lots of nice people to work beside, that have a heart for the mission of CCAH.

- Easy commute from either side of Highway 17.

- Ample parking. Solar panels being installed to provide green power, and shade for parking (great during the hot summers in Scotts Valley).

Cons

- Senior team member was major factor for my departure. Contributed very little to the day-to-day tasks, as they were constantly on eBay. Frequently condescending in their remarks towards other peoples' ideas that don't perfectly align with theirs. Their ideologies and methodologies were 10-15 years out of date (forcing CCAH to utilize tools that are 10-15 years out of date) and a source of contention with the entire team. Senior team member had more impact on the team's overall goals and priorities than the department's actual manager. Attempting to discuss and resolve these issues with the senior team member were met with confusion and denial by the senior team member. ALL issues brought to the team's manager were excused and/or ignored due to the senior team member's longevity with CCAH. Multiple team members have left CCAH due to this senior team member.

- LOTS of political drama within the company. Frequently saw other departments' managers completely ignore policy and procedure to get what they wanted; which frequently caused extra work for our team. Certain departments are completely siloed from scrutiny, while others are held under a magnifying glass. Several managers were cut-throat and back-stabbing in their grabs for influence/power. I know of one manager that outright lied to get another high-level employee fired and then gloated about it openly to another employee. Some (bad) managers have threatened to quit if reorganized under certain (higher-qualified) managers/directors, so these managers have ended up staying around. This has lead to bad managers (and higher) having an easy time in staying with CCAH and flourishing, as they've either pushed their "foes" out the door or their disillusioned/frustrated employees have left.

- Our department was frequently swamped with work, severely impacting our department's ability to actually complete additional projects in a timely manner. Most departments appeared to have similar problems, with staffing always a problem. Entire company seems to have a high turn-over rate, with most staff lasting less than 3-5 years. Quality temp (i.e. non-benefit) employees have to endure years (literally) before being hired on as Full Time.

- Raises have been changed to Merit-based rather than Cost-of-Living. Meaning you could receive a sub-COL raise due to factors outside of your control (i.e. project timeline missed due to other department, etc).

- Several employees in other departments are the "Eyes-&-Ears" of their managers. Saying anything mildly negative within ear-shot of them, about their (or other) manager(s), inevitably got back to the manager; resulting in PTO/career blocking by the manager.

Advice to Management

- *LISTEN* to your employees' feedback, during their one-on-one meetings with their managers and during their exit interviews. Taking in information and then doing nothing productive allows a toxic work environment to continue.

- You should invest in your employees. This includes allowing time (i.e. lack of constant projects/extra work) for additional training in products and disciplines that allows them to further support CCAH and adds value to their career. This shows that you care about them and want them to stay.

- Pay your employees more. Claiming to pay "the market rate" but constantly expecting more work because you can't/won't hire adequate resources doesn't cut it. My on-boarding was painfully slow; from initial phone call to actual first day on-site was 3 months (!!!). You will easily lose potential employees due to slow HR response times. I literally saw it happen several times while at CCAH. This added to my workload because our team was constantly under-staffed.

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Central California Alliance for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here are committed to the mission of the organization, which I think is a positive factor in who the organization attracts and retains. My immediate team is supportive and collaborative, which makes coming in to work a pleasure, as opposed to a chore.

Work environment in Scotts Valley is pretty - set amongst trees, with a trail head onsite, along with fully equipped onsite gym. As others have mentioned, the PTO accrual is generous, and the 10% contribution to retirement (contribution, not match) is outstanding.

Cons

Careful and thoughtful decision making means that change is a little slow, which can be frustrating.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

I’m glad to read that you are enjoying your role at the Alliance. You’re absolutely right; employees at the Alliance are committed to our mission and are very positive about their work to improve our... More

"Great Company, Great People, Great Mission"

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for (and I've worked at quite a few). Leadership at all levels is approachable. The vision and mission of the company are important to me personally. This is a non-profit that provides healthcare to the underserved and I like being part of that. (I don't really want to work for a company to make the owners or shareholders rich.) The benefits here are the best I have ever had at any company. The PTO/time off is very good. They have implemented a lot of work-life balance programs that I'm very excited about. The onsite fitness facility is very nice. I cancelled my regular gym membership. I have never worked for an employer that contributes 10% of my salary to my retirement like the Alliance does. They have a town hall meeting every quarter to give updates to the company. There is an onsite cafeteria in Scotts Valley. The office is kept clean and in good working order. The online training programs are good. The company is focused on sustainability and this is important to me. Solar panels are being installed on all of the offices. I like how there is a good sense of team and community here at the company. There's a lot of good and important work going on and for the most part everyone seems to be working toward the same goals. I really like coming to work and hope to be here for a very long time. A new CEO started this year, and she came up through the company. Shows to me you can work hard and be recognized and rewarded for it.

Cons

There could be better communication between departments. I am hoping the new communications department will pay attention to this. Some IT systems are a bit clunky. Traffic into and out of the Scotts Valley location can be dreadful but all of Santa Cruz county has gotten a lot worse in recent years.

Advice to Management

Work more on communication internally. I am looking forward to the new tele-commuting program.

Aug 9, 2018 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance. It’s certainly a point of pride to read that this is the best organization you’ve worked for. We work diligently to ensure the Alliance is an... More