Central Desktop Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Inside Sales Role"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with intelligent solution oriented coworkers

Cons

Lots of competition from the SaaS market resulting in longer sales cycles

2. "Small Team Big Company"

I worked at Central Desktop full-time

Pros

Great location in Old Town Pasadena
    Small team atmosphere
    Opportunity for growth within the larger organization

Cons

Although its a small team essentially managing the "iMeet Central" product, the big corporation bureaucratic, slow to react, slow to change, who do I report to? stuff does exist.

Advice to Management

Keep the core team of talent together. Still a great group.

3. "Central Desktop"

Pros

Great work environment when I was there.

Cons

None...good place to work and grow

"Look somewhere else unless you want to work for a frat."

Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The product has/had a lot of potential.
    - Met some truly kind and great people
    - Benefits are very good, parking, health, vacation time.
    - The Pasadena office is very centrally located in old town pasadena.

Cons

- One men's room toilet stall for 30+ men in an office.
    - Upper management appreciates and rewards workers who kiss up more than workers who put in 20+ ot per week every week.
    - While I met some great people here I me double that amount of fake people here who will praise your work in front of your face then talk unprofessionally about you behind your back.
    - The product has potentially but is being pulled in 5 direction by a horrid CTO, clients, and a parent company which makes the product no longer good at any one thing.
    - If you're a hardworker look elsewhere.
    - I saw upper management in many departments just let hard workers leave because they wouldn't offer solid counter offers.

Advice to Management

- All of the 20 or so hard-workers you've lost the past 2 years I recommend contacting them and begging them to come back because you're company is hurting for it.
    - Suck up your pride.
    - Reward people you see working extra hours daily and not the people that you enjoy hanging out with.
    - The people with tenure at your company are becoming extremely inefficient and lazy and you don't even see it, you need to keep them on their feet.

6. "Great people"

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at CD are typically great people to work with. Smart, driven, and work well together. They're often willing to be more than clock punchers, and when I left, most of the cliques you see in larger offices were dissolving.

Cons

The company itself is undergoing some growing pains as it has been acquired a few times over, and the direction and flexibility it once enjoyed isn't as prevalent.

Advice to Management

The company was once extremely transparent - or at least it felt that way. I know it's hard to still be that when you aren't calling the shots anymore, but transparency is even more key in that case.

7. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Great culture. You get to work with really smart people with good heads on their shoulders. There's always a challenge for you to take on if you really want it. Nobody is going to baby sit you here. Things move quick and you must be able to keep up.

Cons

This is a really complex product in a very competitive space. Since this is a more mature product, innovation seems to happen less and less. New releases are minor and it's getting harder and harder for them to stay relevant.

Advice to Management

Shake up upper management, bring in some new blood.

8. "Great culture, fun environment, and start up feel"

I have been working at Central Desktop full-time

Pros

Dynamic company with great team members.
    Mgmt is open to listening on how we can improve internal and external processes.
    Fun company events.
    Snacks,, lax dress code, and in a fun part of Pasadena.

Cons

Wish the two offices were combined
    Need more dept meeting updates

Advice to Management

Keep up the team building events and product development and innovation.

"Hope is not a strategy."

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you live in LA, are early in your career, and are looking for a stepping stone to something better in a year or two... this could be an option. There are some sharp folks that work there, but CD is a sinking ship.

Cons

Everyone wants to like this company and the CEO... but the reality is the company is a sinking ship and the CEO isn't the right person to lead a company (nice guy but over his head).

New enterprise business is almost non existent, and current customers are not renewing their service at an alarming rate.

Examples of weak leadership:

- Hiring a large sales team (then firing 90% of them) before the solution has real traction (this fundamental error has occurred at least twice).
    - Constant changes in focus. 1. general collaboration solution. 2. Ad agency solution (oops it isn't a fit because of obvious holes in the solution). 3. Selling to marketing decision makers at large brands (because that's what others companies are doing).
    - No VP of Sales for 18 months and counting.
    - Zero trust within the company. CEO outwardly admits he doesn't trust salespeople (even though his background is sales).
    - Faux culture.
    The solution at it's core is a "Poor Man's Sharepoint" and has no real area that it excels in... so it's up to the customer to determine their Use Case (good luck with that strategy).

Advice to Management

Bring in new Exec team, or sell the company.

10. "I worked for CD for almost 2 years as a developer."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Anaheim Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Anaheim Hills, CA

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sophisticated development process. Knowledgeable and talented coworkers. This includes the management in the Orange County office (where I worked).

Cons

Performance metrics are opaque. Large project successes are rewarded, small successes are hard to quantify under anything other than a large project banner. Had little direct contact with the Pasedena office. Events often transpired I had no understanding of or knowledge of in the Company, throught the Pasedena office.

Advice to Management

I believe the company would be very different if the developers and support staff worked in closer proximity. I think the separation is beneficial.

"High hopes, lack of execution"

Pros

Some really fun coworkers. Great location in Pasadena. One of the few SaaS companies in LA area. Product is decent.

Cons

Central desktop has very poor management. The product feels like it is always on the verge of something good, but never quite gets there. There isnt a lot of room for career growth and development

Advice to Management

Your company will live and die with your employees. Stop treating them as replaceable! Hire A players and listen to their ideas and feedback.