Central Garden & Pet Reviews | Glassdoor

Central Garden & Pet President and CEO George Roeth
George Roeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "They also like to put massive controls under one person" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sharp, Thorough, Efficient"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interview process was expedient, with an interview agenda routed in advance and great communication throughout.
     - Received a lovely welcome package at home after accepting offer.
     - On-boarding was efficient, with clear communication and easy-to-follow process of reviewing and completing assigned tasks.
     - Team was welcoming and supportive, with thoughtfully guided on-boarding meetings and access to all the necessary resources to get acclimated.
     - Management is smart, pragmatic and accessible. Projects are approached thoughtfully and timelines are measured and realistic, with contributors expected to be accountable for their work and

Cons

- Commute from Oakley/Brentwood area has gotten a lot worse lately, making the drive unfortunately longer than anticipated.
     - Corporate Environment - Business Professional with casual Friday; would benefit from a more casual atmosphere.
     - Would love to see the company embrace a more flexible work from home policy with teams so distributed across the Country.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in digital and ecommerce resources and technology, and keep empowering the smart individual managers you have hired to successfully drive the business into the future of Garden & Pet commerce.

Nov 5, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking a time to provide feedback on your interviewing, onboarding and employment experience! Your input has been shared with HR and leadership.

2. "Really great company"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Was a great company to work for and was sad to leave but had to for family reasons

Cons

None that I can think of

3. "Can you manage yourself and live in a lower cost of living area, this place is perfect for you."

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, most of the winter is down time.

Cons

No upward momentum, no leadership or accountability, doesn't pay to cost of living. No development process or plans for increasing revenue or employees to move up.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Territory Managers that live in very expensive parts of the country, and celebrate their successes instead of rewarding incompetent managers and demotovate those who work hard.

"Company is not recommended to work for"

Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Monday through Friday and overtime.

Cons

I was discriminated against certain employees of a different color.

Advice to Management

Get your facts straight be for you decide to let an employee go.

5. "Merchandiser"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Very easy work
    Decent pay
    Not tied down to an office

Cons

Have to do a decent amount of traveling

Nov 5, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review about your employment experience. A merchandiser role is a perfect fit for those that want variety and don't mind driving to various stores.

6. "Good job overall"

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, very flexible, great for college students.

Cons

Can be boring at times

Oct 19, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to hear you enjoy your job - I've never heard anyone describe a job at Central as boring though!

7. "Warehouse Manager"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Good insurance and dental and vision plan available

Cons

Low employer match to the 401K plan

Advice to Management

Include employees in the stock option plan instead of just the high priced managers

Oct 19, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking a time to write a review. We have recently updated our 401k plan to include a higher match and are constantly looking for other ways to reward our employees. Your input in... More

8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People and lots of room for opportunity.

Cons

Pay is lower than typical. Cost of living increases are set at corporate level. It is figured that the cost of living is the same in other areas around the country, as it is in Seattle. Except that Seattle costs about 3 times what others cost.
    401k is somewhat of a joke, and as a salaried worker, expect to work far longer hours than the 40 you'll be getting paid for.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining good employees and not as much on acquiring companies. Build your benefits package to entice employees to stick around.
    Some of the smaller branches need more employees to help share the workload. The people have to juggle too many positions at once.

Oct 19, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have some exciting updates to our 401k plan to you should hear about soon!

"Sales"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

The worker bees in the company are really good people.

Cons

There is no forward momentum in this company at all! Management does not care about its employees or treat them fairly.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees who have been there for years. Create more opportunities for growth.

Oct 19, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy in your role. If you would like to be put in touch with Human Resources, please send an email to recruiting@central.com.

"Listening Ears"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Some really talented folks that want to make a difference.

Cons

HR is unresponsive to the needs of employees at all levels of the BU I worked at. Lack of support providing resources, replacing open positions, understanding employee health issues and responding to requests in a timely manner. Talented Management and key employees are held back by tope management from using their talent and expertise to make recommendations and/or decisions. When errors or mistakes occur, knee jerk reactions are used to resolve the issues rather than trying to prevent re-occurrence long term. Lack of communication between departments causing redundancies, poor time management, inconsistent results, additional labor costs.

Advice to Management

Empower and engage employees at all business units to become part of the solution. Employees will respond by taking pride in their work, environment as well as gain respect for top management. Allow communication between business units so talent is shared rather than surpassed. Develop an HR Department that listens, responds and supports. These recommendations should create a more positive, productive workplace environment and reduce turnover which will improve overall business continuity and lower costs.

Oct 19, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear your experience at Central was not positive. Your feedback is concerning. If you would like to confidentially connect with our SVP of HR, please send an email to... More