Cover image for Central Garden & Pet

Central Garden & Pet CEO Tim Cofer
Tim Cofer

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Central Garden & Pet and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Great company, great culture!

May 10, 2022 - Human Resources
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people in every business segment. There are a lot of growth and development opportunities and its exciting to work for a growing, forward-thinking company.

Cons

Very segmented, so it can be challenging.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our people are what make Central a great place to work!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Work Life Balance

Dec 1, 2022 - Senior Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance opportunities within this company. Team is made up of great people, very enjoyable work environment.

Cons

doing work that doesn't fall under my department or job description.

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience at Central! We greatly appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear about your positive experience.

3. Join the Central Garden & Pet team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Positive

Jan 17, 2023 - Merchandiser
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work balance and pay is ok

Cons

No room for advancement and moral is low

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Nov 18, 2022 - Senior Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome company, great support from upper management, lot of opportunity to grow with the company and expand. Healthy environment. Work from home, flexibility, etc.

Cons

No cons - great overall experience... I moved away, only reason for leaving.

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience at Central! We greatly appreciate your feedback.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture

Nov 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This Company has great employees and great products!

Cons

BUs can operate in "silos"

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We agree that the employees and products make Central a great place to work.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Toxic culture

Dec 8, 2022 - Warehouse Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Never had a issue with my paycheck

Cons

Have a better work environment for essential warehouse workers.

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience with Central was not positive. If you would like to speak to HR to share your concerns, please contact us at recruiting@central.com.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

No work/life balance

Dec 8, 2022 - Finance & Accounting in Walnut Creek, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive salary, company-paid lunch during quarter closes, most departments work remote

Cons

Department managers determine telecommuting allowances/schedules. Was hired as hybrid, but very quickly turned into coming into the office most days. Quarter closes are horrendous (don't plan on having a life or taking any time off in those months).

Central Garden & Pet Response

At Central Garden & Pet, we are dedicated to creating a positive working environment where employees can build long, fulfilling careers. We’re sorry to hear that this wasn't your experience. If you would like to speak to HR to share your feedback or concerns, please contact us at recruiting@central.com.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Ok

Nov 2, 2022 - Quality Control Inspector in Neptune City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, overtime, advancement opps

Cons

mandatory overtime if not wanted

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback.

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

No work life balance

Nov 1, 2022 - Territory Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Independent work, Retail Environment, Not office work

Cons

pay benefits work life balance support poor communication

Central Garden & Pet Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience with Central has not been positive. If you would like to speak to HR to share your concerns, please contact us at recruiting@central.com.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Toxic Culture

Nov 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

None since Tim Cofer became CEO

Cons

Leadership is toxic. All top down with the message of "get on board or there is the door." Unfortunately, leadership doesn't know what they are doing. They came in during covid when the garden and pet industry was thriving, but now that's not the case as things have normalized. People have been treated with so much disrespect, that they have been quitting in droves. I would not recommend working here unless you love being a yes man and micromanaged. There is also no diversity in upper management.

Central Garden & Pet Response

At Central Garden & Pet, we are dedicated to creating a positive working environment where employees can build long, fulfilling careers. We’re sorry to read that this has not been your experience. We believe our employees are our greatest asset and have worked hard to help our employees build capabilities and excel in their fields. In fact, over the past year, we have promoted more employees from within than we have hired for senior-level positions. We are also pleased to share that our voluntary turnover is below industry standards. Central is on a journey of diversity and inclusion and we have made strides in increasing diversity in leadership roles and throughout the company. Please know that we take your comments very seriously and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about these concerns. If you would like to speak to Human Resources, please send an email to recruiting@central.com and you will be put in touch with the appropriate person. If you would like to share this information anonymously, please email AlertLineContact@gmail.com. The third-party operators will take your information and make sure it reaches the appropriate HR Partner.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 310 Reviews
</>Embed

Central Garden & Pet Reviews FAQs

Central Garden & Pet has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 339 reviews left anonymously by employees. 60% of employees would recommend working at Central Garden & Pet to a friend and 58% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Central Garden & Pet employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Central Garden & Pet. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

60% of Central Garden & Pet employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Central Garden & Pet 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Central Garden & Pet to be work life balance, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Central Garden & Pet Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Central Garden & Pet? Share Your Experiences

Central Garden & Pet logo

Affiliated Companies

Central Garden & Pet Careers

Cover image for Central Garden & Pet

At Central Garden & Pet, we believe home is the at the center or our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy...More

• Our Team
  • Social Responsibility

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

221 days ago

Company News
Kaytee is All for the Small - "Small in Show" Gets Some Big Love May we be so bold as to ask...why do dogs and cats get all the love? Why is it we treat these pets like royalty and ignore the rest of the animal kingdom? No matter size or species or social status, doesn't every pet deserve to be pampered and loved? Enter Kaytee. For over 150 years Kaytee has proudly championed the total well-being of birds and small pets with food, treats, bedding, toys, habitats, and accessories. They know the tremendous impact small companions can have on consumers' lives, and they want to talk about it in a big way. Introducing "All for the Small," a new campaign featuring the ways Kaytee has supported the little guys for over a century. "No brand has done more to understand and deliver on the wellness of birds and small pets than Kaytee," said Todd Regan, General Manager of Central Specialty Pet. "It's so exciting to bring our commitment to small animals to life in this new and engaging way that is sure win the hearts of consumers everywhere."
Kaytee | Small in Show Full Length ft. Rainn Wilson
www.youtube.com

221 days ago

Company News
At @Central Garden & Pet, our company mission is to lead the future of the garden and pet industries. Over 150 of our top leaders met in Phoenix to discuss how we will achieve our goals (while also having fun!). We can’t wait for all that lies ahead. #centraltohome
Shared image

Central Garden & Pet Photos

+ Add Photo
Central Garden & Pet photo of: Tim Cofer, CEO, with Toby
Central Garden & Pet photo of: Welcome to the Team!
Central Garden & Pet photo of: CSC Halloween 2019

The Home Depot

3.8

43,223 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 339 Central Garden & Pet reviews submitted anonymously by Central Garden & Pet employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Central Garden & Pet is right for you.