Central Garden & Pet Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2020

3.6
Central Garden & Pet CEO Tim Cofer
Tim Cofer
Pros
  • "You meet a lot of great people and develop great relationships(in 13 reviews)

• "The company is great for work life balance and generally a positive place to work(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced environment; enjoyable workplace"

5.0
    Current Employee - Demand Planner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training was extensive and very helpful. Hiring process is well thought out and flexible. HR extremely helpful during hiring process and always has an open door. Better than average benefits.

Cons

Nothing significant as of yet

September 11, 2019Director of Talent Acquisition

Welcome to Central! Some jobs take a while to learn - sounds like you are figuring it out!

2. "Good Mix of Large/Corporate and Small/Local Business"

5.0
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most coworkers I work closely with are in the same office. Management is generous with dress code and taking time off. Everyone is generally friendly and the working atmosphere is good.

Cons

The company as a whole has a very dispersed hierarchy that makes the largest/enterprise projects (no matter how urgent or agreed-on) take more effort and longer to realize.

March 15, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review. We continually work on ways to speed up the implementation of company-wide projects. Our matrixed structure poses challenges that we are aware of and work to mitigate daily.

3. COVID-19

"View of company has changed over past few months"

2.0
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible schedule and consistent raises and performance reviews.

Cons

Missed opportunities made during beginning stages of pandemic. Do not feel management acted quickly to ensure employees were safe. PPE was sent over a month later. Excuses as to why were unacceptable. Currently I am disappointed of the lack of communication regarding the treatment of African Americans that’s been in the news. There are many African American employees working for this organization who have heard nothing from management. This questions how leadership views people of color and what’s happening to them.

June 10, 2020Director of Communications

At Central Garden and Pet, we believe our employees are our greatest asset, and we are dedicated to creating a work environment where employees feel safe and like they belong. The past few months have been an extraordinary time for our company and our world. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working hard to learn as much as we can about the virus while providing employees information and the PPE that is now necessary to stay safe while conducting their jobs. The pandemic has required new equipment and procedures that employees have never needed before, and we’ve been as responsive as possible, but understand it may have felt delayed from an employee perspective. Central believes in challenging times, organizations must come together to create meaningful change, and we stand in solidarity against racism and violence. We acknowledge Diversity and Inclusion has not historically been our company’s strength, but our leaders are committed and passionate about building a great place to work that embraces diversity as a key pillar of our culture. This is a journey, and we are committed to listening, learning and doing the work to move forward together.

4. "Fun independent"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Working closely with others at stores

Cons

Lots of driving and heavy lifting

June 9, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our Territory Managers are busy people and we rely on them to represent Central products in retail stores, which does require driving and lifting.

5. "Good Company and Good People"

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work environment is good as well as the people. Management is good too, depending on the department you work in. Benefits are good.

Cons

Pay may not be as high as you want, neither do they give raises too often.

June 9, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Central is proud of the people who work together to bring great products to the consumer!

6. "Someone needs to get fired"

2.0

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management really do care for you and look out for you when it comes personal things that happen in your life . The job itself is pretty easy and the pay is a little above what other warehouses pay for this kind of labor. The place could be more organized and update a lot of the equipment they have.

Cons

The downside here are the employees. THEY ARE THE WORST. Especially one lady here who belittles, talks down, and blames everyone else for mistakes made at the warehouse but if there was mistakes made she expect it to get it fixed in a day. That’s just impossible. The short span I was here I saw a lot of people under her just never comeback and I don’t blame them! I guess they are fine with that cause she knows how to do almost everything. This was the most uncomfortable in a job in my life. The work environment is hostile and by that I mean cursing, throwing/grabbing items aggressively and loudly exclaiming about anything wrong being done. I don’t work with that and not many did either.

April 8, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry to hear your experience has not been positive. It’s important to us that our Central employees have a fulfilling and respectful working experience. Please know that we take your negative experience very seriously and are immediately looking into these claims. If you would like to speak to Human Resources, please send an email to recruiting@central.com and you will be put in touch with the appropriate person

7. COVID-19

"In a time of crisis they will screw you"

1.0

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Up until this last week I liked my job. It could be stressful but over all it wasn’t a bad place to work.

Cons

Your biggest question when job hunting from this moment on should be “how did you treat your employees during the Covid-19 crisis?”. CG&P did not go the extra mile for their employees. They cut hours to the bare minimum so we could “keep our health benefits” but since we still have to pay for those health benefits we are pretty much working for free. They tossed their hourly employees to the wolves.

March 25, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Central Garden & Pet deeply cares about each of our employees. Our priority during this unprecedented time remains the health and safety of our employees while we continue to work hard to fulfill our customers’ needs. Unfortunately, in some locations, we had to significantly adjust work schedules in accordance with the business needs as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. Our leadership teams have worked hard to implement creative schedules that would enable our employees to remain eligible for coverage under our health insurance programs. Our intent was to implement and offer schedules that will have the greatest positive impact on as many affected employees as possible during this difficult time. If you would like to discuss this situation in further detail, please contact our human resources department at recruiting@central.com.

8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Agent De Surface in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work independently. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Some long hours. Physical work in the heat

March 15, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback.

9. "It’s a great starting point"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

You meet a lot of great people and develop great relationships.

Cons

You will sell millions of dollars of product, but do not expect any kind of bonus, other than a “Good Job”.

March 15, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review - we continually look for ways to reward our employees. If you have suggestions on what we can do better, please talk with your manager or HR.

10. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working schedule will allow for 7 days

Cons

401k, working with box store employees can be a challenge, no compensation for mileage.

March 15, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments. Our Garden Merchandisers receive an additional per hour amount to cover their mileage. Please talk to your manager or HR for an explanation of the program.

Found 200 reviews