Central Garden & Pet "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Sep 11, 2019

4.1
Central Garden & Pet CEO Tim Cofer
Tim Cofer
Pros
  • "Great people and company culture(in 12 reviews)

• "The company is great for work life balance and generally a positive place to work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "upper management turned a blind eye to it(in 7 reviews)

• "No cons from my experience with Central(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall great company, and a great place to work"

Former Intern - Distribution Intern in Madison, GA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Hard working company that puts the customer first and works every day to continually improve. Great people and company culture!

Cons

No cons from my experience with Central.

Central Garden & Pet2019-09-11

"Merchandiser"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Great people, great job, hard working people

Cons

Not really any cons for Central

Central Garden & Pet2017-10-10
  3. "Great coworkers, professional environment, and amazing learning experience!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Management is friendly and approachable. Made me feel valued as an intern and gave me the right amount of projects to not feel overwhelmed. Great people, professional environment, always quick to help out if you need it. Enjoyed my time here and learned a tremendous amount.

Cons

No cons to share. Truly great company and work environment.

Central Garden & Pet2017-07-28

"Avoid working in Information Technology here"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some great people working here. The individuals working within each business line seem to really understand their business. Nice to be part of an organization that delivers commodity products that many people use.

Cons

To address some of the prior negative comments that have been made regarding specific individuals. The Corporate CFO has left the company (2015). The CEO is a personable individual and is a great cheerleader but needs to lead more. Corporate IT is considered purely an expense organization. There is no desire to drive the business forward using technology and business practices reflect such. This is a place for... one to let their IT careers die. Further, the IT Management is a good 'ole boy network. They don't trust their employees unless they can keep an eye on them. The CIO is a micro-manager, a yes-man to the business nor can he be trusted...while emphasizing one direction he may already be making plans to go another direction. While I gave an overall rating of 3 for the company, within IT I would only rate this company as...avoid.

Advice to Management

Really need to focus on accountability (requiring individuals to do what they say they are going to do and following up to ensure that they do it) and consistency in processes across the organization. You need to have a vision in something other than cutting costs. Develop a vision to drive the company forward. Communicate to the entire company this vision and enlist your employees in that vision. Use the ideas... from all the employees across the organization to help build the product pipeline.

Central Garden & Pet2015-09-25

"Import"

Import Administrative Assistant in Taunton, MA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

work with great people in team setting.

Cons

Constantly downsizing as they are very corporate and only look at numbers and not people in general.

Advice to Management

Before cutting people and departments look at the affect it will have on all other departments around the company

Central Garden & Pet2015-09-16

"Worked four years"

Merchandiser in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Great people. Very flexible. Able to create schedule around any issues you have. Etablished teams whom are very positive

Cons

Going in to on average 3 stores a day lifting fertilizer changer tiring but gives you a good workout. Having drama from Scott's

Advice to Management

Enjoy the flexibility and ability to make your employees happy. Happy employees equals productive employees which in turn nets in more profit

Central Garden & Pet2015-04-06

"Indecisive Upper Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

The people. There are some really great people at this company with many years of industry knowledge

Cons

Upper management can't pick a plan and stick to it. Moreover they cant execute any of their plans with any accuracy, integrity or clarity. They have 'great' ideas that they execute poorly and instead of fixing them properly they resort to band-aids and knee jerk reactions to fix problems.

Advice to Management

Stop doing things half baked. If you want to be a true CPG company then learn how to execute anything properly. It takes money to make money, so stop being cheap in the areas where the money is needed, and stop wasting money in other areas.

Central Garden & Pet2014-06-25

"I enjoy what I do at my company in spite of the challenges that exist"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people (overall), competent products, established image, multiple locations, strong brands, good team functionality for major 3 retailers

Cons

limited marketing budgets to go up against competitors, employees feel undervalued, not teleworking friendly, lacks communication between segments and clear pathways to move projects along the path (winding that it may be)

Advice to Management

start listening to the employees about what works and what doesn't - especially those that know their market segments

Central Garden & Pet2013-10-16

"Monarchial corporate structure"

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people who work here. Benefits are mediocre/less than mediocre but they are available. Great place to step your career into the right direction but only a stepping stone, no more than a year or two.

Cons

Not a positive work environment with no business plan, no core values, and no growth plan. The people who work here are really good people, but the management has 'ruled' in a way where no employee wants to make a decision. If one does make a decision and is wrong, they are basically shunned in front of the company. This didn't happen to me.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to make decisions to grow the company.

Central Garden & Pet2013-10-06

"Great people, bad management"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Central is filled with great people and decent work hours.

Cons

Senior management doesn't trust their employees which doesn't allow for lower level employees to develop the necessary skills to move up. Constant change within the organization causes low morale.

Advice to Management

Stop the internal presentations and work on growing the businesses.

Central Garden & Pet2013-09-02