KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Central Garden & Pet

Engaged Employer

Central Garden & Pet

Add a Review

Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 23, 2020

Found 12 of over 264 reviews

3.3
Central Garden & Pet CEO Tim Cofer
Tim Cofer
Pros
  • "You meet a lot of great people and develop great relationships(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is great for work life balance and generally a positive place to work(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "upper management not always engaged(in 9 reviews)

• "The work environment is hostile and by that I mean cursing, throwing/grabbing items aggressively and loudly exclaiming about anything wrong being done(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Race Ethnicity

This rating reflects the overall rating of Central Garden & Pet and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

CG&P Has It Figured Out!

Aug 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for other successful large organizations and have never experienced the level of job satisfaction I have with Central Garden and Pet. They really understand the value of their employees and their contribution to the organizations success. While reaching company goals are imperative and key to the growth of this company, flexibility and the promotion of family work place balance are promoted at every turn. Responsiveness and professionalism of the corporate Human Resource team is unmatched and the drive to improve company culture seems to be a focus of upper management.

Cons

Several business divisions in this company so consistency in processes can be challenging.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the great review! We are unique in that we have different business units that run separately but everyone has the same passion for pets and gardens!

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Inflexible, No Work/Life Balance, No Independence or Training

Aug 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great new CEO and President of CLS, promising pipeline of new products

Cons

Human Resources is untrustworthy - always has Upper Management's back - does not go to bat for employees. FMLA not approved. No remote work until COVID. Then it's proven that people can get their job done while not in the office. Lack of work life balance - most people do not have kids - Management has no concept of real life with family obligations & inflexible. Holds different personnel to different standards. Some first line managers are great and flexible. Others are not and play favorites. Expect you to be in chair during normal office hours but no flexibility for medical issues. They terminated someone who was going through chemotherapy for missed work. Toxic work environment. Different standards for different employees. Warned for making a joke but VP made same joke before and after. Lack of training - Thrown in the deep end and given no guidance by manager. Multiple wasted efforts on product development. High turnover in sales - Bonuses not given when those sales numbers are not met - Demotivating policy Lack of resources and support from upper management for essential business needs CEO and upper management reward themselves with special in-year bonus while rest do not get COLA or other basic annual increases Large gaps in salary between positions. CEO:avg employee salary is 100:1

Director of Talent Acquisition

We take all employee concerns and experiences very seriously and are immediately looking into these claims. At Central, our employees are our greatest asset and we are committed to creating a work environment and corporate policies that allow employees to do their best work while also taking care of their health and families. There are factual inaccuracies in this review, including the statement that an employee was let go while going through chemotherapy. I encourage you to reach out to Central Garden & Pet’s HR team with questions or concerns at recruiting@central.com

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The worst company I ever worked for.

Oct 23, 2020 - Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commute. Not much over time work.

Cons

The only reason people with skills and experience work there is for the short commute. Walnut Creek office is such a small office. The company became big by acquisitions. in the past several years. Therefore, those who are in upper management positions are "small company minded" people. Favoritism and gossiping are everywhere. You will be sick of it if you have a decent mind. People with skills are looking for a new job in their first year.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Your review is concerning and is not an accurate reflection of Central Garden & Pet. Central was built through acquisitions and we have teams of dedicated professionals working in over 100 locations throughout the country working toward a common goal. If you feel our environment is not a fit for you I encourage you to speak with Human Resources to discuss your concerns. You may also email us at recruiting@central.com to be connected with HR.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good Company - lots of layers

Sep 4, 2019 - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Hours and work life balance

Cons

company is separated by pet and garden upper management not always engaged lots of work with not a lot of time to complete

Director of Talent Acquisition

Yes, our company is made up of separate Garden and Pet businesses but we are all one team with a focus on doing the right thing.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Please be careful

Jun 25, 2019 - Sales & Administrative Support - Pet Distribution in Fairfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

M-F 8 to 5 pm

Cons

please be careful. I had been with this company longer then I should had. There is a lot of belittling and down talking from Upper Management. When issues arise and office wanted to fix it.... upper management turned a blind eye to it. swept it under the rug until it was to late.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We have taken steps to address the situation you are referencing. If you would like to talk to someone in Human Resources please send your contact information to recruiting@central.com.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work with Amazing People

Aug 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great upper management. Team/family environment. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Cons

They are still growing but that is also a pro!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review-we have some great people in Boise!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Strong company, fair, compeititive

Jan 28, 2015 - Acct Manager in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent sales support, recognition for work done well, performance bonuses, provided tools & support to do work, Great benefits; strong middle management who care about what goes on in real makretplace. Compensation is good, car allowance ok

Cons

Upper management needs to respond to conflicting marketing moves between distributor & retail markets when issues occur as it affects everyones business. Sales teams need to work alot of weekends to maintain market penetration.

Director of Talent Acquisition

The sales team is the face of Central in front of our customers. The work you do is very much appreciated!

8. 2.0
      Current Employee

Indecisive Upper Management

Jun 25, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people. There are some really great people at this company with many years of industry knowledge

Cons

Upper management can't pick a plan and stick to it. Moreover they cant execute any of their plans with any accuracy, integrity or clarity. They have 'great' ideas that they execute poorly and instead of fixing them properly they resort to band-aids and knee jerk reactions to fix problems.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

current

Jan 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people for the most part are great.

Cons

Upper management is very disconnected. when there's a problem, no one takes responsibility, they try and shift the blame. you spend a lot of time covering your butt - just in case! There are managers and V.P.s that are in charge of areas they know little or nothing about. Senior management is constantly letting people go, they speak value and ethics but they do not practice what they preach. Time to move on!!

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good people just going in the wrong direction

Feb 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are great and help you at all costs. Lots of team centered discussion and people trying to make you better

Cons

Upper management makes poor decisions. Lost a lot of good brands to their competition and in an industry like this that's a killer

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. We are always trying to improve and appreciate your honesty.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews