Central Market Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Kellie Witt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is generally open for help when you have an issue, but change is slow because of the emphasis on coaching when there is an issue (in 10 reviews)

• It takes a year to gain full time status with benefits (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very open minded company. Was flexible with my needs as a parent. Open and accepting of LGBT."

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Southlake, TX

I worked at Central Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, better than comparable jobs/companies. Benefits included free cooking class every month.

Cons

Prefer to promote from within, which is usually good. But I was hired on as just a retail worker even though I had years of decorating experience. They prefered to train someone that already worked for the company as the new decorator and hire me to take her old job, instead of just hiring someone that was already qualified for the position.

Advice to Management

Maybe have more regular sit downs with employees to ask about room for improvement.

"No clue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are good about time and attendance , you probably won't lose your job... so job security is pretty nice. Also, after you've been there for SEVERAL years, the raises start to add up ( they are percentage raises) . The flowers are really nice and very fairly priced.

Cons

Central Market pretends to care about quality, but actually only cares about price. Given 4 of the same type of product .... tahini?... if there is space for 2 brands... they will keep the 2 they can charge the most for regardless of quality. Even if the cheapest one is award winning, best tasting and highest selling... it will get tossed for the most expensive one every time.
    I can't speak for HEB as a whole, but Central Market seems to have no direction. It is a very disorganized, over reactionary and self protective place to work. Favoritism and nepotism are rampant... and in most departments, it seems there is a pervasive "us vs. them"atmosphere that management ignores. In the time I've been there, fewer and fewer people have been replaced when they've left and work load has risen exponentially. Some managers use doctor's notes as a way to punish you... ex: my kid had pneumonia, so I stayed home ONE day... but I was required to bring in a doctor's note to come back to work... which then sat in a drawer in the manager's desk until it was thrown away 6 months later. This is not policy... it is just what happens if you are not one of the favorites.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop worrying about "earning" bonuses, and worry about your partners. Unhappy employees don't care about the business, they don't perform well, and they will actively ruin your business. Pay attention to how YOU treat people. Why are your "favorites " your favorites? Is it because of their performance, or is it because of their skin tone? What about the people at the bottom of your list? Are they there for their performance or because the favorites don't like them? Pay attention to who owns mistakes and who always ALWAYS has someone or something to point at that is responsible for the mistake. That should tell you a lot about who should be trusted and who thinks stepping on people will make them look better instead of just doing a better job.

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to work at - very flexible hours and competitive pay for students.

Cons

Management at several locations is severely lacking. Various departments in store are not treated equally as others.

4. "Bulk Foods Associate"

I worked at Central Market part-time

Pros

Owned by HEB, which is a great company. You work with people who are very knowledgeable and passionate. Management encourages employees to open packages and try things. You definitely learn a lot about food and beverage. Customers are generally pretty nice.

Cons

Impossible to get a full-time position. Hours as a part-time employee vary greatly without notice. Very upsetting to work alongside full-time employees, doing the same task, but not receive the same benefits. It's still retail.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for hard working, dedicated employees to get a full-time position.

5. "Mid management"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people decent wages decent benefits.

Cons

If you go into management the job will become your life. Without a business degree you will be working 50 to 70 hour weeks the rest of your life.

Advice to Management

When your job consumes you it's time to set boundaries.

6. "Bakery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Central Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and company culture

Cons

Too much workload for the pay, schedule changes constantly, severely understaffed

7. "Decent company, not always good at making sure stores follow the rules"

I worked at Central Market part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, mostly good coworkers

Cons

Poor pay, hard to get the hours you want, many poor managers

Advice to Management

Make sure your "trained" managers are really doing their job. You put too much effort into "training" to have churned out so many awful managers. The location I was at was just starting to get better when we got a good manager in. But he was stymied by the poor management above him.

8. "Great"

Former Employee - Coffee Bar Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Coffee Bar Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Central Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good work, good hours, good bosses. Enjoyed my time there. Very good constructive work environment.

Cons

None really, sometimes the customers can be a pain, but that's too be expected at any work place that deals with people

Advice to Management

None

9. "Sales Rep"

I have been working at Central Market full-time

Pros

Great working environment and knowledge to acquire from others.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, given the amount of duties/responsibilites.

10. "Best Retail Food Grocer EVER"

Current Employee - Scratch Baker in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Scratch Baker in Plano, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice salaries. Best in the business.
    Awesome Culture.
    Great benefits. Stock and the best employer contribution to 401K I have ever seen.
    The actual products are amazing and trying to sell them is a piece of cake.
    Advancement is a given.

Cons

None. I love my co-workers. I love my boss. I love what I do.