Central Park Conservancy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Douglas Blonsky

1. "A great organization to work with"

I have been working at Central Park Conservancy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very dedicated team all around. Lot's of opportunity. This organization likes to promote from within and bring in talented people from the outside. The staff is innovative and creative, always looking for a better way. Fair compensation, Good benefits, fair and honest feedback. Most important: the organization actually cares about the employees. I enjoy working with The Central Park Conservancy.

Cons

It's not really a con but the park is an inherently challenging place to work.
    That's just part of the job. It's definitely not boring.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It's working. Thanks.

2. "Great, stable organization"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Central Park Conservancy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My decade as a CPC employee has been and continues to be gratifying. My colleagues are talented and passionate about the Park and CPC’s mission. The organization offers excellent benefits and ample opportunity for growth and advancement. Senior management is committed to investing in staff, innovating and improving the organization, and has a clear and ambitious vision for the Park that focuses our work and inspires the team.

Cons

Communication can be challenging given the dispersion of staff through different offices/ areas of the Park.

3. "I like working here."

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Central Park Conservancy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, we are encouraged to get out into the Park during our work days, I like my coworkers. I’ve worked at the Conservancy for over a year and have had a positive experience. As a new employee, there is a lot to learn, but the staff is made up of really nice people who genuinely care about making the park and the city better. From what I’ve observed, the senior managers are focused on the future of the Conservancy and the people that work here. Our benefits are great, especially the retirement plan. Overall, I like working here and I like the people I work with. The Conservancy has done a lot to make Central Park what it is today and I really like being a part of that mission.

Cons

Challenging to connect office and field staff. By nature of our jobs, there aren’t a lot of opportunities for us to interact and get to know each other.

"Ok place to work"

I have been working at Central Park Conservancy full-time

Pros

The benefits are about it.

Cons

No employee respect, poor work ethic, not a natural park to no real natural plant care.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee and don't hold grievances over their head

Central Park Conservancy Response

Mar 17, 2017 – President

I'm glad that you appreciate our benefits. They have been shaped and improved over the years by employee need, use, and feedback. More importantly, it matters to me that you feel disrespected and ... More

"Major disconnect between executives and staff"

I worked at Central Park Conservancy full-time

Pros

Benefits. Location. Natural space in a cityscape.

Cons

The last year I worked here, 2016, morale was really low. Seems like management tries to compensate for this but is doing it the wrong way. Can't just be surveys. There is a real disconnect between the office staff/execs and field staff who actually maintain the park. They make attempts at bridging the gap with social functions that feel like they only exist because they need to bridge the gaps. No more than that. Donors are better taken care of than the staff who maintain the park.

The president is out of touch with reality. While he makes close to 800k/year new operations and visitor services employees start in the 30k/year range, a barely liveable wage. And when staff gets appreciation parties with free food there are known senior managers who come around, even if their presence doesn't make sense, to eat the food meant for the hardworking staff. That is a disgrace. You know who you are... you're embarrassing yourself, just stop it.

Advice to Management

If you really want to show appreciation for the staff, show them the money, stop coming to parties to eat their thank-you-food, and start providing benefits that can improve your staff's quality of life both in and outside of the park.

Central Park Conservancy Response

Mar 17, 2017 – President

Thank you for your comments and for your work at the Conservancy. Feedback like yours is valuable in sustaining and improving our organization, which we’re always focused on. We have made a number of ... More

"Zone Gardener"

Former Employee - Zone Gardener
    Former Employee - Zone Gardener

I worked at Central Park Conservancy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work outside.

Cons

Upper management, middle management, low pay, very depressing work atmosphere

Advice to Management

Take professional development classes

"Just don't"

I worked at Central Park Conservancy full-time

Pros

This gorgeous park has a flawed system plague (to start with) with poor communication. The park is the only pro.

Cons

Upper management are completely unaware of what is going on day to day. Incompetent management creates too many lazy workers who are taking advantage of this. However, the bar to work here is set so low that I'm not sure I blame the employees. If you have any desire to grow in your field, go elsewhere. This is a retirement village and too painful to watch.

"Very corporate vibe"

I worked at Central Park Conservancy full-time

Pros

Some great people working in the org

Cons

Management operates in silos, not a collaborative environment, despite being a non profit is run with the coolness of a corporation,

Advice to Management

Realize that your organization is about the people who work in it, not just the socialites who fund it.

"Mentally Exhausting"

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Central Park Conservancy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Central Park is beautiful, and my co-workers were generous and kind, for the most part. Benefits were fine.

Cons

One of the biggest problems that I faced was a lack of transparency. My work felt very controlled by donor interests rather than a clear mission. Work would stop on a project and then leap forward with no explanation. While I personally had a lot of freedom, I worked closely with people who were so heavily monitored that their attitudes - understandably - became toxic. The atmosphere amongst gardeners and other field staff was characterized by negativity, depression, and mistrust. It was a relief to leave work every day.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to assess where you want the organization to go, and honestly look at where it is headed. Commit to a set of goals and don't bend to the whim of every single donor. Be loyal to your employees. They're loyal to you - or they try to be. When they are constantly reprimanded and given menial tasks it is difficult to engender the love and care for the park that you are looking for. Make kindness and decency key values in the organization. Finally, spread that pay scale out and make sure it's fair!

"Not awful but definitely not great"

Pros

Most employees are generally enthusiastic about the park

Cons

A lot of red tape, low wages, awful hours/schedule