Central Refrigerated Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

"So-So!!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

im getting my cdl.the instructors are great so far.

Cons

ive been lied too,food stolen by other students,instead of pay by the week its by the hour.the right hand dosent know what the left is doing.

Advice to Management

go thru your own school and become a driver and find out!!!!!!!!

"Owner/Operator driver Trainer"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a good company to get experience, but not known for paying their drivers that well.

Cons

Swift being the parent company

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat their employees. They try to nickel and dime their drivers to death.

"Central Opportunity???"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, I could not give a good consideration to the company. The training was adequate but it did not give understanding of what was to come from the office staff.

Cons

basically for the first few months you do well, then you completely fall off the grid as an individual and can not get home for appointments because are no where near that location even with the 2+ week notice they require...

"My answer to COO Richard Stocking; Yes, we are too big."

Current Employee - Operations Office Staff in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Office Staff in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is close to home, immediate-office staff is awesome.

Cons

This list is going to be long-

-Swift has taken away many of our capabilities to do our jobs efficiently. As a result, drivers are more angry than ever. We no longer have the capability to accurately predict how much freight we need for the amount of trucks coming into the areas. We no longer have the capability to quickly and accurately find trailers for the drivers.

-Perhaps the most frustrating is Swift's gigantic bureaucracy that has a nasty habit of 'passing the buck' to another vague department that no one knows the true purpose of.

-Swift has proven time and again that they do not understand specialty freight, and no one is listening when we express our concerns. For example, when we first merged over we requested a macro to be created for yard checks so we could monitor fuel and temperature levels. Swift promptly denied us saying that the requested macro was 'not necessary for the business'. In the past few months we've paid several hundred thousand in OS&D claims due to trailers running out of fuel and spoiling freight. Still, no one listens.

-From a planning standpoint, Swift's grading system makes no sense. The planner scorecards do not care about deadhead mileage. They only score on how often planners use the computer's recommendations to match trucks with loads. This is a system that can be manipulated to show flawless performance. The recommendation system only gives a mere 500 miles per day to most teams, requiring the planners to manually plan on an ANCIENT system to get drivers the miles to pay their bills.

-We've had several office staff hospitalized from the stress since we were merged. And I do mean several.

-Swift and their COO Richard Stocking require us to attend something called 'Swift University'. This has got to be the biggest waste of company money I have EVER seen. I was required to attend online classes for what was called a 'leadership training'. One of the courses was, literally, a documentary about the Secretariat-the race horse. With nothing at the end to translate it to how it helped me become a leader. The next video was a montage of inspirational speeches from sports movies. Swift has several thousand office staff that were required to take this course. Assuming everyone makes $10-$18 an hour, and that everyone spent the three hours taking this course, Swift spent an estimated $90,000-$162,000 to show it's office workers a documentary about a racehorse.

-AS400 is ancient. SO ancient. It was written in 1988. The mouse was invented in 1992. The outdated computer system requires exponentially more keystrokes than any other system in the industry. Several office staff have reported severe pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome.

-Drivers aren't making money. They are being VERY nasty to the office staff. There's only so much we can do when our hands have been zip-tied behind our backs and we're forced to bob for apples to get our basic duties done. We're doing three times the footwork and only capable of accomplishing 25-50% of what we were doing before. We've had to hire more office staff to keep up with the demand, and we're still struggling to push our numbers up to what they were before the merger.

-Benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. Insurance refuses to pay a dime till the deductible has been hit. There are much better insurance plans out there people. Don't be disillusioned thinking that Swift has a good insurance plan. It's only useful if you have a catastrophic accident. In the mean time you'll have to pay a fortune to maintain your good health.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your computer program and layoff half of your office staff. It's as simple as that. Let people with real skill make your company and drivers money. Trim the fat.

"Gone to Crap"

Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Well. None really. SO many other companies to work for. You have to trust us on this. The recruiters will be dishonest.

Cons

Since Swift took over you receive threatning messages on Quacomm like if you speed you will be terminated or having an unauthorized passenger you will be terminated. Miles has dropped off.

Advice to Management

Better stop worrying about hiring and concentrate on keeping the ones already working. Ive never seen so many empty tractors sitting in yards. Trainees with trainers not getting miles and quiting before upgrade because they can already see future.

"Sorry I took the job"

Former Employee - Driver in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Lying Cheating back stabbing jerks

Advice to Management

Don't lie and keep your promises

7. "not a job for a black man o/o make all the real money and miles"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Conley, GA

Pros

none u dont make money at all

Cons

see the country great job if ur out for fin

Advice to Management

treat every body the same

8. "leasing agent"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in West Valley City, UT

Pros

getting to work with people one on one.

Cons

there is really nothing to dislike about the company, it is going thru some major changes and the culture of the business is being changed and not for the better.

9. "A god place to start as a experienced or student driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I receive good mileage per week

Cons

I'm away from home 4-5 weeks at a time. I have small children that I want to be a part of there lives.

Advice to Management

Allow your drivers to come home more often and also allow them time home

10. "dedicated conagra frozen fleet driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Pasco, WA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Pasco, WA

Pros

great people to work with seems they want their drivers to be successful.

Cons

they push Lease Op a lot this is new account but they want to run it like OTR when it is local operation.

Advice to Management

let your local managers run the office with out your input on non capital projects like having a reefer tech on staff, ordering parts without your approval allowing shop managers to make local connections with out going through your parts service in salt lake. let them get charge accounts with local vendors to make equipment repairs go smoothly and turn around a lot faster. stop calling lease operators owner ops unless you plan to give the lessor a title after completion of lease.