Central Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Susan Ryan

"clerk ? I forgot"

Former Employee - Clerk in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Clerk in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Central Semiconductor (Less than a year)

Pros

You leave early on Fridays throughout the year.

Cons

Managment. My direct supervisor was their 10 years as of 2006, and he would constantly talk negatively about the family who ran the business & i would talk negatively about 90% of the people who worked there. He would try to turn me against management yet he would come in a half an hour early each day and not clock in thus working for free. This same Supervisor would watch who would be sitting in their cars 15 minutes before they were scheduled & criticized them to me for not coming in and working early (no pay ) lol. Not a comfortable work environment. They would make you put together these 'kits' that consisted of tediously getting together tiny parts such as diodes, which resembled each other and we're confusing to assemble,to which there was no charge to the customer.

Advice to Management

Less micro management. Maybe the family needs to stay in their offices more.

"The Company needs a change of pace."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Central Semiconductor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Shorter days on Friday of each work week.

Cons

Communication among team members is discouraged. Moral is very low and the negative aspects of situations are generally focused on. This is a family run business and the direction of the company is unclear with the owner in his 80’s. Managers continually complain of being micromanaged by family members.

Advice to Management

Be honest and more positive. Communicate honestly with employees and focus on success rather than failure. Establish a direction for the company and communicate expectations to employees to help foster teamwork.

"Good job but has some culture downsides"

Pros

The company have a very generous time off policy but you take most of that time during designated times. For a small company the feeling is very corporate. Expectations are high and force you to achieve to your fullest potential. Traning is encouraged to grow in your profession.

Cons

Office culture can be somewhat dissapointing. Some areas can be downright poisonous due to lack of leadership in those areas.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better form of assesment for the management, perhaps an managerial assesment from managers direct reports. There seems to be a disconnect with some managers and their direct reports.

"Anonymous"

Pros

Not many to speak of.

Cons

The problem with this company is the upper management. They have no idea how to run the company. Instead of praising employees when needed, they micromanage anything and everything resulting in negativity. The HR department is also terrible. They hardly ever support the employees when needed. A lot of turnover also.

Advice to Management

Take advice from members and treat them like humans not robots.

"The Land of Misfits"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Central Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned how to properly wash my hands.

Cons

Tech company being run by nontechnical owners. Father started company but children now . Neither has any technical degrees or training. Not sure if they even have a college degree. And they are extremely paranoid - they have their IT dept reading everyone's emails (and think no-one knows it), go thru our trash cans looking for intel and lock trash cans outside because they believe there are dumpster divers out to get them. Finally bringing in some competent outside help except with sales. Owners have new sales group who has convinced them to drink the koolaid. They've let go of the trained sales staff that made them all their money and sales are now plummeting. You would think they'd eventually realize how they are being manipulated. Everyone else already has. The brother/owner spends all day walking the halls blaming everyone for his incompetence. His sister/president/owner never leaves her office and spends the majority of her time proof reading documents - changing commas to semicolons instead of leading the company as it's president. Lots of potential for this company but no leadership by owners. Brought in outside help but they're not allowed to make any critical changes. More interested in their silly AKA system of calling staff by code names rather than putting together detailed plans on how to increase sales and margins. This place is right out if the 70's right down to requiring all men in management to wear ties and sign time cards. Two minutes late and you need to provide an explanation or not get paid. Feels more like an elementary school than a high tech company. The owners have their hearts in the right place but they are in way over their heads.

Advice to Management

Either sell the company while it's still profitable or allow someone with a tech background and executive experience to come in and run it for you.

"Welcome to Hell."

Pros

The friendships I made here were lifelong. The bonding we did while working in such a professionally absent place was like no other.

Cons

Central Semiconductor was the worst place on the planet to work for. The upper management would rather point out every fault, rather than lift the employees up for their accomplishments. The micromanaging was quite frustrating as well. I actually had a manger stand behind my cubicle and watch me work. It felt very odd and stifling. The management I dealt with was quite chauvinistic and very difficult to work with. They do not encourage change or the contribution of ideas.

Advice to Management

Spend more time fostering a positive, optimistic work environment. And less time discouraging employee morale.