Central States Manufacturing, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Donna Leger

1. "Tough place to work"

Current Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and good stock options. Those are the only positives. Always a reason for cake and ice cream no matter what happens in the plant

Cons

Long hours, always on call and always expected to come in on days off. Lots of meetings and unrealistic goals.

Advice to Management

Pay attention

2. "The worst driving job every"

Current Employee - Route Drive in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Route Drive in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee is drinkable and the customers are generally easy to deal with.

Cons

Everyone has a chip on their shoulder, no appreciation for a job well done, expected to work more time then is legal. Expected to break you neck to make a delivery appt.

Advice to Management

Need to be a little more involved.

3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsville, KY

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, hard working employees focused on customer satisfaction. This company promptes from within giving opportunity without traditional schooling.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunity with out moving. Long hours at times to meet product demands if you are working in the production department.

4. "Territory Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - TSA in Jasper, AL
    Former Employee - TSA in Jasper, AL

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Company stock if they keep you around long enough to see it

Cons

The company preaches their vales , which no one upholds. Management will act like they are on your side but at the end of the day all they care about are there self. Everything is unorganized ! Worst company I have ever worked for ! Management never has consequences for their actions. Everything will always fall back on you. They will underpay you. The temps make more money than the full time employees. You will be training someone who makes more money per hour than you. If you are a woman expect to be underpaid drastically, and you definitely can't bring it to their attention or they will fire you . Turnover is awful!

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly !

"Central States Mfg. blows hot air up your"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, SD

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had almost 3 months of work there but the supervisor was really full of crap from the start.

Cons

Very unsafe work environment. The rush to get things done got a few guys fingers smashed in the benders, etc. . The management "team" makes a lot of mistakes and blames it on everyone else. The Employee Stock Option Plan looks like a scam - very shifty and the original owners still have to be paid back. It will take about 30 years or more to get to the level of "ownership" they are trying to sell us.

Advice to Management

Replace 100% of the management except GM Mr.. Yazoo whom might be actually trying to do the right thing - once a month if needed. It is obvious what is going on. More security cameras with audio might help if you're really so out of touch with what is going on there.

"CSMI"

Current Employee - Executive in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Executive in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Faith based employer. High ethical standards. Strong values and culture.

Cons

Not everyone will fit within this culture. Performance is key.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Michigan City, IN

Pros

Esop has a good payout. The real employees, meaning non management, really do have eachothers backs in this organization, however many are terminated upon expressing concerns with the rampant managerial abuses associated with this company.

Cons

Toxic sales management. Witch hunts. Leadership through fear and intimidation techniques. Bully management. Little to no chance at promotion. Sexual harassment.

Advice to Management

Lead from the front, instead of barking orders from the rear. Management could not be more out of touch with the pulse of this company.

"No Honesty, No Integrity, No Accountability"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jasper, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jasper, AL

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefit package was acceptable.

Cons

This review is for Metal Central, the retail side of Central States Mfg. in Jasper, AL.

Management is extremely ignorant of market conditions in the Jasper territory. There are both distributors (wholesale customers) and retail (Contractors and homeowners) in the territory. Metal Central is required to compete against both distributors and contractors for new business. This creates a lot of friction and poor customer relations. Distributors complain that Metal Central sells directly to its contractors and homeowners that buy from them and contractors complain that Metal Central will sell directly to the homeowner for the same price it will sell them (contractors). There is no loyalty to volume customers. . Management felt that they were the only game in town so they did not have to deliver on superior service and support.

Communication in the plant and between the plant and Metal Central is horrible. Breakdowns and shortages never get communicated to Metal Central. Customers showed up to get their orders only to be told it wasn't ready. Customers have had to wait as long as 4 hours to load their orders. The commitment from Central States is get your order in by 3pm, pick it up after 7am. We were continually apologizing to our customers for issues beyond our control. Management at Central States had no interest in supporting the customer service commitment with contractors of Metal Central.

There is no innovation in Central States. To survive in retail, new products and improved methods of delivery are critical. There was no interest or support for any type of innovation.

Don't expect any training, coaching, strategic meetings, tactical instruction, or support in any way. Management is inept at forecasting, planning, analysis, or anything else to do with retail. They may be distribution czars but they are retail dipsticks.

I watched Central States, in just the short time I was there, move from a relationship company to a transaction company. Everything is about the almighty dollar. In their Mission Statement, they say they are dedicated to the personal growth and well-being of each team member. Not so! I've watched them humiliate good employees over senseless, petty acts. I've watched supervisors throw employees under the bus for personal gain or at least their unwillingness to stand up for their employees. Further, in their Mission Statement, Central States promises to maintain total honesty and integrity with everyone their lives may touch. I tell you, Carl Carpenter is turning over in his grave. They have no honesty or integrity in my opinion.

In summary, if you are looking for a short term J.O.B., where you can experience humiliation, embarrassment, no support, no innovation, and no chance for success, this may be the perfect job for you.

Advice to Management

New blood brings new life

"Fast paced and intense"

Current Employee - Panel Line in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Panel Line in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More than competitive pay, full benefits that are dirt cheap. Probably the best medical insurance I have ever had. Immediate management is easily accessible and open.
    Management is always pushing us to advance and help open up doors if we show the motivation. You'll learn all kinds of spanish,

Cons

2nd shift is completely awful for anyone with a family or zeal for life, expect 12 hour days 3-4 days a week. 55+ hours a week is hard on a family. You can get thrown to the side rather quickly if you are not a fast learner...primarily in loading.

Panel line is hard tough work but very rewarding and staffed with an awesome group of guys!

Advice to Management

Maybe stop the temp cycle on 2nd shift, dont keep a temp for 90 days just to replace them. If they dont produce replace them at 30 days, that way they dont have false hopes of getting hired.

"Ramant discrimination and 85% turnover in this organization"

Current Employee - Sales in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Sales in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. My favorite day with Central States will be when I tender my resignation

Cons

Discrimination. Workplace harassment, sexual and racial. Whistles blowers are swiftly and indiscriminately terminated. People have left this company suicidal due to the ammount of harassment and lack of quality of life. This could be the most toxic workplace that I have ever encountered. Labor Dept. is alaways investigating Central States for violation.

Advice to Management

Key VP's in this company will need to be removed fromdealing with live people before any changes will happen. Most specific in sales.