Central Valley Autism Project Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "behavior interventionist"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist II in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist II in Modesto, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for CVAP some time ago; until this day CVAP was one of the best jobs I've ever had. The experience and knowledge I gained was incredible; and still use it today in my current field of employment (not ABA related). I often think about the children and families I worked with, and I am forever grateful that I worked there for as long as I did.

Cons

The pay is very bad for the amount & type of job that this is. These are kiddos who need you to give it your all on a day to day basis. Unfortunately the pay isn't great if you depend on a single income.

Advice to Management

From my experience it would be to be open to your BIs feedback; more often than not, they actually know the client better than you. Yeah, you wrote the bx plan, but they're the ones who have to implement it.

"Quality Services for ASD and Exceptional Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

CVAP provides high quality services for individuals with ASD and opportunities to develop and grow skills in all positions. Staff are supported by their designated primary supervisors and additional supervisory staff. CVAP invests in their staff by providing training, clear expectations, frequent on site supervision, and ongoing professional development outside of initial training. CVAP values staff professional growth and has their own quality BCBA preparatory program for eligible staff seeking trainee hours for the BCBA certification. Parent training is highly emphasized within treatment programs, as the research strongly supports family involvement for promoting generalization and independence of skills during non-intervention hours. CVAP is progressive in their research efforts by modeling the vigor and dedication of the late Dr. Lovaas. They have published research which supports the efficacy of their EIBT treatment along with additional studies in progress. CVAP is a longstanding provider in our community due to the high standards for quality of care.

Cons

Standards for staff performance may be perceived as high by some, but they are needed for high quality behavioral intervention services. We provide medically necessary treatment and implement quality control measures to ensure our clients receive the best care!

Advice to Management

Continue to support your staff in growth opportunities within the organization. Great work so far!

"Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

The ability to make a difference in a child's life is amazing! To see a child learn and grow is the most rewarding experience there is in life. To see a child connect with their family and peers makes the challenges worth it.

Cons

Consistent feedback is given. This can be hard, especially if you are putting your all into it. Learning to receive constructive feedback is a must to succeed in this line of work.

Advice to Management

Ensure staff know the challenges of the business so they better understand the limits and abilities the company has.

"Interventionist II"

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

A job that really allows you to do some good in a kids life. Some great co-workers.

Cons

For employees you were more likely to get written up for something that was insignificant than be praised for the positive work you were doing.

Advice to Management

Be more reinforcing of your workers, might help with the turn over rate.

"It's become a place that feels like jail cells for children. No room to run or play. They are children above all."

Former Employee - ABA Tutor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Tutor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for those straight out of college and need a temporary job. Great learning experience but doesn't benefit the children as they quit once they are trained.

Cons

It's a terrible environment for children especially if they are on the spectrum and they cannot express in words about their frustrations. Terrible management!

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy and start paying more attention to the children (your patients). Bring some color to the environment. Have room for children to play around, bring in plants, and START paying your employees decent salaries so they don't quit. To upper management and case managers: REMEMBER they are children/kids/toddlers so treat them as such and don't be harsh on them. Treat the children as if they are your own.

"BI 1"

Former Employee - BI in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - BI in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, fun working with kids

Cons

Ridiculously low pay, short lunch time, diaper changing and wipe. Hell to the nahhh

Advice to Management

Give us an hour lunch. Don't rush the trainees with the material (it's a lot) and expect us to know everything after those two days of training

"Shady Shady Shady Shady Shady"

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

Working with kiddos on the autism spectrum is one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

They cut corners and, most dishearteningly, they do not put the needs of their kiddos first. Countless times I was [we were] asked ways in which they could make changes to improve the company and services they provide only to have none of our recommendations followed. Their priority is in making a profit, NOT providing the best services regardless of effort required to do so. Also, the employee turnover rate is incredibly high.

"Just not enough money"

Former Employee - Senior BI II in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior BI II in Stockton, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be fun.

Cons

It's simply just not enough money for the workload. A lot of quality employees leave for better jobs. Most of the employees still there don't know what their doing or just don't care.

Advice to Management

The benefits aren't very good, you only give the minimum sick time that you have to by law and the job is stressful. Yet you expect your employees to show up every day and give 110%.

"Low Pay and Extremely High Expectations for Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Pros

I would only recommend it if you are starting out in the field, and do not have much experience. It is fun to work with the children. It is a good job for college students who are wanting to enter the field of Behavior Analysis, who are willing to start out at a very low pay rate.

Cons

The pay is low, and employees are expected to learn a great deal of information in a very short amount of time. I would not recommend leaving a good job to work for CVAP, as trainees who do not score 90% on their second evaluation (after about two weeks) are immediately terminated . In my experience, the information given by trainers was contradictory to how evaluators rate employees. Evaluators can be hired from other companies, and have not necessarily completed the same training that is expected of Behavior Interventionists at CVAP. They do not have knowledge of what has been taught by trainers at CVAP. The dress code seems excessive. Even though I knew that I was dressed appropriately, the evaluator assumed that what I was wearing would give me trouble. I was wearing two shirts, with the one underneath tucked in, so that my skin would not show. The evaluator marked me down because the outer shirt was not super long, and "could come up and show my back".

Advice to Management

Management need to be more aware of what trainees are taught, versus what is expected by evaluators.

10. "Loved the work, not the management"

Pros

The actual job is rewarding, the parents are really appreciative. You get a ton of experience in different environments. Training is hands on so you'll quickly find out if this is the job for you.

Cons

High turnover, and mileage reimbursement is a hassle. Scheduling changes or cancelations can be stressful if you need the hours to keep your benefits. Your hours aren't guaranteed because there are a limited amount of floaters. HR isn't necessarily helpful when you need something, I was told conflicting information several times. It's a suffocating work environment especially when people gossip in the break room. It's hard to be optimistic when it seems like some of the supervisors don't want to be there.

Advice to Management

Writing instructions in the logbook and threatening to give infractions is impersonal and doesn't motivate your staff. Infractions feel demoralizing when the rules are not clear or always followed. Respect your staff and interact with them. When you switch the staff for an at home client explain why to the parent yourself. We hear the parents complain and when you don't listen to our suggestions we're put in an awkward situation. The child should come first, it comes across as a business when getting the hours is the bottom line.