Central Valley Autism Project Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great opportunity"

Pros

Staff provide a quality intervention for all ages. There are many career opportunities for growth and advancement. Supervisors really care for the staff they work with and valuable their contribution to each team.

Cons

There are no downsides to working in this job as long as you understand it is a job that requires patience, enthusiasm, and always a willingness to learn more. He will receive a lot of constructive feedback, but with the right attitude, this will make you even better.

Advice to Management

Continue the great collaboration with your staff! People feel valued when they see that the company acknowledges them for their input. Keep up the great work!

2. "BI 1"

Former Employee - BI in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - BI in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, fun working with kids

Cons

Ridiculously low pay, short lunch time, diaper changing and wipe. Hell to the nahhh

Advice to Management

Give us an hour lunch. Don't rush the trainees with the material (it's a lot) and expect us to know everything after those two days of training

3. "Shady Shady Shady Shady Shady"

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

Working with kiddos on the autism spectrum is one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

They cut corners and, most dishearteningly, they do not put the needs of their kiddos first. Countless times I was [we were] asked ways in which they could make changes to improve the company and services they provide only to have none of our recommendations followed. Their priority is in making a profit, NOT providing the best services regardless of effort required to do so. Also, the employee turnover rate is incredibly high.

"Just not enough money"

Former Employee - Senior BI II in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior BI II in Stockton, CA

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be fun.

Cons

It's simply just not enough money for the workload. A lot of quality employees leave for better jobs. Most of the employees still there don't know what their doing or just don't care.

Advice to Management

The benefits aren't very good, you only give the minimum sick time that you have to by law and the job is stressful. Yet you expect your employees to show up every day and give 110%.

"Low Pay and Extremely High Expectations for Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Pros

I would only recommend it if you are starting out in the field, and do not have much experience. It is fun to work with the children. It is a good job for college students who are wanting to enter the field of Behavior Analysis, who are willing to start out at a very low pay rate.

Cons

The pay is low, and employees are expected to learn a great deal of information in a very short amount of time. I would not recommend leaving a good job to work for CVAP, as trainees who do not score 90% on their second evaluation (after about two weeks) are immediately terminated . In my experience, the information given by trainers was contradictory to how evaluators rate employees. Evaluators can be hired from other companies, and have not necessarily completed the same training that is expected of Behavior Interventionists at CVAP. They do not have knowledge of what has been taught by trainers at CVAP. The dress code seems excessive. Even though I knew that I was dressed appropriately, the evaluator assumed that what I was wearing would give me trouble. I was wearing two shirts, with the one underneath tucked in, so that my skin would not show. The evaluator marked me down because the outer shirt was not super long, and "could come up and show my back".

Advice to Management

Management need to be more aware of what trainees are taught, versus what is expected by evaluators.

7. "Loved the work, not the management"

Pros

The actual job is rewarding, the parents are really appreciative. You get a ton of experience in different environments. Training is hands on so you'll quickly find out if this is the job for you.

Cons

High turnover, and mileage reimbursement is a hassle. Scheduling changes or cancelations can be stressful if you need the hours to keep your benefits. Your hours aren't guaranteed because there are a limited amount of floaters. HR isn't necessarily helpful when you need something, I was told conflicting information several times. It's a suffocating work environment especially when people gossip in the break room. It's hard to be optimistic when it seems like some of the supervisors don't want to be there.

Advice to Management

Writing instructions in the logbook and threatening to give infractions is impersonal and doesn't motivate your staff. Infractions feel demoralizing when the rules are not clear or always followed. Respect your staff and interact with them. When you switch the staff for an at home client explain why to the parent yourself. We hear the parents complain and when you don't listen to our suggestions we're put in an awkward situation. The child should come first, it comes across as a business when getting the hours is the bottom line.

"Behavior Interventionist"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a very rewarding job seeing your hard work pay off when a child speaks his or her first words.

Cons

Horrible attendance policies, extremely difficult to take days off, some supervisors are not open to suggestions from employees, very low pay for the type of work we do

Advice to Management

Needs to be much more organized, for scheduling to notify the BIs when shifts get changed or cancelled

"Overworked underpaid and unappreciated"

Current Employee - Senior Behavior Interventionist in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Behavior Interventionist in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Central Valley Autism Project full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the actual job in itself. The job is super fun and working with children is really rewarding. It is the most amazing feeling in the world when a child speaks his/her first words because of you.

Cons

The pay is very low for what is expected of you. The attendance policy is atrocious, and the supervisors actually punish you for taking days off. supervisors give infractions for something petty right after taking a vacation or a sick day. Numerous employees feel this way, especially us that have been there a while. Management shows no respect for the employees, at one point they made us turn in our phones before a shift. They constantly change our shifts without letting us know & they schedule us on Saturdays without warning. My biggest complaint is that they can't keep quality employees because of this, the whole HR & scheduling department is a mess. Employees are jumping ship left & right. I would steer clear from this place if I were you unless you just want the experience.

Advice to Management

This is a stressful job, and your employees are grossly underpaid. So sending out infractions for petty reasons just demoralizes your employees and creates an environment for a revolving door.

"Behavior Interventionist I Paraprofessional"

I have been working at Central Valley Autism Project full-time

Pros

Learn a lot of hands on techniques with children who have autism.

Cons

Not enough support, suffocating work environment, over critical staff (cannot talk at work, at all), and not enough reimbursement for getting beaten and not being able to interact with anyone while working. Hours get cut all of the time and they don't make sure you have enough hours to keep your benefits. No respect or appreciation for staff.

Advice to Management

Have a little bit more genuine happiness in environment as well as team building experiences. Also, more appreciation for what staff does on the daily while barely being able to pay their rent or car payment.

11. "Working as a BI II"

I worked at Central Valley Autism Project part-time

Pros

Rewarding work, good learning opportunity

Cons

Low pay for work, bad attendance policy, hard to move up