Centric Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work life balance is a real thing (in 31 reviews)

• It's truly liberating to be part of a team that is committed to providing an unmatched experience for clients and employees on a daily basis (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is below industry averages, but the work life balance and culture make up for it to a degree (in 7 reviews)

• Communication across individual business units could be better (in 12 reviews)

1. "Keep Your Entrepreneurial Spirit Alive"

Current Employee - Marketing in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Miami, FL

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here’s what I love most about working at Centric: I can be creative and try new things. It's quite refreshing to work at a company where leaders actually encourage you to brainstorm and implement new ideas.

As if that's not good enough, I get to work with people across the country who have diverse, unique personal and professional experiences. For someone who loves to learn, nothing beats learning from your colleagues.

As a bonus: I get to do what I love! I also get to set my own schedule and processes to get things done. What's not to love about that?

Cons

This is a great place to work for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit. People who can get up in the morning and set their own timeline. People who don't need to be told what to do because they know what to do. Self-starters succeed here!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in promoting a healthy work-life balance, listening to our viewpoints, and encouraging us to offer fresh perspectives!

2. "The Best Thing I Could Have Ever Stumbled Into"

Current Employee - Technology Administrator in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Technology Administrator in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being fresh out of college, I am extremely lucky and grateful that I was able to find a position at Centric. Starting as an intern during my last semester, I showed my worth to the company and they brought me back into the Shared Services BU after I graduated.

A lot of companies say they strive to have a work-life balance. Centric puts those words into practice. My managers and other co-workers actually care about what's going on in my life and encourage me to take time for myself if I need it. Everyone I've met at the company and in my office is just a flat out amazing person; I have yet to meet someone who I don't see as a friend.

Cons

Every experience I've had with Centric has been a positive one. Everyone I've met is really friendly and kind. I've always felt like I've belonged.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The culture we have in this company makes everything worth it.

3. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance, Great People, Self-Managed PTO, Awesome Culture, and Valuable Experiences

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard work but it's always been rewarding in the end for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to make sure new hires are good culture fits.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Centric provides a very positive culture, and the leadership team is very supportive of their team. I highly recommend working for Centric.

Cons

If you want to travel as a consultant, this is not the place for you. Most of the work is local to the area.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting individuals on their career path, and try to maintain the culture as best you can given the growth that has happened.

6. "Perfect Fit for the Self-Starter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Centric is a tremendous place to work for someone who likes to operate in an entrepreneurial environment and is okay with a wide variety of work. While this isn't a 40-hour/week job, the company is a great supporter of work/life balance. There are numerous options to get involved in things outside of just client delivery, but it will be very important for you to recognize your own limits and know when to say "no." While there isn’t a clearly defined career path (you can stick with doing what you like to do for as long as you want to), mentors are available throughout the company if you desire/seek to build these relationships. Management is supportive of mobility (upward or vertical) and is willing to work together on developing and implementing a plan. This company is a perfect fit for me and where I am in my life right now.

Cons

See Title and Pros. The most important thing about working for Centric is understanding the culture and ensuring it’s the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek ways to achieve some standardization across business units while maintaining the entrepreneurial spirit and overall culture.

Centric Consulting Response

Apr 5, 2017 – VP Technology

Thanks for the review. You of course are spot on accurate in the picture you paint. At Centric you're encouraged to control your own destiny and management is empowered and willing to help make it ... More

7. "Centric walks the talk"

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centric cares about clients and employees. Focus on client delivery is balanced and enhanced with a supportive and collaborative work environment. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Cons

It's the nature of consulting, but you don't always get to pick your next assignment. The variety may be a pro to some, but a con to others. The client needs may not always be in perfect alignment with your career goals, so it is important to view each as an opportunity - an opportunity to learn, to delivery excellence, and an opportunity to build new and stronger relationships.

Again the nature of consulting work - while client work is our bread and butter, it can also make it difficult to make time for leverage work of business and/or practice development. You will need to be conscious of this conflict and find creative ways to manage.

Advice to Management

First of all, keep doing what you are doing. You have built a great organization.

Will add one thought. While I like our conservative approach to growth, there may be benefit to scanning the horizon for niche opportunities and make some investment to build up capabilities to expand our core for growth and diversity of client base.

8. "Outstanding company that lives and breathes it's core values."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Centric is a company that clearly lives by it's culture and values. Transparency is high, camaraderie is significant. Employees are truly valued and have ample opportunity to provide input without fear of retribution. Work life balance is a real thing. There isn't an "up or out" mentality that you see in many consulting firms, there aren't any nasty partners or giant egos.

Centric is fiscally strong and continues a good history of growth, and is managed very well (if a tad conservatively but I can't really fault them for that).

Good pay and benefits, slightly lower than industry averages but made up for in culture, "bench safety", work-life balance, being part of a great family.

Cons

If you are in a staffed role, there isn't much opportunity to work on the more exciting consulting projects, but this comes with the territory of mid-level consulting in a smaller firm.

It's somewhat difficult to get involved both in the business as well as culturally as a new employee, there's a lot of cliques and inside jokes. Not in a harmful sense, but it feels like you're an in-law in a new family and you have to find out how you fit in.

Advice to Management

Invest in an Exceptional Culture: Always find ways to increase commitment to values and culture, and the best clients and employees will continue to come.

Strive to Innovate: Dramatically escalate commitment to innovation, look at as an investment in "Research and Development" and spend money on innovation even if there isn't a client attached to the work. Take risks, expect lots of failures. Many of us will jump at these opportunities, but they come with cost!

Ignite Passion for the Greater Good: Given our current political environment, and the company's stated dedication to diversity and inclusion, step away from being "political agnostic" and take a stand for what aligns with our values. This is not a time for temperance when honesty and integrity have been completely tossed aside.

Find more ways to get new employees involved, and more senior employees engaged with new employees, both business and culturally.

9. "A Close Knit, Driven, & Challenging Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Centric Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centric is an extremely close knit group of people from a multitude of different backgrounds and work experiences. I can't speak for everyone business unit, however in Cleveland, we are all highly motivated, driven individuals and it's great to work with a group of people like that. I also enjoy the opportunity to grow my knowledge in not only areas I am strong but also those that I could use some development in. I feel fully supported to take a little bit of risk and I think that is important in a company.

Cons

I will say that unless you drive some conversations around your career or learning knew things you might not get a long of traction. The company was born from a group of people who will go out and make things happen and I think sometimes it is expected of everyone to just go and get it done and that might not work for some and they will find it more challenging to be heard. Not necessarily a con, but definitely food for thought.

One other thought is that because the company has grown organically and quickly in the last few years there is still a lot of autonomy in each business unit and there isn't a lot of over arching standards across the company. It leaves certain things like on-boarding, career development, and other things that should have some sort of standard up to the business units. Again this comes from the fast pace growth that has happened and it is being worked on, but could still use improvement.

Advice to Management

Spend more time working to have standards across the company that give business unit guidelines to follow but still leaves room for customization per business unit and where their strengths are.

"Redmond Contractors Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Centric Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome People
    Fun Atmosphere
    Core Values

Cons

Leadership & Communication: Communication from the top to bottom was terrible and often vague.

Loyalty: I would advise investing in the people that deliver results and strive to make a difference. During my time, quality people left because of how they were treated as well as compensated.

Benefits: The provided plan for W2 employees is horrific. Most employees wave the coverage in favor of a private plan.

Core Values: Centric has phenomenal core values. Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of the clients expectations and culture depending on your team.

Integrity and Openness: Provide constructive feedback. Employees want to know how they are performing and what they can improve upon. I did not have a single review the entire time I was an employee.

W2-Temp: A majority of employees are temporary making them completely expendable.

Career opportunities: With a flat organization and a lack of clients, advancing within the company can be complicated.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and honest about the long and short term goals of the BU. Employees will appreciate understanding exactly where the company stands. Great leadership communicates from top to bottom in a timely manner without clouding the truth. Enforce leadership to stay true to the core values and ensure the key decision makers are in fact a cultural fit that employees trust and are willing to follow.

11. "Best for the Seasoned Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Centric Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment
    Little to no travel
    Generally - employees like to have a good time

Cons

Do not expect to be *truly* trained. This company is best for seasoned consultants who are done with the hectic consulting lifestyle and want to settle down.

Advice to Management

Hire for the future, not for the immediate billable opportunity

Centric Consulting Response

May 26, 2017 – Director Operations

Thank you for your feedback. You have shared an important piece of information. Historically, Centric has had a heavy focus on hiring seasoned consultants as that is part of the value we bring to our ... More