Centro Reviews | Glassdoor

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency" (in 8 reviews)

• "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

"The Proof is in the Pudding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ask any of the employees who have left Centro, and decided to come back, this place is special and not like other companies. There is a reason why employees stay so long, and when they leave for a different job, many want to come back. The company is on the right track with the vision for the new platform, and has managed to maintain its focus on employee wellness and culture even through a massive restructuring. Sure, some people aren't pleased with the changes, but company changes are inevitable in this industry, and I'd be concerned if Centro wasn't making changes.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning... maybe add some candy into the snack mix.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

This company is unlike any other, and anyone working here will agree. There are problems (as there are with any company) - but all in all, it is a fun, enjoyable, culture-oriented place to work. The environment is A+, there are snacks, copious options of coffee (coming from someone who is fine with none ;) and tons of incentives to produce your best work. Any bad reviews are people who wish they hadn't been fired (which says a lot about them as people... because Centro gives you every opportunity to improve before letting you go.

This place is wonderful. Management is wonderful. The culture is wonderful. If you have the chance to work here, you will not regret it.

Cons

Some growing pains, as there will be with every company.

"Media Associate"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

Amazing people and culture, such a great place to learn and work.

Cons

Sometimes colleagues work longer hours.

"Great vision, robust benefits, fiscally responsible"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Centro for a few years now and we've had our ups and downs. But through it all, we've kept the same goals and vision. Additionally, we've been very responsible about how we manage our money, which is a big part of our longevity and stability. The employee benefits are great. I won't list them all here, but there is definitely an emphasis on employee health and wellness.

Cons

The company did not do a great job getting employees to buy into the direction of the business. It is getting better now. Also, in comparison with other company peers, we don't have as much resources as the competition. I know that is our choice to operate the way we do, but internally, we have to recognize that we don't have as much as the other ad tech players.

Advice to Management

Need better communications about what is happening in the business, where we are winning or losing, and why, and where we need to get better.

"Everyone hates their lives here"

I have been working at Centro (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices and world class snacks

Cons

Once a hot company and no longer. You will shed blood tears and sweat for something that doesn't matter at the end of the day. Upper management take advertising way too seriously and ruins the lives of everyone they manage. From the sales dept to the Media team, this company is truly beginning to crumble. Clients don't care about Centro's offering because they have nothing significant to offer. Oh a DSP? A little too late in the game to be competitive. The data analytics they provide to clients is so meaningless and almost every campaign fails. Every person in upper management is either a psychotic mother or an old guy who is waiting to retire to reap his 401k benefits. If you're a male not in upper management, forget about it... You won't succeed in this company. Centro is so desperate for any business (even budgets less than $10k) they can get it's pathetic. You won't learn anything either, so don't waste your time since this isn't an innovative company, it's just another media organization failing to be resilient and unique. Sales folks LOVE to bring in ideas that make no sense for the client and cause unnecessary work for everyone. Also, forget about a pay raise or promotion... you won't see that, EVER. Anyone who's been at the company for more than 3 years will tell you how impulsive their business decisions are, and it's quite sad since upper management knows this company will not be around in 5-8 years, guaranteed.

Advice to Management

We see it in your eyes. You're all upset, so quit and move on with your angry selves.

"Would Not Recommend"

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, good snacks, and strong product.

Cons

Overworked environment, loss of direction as a company, and low pay.

"The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

Advice to Management

Please consider the idea that what you’re hearing on the street has some validity worth investigating. Yes, there is a lot of negativity and perhaps some exaggerations. But try to see both sides to these stories. Please. Many people are telling their sides of the story. And they feel completely silenced and scared.

"Best Experience -- Don't Believe the Recent Posts"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

I'm not one to write reviews but given the recent negative comments by a few angry ex-employees of Centro being spewed, I feel the need to write about my experience. I left a few months ago after being there for over five years.

Hands down, Centro is the best company I've ever worked for.

90% of what I've read in the recent posts isn't close to being accurate of what's going on at the company. It seems like a few scorned, bad apples are looking to hurt the company for reasons no one understands. I promise if you poll the employees at Centro they will tell you it's an amazing company to work for. Leadership cares a lot about the employees and most of my best friends in life are people I met while working at Centro.

And, all of the negative discussion around Basis, Centro's newest platform is laughable. I saw the platform firsthand and also saw it implemented at the company and the first few customers.

I've seen a lot of platforms in the advertising industry and nothing compares. Did it take them awhile to build it? Sure, but it's a massive platform -- much bigger than the leading industry DSPs. So of course it's going to take a long time and millions of dollars.

Spoiler alert to the haters: ALL big platforms take that long and that type of investment to build. Nothing new here. And the CEO deciding to remove the CTO and lead day-to-day management of the product and engineer organization was the smartest, and most effective, move he could've made a few years ago.

If you want to know what's really going on at Centro, just email anyone at the company and I'm sure they'd be willing to give you an honest, fair and unbiased assessment.

And I'm positive the super vast majority of them will say the same things I'm saying.

Cons

*SEE ABOVE*

The biggest cons I see are the ex-employees writing negative Glassdoor reviews and trying to cause drama and create bad publicity for a company they don't work for anymore (so silly and juvenile...what's the point?).

I've always found something funny, and unique, about Centro. It's that when people leave the company they can never "just leave". There is something magnetic about the culture that, when they're not a part of it anymore, it bothers them. Never seen anything like it in my career.

Advice to Management

Ignore the lies and criticisms on Glassdoor from people who don't work at the company anymore.

Stay focused on helping and improving the people at the company who love coming to work, who are committed to the cause, and who are committed to keeping Centro one of the best companies in the industry to work for.

"Media Specialist"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

The company has built a cool technology and has an easy to use platform

Cons

Company is going through changes and people are leaving

"Love Centro, Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Media Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Centro for 3 years now and have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Centro has an amazing work-life balance, benefits and colleagues. Everyone is so friendly and is always willing to lend a helping hand if you are ever in a bind. If someone leaves and goes to a typical "agency" company they always end up reaching back out a few months later expressing how they wish they had never left in the first place!

Cons

- More emphasis on Basis vs Services
    - Promotions are very difficult for deserving employees