Centro Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2019

4.0
Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

"It's definitely the best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

- I've had the opportunity to work with people I like on challenging problems. - My manager cares about my career and has done his best to put me in new and challenging situations. - There's a good energy building with some of the new hires and the product doing well in the market.

Cons

Nothing significant. All companies change over time and experiences might be different based on the team, city, or time period. Overall though, I've been happy over the few years I've worked at Centro.

Centro2019-04-24

"Exactly what I was looking for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging business domain, mentorship, inclusive environment. Centro's tech team has a ton of talent and they recognize the value of investing in individual growth.

Cons

Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech.

Centro2019-04-17

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing noteworthy to mention as pros. Just a regular technology company trying to stay in business.

Cons

Poor management, no career growth, no skill development, the list goes on. Most of the effort just goes in handling poor managers and their egoistic attitudes. Plus there is shortage of staff with all the laying off and some smart people leaving the company. Day to day effort goes in training new folks than learning anything new. This used to be one of the companies with best work culture. But not anymore.

Advice to Management

Try to retain good employees than restructuring and experimenting.

Centro2018-12-08

"OK Place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company offers unlimited PTO and good benefits package. Conducts guided meditation classes for employee well being

Cons

Politics in technology group makes it difficult to build career. Many good people in the technology group had left the company.Not a collaborative culture.

Advice to Management

Be Transparent and have skip level meetings to gather feedback on your direct reports. Promote people based on the leadership capabilities

Centro2018-03-06

"Awesome sauce experience for Technology/Engineering team"

I worked at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing leadership, amazing benefits, collaborative environment, amazing "peeps"

Cons

Highs and lows of employees collaborating after work hours on 20% work, at times it was very active, other times it lulled during stressful times when probably needed extra effort towards that the most. Most of the time 20% work was during work hours which was hard to manage with other more top functional priorities. All in all though, not too much of a con, just giving more depth of my experiences.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on :)

Centro2018-01-19

"Extremely Inefficient Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Nice offices. Unlimited PTO

Cons

Inexperienced management. No feedback culture Asks employees to write good reviews so they can look good on paper No processes. Politics in every group drains your energy. Not a place where you can make a difference. CEO doesn't trust his own leadership Leadership team and some of the longtime employees left the company. Whoever is left got promoted.

Advice to Management

Please stop telling lies to your employees

Centro2018-03-05

"Great company"

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a company founded on the principle of keeping their employees happy, and they really work hard at it. They are also heavily focused on hiring the right people and doing the right things.

Cons

Turnover in technical leadership over the years has resulted in a less than stellar reputation for the technology department with the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep getting better at being an engineering and design-driven product company.

Centro2015-09-15

"Really fun people, rewarding work and GREAT happy hours"

I worked at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working on building a scalable web platform that users will interact with 8 hours a day. - Huge learning opportunity. Lot of very unique problems to solve in the advertising industry. - Flexibility to work in any area of engineering. You're looked at as a full stack engineer. - Monthly happy hours are extremely fun. - CEO is very approachable, and actively seeks feedback. - Quite easily the best work/life balance. - Culture speaks for itself, having won best place to work for the past 4 years.

Cons

- Lot of process changes made it tough to get into a rhythm. - There's experienced developers and architects, then a considerable drop-off.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide developers the platform to work on exciting and challenging problems. Keep it a fun and stress-free environment regardless of the circumstances.

Centro2015-03-04

"Centro was a major disappointment"

I worked at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Centro has three main pros. First, our CEO knows what he's doing. Second, the benefits are mostly pretty great--free yoga three times a week, a bike room, the 401k match is beyond generous, etc. Finally, there are talented engineers on the team, though most people we have hired in the last six months or so have been very junior.

Cons

Centro's promises were a lie. When I was hired, they promised flexibility, a positive work environment where learning from mistakes and growing were paramount, kick-ass benefits, and the opportunity to work on a possibly market changing product. By this past August, over two thirds of the engineers had quit. Earlier last year, new management was brought into the engineering department. They decided to stop all work on our main project and scrap what we had. This is the second time in as many years that all development work on this project has been halted, the app completely re-architected, and engineering yelled at because we didn't control scope creep (which is a product issue--our product team has been completely replaced three times in the last couple years). This new management were mostly consultants brought in to get a product out the doors. Suddenly, we had after work meetings lasting until 9pm. The entire engineering team was yelled at multiple times for questioning why development work was being completely scraped when a good portion of the code was really good, worked, and could be reused in a new product. We were often left in the dark about high level management decisions, only to be suddenly surprised that we were doing things not to management's liking. It was very confusing to be told one month that hey, we're doing things this one way, and then the next be screamed at in a meeting because we were doing things in the agreed upon way. One of Centro's big selling points are its awesome benefits: 15 days PTO when you start, plus 10 "Ferris Bueller" anytime days. The purpose of these days was to use them as freebie days, for any reason, as long as your responsibilities were covered. We were told that we weren't allowed to use Ferris Bueller days as intended, and anyone who used one needed "a good reason". Engineering management told us that Centro's work from home policies were too lose--we have many remote workers and several people live over two hours form the office (one direction) and specifically picked Centro because of the great remote working policy. From that point onward, working from home got people targeted for "having a bad attitude”, despite their actual attitude. The product Centro is building is unrealistic; it aims to be the be-all end-all of placing ads online. Larger companies have built similar products that target specific types of ads (e.g., video ads, text ads for certain platforms). This is supposed to support everything. Just hitting the main APIs for ad placement is a gigantic project, and engineering has had to rebuild this APIs multiple times since management keeps scrapping what we have. If you're an engineer and you're looking to work at Centro, work elsewhere. The benefits are great (PTO is generous, health insurance is awesome, snacks are provide in excess), but the drama, politics and nepotism will make you hate your job, as it did for me and over 15 other engineers. Centro isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Get your development and product team together. There's too much over the wall between each group. Also, focus one type of ad for one service, launch with that, and then iterate and improve the workflow that way. With so many external APIs to hit, it's hard to ship something, and honestly, at this point, something is better than nothing. The current scope is too large. Work on communication between the management of engineering and the actual engineers--a ten minute weekly meeting where the goings-on at the top are announced would be a great place to start.

Centro2015-02-05

"I actually enjoy going to work!"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've had the pleasure to code at. There are good benefits, including generous PTO and flexible work from home. Refreshingly, this is the only place I've been where people use their PTO as they see fit and feel no pressure to fake being sick. In addition I feel that Centro is a transparent organization that values its employees and respects their personal life. As an engineer Centro is an exciting place to be right now. We're working on an ambitious and sophisticated project that will change the face of the company and industry. There is good leadership, and solid development plans that are being executed with an agile approach. I feel that the current dev team is really doing software right, and there are a lot of smart people here making it happen.

Cons

On the petty side, we are running out of room in the office and snacks, drinking glasses, etc. disappear quickly. More significantly, I think we'd be better off if there was more cohesion between the different departments and offices of the organization.

Centro2014-09-04