Centro Employee Reviews about "ad tech"

Updated Aug 20, 2019

4.3
Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
  • "I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro(in 30 reviews)

• "Centro has a great benefits package(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "ad tech"

Return to all Reviews

"Best place to work- hands down!"

Current Employee - Performance Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will never find a company culture like Centro. Everyone is so friendly and truly there to help. It is an extremely collaborative work environment with some of the smartest minds in the Ad Tech/ Digital Marketing industry. The CEO, Sean, is extremely hands on and receptive to his employees and their needs. Ego's are left at the door the second you walk into Centro and all ideas are listened to and treated equally. At Centro there is no such thing as "my way or the highway" managers are open to new ways of doing things and listen to what other people have to say.

Cons

If I ever want to change career paths, it's going to be tough to find a better company that makes me excited to come to work everyday.

Centro Response

December 6, 2019Centro

Thank you for your feedback on your time at Centro! We’re so happy that you’ve found the culture here to be special. As you know, the leadership team tries very hard to cultivate a transparent, collaborative, and ego-less culture and loves hearing new ideas from our people! If you have any additional feedback or ideas, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

"Exactly what I was looking for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging business domain, mentorship, inclusive environment. Centro's tech team has a ton of talent and they recognize the value of investing in individual growth.

Cons

Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech.

Centro Response

May 17, 2019Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! What a huge compliment to hear that you enjoy the challenging work and inclusive environment that Centro provides. Our tech team is truly one of the most talented out there and we thank you for being a part of it! If you have any further feedback on the company or product, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

"Smart and Generous Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

The Centro experience varies by team according to who you work with (including from a role, coworker, office location, and client standpoint). Prospective employees should understand that an employee’s experience is tailored depending on these factors. That being said, it seems that the Centro culture makes it a great place to work for a majority of employees. Centro offers employees a great deal of upsides including: 401(k) & HSA contributions, unlimited vacation, sabbatical, gym reimbursement, and the opportunity to transfer between positions/offices when company & employee goals align. No company is perfect, and neither is Centro. But if you’re looking for a top place to work in the ad industry, I would recommend Centro. More than the material benefits, the intangibles (such as feeling challenged at work and believing in the company’s mission) contribute to feeling satisfied. Centro sits in a unique position within the ad tech marketplace which is constantly evolving, and the company is frequently iterating on its products and services in order to better serve the industry. Some people, including some employees, may see this as a negative because of the company’s need for continual realignment (this included changes near the end of 2015). But many others see this as a positive, because although it’s a large company, it is still highly adaptable to meeting the needs of the market on a real-time basis. It's fun to be a part of a company that you feel is contributing to something larger than yourself. The company, which is still led by the founder/CEO, has made well-informed, strategic decisions for acquisitions and areas of growth. The company does take risks to position itself as a leader, and while not all of them have led to immediate returns or without their hiccups, the leadership is humble and has been quick to take responsibility and correct course rather than fall behind the industry. Centro’s track record proves that the CEO and leadership are more focused on integrity and the long game than they are with status quo or quick gains in the short run. This fits well with employees who are intrinsically motivated and see their work as an investment into the future version of Centro.

Cons

A good review of Centro doesn’t mean that it’s an easy place to work. It’s not all downhill coasting; you must be prepared to work hard. Some employees have a sense of entitlement, perhaps partly developed because Centro is a generous place of work. As stated in its manifesto, Centro works well for those who have a sense of personal responsibility: “Each person is responsible for her/his own improvement, the improvement of those around them, and the improvement of the company.” Centro is a wide company with many different types of roles available, but the hierarchy isn’t always as deep. Growth most often refers to expanding your own skills, knowledge and capabilities, not necessarily by way of title and salary. It’s not the kind of company where you automatically move up into a new role or title each year.

Continue reading

"Account Lead - Love my job!"

Current Employee - Account Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, compensation/benefits and Centro culture. The people at Centro all share similar values and are the epitome of teamwork. I have an amazing support team, experts available to me and my clients/agencies at all times, and the management is extremely helpful. This is not a company that micromanages and everyone works together to achieve success. As an account lead, I have a base + uncapped commission based on annual goals. My goal has been achievable every year. Starting at Centro, the benefits include a 401K match, gym reimbursement, 3 weeks vacation, 10 "Ferris Bueller" days, 3 months paid maternity leave, a 3-week paid sabbatical after working with Centro for 4 years and MUCH more. It's a work-life blend and management supports goals both personally and professionally. The Centro culture has remained strong despite the aggressive growth we are seeing. The manifesto is something we all live by. if you walk into a room with our team, you can't immediately tell the difference between top management and entry-level employees - everyone is working together for a common goal.

Cons

There are certainly some 60+ hour work-weeks but you manage your own schedule as you need to get things done, finding a balance with time off and slower periods. The chaos of the fast-growing ad tech industry can be overwhelming for some, however it is a great thing If you are an over-achiever and thrive on "busy."

Continue reading

"Principled company that cares about employees and the industry"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a mission to improve the lives of the people who work in digital media. We've had a lot of challenges in the past year, but we've always been true to our goals and honest with employees about the business. Unlike our other peers in ad tech, we are not in it for the quick buck. We care about the customers and we care about the people who work here. Oh, and we met most of our revenue-based bonus goals so it's a nice way to start the year.

Cons

As I said above, there are lots of challenges in the ad tech space. Everyone is a competitor and it's tough to create tech that meets all of the industry's needs -- especially if those needs continue to change. This is not an easy ride and you can't coast in this company.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Centro offers top notch benefits including 401k matching, a 3 week sabbatical for tenured employees, competitive pay, 4 months maternity/1 month paternity leave, (the list goes on...). Most important, Centro offers the opportunity to work with an outstanding group of individuals in a challenging and supportive environment. Yes, the company has gone through changes over the last 8-10 months, but we are in an industry that is constantly evolving. I commend the leadership team for not allowing us to become irrelevant but rather, pushing the envelope to make sure we stay at the forefront of that evolution. Change can be difficult, but if you're not willing to play a role and push for a stronger outcome, then perhaps it's time to reconsider a career in Ad Tech.

Cons

There is room for improvement when it comes to unifying communications across teams.

Continue reading

"Centro is fully committed to clients and employees"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like that Centro continues to be focused on client campaign performance. But also, the company places equally high value on training, which allows employees to grow personally and professionally. Most exciting, currently, is that Centro’s buying platform is now in the hands of many agencies and brands across the country... and user base is increasing rapidly. From an HR and benefits perspective, the company offers medical, dental, 401k, generous vacation, wellness programs, charitable programs, gym reimbursement, and so much more. I feel fortunate to work for Centro and truly enjoy coming to work every day. Huge props to our founder and CEO, the new sales and MSO leader(s), and the people in our office. Love the culture!

Cons

Retaining talent can be difficult. With internal training/education and people consistently working on creative campaigns, Centro employees are among the most experienced in digital media and ad tech. So they are often approached by recruiters and other companies.

8. "Outstanding people"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at Centro love working here and it shows. And it is infectious. Working for this company makes you want to do your best, which makes for a great experience for Centro's employees and their clients. Communication is great. Training is great. It is honestly a great company to work for. This is an exciting time to be in the ad tech world and Centro is a leader in this space.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Continue reading
  9. "Has it all - Vision, Leadership, Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

- One of the most scaled companies in ad tech. We're not flashy though, so most people are surprised to hear we do well over $250MM in revenue. - We are easily one of the most capital-efficient companies in the space. Achieving impressive YOY growth and doing it profitably since inception. This can be a con, too, because our focus on profitable growth means we're prudent with expenses (not the norm in digital!) - We're on a mission to solve a very compelling, real problem in the industry. Everyone is very aligned on what we're doing and why - It truly is a best place to work (and not just at HQ in Chicago). The people are amazingly smart, supportive, warm and helpful. It's amazing to come to work every day and love the people you spend so much time with - Benefits are simply amazing. 401k match, sabbaticals, yoga, meditation, gym membership, etc. This says it all: if you watch the Crain's Best Place to Work videos done that feature the employees of all the winners, it's noticeable that everyone talks about the same stuff: free food, simple perks. And yet all the Centro folks talk about the people and the culture. We've got all the perks, but it's the people that really matter.

Cons

- Very fast-paced. If you can't handle rapid change and a dynamic environment, Centro is not for you - Sometimes the culture can be TOO nice; I want people to be comfortable telling it like it is - Seems like our high integrity can hurt us in this space that tends to reward (or tolerate) hype, BS and nonsense.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Centro has a fun, dynamic culture centered on corporate values and beliefs. Based on the growth of the company as well as the ad-tech industry, there are many opportunities for growth and career development (if not advancement). The people actually care about each other and everyone is committed to great customer service and the culture and success of the company. It's a happy, fun place to work with smart, dedicated people.

Cons

Career advancement opportunities are created by the growth of the company and the individual's role within the organization so may be slower for some areas within the company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 English Reviews