Centro Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 22, 2020

4.3
Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
  • "I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro(in 30 reviews)

• "Centro has a great benefits package(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

My favorite company thus far

Sep 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro. I had previously worked at places where I may have had an amazing work life balance, but was bored with the problems I worked on/pace of the company. I've also been at places where I worked on super cutting edge problems, but at the cost of having to work crazy hours and get burned out. Here at Centro, I can honestly say that I am able to have both. The employees I've been around are all super smart, yet humble, and not overly competitive like I've seen at other places. People are always willing to help, and we all collectively recognize that we're in this together and doing our best!

Cons

We have a gorgeous office downtown, and as much as I enjoy the flexibility of remote work during covid, I miss going there!

1 person found this review helpful

Centro Response

Centro

Thank you for taking the time to share your enthusiasm for Centro! We are thrilled that you are passionate about your work, and are able to maintain a great work life balance. We are so grateful for our employees and know we can only continue to be successful through the work and well-being of each individual. We miss the office too and are looking forward to when we are able to go back! If you have any additional feedback or questions, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -Emily, EVP, Talent and Development

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Decision I've Ever Made

Mar 5, 2020 - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They truly empower us to be the expert in our field. They care! I've never felt more appreciated. Leadership across the company in on point. Work, life balance is truly a thing here. Benefits are great!

Cons

I would't say there really are any true cons, we all have bad days and nothing is perfect. But I have zero regrets coming to Centro.

2 people found this review helpful

Centro Response

Centro

Thank you for your kind feedback! One of our proudest accomplishments is that our people feel empowered, appreciated, and supported. We’re excited to continue to set the example in the industry with people like you on the team! If you have any additional feedback or questions, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love Centro, Great Work-Life Balance

Mar 1, 2018 - Media Services in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Centro for 3 years now and have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Centro has an amazing work-life balance, benefits and colleagues. Everyone is so friendly and is always willing to lend a helping hand if you are ever in a bind. If someone leaves and goes to a typical "agency" company they always end up reaching back out a few months later expressing how they wish they had never left in the first place!

Cons

- More emphasis on Basis vs Services - Promotions are very difficult for deserving employees

15 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help.

May 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

23 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Unable to lead change

Apr 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance; decent perks

Cons

Mismanaged teams and leadership that doesn't seem to care. They lost some of their best employees because of this and don't seem to notice or care about the loss of talent. Find yourself a place that truly cares.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for a year or two

Mar 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited vacation, hella snack opportunities, good work/life balance, culture depends on the office, coworkers are cool and make this place less annoying on any given day

Cons

People are overworked Company seems focused on making sure new managers have all the training they need (a good thing), but also backwards. Why not make an effort to notice people WHO WOULD MAKE GOOD MANAGERS and proactively train them to step into those types of roles? There are so many people in management roles that are simply bad at managing ... leading to frustrated employees who have to manage up, do all the extra work for their bonehead boss, all the while getting zero of the credit. Total boy’s club @ the top. Especially in sales. Not a man? Good luck working your way in unless you feel like being Shawn’s latest yes man, or you’re a hot chick. Leadership keeps pushing a message to their employees that if we all just work a LITTLE HARDER we’ll be profitable. No mention of the fact that the company’s vision and leadership is all over the place. Trust me, people are working plenty hard ... with fewer resources, no bonuses, no raises, etc. Where is the motivation to stay? Nobody wins here except for execs, who have been here so long. Some of them have NO experience in the departments/teams they’re running, are completely clueless, and push work off to already overworked staff. I assume they’re still here because they’re waiting to be bought out. $$$ Some of the female executives could stand to take a sexism 101 course. Career growth is 100% lip service. In fact, there’s company acknowledgement that people leave due to lack of career growth - so what’s the company’s solution to the problem? Push out more messaging about how it’s so great to grow your career here, with no actual evidence of that being a fact for employees and no actual plan of attack to make that happen for employees. It’s verbal dust.

24 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Great People, Great Place

Mar 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are the best part of Centro. You are actually looked at as a person and are cared about, very strong family vibe. Media folks are extremely knowledgeable and hardworking. Great benefits package, but the biggest benefits are the work life balance (which every company promises, but Centro actually keeps that promise) and the friendships made here. CEO and upper management actually make an effort to know the people they work with, never had a senior level exec care know more about me than just my name, or care about workload, ask if I need help, etc. It's refreshing and uncommon in this industry.

Cons

Centro does reorganize frequently, and there are definitely growing pains, but the people who work here are strong enough to weather the changes.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

I like it here

Aug 2, 2017 - Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

I don't take work stress home with me. The work/life balance is excellent. The office is beautiful and there are a ton of great perks. Unlimited time off. Generous benefits. There is a vibrant start-up feel even though the company is large. They have an extensive 2-day new hire orientation and plenty of resources to help you succeed. My manager checks in with me regularly and I appreciate the goal setting and focus on improving department structure and processes. I am not micromanaged and I feel supported by senior leadership and the HR department.

Cons

Some processes in non-revenue generating departments are still embarrassingly manual because there has been a lack of investment in systems improvement. I wonder about some employees that have been here for a while and if Centro invested enough in them to ensure they've progressed professionally at the same pace in which they've received promotions. Some departments are still reeling from prior mismanagement. Change happens so slowly and there are always multiple levels of approval and buy-ins before even minor changes can be made. Some departments are very cliquey and there can be gossip.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Feb 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, excellent leadership, top benefits including unlimited PTO. They really value their employees and spend a lot of time on your personal and professional development. It's a truly enjoyable place to be and if you are team-oriented, you'll fit right in. Work/life balance is unbeatable.

Cons

It seems we've been stocking less chips lately in the kitchen.

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not a great place to work

May 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

World class culture for work life balance. Great snacks. Shiny people.

Cons

Sales teams appease clients. Lack of leadership in analytics. Revolving door for analysts.

8 people found this review helpful