Centura Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Centura Health CEO and President Peter D. Banko
Peter D. Banko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They value our ability to grow or support a better work environment" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great people, good benefits, stable work environment" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is wanting to cut IT to the bare bones which is making the lower staff over worked and unhappy" (in 17 reviews)

• "Very much business minded and is not as focused on patient care as they once were or about making their employees happy" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid place to work"

I worked at Centura Health full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity and really quality co-workers

Cons

Sometimes too many projects going on at once

May 8, 2018 – Recruiting

It's an exciting time, there is a lot going on and that creates opportunity for people to develop their skills and apply their talents in interesting new ways. Thank you for taking time to tell us... More

2. "Chief Operating Officer"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Centura Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High Quality Healthcare, Mission Driven!

Cons

Penrose is an older facility.

"Could be better, could be much worse"

I have been working at Centura Health full-time

Pros

This company attracts good people for the most part and strives to improve patient care. Flexible hours and a lot of freedom

Cons

We use PTO for holidays... which makes no sense. Why should I have to use the PTO I have accrued for days when my office is closed anyway?

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Clinical pharmacist"

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in Castle Rock, CO
    Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in Castle Rock, CO

I have been working at Centura Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off, location, friendly work environment

Cons

Short staffed, high turn over rate

Advice to Management

More staff, pay better to retain good employees, communicate with staff

"After two years, still could be better."

Pros

Depending on the area or unit of the hospital you work for you can have excellent co-workers and/or management that make it a positive and enjoyable experience.

Vision insurance isn’t bad and neither is dental so far in my experience.

Respectable mission and vision hospital wide.

Services as a consumer can be so-so depending on the unit.

Cons

Management doesn’t really care about staff.
    Management asks if you have health insurance through the company when you call in sick.
    If you ask management questions, you’re lucky to receive a reply.
    If your department doesn’t “bring in money” they consider your position worthless.
    Very much business minded and is not as focused on patient care as they once were or about making their employees happy.
    Does not actually adhere to their vision and values.
    Honestly think there is money mismanagement since they essentially shut down most services for a hospital in a community where both hospitals were being fully utilized by the community.
    They cut the scrub stipend from $75 to $50.
    Policy states there is a weekend differential for all clinical employees (includes techs) Centura wide, but it is not given or even offered.

All hospitals are understaffed. Nurses can end up with 6-7 patients on night shift including charge.
    No overtime has been allowed for a few months which doesn’t help being understaffed.
    No sick bank, you only have a PTO bank for when you’re sick.
    PTO doesn’t actually accrue if you’re called off all the time, because bills still need paid.
    Only a 1% pay raise with 2% CoLA (cost of living adjustment) which has not matched up with recent trends of the local economy. Still underpaid.
    The floor matrix’s makes no sense and is not consistent and leads to higher patient falls when you have 1-2 CNA’s for 25+ patients.
    Health insurance is meh.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, give a better raise or CoLA to your employees, take better care of your employees and you’ll see the results with patient care.

6. "RN"

I have been working at Centura Health full-time

Pros

No concern for nurse retention

Cons

Way too many to list.

Advice to Management

Quit preaching and do as you say you do! Show employees you care about them don’t just say that you do. Actions speak much louder than words!

"Customer Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Centura Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent weekly hours without a pager.
    Caring direct supervisor that understands work life balance.

Cons

Few opportunities to move up within the organization. They often hire folks from the outside instead.

Advice to Management

Work to mentor so that employees may have opportunities to move up in the organization.

Jul 30, 2018 – Recruiting

Thanks for your comment. We especially appreciate your 10+ years of service and longevity with Centura Health! Developing talent is a top priority for our organization. We are also preparing to... More

8. "Centura Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Centura Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Expected to double in size in the next 7 years

Cons

average pay, very low annual raises

Jul 30, 2018 – Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback, positive outlook and your longevity and service to Centura Health! Evaluating pay across the organization has been a top priority with our finance and compensation teams... More

"slave driver"

I have been working at Centura Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i have pictures of my kids to look at throughout the day, reminding me that the reason i am here is for them

Cons

managers who dont take the time to do their job but like to walk around the clinic talking out loud on her earpiece on a personal phone call, yet emails that need to be addressed arent because she's too busy handling personal issues. I have never worked at a more stressed, over worked job where the managers do absolutely nothing but give you more and more to do while they do nothing. She constantly makes mistakes and nothing is done about it. When i ask her for help, she says "oh, i dont know anything about that." Go figure.

Advice to Management

Please hire new fresh management. My manager is stuck in her "old" ways and she cant handle being told she is wrong when the CHPG policy clears states otherwise.

"They say, "We care. BUT NOT REALLY." (Literal management quote)"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Centura Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- decent compensation
    - acceptable benefits cost to employees
    - PTO accrual is >6 hrs/ pay period for new staff

Cons

Castle Rock Adventist.
    Tense culture with constant struggle between administration and clinical staff. The drs want one thing, the administration wants the exact opposite, and you will be stuck in the middle listening to your non-clinical manager rant at you for infractions such as "having personal decorations in your workspace" (i.e. a picture of your children) or "negatively impacting the Centura mission" for 1-5 min of overtime/ 'late' clockouts after days on end of understaffed, overworked shifts.

I've never worked anywhere where I've been specifically told that when it comes to patient care, "we care, but not really," by management. No support in the workplace, dangerously short staffing, they expect dept RNs to handle patient needs, procedures, setup, room and equipment sterilization, scheduling, patient calls, admin tasks, surgical scheduling, prior authorizations, billing, insurance, you name it, it's added to your job description, all while providing full-time, full shift patient care for your assigned census. Management has specifically been overheard bad-mouthing leadership-trained nurses and RN staff in front of other clinical personnel, comments that "you may not be able do this job, but maybe another nurse could" and being reprimanded for daring to even speak with our dept physicians (literally reminded you "are not on their level" by manager) are commonplace. Physicians screaming at clinical staff and directors to the point staff leaves crying multiple days per week, clinical staff written up by non-clinical managers for performing licensed and directed patient cares, managers visibly crying on the care floor, verbal altercations between internal staff on a least a multi-day basis per week.... I've never questioned my place in this profession the way I did during my time here.

Difficult, negative, petty, punitive, and high-stress environment, with a side of constant criticism-- it's almost as if they look for the problems rather than solutions? If you value quality, patient-focused care, as well as your sanity, would highly advise taking a pass on this dysfunctional place.

Jul 30, 2018 – Recruiting

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear this was your experience during your time with us. Centura Health is committed to living its core values and making sure everyone is treated with the... More