Century 21 Department Stores Reviews in Morristown, NJ | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Century 21 Department Stores CEO Raymond Gindi
Raymond Gindi

Pros
  • Great work environment, great people (in 18 reviews)

• Set schedule with lots of opportunity for overtime (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The department manager gives you too much work to do for minimum wage (in 50 reviews)

• Low pay and demanding management (in 31 reviews)

"Sales"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Morristown, NJ

Pros

I get discounted for great quality items . I live around the corner.

Cons

The hours are too long . I dont like to have to work on Sundays.

Advice to Management

I am very adabtable ..responsible..reliable ...quick learner ..,great customer service ..

2. "Management overbearing"

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Century 21 Department Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, weekly pay, the co workers are very nice. Well rounded environment. There are chances of you being able to move up in the company.

Cons

They want you to be a robot and not talk. Constant work. The company is dead on weekdays. Management acts like they care but really don't. They only see the negative.

Advice to Management

Talking down to employees lowers their moral and makes them hate work. Also makes them not want to do anything for you.

3. "Do not work for Cen21 in Morristown"

Former Employee - Cashier in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time

Pros

Great clothes
    BIG STORE
    NICE AREA

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. The staff and managers included sit around in hurdles to talk about the staff. I literally watched five or six team members gossip instead of doing their job. Management doesnt set a good example because they are too busy talking about the people that they hire~ The pay is horrible, a little over minimum wage! Loss Prevention routinely searches you on a daily basis! You are being watched all day by loss prevention because they think you may steal. I dont know any human being who would find pleasure in getting strip searched each day for work. It is not worth the aggravation . Find a better job with more mature and professional people. The pay is low and they will easily mess up your hours and your pay. People are always watching your every move.

Advice to Management

Instead of gossiping all day, try doing some work! Hire people and value them with a reasonable salary. Stop using foul language and speak with professionalism in front of guests. HORRRRRRIBLEEE COMPANY TO WORK FOR~!

4. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Sales Cashier in Morristown, NJ

Pros

My co-workers were great (for the most part)

Cons

The customers treat you terribly, the hours are long, especially on the weekends. Unorganized.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Don't make people were 9 hour shifts every Saturday and Sunday

5. "Too much work for too little pay + LP is king"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the pros are that you get first dibs on great items like clothes, housewares & kids clothes.

Cons

Loss Prevention is king. The company is so afraid of theft & dishonesty that they pour over $3 million annually into security. it's absurd.

Advice to Management

Discard corporate LP immediately, and pay the team members more.

6. "Low Pay"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get your foot in the door

Cons

doesnt pay enough. terrible attitudes from other employees

Advice to Management

act more professionally

"Loss PREVENTION is terrible"

Current Employee - Floor Sales (Shoes) in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Floor Sales (Shoes) in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Century 21 Department Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager was great.
    Work was pretty easy to pick up.

Cons

Pay was really low.
    Couldn't afford to travel back and forth on 8 an hour.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to not lay off a great employee for a minor issue that could have been resolved another way.

8. "the experience at century 21 department store"

Former Employee - Sales Cashier in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they have should showed good customer service and always know where to find the latest fashion. the staff is really friendly. They also very helpful and very warm to help out others.

Cons

there is no cons for this company at all. Everything was very satifisfied at this part of the company.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to management at all.

"Wasted a year and a half with this company."

Former Employee - Sales Cashier in Morristown, NJ

Pros

The prices are not bad and the employee discount is reasonable (10%). There is always a lot of work to do but it is relatively easy and uncomplicated. There are small opportunities to earn extra money (and oh you'll need it with what they pay you) by giving the Loss Prevention team information about shoplifters, switched tickets, etc. You'll get $10 if you make "Service Leader of the Day" and a paid day off if you make "Team Member of the Month".

Cons

The pay is awful. The rate of increase "negotiated" by our "union" has steadily dropped. It's barely an inch over minimum wage and no amount of hard work or dedication will earn you a raise.

The "Union" is a joke. They took union dues from our paycheck but did nothing to help us. Whenever the union representative would visit the store, any concerns or complaints I had were dismissed by her almost immediately. The union rips you off while doing their best to serve the company's interests, not the employees.

Overtime and holiday pay is a real task to get. If you want to be paid extra for working on a holiday, you must work the day before the holiday and the day after. If you want to work overtime, well good luck getting the hours. If you manage to become a favorite of a manager, you might get it here and there.

The Team Member of the Month and Service Leader of The Day rewards seem more like a popularity contest than an actual recognition system.

The health benefits include a $100 co-pay for every single thing. 5 paid vacation days isn't anything to turn your nose up at until you talk to people who work for other companies and find out they get 2 weeks. And 4 paid sick days is not nearly enough, especially considering their health benefits are so terrible, you can't possibly visit the doctor once a month in order to prevent sickness.

You get a 30 minute lunch and one 15 minute break for an 8 hour shift. So be prepared to scarf your meals as fast as possible and to be ravenous by the time you get off of work.

LP will spend the majority of their time trying to catch you, the employee, doing something you shouldn't be doing. While their eyes are turned towards you, shoppers are probably stuffing items down their pants and walking out the door scott-free, something they expect us to put a stop to for little $5 incentives (money you will have to constantly remind LP you have earned before you receive it).

If you come to the store to shop on your day off you must enter through the employee entrance and you cannot wear your jacket out on the floor or carry your purse (you must leave it with LP or in your locker). You are expected to carry your wallet, cell phone or anything else you may need while shopping in your hands, buy what you want and leave through the employee entrance, getting patted down on the way out.

We are forced to harass every single guest we encounter, whether on the floor or at the register. This immediately sours the sales person/guest relationship. The person just wants to shop in peace. There are signs all over the store offering and explaining the VIP card and there are gift cards completely visible all over the store. If the customer would like to have either, they will take the initiative. Simply mentioning the gift card or VIP card to a customer is not really that hard to do but we are pressured to get 10 VIP card sign ups a day and 5 gift card sales a day. Depending on how lax/sane your manager is, you will be written up for not meeting this requirement.

I came in on time every day, I made extra effort, I stayed late, I came in early, I worked on days off, I helped out other departments. I made it known to my superiors that I desired a promotion. I did this for a year and half. I received no raise and no promotions of any sort. I did receive a lot of vague promises and reassuring smiles but these turned out to just be ploys to make me work harder for less. I sure felt like a sucker.

There is no morale at Century. You will be spoken down to and treated like a child. If you try to call out, you will be treated like some idiot teenager who is faking sick to get out of school. If you try to alter your schedule you will be given a flat out "no" or you will be given the run around. It is impossible to have a personal life and a work life if you expect to get anywhere at Century.

The entire culture that seems to be prevalent at Century is extremely negative and poisonous. It's all about numbers and profit. It's not about what the guest really wants or needs and it's not about how the employees deserve to be treated. It's about profit, hands down, 100%. If you enjoy being treated like a commodity, by all means, get a job with Century 21 Department Stores.

Advice to Management

If you worry a little bit more about what the guest ACTUALLY needs and how to keep employees happy, you will make a lot more profit. You are too focused on the short term and not the long term and this will probably be the downfall of Century 21 Department Stores. Management should treat employees with more respect. Let's cut back on the condescending remarks and verbally abusive behaviors and act like real leaders.