Cerner Reviews

3.8
Cerner CEO and Chairman Brent Shafer
Brent Shafer
1,438 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work life balance is really good right now(in 530 reviews)

• "Great work environment and work-life balance(in 362 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is what you make of it(in 354 reviews)

• "Can be all-consuming working long hours(in 193 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cerner and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fair

May 5, 2021 - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment and nice atmosphere

Cons

Less pay and no work life balance

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to get experience, but does not pay industry standard

Apr 23, 2021 - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cerner is a great out of college or transitioning career paths job. You get a ton of responsibility and can take on as much as you in order to grow very quickly. My direct team is amazing from a culture perspective and I still have close relationships with the start group I began with years ago. In consulting, so you get to travel many cool places, plus you work in a variety of different of health systems, so you get exposed to everything from small community works county hospitals, huge national health systems, and federal systems like DoD/VA all in one place. It truly is an amazing place to springboard your career and understand the industry.

Cons

They do not pay industry standard. They preach pay for performance but it does not always come out during review time due to the disconnect between our executive teams, leadership, and HR's tight purse strings. As a residual affect from the first con, it breeds a cyclic second, which is associates jumping ship from Cerner to other companies, leaving teams understaffed with a big backlog and having to throw new associates that do not have adequate training into project work.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing corporate environment

May 5, 2021 - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work structure Amazing associate experience Good health care benefits

Cons

Management needs to be structured in the CWx space Timeline/Projects are stacked together Work-life balance is hard to achieve here

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Associates - Poor Leadership

Apr 5, 2021 - Associate Consultant in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've enjoyed working at Cerner for the most part. I was able to get my foot in the door as a consultant and continue to develop my skillset as a consultant. The ability to transition to working remote has been seamless and I was able to relocate from KC and become a "virtual associate". I've worked with tons of fantastic people who I've learned a lot from and many who have become some of my best friends.

Cons

One of the main downsides for me has been the lack of incentive to perform well or go above and beyond for my clients. You will not be compensated for outperforming peers or great client and team member feedback. After two years of pathetic 2-3% raises my entire segment received a 7.5% pay cut. Cerner claims to "value" its' associates but throughout my entire time here I've seen zero evidence of that. Leadership puts on a front about how the company is about transforming healthcare, but throughout my time it feels as though leadership only cares about squeezing the company for all it's worth. Cerner has a reputation of hiring college graduates and burning through them in a couple of years once they find something better. This reputation is well earned, because there is little to no incentive to stay at this company unless you'd like to slowly crawl up the later.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Decent company to work for

May 5, 2021 - Senior Delivery Consultant in Shelton, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, great co-workers, decent pay.

Cons

Can be difficult to move up.

6. 4.0

Consultant

May 5, 2021 - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

a lot of travel opportunities and gaining frequent traveler points as a bonus

Cons

sometimes the pay doesn't feel adequate to the job and how much you do

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company; Recommend

Apr 28, 2021 - Interface Engineer in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great first-step into Corporate out of college; verbose training and available resources to achieve proficiency

Cons

Lacks effective ways to mitigate corporate politics from seeping into organizations. Very corporate and hierarchical.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good work life balance and team leads that respect you.

May 4, 2021 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance and team leads that respect you.

Cons

Same day to day work.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not as great as it once was

Mar 31, 2021 - Lead Technical Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you end up on the right team, Cerner is a good company to work for. Compensation is fair for the KC area, and it is respected in its field. What we do makes a difference in the world and it's great to be a part of helping hospitals serve their communities.

Cons

On Commercial side, customer base is slowly shrinking, and board is focused on cutting margins, so people leaving workforce aren't replaced. More and more work is done by fewer and fewer people. If you end up on the wrong team, the job can be brutal. The amount of customization (in the name of client support) is intense, so it can take 12+ months to get up to speed in your job

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Fantastic Company To Work For

May 3, 2021 - Team Lead in North Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Annual Review process, pay, lateral/vertical mobility. Senior management is super accessible, free training for almost anything you want to broaden your skills.

Cons

The medical benefits are a bit pricey if you're a relatively healthy person.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,013 Reviews