Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
Cons
  • Although I love going to the client site the work life balance was off (in 176 reviews)

• It can be long hours some weeks especially if you do not know how to manage time or say No (in 134 reviews)

1. "great company with great colleagues"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

nice office, great team great health insurance

Cons

low salary, long hour work

"Great as long as you are not in the medical billing dept."

Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits
    Flex scheduling
    Great company if you aren't in the medical billing dept

Cons

Bad management
    high turnover rate
    it is not equal opportunity
    low pay
    micro managing
    and the list goes on

Advice to Management

Learn how to be leaders and not bullies

3. "Good intentions, poor execution"

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

convenient and affordable health care

Cons

Management was inexperienced and didn't care about the people. Communication and direction were always unclear. I had 2 different roles, 4 different managers, and 5 different desks in 15 months.

5. "Best is behind us"

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Nice campus, good people and successful company

Cons

The CEO is treated like the Emperor New Clothes fable. While he is very, very smart and capable everyone is scared to death of him. The management team has been trained to never question him or his decisions. He has been sick recently but bottom line is the company leadership was clever like their number 1 competitor EPIC. Problem is they are losing to EPIC and living on a bloated client base with limited alternatives. They will continue to take what EPIC does not want as they are clearly the number 2 vendor in the market,

Advice to Management

Find smart objectives people to bring in as Sr managers to compliment the talented people you have now. Once Neal is not available to help there will be a team of great followers who while loyal are not creative types

6. "Great Place learn, but don't stay"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great place for young graduates to gain experience

Cons

No solid company structure or direction

"Technical Solution Analyst"

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Analyst in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facilities you work in are great! You have on site gym, doctors, pharmacy, nutritionist, and cafeteria with reasonable prices. They hire anyone from anywhere! As long as you have a bachelor's you're good. It doesn't matter what your major was or what school you came from. Pay is ok if you're in Kansas city.

Cons

For context, I have a tech degree with 5 years of IT experience prior to working with Cerner and I quit prior to my contract ending.

As soon as you go in you will be thrown in the deep end with little to no training. The "training" you get is simply asking questions as you go which will frustrate you and the clients. A well known fact that is often thrown around is that new employees feel overwhelmed their first few months and have no idea what they are doing until 7-9 months into it (if they haven't been fired yet) which leads me to my next point. The turnover rate at Cerner is high. Yeah, you have people who have been there for years and they may tell you otherwise, but every few weeks we see a group of new employees getting tours of our facilities and new batch of people getting fired. I saw this within my team and on my campus. Most new people I've spoken to want to leave after 6 months but have difficulty leaving. Quitting is harder than it seems specially if you relocated and were given an allowance for it. If you quit before your contract is up (18-24 months) you have to pay back the relocation with taxes which could be an additional 2/5 of what you initially received. I can go on about Kansas City, the open and blunt racism here, and the lack of anything to do. If you are considering working for Cerner please (PLEASE!) consider all of your options.

Advice to Management

Better training might help with turnover rate and more satisfied clients.

8. "Meh"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They light up the workplace

Cons

When the lights go out you keep working

Advice to Management

???

9. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WHQ campus is nice. Great cafeteria.

Cons

Very low pay, tiny raises, lateral moves with NO pay increase. Management is unappreciative of employees. Churn and burn company. How Cerner maintains its "great company to work for" status is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who contribute and are loyal. Get rid of zero pay increases at job transfers. New hires should not make more than an internal transfer to the same position. The required arbitration agreement is awful. Raises should not be denied if you don't sign it.

10. "No work-life balance"

Pros

Vast amount of positions available, Beer Fridays, great training programs and learning available for those who want to learn more

Cons

80 hour work week, 80-100% travel, too many clients per associate, pay could be better for the amount of work that is being done

Advice to Management

Put more time in promoting your top associates

"I paid cash to leave Cerner"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get started if you don’t have IT experience, or have experience but didn’t graduate in an IT field.
    Pay is good for the general experience level they hire. Some prima donnas see the industry pay for System Engineers and think they are getting ripped off, but then are shocked when they can’t find another job. Cerner pays more than you are worth specifically so you will stay with them. (see cons)
    Annual free barbecue.
    Occasional free lunches for WAS admins.
    Overcrowded but free gym.
    Free cell phone w\plan.
    Many great birth benefits including 5 paternity days off.
    On site Healthe Clinic was very convenient for primary care. Mostly free procedures, though limited equipment.
    My manager was awesome! But mileage may vary. Make sure you interview your manager to get a healthy work/life balance ig. will they let you work from home if you’re sick, will they let you leave early to pick up kids or packages.

Cons

Pizza memo days were a long time ago, but that expectation of a 50 hour work week persists from upper management. It’s not written any where but try putting 40 hours on your time sheet and someone will talk to you about it.
    Useless India teams.
    Numerous late night installs and buildouts.
    Time changes- Yes, unbelievably the software is so old it needs to be shut down for an hour at daylight savings. So expect to be in the office during for all time changes for the rest of your time at Cerner.
    Dinosaur proprietary software with poor documentation. If you’re working on a software and get stuck, you just have to find someone who knows that software.
    Documentation is a mess. Very difficult to find information related to your project.
    You pay for better equipment. Want a Mac? You subsidize it. Otherwise it’s a trusty old Lenovo for you.
    Pay increases are meager. Maybe 1% for the average employee. If you eat, breath and live Cerner 24/7 you could get up to a 3% raise. But be warned you will get burned out that way.
    Worst part of the job was Tech Academy aka SEJ. The first day they threaten to fire you if you score less than 80% on their weekly tests. They are testing just Cerner specific knowledge that you learn through the week. If you’re just out of school, this maybe isn’t too bad, but if you had a stable job and you just relocated your family to KC, this is an extremely stress inducing thing. You spend one whole month, 8 hours a day just learning Cerner software. It’s boring beyond belief, and none of your previous experience will help you. They also tell you horror stories of people who were fired for not knowing the answer to the CEO’s questions. Like in an elevator, and not being able to recite the company mission statement. They endeavored to make sure you were constantly on edge about being fired. Probably just hazing, but starting a new job is stressful enough.
    One final note, I paid cash to leave Cerner. They have a relocation stipend but if you leave Cerner before 2 years is up, you have to pay back the 3k stipend plus the 2k in taxes.

Advice to Management

It always makes me laugh when people write stuff in here. The CEO is a multi-millionaire that owns a multi-billion dollar business. He does not care one iota about you or your opinions of his company. Management has been doing things the same way for years and they aren’t going to change now. And why would they? They make billions. They aren’t lurking around on Glassdoor looking for ideas on improving their company.

Showing 237 of 2,089 reviews