Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 128 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 45 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great Company, Poor Upper Management"

Current Employee - Operations Leader in North Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Leader in North Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job if you are just getting out of college. There are many career advancement opportunities as well.

Cons

Associates and mid-level managers are not valued in the RevWorks organization. You are expected to support your clients and associates 24/7 so there is little work-life balance. Upper management uses mid-managers as scapegoats for their poor performance. Mid-managers are often put in a no-win situation. Very high attrition rate.

Advice to Management

Support your mid-level managers and hire associates that are highly motivated to work. Show them all that they are valued and appreciated and they will "shine" for you.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well, travel opportunities (also a con when it's continuous), entry level options available and does offer some job growth possibilities.

Cons

Sink or swim; Cerner will throw you into situations for which you aren't ready for and there's no life saver so you've gotta figure it out quick or get broken by it. Travel (pro and con - when you travel every week for over 10 months in a row it gets old), time (expect you to work really long hours at time though you're salary and they won't pay it forward most of the time), you're easily replaceable and that's someone known to staff, stressful, puts clients ahead of employees often - don't get me wrong they come first but also wish Cerner would stand behind and back up their employee's more instead of letting them take the brunt of client's frustrations. Then it's our responsibility though we can't meet something that's also simply unrealistic and out of scope but leadership won't always back you up.

3. "Exciting time to join. Lots of changes and if you love change and travel.. Join."

Current Employee - Clinical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

90% of the associates are brand new graduates. Cerner's entry level salary is below national average for consultants. Hiring new graduates is "great honour" however the tenured clinical adoption segments does not want an associates without any healthcare experience. These young men and women who joined Cerner employees are not 100% about money. We are here to change lives through technology.

Cons

Training is redundant, too long and doesn't give us enough time to digest all the new jargon. Clinical consultants should have a separate training forum that focuses on us as clinicians as we already aware how hospitals operate.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering a growth opportunity as we all put in many hpurs, leaving family and friends behind. Make a travel statment Mon-Thurday unless absolutely required to travel weekends. Burn out.

"Cerner IT infrastructure Support Experiance"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Walpole, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Walpole, MA

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was nice and appreciated. The work was manageable and while the time spent to accomplish requirements was up there it wasn't quite over the top. I have worked for companies where it was way out of whack to reality. Cerner's work life ratio was demanding but definitely worth it.

Cons

To have an annual review translate into cash you had to sign off that you would not sue them. Why? I thought that was weird. I am not ever looking to sue anyone or business entity. Probably would not be worth it anyway.
    For a Healthcare company the benefits were the most expensive I have ever dealt with and the benefits covered the least. This is the case with many companies now, but please make a better effort.

Advice to Management

Please make a better effort to create a benefits package that is more manageable financially. Back off on being against telecommuting. Just partial telecommuting permission would be a tremendous source of stress release for many employees I am sure.

"Good pay, mediocre environment"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, the facility nice

Cons

Management seems to change priorities a lot, often without considering the practical impact

"Ask for alot of money when you get hired."

Current Employee - Learning Leader
    Current Employee - Learning Leader

I have been working at Cerner (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with nice campus.

Cons

Pay does not increase with responsibility or performance. Ask for a lot of money when getting hired.

Advice to Management

Don't pay new hires more than seasoned high-performing associates.

7. "Good place to start out"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given a lot of responsibility right away. Sink or swim environment forces you to learn a LOT quickly. The skills and knowledge are in high demand and you can learn a lot and leverage this for a higher paying job elsewhere.

Cons

Micro-managing, frequent change of org structure causes confusion, on-call, expectation of long hours.

Advice to Management

Pay people more so they don't want to leave.

"Clean and Current, but very Corporate."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clean, up-to-date campuses, friendly and comfortable work areas, gym, pharmacy, doctor offices, benefits.

Cons

Pay is below the industry standard, and performance evaluations to determine raises are based on the bell curve more than actual performance due to the growing size of the company.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the performance and achievements of the cogs in the machine, and make sure pay is equal across all positions and matches the industry.

"Interesting, but limited"

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great to work with clients around the country to customize their EMR

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement or mobility within the company

"System Engineer"

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It probably depends on the team, but my team always let me grow and learn other skills by taking the classes available at cerner. If I wanted to become a manager, they helped pave the way and meet goals in order to do that.

Cons

Also depends on the team, but poor management is ignored occasionally. On a team with high turnover, it was ignored even though everyone exiting said it was because of poor management.

The pay is pretty bad and pretty rigid. Unless you over excel hard, it's hard to get a good raise.

It was sort of suggested that you work minimum 50-60 hours a week. Sometimes we were there full weekends. After leaving cerner for a job where I work 37.5 hours a week, and my manager asks me why I'm still there at 5:01, I never realized how much my extra time was important.

Advice to Management

Higher level management needs to look at inefficiency in the lower level.

Showing 651 of 2,429 reviews