Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 147 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Must be good at work/life balance to avoid burnout (in 204 reviews)

• You may find yourself working long hours (in 153 reviews)

1. "Conflicted"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, but they promised one thing and changed once I started. Was cheated out of 2 weeks vacation. And changed from Salary to Hourly and pay cut 10% last year

Cons

No leadership. Expected to meet goals that are sometimes impossible, like getting 20 something night shift employees to return for blood pressure checks when they don’t care.
    EMR is not good. They are Employee Health Clinic but wouldn’t put a DOT physical in the system. After 7 pm IT was in India and couldn’t understand them and they couldn’t fix problems.

Advice to Management

Don’t let questionable managers get rid of good people without listening to them. My manager lied all the time and tried to make up discriminatory rules. Get 24 hour IT in US if you service hospitals and clinics 24 hours.

2. "Horrible its not any thing like I imagine it to be"

Current Employee - Medical Billing Specialist
    Current Employee - Medical Billing Specialist

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The crush ice in break room in the flexible scheduling. The dress code also, the gym is pretty nice. That's pretty much it

Cons

My manager the most conniving individual you will ever meet. I'm convinced she's a psychopath, They'll do whatever they can to try to get you out the door. My manager prefers non minority individuals on her team, and will do everything in her power to get you fired or make you quit. They are all in cahoots with one another. They are not advocates for the associates, and there is an extreme amount of favoritism that is the most disgusting company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Please remove the toxic management and look at the pattern if there is a manager that continuously. Tries to remove minorities from her team Or when minorities complain about a manager being racist? I do something about it.! Don't sweep it under the rug I've sent countless emails to HR about the harassment that I have received, and nothing has happened. Poor excuse for a company.

3. "It is a nightmare . avoid it"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wish I would find any but I could not

Cons

Watch out for office politics. They have a weird style of assessment they would tell the best employee is the one who would work within minimum directions. But If you do mistake they would not accept it. Their concept " above and beyond " is to work as a slave for 60-70 hrs a week. even after that you get abused and bullied. There is no bonus at the end of the year and the max salary raise is between 1-2 % for the best achieve only.
    Worth to mention that the end of year appraisal is base on other employees opinion about you so your hard work worth nothing.

Advice to Management

Please understand that people have families and kids. I was nearly going to divorce because of you

"Senior Clinical Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

international corporation. A good place to start a career if you have don't mind putting your life on hold.

Cons

It is expected that you have 80% billable hours, i.e., the actual hours that can be billed to a client. This does not include travel to/from site which may take many hours of flying, etc. In my re-training 8 week session, more than 1/2 of the attendees left within a month of completion as the schedule was to work 12 hour days (not including travel to/from site per day).
    They prefer to hire 80% of all staff directly out of college, so you work with a lot of people who have never held a professional job.
    The 80% standard of billable hours is held against you even when you take vacation. So, management tells staff to "increase your billable hours before/after vacation" so the weekly stats do not raise alarms. Under the 80% rating puts you on a confrontation to be written up, assigned data entry work with long days, or threats of firing.

When I submitted my 2 week resignation notice, HR's only concern was whether I was going to a competitor. I did lose 2 weeks of vacation time since, HR explained, "unfortunately you live in a State that doesn't require us to pay vacation, but we will give you one week."

Advice to Management

It is not reasonable to expect that staff should work 12 hour days and there is no acknowledgement that it may take an additional 3 hours round trip to travel to the site per day. I found so many staff were so over-worked that they were unable to help or respond to a request for assistance.

It was kind of sleezy to withhold my earned vacation pay, just because you are not required to do so.

"Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The cafeteria options are nice.

-There are nice facilities like (ping pong tables, lounges, arcades) you can use if you're in a valued role such as Software Engineering.

-When you log out of the phone, you don't take any work home with you (although by the end of the day you have a headache and feel as though you haven't accomplished anything).

-They are always hiring for this role (high turnover).

Cons

-Management emphasizes the "18 months to change roles", but then implements "freezes" and uses "attrition" as a cop out so you end up there for 2+ years. They also preach that the company is "so huge, you can transfer to any other department"... you are so siloed and chained to your desk that it's impossible to network to even grasp a low-level understanding of what options are out there for you. When it's time to transfer jobs, people take the first thing they see. Lots use this job as a "foot in the door", but you kind of end up stuck or leaving the company altogether.

-A trained orangutan could do this job. You're nothing more than a cog in the machine, and management makes sure you know it.

-If you go more than 1 second over on your lunch or bathroom break, your name goes up in red, as if to shame you. And yes, you have to "hallpass" out for bathroom breaks.

-The next 2 levels after Support Analyst (Senior Support Analyst, Operations Analyst) are STILL jobs where you're tied to the phone.

-Pay is low to begin with and raises are piddling.

-Required to work holidays (Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, New Years...etc.)

-If you apply, make sure the shifts you put down that you're willing to work, is really what you want. Once they assign you a shift, it's very difficult to get that changed.

-Management does not even make eye contact with you or acknowledge your existence as a human unless you're at least a team lead.

-There's no time for any REAL project work, so it's impossible to distinguish yourself amongst your peers. Mostly a popularity contest.

-Low morale across the entire org makes for long days. You never really accomplish anything. The ball resets every day. You're not working toward anything.

-Clients you speak with are extremely disrespectful and assume you work in a prison or only have a 10th grade education (and vocalize this), despite the fact that this role (as do 95% of roles at Cerner, require a Bachelor's).

-They opened a location in Lee's Summit specifically for Support Analysts... with no windows.

Advice to Management

-Replace employees with high functioning primates or dolphins.

6. "Doesn't recommend to anybody"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

offers a good package

Cons

worst management, no growth, salary looks big on CTC but then they deduct a lot every month, no work life balance.

7. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really depends on the team

Cons

do not go to CTS, technical competency isn't really up to par.

Advice to Management

management who came from Sprint is killing the company

8. "Consultant"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Ample career advancement opportunities if you work out of WHQ

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities if you do not work out of WHQ

9. "Hazing. Discrimination"

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

There is no training and management welcomes and encourage team hazing and verbal abuse as well as discrimination against minorities and women

Advice to Management

Let someone that is compentent do your job

"Pathetic managers, less work life balance"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Good infrastructure, some talented teammates

Cons

Most Teams have pathetic managers. No matter how talented you are and how good you are at coding, your success is decided by your manager. Apart from doing your work, you need to try all sorts of show offs to make your manager happy. Else you are criticized and ironically low rated. Also many Teams do legacy stuff and you hardly learn anything new. The pay is low. The managers continuously criticize you and keep finding negatives in your work leaving you with least motivation to work.

Advice to Management

Managers should be anonymously evaluated by team. Cerner should make sure they choose managers through their skills to manage people effectively, support and motivate team members and remain calm in situation of crisis rather than choosing them through experience.

Showing 188 of 2,665 reviews