Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 174 reviews)

• Long hours some weeks, but it isn't anything that young recent college grads shouldn't be willing to work (in 134 reviews)

1. "Meh"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They light up the workplace

Cons

When the lights go out you keep working

Advice to Management

???

2. "its good"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

overall its good, nice brand to work with in healthcare domain

Cons

too much politics and bad for north indians...good for locals

Advice to Management

please dont discriminate people based on region. north south concept shall be removed

3. "Interesting culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment
    Casual office dress
    Breakfast provided
    Great benefits

Cons

Promotions limited ( more about who you know not what you know)
    Executive team not very approachable
    Long hours and poor remuneration for how long you work
    A lot of red tape when dealing with the US
    Late night and early morning conference calls

Advice to Management

Look at improving the culture and gaining trust of employees.
    Boosting morale
    Build team spirit, get people to know each other and create a happy environment.
    Promote people based on merit not on their relationships outside of office hours with management. offer career progression rather than ileave them in the same position for numerous years where they are forced to move elsewhere.

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WHQ campus is nice. Great cafeteria.

Cons

Very low pay, tiny raises, lateral moves with NO pay increase. Management is unappreciative of employees. Churn and burn company. How Cerner maintains its "great company to work for" status is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who contribute and are loyal. Get rid of zero pay increases at job transfers. New hires should not make more than an internal transfer to the same position. The required arbitration agreement is awful. Raises should not be denied if you don't sign it.

6. "No work-life balance"

Pros

Vast amount of positions available, Beer Fridays, great training programs and learning available for those who want to learn more

Cons

80 hour work week, 80-100% travel, too many clients per associate, pay could be better for the amount of work that is being done

Advice to Management

Put more time in promoting your top associates

7. "Solution Designer"

Former Employee - Solution Designer in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Solution Designer in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary for freshers.

Good place for freshers to learn.

Ease work environment.

Good work culture.

Cons

Outdated technology, nothing to learn new.

No consistent appraisal, always looking far goals and loosing track of current goals.

Advice to Management

Recruit only typical new managers those who actually can handle and manage employees.

Don't recruit new Managers those who doesn't value existing Cerner Employees.

Partiality, Politics, do exist - please find the way to tackle mid level managers .

"I paid cash to leave Cerner"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get started if you don’t have IT experience, or have experience but didn’t graduate in an IT field.
    Pay is good for the general experience level they hire. Some prima donnas see the industry pay for System Engineers and think they are getting ripped off, but then are shocked when they can’t find another job. Cerner pays more than you are worth specifically so you will stay with them. (see cons)
    Annual free barbecue.
    Occasional free lunches for WAS admins.
    Overcrowded but free gym.
    Free cell phone w\plan.
    Many great birth benefits including 5 paternity days off.
    On site Healthe Clinic was very convenient for primary care. Mostly free procedures, though limited equipment.
    My manager was awesome! But mileage may vary. Make sure you interview your manager to get a healthy work/life balance ig. will they let you work from home if you’re sick, will they let you leave early to pick up kids or packages.

Cons

Pizza memo days were a long time ago, but that expectation of a 50 hour work week persists from upper management. It’s not written any where but try putting 40 hours on your time sheet and someone will talk to you about it.
    Useless India teams.
    Numerous late night installs and buildouts.
    Time changes- Yes, unbelievably the software is so old it needs to be shut down for an hour at daylight savings. So expect to be in the office during for all time changes for the rest of your time at Cerner.
    Dinosaur proprietary software with poor documentation. If you’re working on a software and get stuck, you just have to find someone who knows that software.
    Documentation is a mess. Very difficult to find information related to your project.
    You pay for better equipment. Want a Mac? You subsidize it. Otherwise it’s a trusty old Lenovo for you.
    Pay increases are meager. Maybe 1% for the average employee. If you eat, breath and live Cerner 24/7 you could get up to a 3% raise. But be warned you will get burned out that way.
    Worst part of the job was Tech Academy aka SEJ. The first day they threaten to fire you if you score less than 80% on their weekly tests. They are testing just Cerner specific knowledge that you learn through the week. If you’re just out of school, this maybe isn’t too bad, but if you had a stable job and you just relocated your family to KC, this is an extremely stress inducing thing. You spend one whole month, 8 hours a day just learning Cerner software. It’s boring beyond belief, and none of your previous experience will help you. They also tell you horror stories of people who were fired for not knowing the answer to the CEO’s questions. Like in an elevator, and not being able to recite the company mission statement. They endeavored to make sure you were constantly on edge about being fired. Probably just hazing, but starting a new job is stressful enough.
    One final note, I paid cash to leave Cerner. They have a relocation stipend but if you leave Cerner before 2 years is up, you have to pay back the 3k stipend plus the 2k in taxes.

Advice to Management

It always makes me laugh when people write stuff in here. The CEO is a multi-millionaire that owns a multi-billion dollar business. He does not care one iota about you or your opinions of his company. Management has been doing things the same way for years and they aren’t going to change now. And why would they? They make billions. They aren’t lurking around on Glassdoor looking for ideas on improving their company.

"Nope."

Former Employee - Senior Learning Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Learning Consultant

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility in terms of schedule
    -Opportunity to move within the company
    -Decent - if not spectacular - benefits
    -Good cafeterias and nice gym - great if you're in KC!

Cons

If you're not in KC or on a Cerner campus, definitely ask a lot of questions before taking the job. While I asked a lot of pointed questions about how the remote team worked together, I didn't get clear answers. Unfortunately, I ignored my gut and took the job instead.

What a mistake.

By the time I got started it was clear that there was no team in place and that my manager was not communicative. Had I been somewhere where I had teammates or even ANYONE to escalate things to, I have a feeling it might have been different. Unfortunately, I was stuck with a non communicative manager who didn't seem to understand Cerner policy (I never even had any goals set for a review) or the clients we were working with, leaving me stuck - sometimes with nothing to do. If you're not a presence on site or on campus, be aware that you really truly are on your own and whatever opportunities exist at the company aren't going to be an option.

Advice to Management

Find a way to weed out your bad managers. Find a way to ensure remote employees (or those who travel heavily) can be part of the culture AND actually have options should things go awry.

"Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Aurora, CO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays decent, and there is lots of room for advancement opportunity. They have an awesome campus-a free gym, clinic, food, Starbucks and childcare. If you drink the coolade you can go far.

Cons

No work/life balance. They work you 50+ hours a week. Also, talking about pay is a fireable offense because there is such a huge discrepancy in compensation. I was hired with years of lab experience using Cerner as a hospital employee, and found out through coworkers I started off 10 grand less than they did (who were hired right out of college). My manager gave us hard times about leaving our desks, even to use the bathroom. We dealt with many angry customers, and I was constantly cursed at, so you need thick skin. Also, the service request queue for each employee was constantly in the 100s, so it is almost impossible to keep up with the work. But all this definitely depends on your managers. I know people who loved it there.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees so queues don't reach such crazy numbers. Pay employees who have experience what they are worth. Be more supportive of a work/life balance. Less middle management.

11. "Cerner"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to figure out what you like

Cons

Lots of marketing groups either doubling efforts or going rogue. Lack of unity

Showing 233 of 2,011 reviews