Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Cerner Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 122 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I love going to the client site the work life balance was off (in 186 reviews)

• You may start off working very long hours (60 (in 137 reviews)

"Technical Solution Analyst"

Former Employee - Technical Solution Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Solution Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner (More than a year)

Pros

team environment, pharmacy and health clinic

Cons

long hours with low salary and no bonuses or overtime

2. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're remotely working in KC 100% of the time, chances are you will have a solid work life balance and get to take advantage of working from home etc. as needed.

Cons

Archaic (and quite poor) management styles run rampant; super political, so if you're not into kissing one or more you know whats then might be in trouble; lots of inept supervisors and directors "leading" important projects and teams; pay scale is average at best; LOTS of outright /pointless meetings are held that take time away from getting actual work done.

2 BIGGEST CONS:

1. Company seemed to adamantly develop then back certain products/services that, to be frank, should have just been axed or re-developed entirely due to lack of stability across end users. The long term impact that has on an associate within such a role is that the work takes a toll on your morale, since prior to beginning any new projects you'd know all along that issues may arise, yet could not disclose this information beforehand. Pretty self-explanatory as to why this is viewed as a "con"
    (disclaimer: none of the above is an assertion of negative or ill-advised intent towards Cerner or any Cerner product/service).

2. Cerner is a HEALTHCARE oriented company, so why is it that the HEALTHCARE insurance that this supposed HEALTHCARE centered company provides its employees so ungodly mediocre in comparison to many other NON-HEALTHCARE based organizations in its class? If you need to venture anywhere outside of their little HealthE centers, the mediocre insurance then becomes outright terrible coverage instead. Yes, these clinics are helpful (if you do manage to get an appointment scheduled in less than 30 days from calling in) Sure, it DOES help as opposed to being uninsured if for some reason a major health crisis were to arise; but for very basic commonalities such as regular prescription refills, or meeting with an external office/physician (I'm talking IN-Network here even just once per month), you're still left with quite a hefty amount to pay out of pocket. Why not provide pristine healthcare coverage to all of the "valued" associates instead? As opposed to implementing services that are slightly above average (at best).

Advice to Management

Get rid of older directors and managers who have been stagnant in their roles. They are cancerous to the growth of the organization. They might put in those extra hours, but there's lots of people who can get the same done in 6-8 hours that some of the older folks probably accomplish in 12+ (hence why they're always there late, yet still not really contributing all that much).

Learn how to pinpoint the folks in lower tier leadership positions that shouldn't actually be there. Demote/fire them.You're paying a lot of director/lead management salaries, etc. to people who not only lack leadership qualifications, but drive out the actual talent pool of (oftentimes underpaid) associates.

Improve the mediocre health insurance provided to employees. Offer more options to associates, subsidize more (if not nearly all) of the healthcare costs, or at the very least lower the threshold to obtain full coverage substantially. Practice what you preach in terms of making healthcare a priority; there are over 20K Associates and their families that rely on these services. It seems rather apparent that a HEALTHCARE company with a true and vested interest in the healthcare community's "systemic improvement" might at some point consider showcasing this internally by first upgrading their ins. options from "ehhh, not bad" to "100% Reflects the Industry we Service". Just some food for thought.

Get rid of "less than stellar" Products/Services entirely or re-develop them! Everything has the potential to be great, but the resources, time and efforts are needed to get things up to speed. As with my advice on health Insurance above, just because you can get away with providing a lower quality product or service doesn't mean you should! Have the integrity to raise the bar at all times, because well it's the RIGHT thing to do.

"Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and pay were really good.

Cons

They never replaced employees that were either fired, quit, or switched to other teams. In one year, I saw my team size shrink from about a dozen people down to 6 people (5 by the time I left). 6 people were handling the workload of what 12 people had previously handled. Team leads are also unreasonable and believe in working harder, not smarter. Don't be surprised to working 11-12 hour days after a few months.

Advice to Management

Hire new employees. It's better to continuously hire new employees fill gaps rather than allow 5 people in a team to quit without replacing anyone.

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkville, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkville, MO

I worked at Cerner (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, bonus, health insurance, continuing education

Cons

No teamwork or collaboration; Very young white male driven organization, little to no leadership

Advice to Management

I don't want to waste my own time giving management advice unless they want to pay for it.

6. "System Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay straight out of college. Made 60k with little to no experience.

Cons

Work - life balance. Management sucks. Management does not take any responsibility. bad training, old technology. Their tech academy is by far the worst training for any company I've come across and the team I was placed on was horrible. They do not train you properly before you get out into the work environment and expect all the world from you. Management is racist as well. Team members give you attitude when you ask for help. I would suggest DO NOT RELOCATE to work here. Worst decision of my life to relocate to the racist 'old mentality' company. Also, my review is dependent on the team. I was placed on a very high level team and was work from 7:30 am to 8 pm (worked through lunch). Most of my friends had it easy but weren't making as much as me.

Advice to Management

Hire real management. My manager was dumping his work on me to do.

"New graduates beware"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're going into consulting right out of college you'll get to work with a lot of people your own age.

Cons

They say that you can "grow a career" here but there is no path if you're ambitious. Promotions are based off a level structure (level 7 is the lowest all the way level 1) a level bump is worth a 1.9% raise. So for a negligible raise you'll be expected to perform at a significantly higher level. Cerner is here to take advantage of new graduates because you don't know any better and you're cheap. Most people leave after 2 years because they realize that the system is designed to hinder you. There is no negotiating period, and if you're intelligent and hard working I highly suggest looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, increase comp to the Industry average. And quit the "bulk and cut" strategy of recruitment, because it's the good people who get weeded out not the bad ones.

"Strictly for kids"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malvern, PA

Pros

They rescued Health Services division from Siemens. At least they understand the business of Healthcare IT.

Cons

Inferior benefits. Cheapskates. Cover-their-butts culture. Too much process, and too many people hired to do process. They promote things as perks that cost employees money, but are really to save Cerner money. They don't appreciate more experienced associates, because they're more expensive. Upper management takes care of their own, but they see associates as throwaways they can replace with rookies from some second-rate midwest colleges. Only young people seem to rate this company well as a "good place to start," but since they have so many, they micromanage the company like a kindergarten, and it's a turn-off for the mature professional.

Advice to Management

Respect the more experienced associates, even if they cost more.

"I have worked for Cerner for 3 years."

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cerner is a fast growing company. There is a lot of flexibility for work life balance, but that's probably more due to the culture of the client that I support.

Cons

Compensation and growth ability is almost non-existent. Treats certain positions as if they are not a factor in their HEFTY contracts.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people on the ground floor of the company that are working face to face with the clients. Stop treating each position as if it is cooked cute and fits into one title with different roles.

10. "No latest technologies used. Some PM's behave as if they are the CEO's, lot of politics which is not shown explicitly."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laptop, Agile methodologies, good for freshers as the pay is good.

Cons

Legacy technologies, lots of processes. Very difficult for lateral entries. Need to unlearn and learn cerner tools which is no where used in the market. Lot of testing for developers.

Advice to Management

If they want to manage they should work at the lowest level for 6 months to know the exact things.

11. "Where your personal life goes to die"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only positive aspect of this place is you can remain confident your manager will screw you before sacrificing you.

Cons

The regret from ignoring the warning signs leeching forth during your interviews and campus visits about the cult like atmosphere designed to pulverize your loyalty and integrity.

Advice to Management

Avoid fleeing to your coffins before sunrise and try skydiving without parachutes since vampires have a 50/50 chance of surviving gravity's indiscriminate judgement.

Showing 160 of 2,279 reviews