Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Cerner Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 122 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I love going to the client site the work life balance was off (in 186 reviews)

• You may start off working very long hours (60 (in 137 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WHQ campus is nice. Great cafeteria.

Cons

Very low pay, tiny raises, lateral moves with NO pay increase. Management is unappreciative of employees. Churn and burn company. How Cerner maintains its "great company to work for" status is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who contribute and are loyal. Get rid of zero pay increases at job transfers. New hires should not make more than an internal transfer to the same position. The required arbitration agreement is awful. Raises should not be denied if you don't sign it.

"I paid cash to leave Cerner"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get started if you don’t have IT experience, or have experience but didn’t graduate in an IT field.
    Pay is good for the general experience level they hire. Some prima donnas see the industry pay for System Engineers and think they are getting ripped off, but then are shocked when they can’t find another job. Cerner pays more than you are worth specifically so you will stay with them. (see cons)
    Annual free barbecue.
    Occasional free lunches for WAS admins.
    Overcrowded but free gym.
    Free cell phone w\plan.
    Many great birth benefits including 5 paternity days off.
    On site Healthe Clinic was very convenient for primary care. Mostly free procedures, though limited equipment.
    My manager was awesome! But mileage may vary. Make sure you interview your manager to get a healthy work/life balance ig. will they let you work from home if you’re sick, will they let you leave early to pick up kids or packages.

Cons

Pizza memo days were a long time ago, but that expectation of a 50 hour work week persists from upper management. It’s not written any where but try putting 40 hours on your time sheet and someone will talk to you about it.
    Useless India teams.
    Numerous late night installs and buildouts.
    Time changes- Yes, unbelievably the software is so old it needs to be shut down for an hour at daylight savings. So expect to be in the office during for all time changes for the rest of your time at Cerner.
    Dinosaur proprietary software with poor documentation. If you’re working on a software and get stuck, you just have to find someone who knows that software.
    Documentation is a mess. Very difficult to find information related to your project.
    You pay for better equipment. Want a Mac? You subsidize it. Otherwise it’s a trusty old Lenovo for you.
    Pay increases are meager. Maybe 1% for the average employee. If you eat, breath and live Cerner 24/7 you could get up to a 3% raise. But be warned you will get burned out that way.
    Worst part of the job was Tech Academy aka SEJ. The first day they threaten to fire you if you score less than 80% on their weekly tests. They are testing just Cerner specific knowledge that you learn through the week. If you’re just out of school, this maybe isn’t too bad, but if you had a stable job and you just relocated your family to KC, this is an extremely stress inducing thing. You spend one whole month, 8 hours a day just learning Cerner software. It’s boring beyond belief, and none of your previous experience will help you. They also tell you horror stories of people who were fired for not knowing the answer to the CEO’s questions. Like in an elevator, and not being able to recite the company mission statement. They endeavored to make sure you were constantly on edge about being fired. Probably just hazing, but starting a new job is stressful enough.
    One final note, I paid cash to leave Cerner. They have a relocation stipend but if you leave Cerner before 2 years is up, you have to pay back the 3k stipend plus the 2k in taxes.

Advice to Management

It always makes me laugh when people write stuff in here. The CEO is a multi-millionaire that owns a multi-billion dollar business. He does not care one iota about you or your opinions of his company. Management has been doing things the same way for years and they aren’t going to change now. And why would they? They make billions. They aren’t lurking around on Glassdoor looking for ideas on improving their company.

"Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Aurora, CO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays decent, and there is lots of room for advancement opportunity. They have an awesome campus-a free gym, clinic, food, Starbucks and childcare. If you drink the coolade you can go far.

Cons

No work/life balance. They work you 50+ hours a week. Also, talking about pay is a fireable offense because there is such a huge discrepancy in compensation. I was hired with years of lab experience using Cerner as a hospital employee, and found out through coworkers I started off 10 grand less than they did (who were hired right out of college). My manager gave us hard times about leaving our desks, even to use the bathroom. We dealt with many angry customers, and I was constantly cursed at, so you need thick skin. Also, the service request queue for each employee was constantly in the 100s, so it is almost impossible to keep up with the work. But all this definitely depends on your managers. I know people who loved it there.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees so queues don't reach such crazy numbers. Pay employees who have experience what they are worth. Be more supportive of a work/life balance. Less middle management.

"Bad Management Will Be Cerners Downfall"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amenities on campus (Gym, Clinics, Cafeteria).

Cons

Management
    Expectations
    Lack of Focus on projects

Advice to Management

If you're going to be management of Cerner. Stop having cliques. People know who you favor and it shows when you slack off on both your duties and theirs. You promote a terrible work environment, then expect others to pick up your slack. This is work, not your frat house.

"AMS/Solution Works analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start. Nice facilities and initially seems like the dream job.

Cons

Look into the many lawsuits that former employees (in Cerner jargon 'Associates') are currently going on in regards to pay. Engineers are not paid even close to other companies, when starting. The company has gottenough too big. Instead of dominating in certain areas, they put their nose into other ventures. As you get older and have been with the company for an extended amount of time, you will slowly be pushed out the door. They can hire and college graduate, work them like slaves (most people are on depression medication), ask for the percentage at the next town hall-obviously they cannot answer, but that is the truth. With Trump being elected, I would worry about all the ACA kickbacks that have been planned in future earnings.

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans, not their badge number. Do not send out consultants to hospitals who are not experienced and make promises that cannot be made. Ensure that hospitals understand their support model. Remote hosted vs. the hospital's own data warehouse. The support is exactly the same, so don't pay all the extra money.

"Better for new hires"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Casual attire, Good entry level opportunities.

Cons

Very young company. Good for college-hires but not for tenured staff.

"Great place to start if you're a new grad. Otherwise, keep scrolling."

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Solid company to start at if you're just hitting the work force. The culture is supportive toward on-boarding early career candidates and training them "how to do XYZ job" very well.

The company is great at event planning (DevCons, Happy Hours) for employees.

If you aren't set on one particular career path and want to move around and try different roles, there's decent opportunity for that. A "plug n play" approach is appreciated.

Cons

An overall culture that refuses to apply common sense, and find ways to work efficiently. Lack of maturity and professionalism.

All internal "promotions" are lateral. You will never be fairly compensated for the knowledge gained on the job if you transfer internally. So, most employees don't stick around long.

People/employees/associates are last priority to management. It shows in terms of poor-to-none communication, complete absence of transparency and inclusion, and "small company" policies.

Ageist.

Advice to Management

Align the organization and culture to fit that of the 20,000+ employees you now have... this isn't a small, "we're all family" company anymore. There are no checks and balances to protect employees. The CEO and executive managers should Not be dictating HR policies and organizational structure. You might be competitive in the industry, but you've got a long way to go in the workforce category.

"Know The Culture Before You Work Here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is really interesting, you will always feel like you are learning, never dull, everyone helps to get the work done, wide experience with programming languages (I used C++, Java, Javascript, CCL, SQL, HTML)

Cons

Biggest downside: FORCED OVERTIME. Had a project that was supposed to last 6 months. Planned that way for almost a year. Told when we started that 6 months was never going to be long enough and to plan to be working 55+ hour weeks for the next half year. In addition to poor planning, raises/promotions are based upon your % overtime attained. 20% is expected (if you aren't working 48 hours a week, your boss will go out of his way to give you more work), 30+% is required to get a decent raise. While it is true that the culture isn't quite the same as in 2001, Google "Cerner CEO Email" to read the rant the CEO sent out to get a decent idea of how they treat their employees. (Find the whole text, it's worth the read)

Next biggest downside: Like most tech companies, managers are just promoted engineers without management training. This means that the "I did all the extra hours, now it's your turn" attitude is rampant. Make sure you do not complain about the hours, or you might get written up for "Not Contributing To The Team."

These things may not be a big deal to you, but I work so I can live my life, not the other way around.

Advice to Management

When you sign employees on at a salary that is already low for 40 hours a week, don't expect much more out of them. Salary means (to me and most people my age) that there will be times that overtime is needed because of issues or the team falling behind, not to cover your bad management and planning.

10. "OK Place to Start"

Current Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good company to start with for recent graduates with opportunities to work with other young professionals and travel the country. Since this is such a huge company, one's work life balance and personal experience will vary greatly depending on what organization and team you're on and who your manager is. You do have the chance to learn valuable skills that can help you make real money outside of Cerner.

Cons

Pay and compensation is dismal. Raises are 2-4% which are not even on pace with the rate at which the cost of living is increasing in Kansas City. When it comes to staffing/resourcing for projects, they just fill open slots with able bodies. They do not take into account prior knowledge or expertise. They will try to give you as much work and responsibility without more compensation or a promotion. Promotions are based off how close you are with upper management on your team rather than your actual work performance. The ones that are smart use Cerner as a stepping stone and then double or triple their earning potential by doing the same work for a third party consulting company or hospital system.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more or you will continue to lose top talent/senior consultants.

11. "Consultant"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Trial by fire type experience that forces you to learn fast and constantly adapt. I went from knowing nothing about healthcare to being able to hold my own in only a couple years.

Cons

As many others have mentioned, don't believe what the recruiters tell you about getting a big pay raise anymore. When you find out someone who you consistently out perform yet started 6 months before you is making $30,000 more than you are simply because the company changed its compensation policy it is beyond frustrating. Promises are made and broken over and over again until finally you learn not to trust what your director is telling you.

Advice to Management

Work to create an environment that actually retains talent. Too many times I've seen the best people leave after they can't handle the pressure being applied to them anymore. Once you prove you are competent work will be piled on you. Those who stay seem to be those who skirt responsibility and really try to fly beneath the radar.

Showing 260 of 2,277 reviews