Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Cerner Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 126 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 45 reviews)

Cons

1. "No latest technologies used. Some PM's behave as if they are the CEO's, lot of politics which is not shown explicitly."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laptop, Agile methodologies, good for freshers as the pay is good.

Cons

Legacy technologies, lots of processes. Very difficult for lateral entries. Need to unlearn and learn cerner tools which is no where used in the market. Lot of testing for developers.

Advice to Management

If they want to manage they should work at the lowest level for 6 months to know the exact things.

2. "Where your personal life goes to die"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only positive aspect of this place is you can remain confident your manager will screw you before sacrificing you.

Cons

The regret from ignoring the warning signs leeching forth during your interviews and campus visits about the cult like atmosphere designed to pulverize your loyalty and integrity.

Advice to Management

Avoid fleeing to your coffins before sunrise and try skydiving without parachutes since vampires have a 50/50 chance of surviving gravity's indiscriminate judgement.

3. "Complete Cluster"

Former Employee - Client Experience in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Client Experience in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Benefits, Travel, Fun Environment, Social

Cons

Zero Communication, Always "reorganizing," Last minute changes, work-life balance, expectations to work outside of work, unqualified employees, poor raises

Advice to Management

Communication is king and it is majorly lacking here. It is a fun environment but there is a major lack of respect from management. Also, favoritism is high and is often given to the undeserving.

"Doesn't live up to the hype"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site clinic and pharmacy. Gym on the first floor of the building if you're at the Campus by the Legends. Working for a company that is really doing some good!

Cons

Benefits package is kind of pricey. The 401k match isn't very good. Management uses the ability to apply for jobs internally after 18 months as a major selling point in interviews, but then doesn't let people apply for jobs once they hit that point because they're "too understaffed". In the last year, I haven't seem them let anyone apply for another position who has been in the role for under 2 years. They try to make it sound like it isn't a call center position in interviews, but it is. You will sit at a desk and answer phone calls for 8-12 hours a day.

Advice to Management

If you aren't going to let people actually apply for jobs after 18 months, quit using this as a selling point in interviews

"working at Cerner is all about which team you are working for"

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. big company in healthcare software IT industry
    2. depending on your time work life balance is pretty good. Though I heard some teams work during weekends and around 60 hours per week. Never happened for me.
    3. healthcare it is ever growing industry, if you get a good team you will learn a lot.
    4. health benifits, they have a great gym inside, for employees it's free.

Cons

so many .. so so many.
    1. below avg salary and (though it depends on team but most of the time) annual review is a joke. Lot of time it happens you earn less since you joined because as days passed you pay more tax but your earning is almost/constant.
    2. on-boarding program. I don't know what they do now, but during my time I didn't know before I joined that during on-boarding program/training(proudly Dev-Academy) if you don't get a project you will be fired. This is so terrible for lot of young fresh graduates as they had to sign a contract for rent, maybe buy a car and then have to rollback everything and loose a hell lot of money
    3. Without driving license and own car you will be in terrible situation in KC as the public transport is almost nothing.
    4.This is most important. If you are lucky enough you will get a project or team who works with latest technologies. If you are not then you will be working on Cerner's legacy code base (proudly CCL). Management doesn't care whether you want to continue working on that technology or shift to latest technology. There is no growth in terms of software engineer's career if you fell into CCL pit.
    5. As per policy you can change team after 18 months - again that's a joke and not as simple as that. They have unsaid constraints to that.
    6. Some people who have worked there for past 7-8 years or more thinks themselves they are rule-books and every new joinee should follow them. Well discipline is one thing and this is something else. Office is not a school. Please practice inner peace.
    7. Very less vacations compare to industry standards and not much benefits, no work from home.
    8. Within 1 year of joining you have to visit a cerner supported hospital and offer help to the users (mostly nurses/doctors) for 2/3 days usually. These are like 12/13 hours shift and you have to roam around the hospital and not much resting/sitting. Again it depends on the team lead on that trip. Some leads are crazy, but some are nice people too. morning shifts usually go from 6 to 6 and night shifts usually 7 to 7.

Advice to Management

Be flexible and learn from other leading tech companies. To bring the change be that change yourself.

6. "Security Manager"

Current Employee - Someone in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Someone in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. The benefits with on site medical team is awesome.
    They also have daycare available but it is very expensive.

Cons

Not much documention referencing job duties.
    Too many people unsupervised.
    Smoking is a joke. Employee are finding places to smoke, especially during bad weather

Advice to Management

You don't need armed security officers.
    Get your managers/supervisors engaged.
    I would not recommend Cerner to my colleagues or anyone that asks me.

"Quality of Company"

Former Employee - Client Support Tech II in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Support Tech II in Malvern, PA

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, though limited. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Poor advancement opportunities. Poor communication and leadership skills from management.
    Managers take no responsibility for the performance quality of their employees.
    Managers unwilling to assist employees with work or personal problems.
    Discourages innovation from rank and file employees.
    Promoted age discrimination among employees, no respect for past experiences or knowledge.
    The managers I worked for ignored any suggestions to improve the product or processes from rank & file employees.
    Management had no respect for labor laws with respect to pay issues.
    One size fits all was their response to employee issues.
    Long hours with little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees and clients. Show respect for employees contributions, knowledge, and concerns about their tasks. Offer better paths for advancement. Be more open to innovative ideas from rank and file employees.
    Stop the age discrimination policies that your HR personnel denies that it exists. Myself and several of my former coworkers were affected by this.

"Come for the gym"

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great small onsite gym.
    Covered parking for the lucky few to come in early.
    FSA.
    On site clinic.
    Makes keeping track of your health a priority.
    Green card after year 2.

Cons

Nothing that's related to the job itself is good to write about.
    Grossly underpaid employees who are here because they're not good enough for anywhere else or have MO/KS roots. Everyone who wants a better life/career will leave.

Advice to Management

Come back to the ground and listen to the grunts. The solution to a problem isn't throwing more cheap labor at it.

9. "Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a gym downstairs. That was really nice because I could go there during lunch. There is also a gated parking lot so it's not scary if you have to leave late at night.

Cons

We were so short staffed that we didn't get to even take a breath between phone calls. They started scheduling us on holidays. They denied all vacation requests because we didn't have adequate coverage. Management did not communicate well, and the growth in my career that was promised never happened because they blocked us from applying to any other positions within the company.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees. I guarantee it would go a long way. I had 4 different team leads during my time at Cerner (about 1.5 years). One didn't speak to me at all. The others were no help when they did. One of my team leads even suggested I look at other companies because he was so unhappy in his own position.

"Rapid Hiring and Firing, on-boarding is a screening process to keep the best and get rid of the rest"

Former Employee - Academy Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Academy Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will find many smart people here, my mentors were both architects and it was a great learning experience short time working with them.

Cons

Uncertainty of employment especially if you are hired just out of college or with less than 2 years of experience.
    The Dev Academy (Dev Center in particular) is a screening process (They refer to it as on-boarding process) to keep the best and get rid of the rest and your success over there depends on your mentors and how high their expectations are.

Dev Academy (on-boarding process): If you want to hire someone and want to see if that person is a good fit there is something called internship program where you can employ them for like 3 to 6 months and see if they are a good fit (I believe Cerner also has Internship programs), but doing all that after offering a full-time job and Firing after just 2 months after joining if you don't see a good fit is not a good idea.

Especially when many employees who join Dev Academy are fresh out of college and this is their first job ever (for most of them), in case if you care about your employees this will be a big black mark on their careers, demotivating and also decreases their confidence levels a lot.

Advice to Management

Managers in Dev Academy don't care about what we say so I think this section is of little use.

Showing 163 of 2,336 reviews