Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Cerner Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 126 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 45 reviews)

Cons

"It Went Downhill Fast...Innovation Kids"

Current Employee - Early Childhood Teacher in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Early Childhood Teacher in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 4 day work week, 10 hours a day
    -There are SOME level headed, normal people here.
    -The kids and families are really nice

Cons

Where do I start.....I posted a review around the time when I first started. It was good review, I could really see myself staying with the company, however in just a matter of years so many things have changed.

-Management is less than stellar. The current manager, and most of the team leads are under qualified and shouldn't be in their position. There is maybe 1 or 2 that I approve of...neither of which are my team lead. Team leads can be rude and hateful to you. The attitudes that are projected from the team leads is often inappropriate.

-There is no accountability. People pretty much do whatever they want around here and nothing is said to them. The good people are quickly leaving because of this environment. Leadership knows morale is down (like...way way down) yet they are ignoring the issue at hand which is accountability. It's frustrating for the people who do the right thing all the time to see their coworkers constantly messing around and just not doing their job.

-The teachers......half of the teachers here shouldn't be working here. I would say half the teachers on my team do not have the kids best interest at heart. There are teachers who are just mean to children; they yell, threaten, complain about them, call them bad names to other teachers, ect...the list could go on and on. There are teachers who spend naptime talking on their cell phones, and there are teachers who constantly leave the classroom to go wander around the building. Some teachers have power issues and don't like the idea of having a co-teaching team. We do not have leads and assistants at Innovation Kids, and for some teachers that doesn't work. Some treat their co-teachers like slaves and talk down to them. Issues like these are never addressed and once again shows the unprofessional workplace that is Innovation Kids.

-Safety: This kind of ties in with the point I made above, but safety is not a concern at Innovation Kids at all. Teachers don't take the time to count the children to make sure they have them all, so kids are constantly getting left in places they shouldn't be...ex: on the playground, alone in classrooms, ect. With old management (2+ years ago) there was a standard that if a child was left somewhere and you didn't know where they were, you were let go. Our job as teachers isn't really that hard. We have several systems in place to help us know how many children we should have, so leaving them behind is not excusable. People aren't being fired or written up because they are afraid to lose a teacher. Which brings me to my next point.....

-Ratios: Kids get moved everyday here. We are so short on teachers that kids are always getting moved around. Lots of teachers are working alone, and their coteacher gets sent somewhere else in the building. This happens every single day. People are leaving because of the environment, and pretty much every person that has left was an amazing teacher. The ones who are leaving are the good ones, and the ones that shouldn't be allowed within 10 feet of a child are the ones staying. Another reason teachers are leaving is pay.

-Pay: we are the lowest of the low on the totem pole. Cerner interns at the campuses get paid more than we do. They pretty much keep everyone around the same pay, and depending on which team you are on, you will never get a rating better than "highly valued"....which isn't as good as it sounds. For the most part everyone is around $30,000 give or take just a little. Yes, it's more than what I was making before I came here, but at the same time for all that we are expected to do, and that strain that is put on us, it isn't a whole lot. They also don't stagger the pay for classroom teachers and floats. So for those in a classroom working their butts off making lesson plans, working on DRDPs, ect, they are getting the same pay as those who do nothing but come in and float on the classroom teacher's day off. It's rather unfair that they have so many less duties and get paid around the same thing.

-Classroom Supplies: I work for a company that literally just bought another company just a matter of months ago. And yet, as teachers, we are often denied classroom supplies that we request. We are often only given .50 t0 $1 per kid for mothers/fathers/Christmas gifts. This leaves teachers paying out of pocket for other supplies.

-Last bullet: Cerner branded our building as a Montessori School. We are the furthest thing from a Montessori school. It's kind of a joke.

Advice to Management

Look at all of the above. Wipe out pretty much all of leadership, and half of the teachers in the building. I feel like a lot of what goes on here gets covered up by leadership, well, I'm sick of it. This place is nothing but a suffocating strain on the good teachers here. This place is slowly caving in on itself and I just hope to get out before it completely collapses.

"Short sighted sweat shop"

Former Employee - Investor Relations in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Investor Relations in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They are a fast growing company
    - Some employees are well paid, although there is an INCREDIBLE disparity in salary, which is why discussing salary at Cerner is a fireable offense
    - Decent campus

Cons

- Terrible pay. Left after 1.5 years and make 60% more (MBA, CFA)
    - They don't care about your skills, just that you can do repetitive tasks for them
    - Lots of outsourcing to India for dev and architect activities. Leads to miscommunication, poor execution, bad products
    - They treat their employees terribly (HR doesn't even actively track turnover, although it is estimated at 20-30%)
    - Only company in Kansas City with on staff therapists for employees
    - Anxiety prescriptions are handed out at double and triple KC averages for Cerner employees
    - No work life balance - wife also worked here, regularly cried in the bathroom with several other girls because of lack of support from management or team when clients would become verbally abusive and angry. Her manager was demoted and set on a performance plan, but this took over two years and was long after we had told them to pound sand.
    - Little room for fast advancement (everyone gets promoted, just wait 18 months)
    - Not a high level of talent or intellect as the smartest employees leave for greener pastures and the older employees are hardly ever fired despite incompetence and lack of technical skill

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Pay people more fairly. Quit rushing half made healthcare IT solutions out the door and then making your employees clean up the mess. Neal, I worked with you personally and you're a genius but you're also kind of a jerk.

"Cultish Culture. Don't Drink The Kool Aid"

Former Employee - Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most coworkers are great unless they are put in a position that requires them to CYA and you are in the cross hairs. Being around exciting new medical technology is fun.

Cons

Most projects are run so quickly with resources that have limited knowledge due to extreme resource constraints that I am shocked there have been so few negative patient outcomes. I'm sure this miracle is due to the diligence of the caring and watchful doctors and nurses. This company does not care about you! They want you to work 50-60 hours every week, travel 85% of the time AND be healthy. Most traveling consultants get Friday's off; not here, you are still expected to work a full day even though you may have already logged over 50 billable hours for the week. Forget having life.

Advice to Management

Employees are VALUABLE assets. Treat them that way. Hire more experienced associates and diversify the senior management team. Take time to adequately train associates. VALUE their feedback. They are on the front lines daily. RESPECT honesty rather than associates towing the party line for fear of getting fired. GET RID of the stupid, waste of time, all about Neal Town Hall meeting where everyone is scared to death they will be asked a question. Associates are literally herded like cattle, held HOSTAGE for 3 hours and are not allowed to utter one peep unless spoken to; it reminds me of something Hitler would have done. Neal Patterson is not an engaging speaker. The event is complete torture.

"Manager of Engineering"

Former Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

None, location is ok but traffic is horrible, people are great, free beer every once in a while

Cons

Long hours, early mornings, late nights, constant firefighting, no time to investigate constraints and control WIP

Advice to Management

Retire

5. "No"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner (More than a year)

Pros

No pros at all, none.

Cons

Unsupportive of military going on active duty

"Cerner is a vampire that will drain you of your life"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck. You get "benefits" that every other company offers, like health insurance and the like. In the "pro" department it's just like every other job.

Cons

Direct quote from my manager: "48 hours is the minimum for level 7. For level 6 it's 55 hours. For level 5, it's 65 hours. It's your choice whether or not you want to advance". Working for Cerner was soul crushing sadness that ruined the better part of my 20's. My director used the words "burn and churn" when he described engineering hiring. There is no work/life balance. The raises and career advancement come at immeasurable personal cost. You will not be happy here.

Advice to Management

Say "no" to the unreasonable demands of the C-suite. Just say no. No is no.

"Do NOT work here (unless you're family)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are good at mingling, networking and brown-nosing, you could EASILY cheat your way to a better career.

Cons

Hard work will not do anything for you here. Who you know, who you are friends/family with, what team you're on are the only factors that determine your outcome here. This place is like a vampire as the life is sucked out of its employees.

For instance, there is an entire family that works here, and they are surprisingly all on the same team with two of them in senior management and the others as their direct reports. This would be considered a conflict of interest, but no one gives a sh-- about that. As anyone can guess, senior management and CEOs all have family members and friends working here. One person paved the way for many others to bask under their wings.

Advice to Management

Reward hard working people with respective bonuses, instead of handing them out to friends and family. Is it any wonder why the turnover rate is so high and costing the company millions of dollars every year?
    Oh yes, LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!!!

8. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Big company to allure you.

Cons

Many!!!

- Poor work-work-work-work-work-work-work-work-work-life balance.
    - Manager with no technical knowledge asking you to complete some project which may take 2 weeks or so within a week.
    - 48 hours work per week minimum is there unwritten rule. I don't know if this is legal.

Advice to Management

Instead

"Cerner is run like a cult."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. Time is squandered. The management have one job function: work politics.

Cons

Provided you are incompetent, ignorant and unable to produce the goods, you will thrive at Cerner. It's run like a cult.

"not a employe friendly"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you ll know strict and best SD practices

Cons

racist, no proper management, heavy work for even least level resource expect an expert level performance even from entry level. least salary for the work. not an employe friendly.lots of politics with in teams.

Showing 163 of 2,338 reviews