Cerner Reviews | Glassdoor

Cerner Reviews

Updated January 15, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Must be good at work/life balance to avoid burnout (in 207 reviews)

• You may start off working very long hours (60 (in 154 reviews)

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

I met some really cool people here and made some good friends. The benefits were pretty good and they have a gym, doctors, and cafeteria all on campus. That made it a little convenient. You also get to travel.

Cons

So many cons.
    1. Unimaginable hours for the little pay. They give you a laptop and phone to make sure you are on 24/7 - literally. I was receiving emails throughout the night at 3am, 7am - you name it and expected to respond. They have a
    2. The traveling gets very time and energy consuming - making work life balance even more difficult.
    3. Be careful what teams you join and who you work with. I cannot emphasize this enough. Many times in a big company you can't choose who you work with, but be aware you may be stuck with a bully and no one will help you out. I experienced somewhat a nightmare. Cerner recently developed a preceptor program and mentorship idea for new associates. However, my preceptor was never available. The person who was my "mentor" was a terrible degrading "bully" to put it nicely. Everyone on the team was too busy with their own projects to give me the light of day when I reached out for help. I will say you can meet really great people here, but you can also meet the worst.
    4. The training program (academy) is nowhere near what it needs to be to make new associates ready and comfortable to be client facing.
    5. It's a dog eats dog world at Cerner. Some people have good experiences where they can collaborate and learn. Others don't have that luck sadly.

Advice to Management

Pay more for the work you are making associates do. Make the compensation worth it.

"did you drink the kool aid?"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent people
    Convenient cafeteria/gym
    The company as a whole continues to grow

Cons

No bonuses and very few incentives
    Everyone competes to be the busiest, but few are very productive
    Organic structure makes it difficult to get answers
    Recent salary/hourly split of teams has caused a divide
    Work is feast or famine and varies greatly by team
    It is difficult to make big change/improvement

3. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning and training on the job is great, if you like to travel this is also a great opportunity. Involvement in real private and public healthcare EHR platform intergration is strong.

Cons

If you want to join a company for the long term this may not be the best opportunity. Organization does not practice upward mobility. If you are serving in a role much higher than your title, the basis for promotion is based on years with the company and not work completed. Company also controls which hotels or airlines you can travel on. This is more on the engagement leadership side, they have a huge entitlement issue especially the younger ELs.

Advice to Management

Promote people who do the work, this is not the 60s anymore where you need to work for an organization for 10 years before being promoted to the level you are working at. This in my opinion is the reason so much talent leaves after 2 years.

"Not a stable place to work especially if you have a family"

Current Employee - Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was recruited so I didn't really get involved with that process.

When I first started they provided up to 12 weeks sick time but that ended when they purchased Siemen's. Not that I ever used it but it was a great benefit. If you live in Kansas City they are lot more benefits vs working remote- on campus clinics, chiropractor, gyms etc. The insurance is run of the mill but they have some nice add-on's except for the HSA (that is terrible).

Technology wise they're fairly up to date as far as providing for the employees.

Cons

I don't want to come across as a disgruntled employee but I was told before I took this job it was a bad idea. They were right. I've never worked at a place where I never seemed to fit but now I have. It's constant chaos. The turnover is terrible, at least the area, I was associated with. I tended to work with the FirstNet consultants and over a four year span it was like a revolving door. As of writing this of the 20-30 that I started with only about 5 remain. They're hiring fresh college graduates and work them to death and never bat an eye when they leave.

I've never seen a company where the normal process, if there's a problem with work performance, was to contact that persons manager, instead of going directly to the employee. There's a culture of constant back biting. I watch these college graduates just get eaten alive on a regular basis.

They seem to be constantly "reorganizing". When I showed up for work on the first day, the people I interviewed with couldn't be found. I was transferred to a different org three times in the first three months. I had 4 managers in the first six months alone. This is the chaos they create. There never seems to be stability

They're real big on making sure you're "billable" and I understand that. However, if you spend 10 hours travelling to a site they still expect you to bill for an 8 hour day. If you take 8 hours of PTO they expect you to bill an extra 8 hours to cover the PTO time.

One of the reviewers mentioned their target employees are college graduates and I would agree. As a family man, whose family is dependent upon me, I could not recommend this company. I would say if you're a college graduate, with no cares, then it would a good company to learn the trade and then move to a more stable environment.

5. "great company with great colleagues"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

nice office, great team great health insurance

Cons

low salary, long hour work

"Great as long as you are not in the medical billing dept."

Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits
    Flex scheduling
    Great company if you aren't in the medical billing dept

Cons

Bad management
    high turnover rate
    it is not equal opportunity
    low pay
    micro managing
    and the list goes on

Advice to Management

Learn how to be leaders and not bullies

"Good intentions, poor execution"

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

convenient and affordable health care

Cons

Management was inexperienced and didn't care about the people. Communication and direction were always unclear. I had 2 different roles, 4 different managers, and 5 different desks in 15 months.

8. "Best is behind us"

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Nice campus, good people and successful company

Cons

The CEO is treated like the Emperor New Clothes fable. While he is very, very smart and capable everyone is scared to death of him. The management team has been trained to never question him or his decisions. He has been sick recently but bottom line is the company leadership was clever like their number 1 competitor EPIC. Problem is they are losing to EPIC and living on a bloated client base with limited alternatives. They will continue to take what EPIC does not want as they are clearly the number 2 vendor in the market,

Advice to Management

Find smart objectives people to bring in as Sr managers to compliment the talented people you have now. Once Neal is not available to help there will be a team of great followers who while loyal are not creative types

"Technical Solution Analyst"

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Analyst in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facilities you work in are great! You have on site gym, doctors, pharmacy, nutritionist, and cafeteria with reasonable prices. They hire anyone from anywhere! As long as you have a bachelor's you're good. It doesn't matter what your major was or what school you came from. Pay is ok if you're in Kansas city.

Cons

For context, I have a tech degree with 5 years of IT experience prior to working with Cerner and I quit prior to my contract ending.

As soon as you go in you will be thrown in the deep end with little to no training. The "training" you get is simply asking questions as you go which will frustrate you and the clients. A well known fact that is often thrown around is that new employees feel overwhelmed their first few months and have no idea what they are doing until 7-9 months into it (if they haven't been fired yet) which leads me to my next point. The turnover rate at Cerner is high. Yeah, you have people who have been there for years and they may tell you otherwise, but every few weeks we see a group of new employees getting tours of our facilities and new batch of people getting fired. I saw this within my team and on my campus. Most new people I've spoken to want to leave after 6 months but have difficulty leaving. Quitting is harder than it seems specially if you relocated and were given an allowance for it. If you quit before your contract is up (18-24 months) you have to pay back the relocation with taxes which could be an additional 2/5 of what you initially received. I can go on about Kansas City, the open and blunt racism here, and the lack of anything to do. If you are considering working for Cerner please (PLEASE!) consider all of your options.

Advice to Management

Better training might help with turnover rate and more satisfied clients.

10. "Great Place learn, but don't stay"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great place for young graduates to gain experience

Cons

No solid company structure or direction

Showing 296 of 2,718 reviews