Cerner Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance for my team is great (in 128 reviews)

• Pretty good place to start a career (in 45 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great corporate culture if you're in Kansas City area"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture and quaility of life offerings to associates located near the headwuarters

Cons

Very limited offerings of additional benefits if you are a remote associate outside the KC area

"Good pay, mediocre environment"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, the facility nice

Cons

Management seems to change priorities a lot, often without considering the practical impact

"Cerner IT infrastructure Support Experiance"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Walpole, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Walpole, MA

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was nice and appreciated. The work was manageable and while the time spent to accomplish requirements was up there it wasn't quite over the top. I have worked for companies where it was way out of whack to reality. Cerner's work life ratio was demanding but definitely worth it.

Cons

To have an annual review translate into cash you had to sign off that you would not sue them. Why? I thought that was weird. I am not ever looking to sue anyone or business entity. Probably would not be worth it anyway.
    For a Healthcare company the benefits were the most expensive I have ever dealt with and the benefits covered the least. This is the case with many companies now, but please make a better effort.

Advice to Management

Please make a better effort to create a benefits package that is more manageable financially. Back off on being against telecommuting. Just partial telecommuting permission would be a tremendous source of stress release for many employees I am sure.

"Clean and Current, but very Corporate."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clean, up-to-date campuses, friendly and comfortable work areas, gym, pharmacy, doctor offices, benefits.

Cons

Pay is below the industry standard, and performance evaluations to determine raises are based on the bell curve more than actual performance due to the growing size of the company.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the performance and achievements of the cogs in the machine, and make sure pay is equal across all positions and matches the industry.

"Good People bad fit"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer V in Walpole, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer V in Walpole, MA

I worked at Cerner (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, had success with the group I worked with which was acknowledged and appreciated.

Cons

Benefits, healthcare was the most expensive I ever had to pay and covered the least.
    Supported an ATOS contract with Siemens, our group did not fit.

Advice to Management

Fix the broken benefits package.

"Prepare for abysmal work\life balance as system engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, 401k, being able to work from home if needed, good place to start a career in IT, pays for relocation

Cons

Be expected to work at least 48 a week; so much work that you can easily drown and fall behind; job gives me an insane amount of stress and anxiety; Cerner processes are overwhelming including change management; too many instances where I have to do work on the weekend or late night; work\life balance as an system engineer under Client operations is completely abysmal

"Socialism"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Things can be good if you land on the right team. This is a good company if you want to make a decent salary whilst being mediocre.

Cons

Politics are more important than performance. There's are little to no merit based incentive. You are primarily valued by how long you stay with the company. Technoligy is heavily outdated and you won't be valuable outside of Cerner solutions.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention and making employees happy. Rip apart the millennium and rebuild from nothing. It will collapse.

8. "A Place to Start"

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start your career.

Cons

Long work hours every week. Your life will become Cerner.

"I paid cash to leave Cerner"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get started if you don’t have IT experience, or have experience but didn’t graduate in an IT field.
    Pay is good for the general experience level they hire. Some prima donnas see the industry pay for System Engineers and think they are getting ripped off, but then are shocked when they can’t find another job. Cerner pays more than you are worth specifically so you will stay with them. (see cons)
    Annual free barbecue.
    Occasional free lunches for WAS admins.
    Overcrowded but free gym.
    Free cell phone w\plan.
    Many great birth benefits including 5 paternity days off.
    On site Healthe Clinic was very convenient for primary care. Mostly free procedures, though limited equipment.
    My manager was awesome! But mileage may vary. Make sure you interview your manager to get a healthy work/life balance ig. will they let you work from home if you’re sick, will they let you leave early to pick up kids or packages.

Cons

Pizza memo days were a long time ago, but that expectation of a 50 hour work week persists from upper management. It’s not written any where but try putting 40 hours on your time sheet and someone will talk to you about it.
    Useless India teams.
    Numerous late night installs and buildouts.
    Time changes- Yes, unbelievably the software is so old it needs to be shut down for an hour at daylight savings. So expect to be in the office during for all time changes for the rest of your time at Cerner.
    Dinosaur proprietary software with poor documentation. If you’re working on a software and get stuck, you just have to find someone who knows that software.
    Documentation is a mess. Very difficult to find information related to your project.
    You pay for better equipment. Want a Mac? You subsidize it. Otherwise it’s a trusty old Lenovo for you.
    Pay increases are meager. Maybe 1% for the average employee. If you eat, breath and live Cerner 24/7 you could get up to a 3% raise. But be warned you will get burned out that way.
    Worst part of the job was Tech Academy aka SEJ. The first day they threaten to fire you if you score less than 80% on their weekly tests. They are testing just Cerner specific knowledge that you learn through the week. If you’re just out of school, this maybe isn’t too bad, but if you had a stable job and you just relocated your family to KC, this is an extremely stress inducing thing. You spend one whole month, 8 hours a day just learning Cerner software. It’s boring beyond belief, and none of your previous experience will help you. They also tell you horror stories of people who were fired for not knowing the answer to the CEO’s questions. Like in an elevator, and not being able to recite the company mission statement. They endeavored to make sure you were constantly on edge about being fired. Probably just hazing, but starting a new job is stressful enough.
    One final note, I paid cash to leave Cerner. They have a relocation stipend but if you leave Cerner before 2 years is up, you have to pay back the 3k stipend plus the 2k in taxes.

Advice to Management

It always makes me laugh when people write stuff in here. The CEO is a multi-millionaire that owns a multi-billion dollar business. He does not care one iota about you or your opinions of his company. Management has been doing things the same way for years and they aren’t going to change now. And why would they? They make billions. They aren’t lurking around on Glassdoor looking for ideas on improving their company.

10. "System engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good place to start a career

Cons

None I can think of.