Certified Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Steven Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great place to work if you're willing to start and end a career here (in 3 reviews)

• Always willing to help and guide you along (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck reaching every area in under two years unless you come in on your off days after working 10-12 (in 3 reviews)

• No chance at a life outside of work (in 3 reviews)

1. "NotDisclosed"

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time

Pros

Flexible, friendly staff, good 401k.

Cons

the pay is not so great

2. "Be VERY careful when applying here!"

I worked at Certified Laboratories full-time

Pros

The benefits are very good and employer pays 80% if you are only insuring yourself. I believe its 60% if you are insuring family members. The 401K is a match up to 5% which is unheard of and its like free money. Overtime is always available and kind of expected (which is a pro and a con ).

Cons

There is so much work and only so many people to do it. They refuse to hire more people. They expect Certified Laboratories to become your life and if it doesn't you are forced out. (I was fired while I was on FMLA, for example) Management does not know how to work well with others and then they like to take credit for work that you did. A good manager gives credit to the whole department. There is so much work to do so overtime is expected and God forbid you cannot work on a Saturday! There are hardly any holidays and if you work in lab, then forget about getting any of those. They treat you like crap and expect you to just bow down and take it. There is no room for advancement no matter what you do! The owner is extremely rude and doesn't care about his bottom line, NO EXCUSES!!! He wants everyone to work every day 12 hours a day but he is hardly ever there. Please be very very careful when applying to this place!

Certified Laboratories Response

Oct 9, 2017

Individuals who are serious about their careers and want to make a difference in their world are given that opportunity at Certified. We do expect a great deal from employees and in return we offer... More

3. "It's a good starting job"

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays off, 401K plan, very diverse workplace, yearly raises

Cons

Personally I think the salaries are low and raises are small, sometimes management outs clients way before employees making employees jump through hoops to get tasks done

4. "Micro Associate 1 (Overnight)"

I worked at Certified Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that become your family
    The family that becomes your people

Cons

The hours that become your nightmare
    The nightmare that becomes your hours
         Although things can become sloppy in the Micro department, you can always count on the presidential personalities of your peers to lift you up and make it till 2 or 3 am 5 days a week (some weeks). The people there are tremendous, huge, great friendships. The management is doing the best, okay, quite great if you ask me. It seems like they could use another management position filled that they have been promising to fill since before the 6.5 months I've been there. Other departments complain about the micro department, un-rightfully, seems like a witch hunt. Probably one of the biggest witch hunts in science history, honestly. We work 11-12 hours a night constantly, and they seem to think we deserve the same amount of break time as them (8 hours or less a day). Sad! Although the new building is huge, and a beautiful building, really nice, it seems like a factory in the labs. Black and white walls and tables. Chairs are sometimes different colors. Honestly a nicer touch. Updating equipment is needed.

Advice to Management

The micro department is the busiest department in the whole lab. Lower turn over rate by hiring more, and paying more. We are degree holders making not nearly enough to stay alive. Also, the Health savings Account, I believe, is a tremendous disaster. Make moving up the later easier, and add some morning shifts. Maybe create ambassador positions for inter-department communications to relieve the work of the short staffed management.

5. "Great Improvements"

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has made a lot of great changes and the changes have made a big difference in the morale of the department. Communication has gotten better and management is listening to our suggestions. My coworkers are great, everyone is dedicated and willing to help you when needed and I'm learning a lot.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover because the pay is low but we now have the career ladders that enable us to earn more money as we become more proficient at our jobs.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better and people will stay

6. "An OK starter job. Absolutely no long term future with the company."

Current Employee - Technician in Plainview, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in Plainview, NY

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the department you start in, you will learn a few things.

Cons

Employees are overworked and severely underpaid

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly. Pay attention to safety. Be professional.

7. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Pros

Nice Co-workers
    Nice new laboratory
    Well equipped labs

Cons

No job growth
    Poor Management
    Unethical working environment
    Supervisors and managers lack of education and training

Advice to Management

Please provide training to your management and start hiring people with degrees for supervisors.

8. "Microbiology Tech"

Former Employee - Microbiology Technician in Plainview, NY
    Former Employee - Microbiology Technician in Plainview, NY

I worked at Certified Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job in the field and it's a great place to start a career, there's definitely a lot to learn and most people are happy to teach you if you ask. It is high volume so there is always something to do.

Cons

The hours are tough and over time is nice, but you can be there really late especially during the summer which is their busy season. You also have to work every other weekend, but it's not terrible and its usually pretty quiet.

9. "The Life of a Microbiology Lab Tech"

Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Technician in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Technician in Melville, NY

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers become as close as family.
    401K match
    Health and dental insurance

Cons

Too much work done by too little staff. Work comes in when shift is supposed to be over so you cant leave until its done.

Lack of management. you have lead technicians, supervisor, and analyst doing the job of a manager while trying to handle their own jobs as well. The leads are busy with special projects and calibrating equipment that they don't have a chance to actually lead.

No chance at promotion. Promotions are based on knowledge of the different work areas which you reach on a rotation cycle. Good luck reaching every area in under two years unless you come in on your off days after working 10-12+ hour days every day. The best chance you have of promotion is if everyone leaves (again) and you get put on a leadership track.

Hours get old, fast. Its one thing to say hours are 2-10:30 or 3-11:30 and have to work until close, but when close is routinely 2am it is clear there is an issue. There are less then 5 times in the past year that everyone was done on time and left the building with less then 15 minutes of overtime. And those days were holidays where most clients didn't send samples in.

No chance at a life outside of work. If I go in at 2 or 3, leave at 2, travel for a half hour each way, I have just enough time to sleep, shower, cook and come right back. When you see every other department and staff leave on time after their shift ends it is disappointing to see you drew the short straw.

Advice to Management

Promotions are a thing that need to be obtainable.
    If everyone in a department has 20+ hour of overtime on a paycheck, you may need to hire more staff.
    If a manager spot is vacant for more then a year, maybe consider promoting within.
    Stop accepting new clients if we can barely handle the current ones.
    Order new equipment. You have a new building yet have incubators, fridges, and machines from the 70's and 80's that are failing.

Certified Laboratories Response

Mar 9, 2017

Before I address the concerns you wrote about I would first like to say thank-you for acknowledging our wonderful benefits and our family-like work environment.

Now I would like to address your... More

"Good for People with No Experience."

Current Employee - Lab Associate in Plainview, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Associate in Plainview, NY

I have been working at Certified Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you wanted overtime you could work it.

Cons

Forced overtime, building conditions before move were terrible, poor practices in terms of record keeping and testing, pay, revolving door of management and staff.

Advice to Management

N/A