Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Irasema Salcido

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Chavez Schools challenges and inspires students and staff."

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of Chavez Schools inspires me. The opportunity to encourage students to be the change they seek in the world is why I do this work. Our team is working hard every day to improve and build the opportunities for our students.

Cons

Like many urban public schools, Chavez Schools, experiences turnover of staff and that is a tremendous challenge to our ability to grow and build our academic program. We need more great teachers and staff who are committed to our students.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on continuous growth and improvement. Chavez Schools has a wonderful mission and our students deserve the best.

2. "Hard pass"

Current Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other teachers and non-administrative staff are supportive and kind, the students are curious and can be motivated to work hard, control over lessons and implementing curriculum mostly up to the teacher

Cons

Frankly, the school is up for review and will mostly likely lose its charter or have to close schools/dramatically change everything to stay open. Admin is too busy micromanaging things that aren't important to student culture or staff happiness, pick on petty things and can't read emails before jumping to conclusions or making assumptions. No meaningful feedback, don't read the lesson plans that are submitted weeks in advance and can't speak to the cirriculum because of ignorance and laziness. Expect to come early, stay late, remember that the paycheck is still consistent when you run into a staff member crying in the hallway and being told that getting cursed at and harassed by students is part of the job.

Advice to Management

Worry about the things that matter. Let teaches actually teach and maybe they wouldn't have unionized on you. Provide consequences with the incentives.

Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools Response

Nov 15, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback. We are all working to support the growth of our students. I disagree that the school will lose its charter. As we head into our 20th year, our leadership team is... More

3. "Wonderful Mission; Solidifying Leadership"

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Chavez Schools is one of the longest serving charter schools in Washington, DC. It has an incredible mission that is at the root of its decision making, which gives the organization a 'true north'.

Cons

Chavez Schools has gone through several iterations of leadership changes, but has a promising new CEO.

Advice to Management

3-year leadership contracts for CEO & Principals

Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools Response

Nov 15, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. We are very excited about our new CEO and agree that Chavez is on the right track. Thank you for your dedication to our students.

4. "Has so much potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for scholars to attend college

Cons

Leadership is self absorbed. Does not care about the students or the teachers.

Advice to Management

Learn to effectively lead and communicate with your staff

5. "Teacher"

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

This organization has great competitive pay.

Cons

Lack of structure and discipline for students. The vision of the school is not cohesive across campus and Administration and Home Office are inexperienced in their field.

6. "Good place"

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission, students first culture

Cons

Things change frequently, new initiatives

"too much drama"

Pros

Meaningful work, great kids, nice facilites

Cons

drama drama drama. frequent turnover of faculty and administration. culture of fear.

8. "Poorly run"

I worked at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Salary is comparable to DCPS

Cons

Home office are inconsistent and will sacrifice a teacher's career.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone else take over

9. "Chavez Capitol Hill"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

The school was created to introduce Public Policy to scholars and teach them how to advocate for change in their world.

Cons

The importance of why we are a Public Policy school has been lost over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Re-focus on Public Policy

"Where idealism goes to die"

Pros

Great kids, many wonderful teachers, facilities in decent shape

Cons

It's like working in DCPS with lower pay, longer days, less planning time, no autonomy, stricter dress code, and ZERO job security. Teachers teach 5 70-minute classes a day, plus are required to stand on city streets monitoring student dismissal, up to 4 blks from campus. Because of this, there are no after school activities. The entire system is run by 3 people who dictate every detail to campus administration. Be prepared to be thoroughly disappointed by the Fascist educational executives who denegrate the legacy of Cesar Chavez by disenpowering all the students and staff.

Advice to Management

Quit. You're ruining lives, the teachers', who just want to teach kids the way they know how, and the kids', who need their teachers to stop leaving. People like you are why education needs its own Hypocratic Oath.