Chadwick Martin Bailey Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2018

3.9
Chadwick Martin Bailey CEO  Jim Garrity (no image)
Jim Garrity

"Great choice!"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am fairly new to the organization, but thought I'd share how impressed I am that their culture matches (and exceeds) what I was told during my interview sessions. What a great team CMB has and everyone is genuinely helpful and pleasant. The onboarding experience has been awesome. As soon as I walked through the door I could tell that a lot of team members put thought into what type of exposure and training I should receive. My manager took the time to meet with me first thing in the morning to go over current projects and expectations. Everyone has been super helpful and supportive.

Cons

None that I can think of.

December 12, 2018Director, People Strategy & Development

Thank you for your feedback!

2. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CMB has a lot to offer intelligent, curious and driven people looking for a career in market research and consulting: great colleagues, challenging and rewarding projects, leading clients doing interesting work, an open and non-hierarchical culture, senior management who are sincerely invested in the company and people.

Cons

Professional service and consulting isn't for everyone--flexibility and a sense of humor are as critical as any other hard skills.

December 12, 2018Director, People Strategy & Development

Thank you for your feedback!

"Chadwick is a Solid Work Environment"

4.0

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

There's much to appreciate at CMB, especially when compared to previous employers. CMB is a thoughtfully run company with a great industry reputation. Flexibility is a huge pro when working at CMB, whether it being allowed to work from home, take extended vacations, or exploring other roles within the company. CMB also ensures a social culture in the office (social committee sponsored outings, team building, sponsored happy hours, etc.), which can help make some of the days easier.

Cons

Client needs come first, which can lead to odd hours, as is expected in this industry. However, CMB tries to be aware of employees working a lot or late on a consistent basis. CMB's training program is well-known and intense, so it takes a while for new hires to get up to speed. At times, the youth and lack of work experience among the associates can lead to extra work for others.

September 18, 2017Human Resources Manager

Hearing from someone that can share perspective of CMB compared to other employers is fantastic. We're glad you appreciate some of the things we offer which many other companies don't. It's always good to hear recognition of our unique value. I would be very interested to hear more specifics about your comments regarding the structures here. If you are open to sharing, please reach out to me in HR, a manager, or other senior leader that you are comfortable talking to. Thank you for providing your perspective in your review.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wicked smart people, interesting clients, company gives back to the community. The company places a high value on employees taking leadership roles in lots of things. It might be as simple as leading the social committee to find interesting things for the staff to do. It feels like a big happy family. The company offers employees time to get involved in charitable causes. These sorts of things are not common.

Cons

It's a project based company. The workflow ebbs and flows like any other project based company. Unfortunately you can't staff to meet the peak demands without folks sitting idle during less busy times.

September 18, 2017Human Resources Manager

It is so great to hear your perspective on what makes CMB a great place to work! We take a lot of pride in our people and culture with things like our fundraising, charity events, and social committee as you mentioned. We also appreciate your recognition of the project based environment which can be tough to manage and resource. Thank you for providing your thoughts.

5. "Amazing learning culture and opportunity to work with top brands"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

Colleagues are smart and so are the clients. It's a great place to learn about market research by working with some amazing brands on a variety of different types of projects. There's a lot of great team work and collaboration.

Cons

The project work can be challenging and somewhat unpredictable, but like any good challenge, it can also rewarding.

September 18, 2017Human Resources Manager

Great to hear from another CMBer! Along with the people and culture, what we often hear about why people enjoy working here and why they find it rewarding is the interesting work and clients. Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We're glad you are as excited as we are to be a CMBer!

"Not great"

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and people. Flexible working locations.

Cons

Extremely low pay and long hours. Benefits are not good, "free lunches once a month" is not a benefit. With current changes and frequent reorgs, employees are concerned about their careers at this company.

September 18, 2017Human Resources Manager

We appreciate your feedback although it is certainly hard to hear. We are glad that you recognize some of the advantages of the company like culture, people, and flexibility, but are sorry to see such poor evaluations of other areas. While it's clear you are discouraged, I am genuinely hopeful that you'll step forward to express your concerns with HR, your manager, or another member of the senior leadership team that you are comfortable with. We would value the opportunity to learn more specific details about your concerns and ideas for improvement. In the meantime, I promise that your review and concerns have been shared with senior leadership and are being carefully considered.

"Great company with engaged leadership and exciting market research projects and clients!"

Current Employee - Market Research Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

- Amazing company culture. People are smart, collaborative and fun. Many employees leave for other opportunities and later come back. - The company has continuously offered me growth opportunities to enhance my career. - Exciting projects across varied industries. No day is the same. The work is challenging and continues to push me. -Company size allows for access to all levels of the organization and an opportunity to really be heard.

Cons

- The company is smallish so doesn't offer the number of titles of a large organization and can be hard for those who equate growth with title changes.

August 8, 2017Human Resources Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We really appreciate hearing from our employees. We're glad to hear that the type of things we value as an organization ring true for our fellow team members as well: collaborative (and fun!) culture, smart people, and a variety of challenging work. We promise to listen to your advice and continue to work hard towards building a successful future for our company and employees that enables professional and personal growth.

"Overall Good, but Pay Needs to Increase"

4.0

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for more than a year

Pros

• The people employed by CMB are awesome ○ Every Friday we have "fun Friday," and a lot of CMBers stay in the office as late as 8pm hanging out and talking to each other. I would imagine that few places have the kind of company culture wherein the employees would rather stay in the office together than go home/out on a Friday. ○ CMBers are invested in the happiness of one another which is evidenced by eating lunch with one another, answering resource requests when we have more free time, and checking in with one another. ○ I really think senior leadership cares deeply about our happiness and well-being, while simultaneously knowing we are a company and need to be successful. • Our clients are amazing. I'm SO grateful to work with such top grade clients. • My manager makes it easy to work from home.

Cons

• My one big con is the pay is low which makes me feel undervalued, no matter how much I'm enjoying everything else about the company. It's also difficult to negotiate pay raises. Phrases like, "we don't buy employees" are used, when in fact that's what one is doing when we provide our skill and expertise for your company. CMB boasts a great compensation package, but I don't find that to be true. • We can end up working long hours (but the company will pay for your dinner if you have to work late. Having that small help is great for a not so fun thing).

Continue reading
  9. "CMB was an amazing place for me over 10 years"

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked at CMB for almost 10 years in a variety of roles starting in an entry level position and working my way up to the VP level. I was always given the opportunity to grow and try new things and consider my time there a free MBA. The exposure to incredibly smart and kind people who are beyond dedicated to customer success is something i treasure even more now that i have worked at a number of different companies. I consider CMB family and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

The market research space is one that moves at a slower pace than something like tech so while the pace isn't slow, it's not a high growth industry or company. On the marketing side, that can lead to playing more of a sales enablement role instead of being a full business driver.

May 19, 2017Human Resources Manager

Thank you very much for providing your feedback. We hope that most people here share the same positive experiences you mention like opportunities for growth, ability to try new things, and the ability to work with incredibly smart and dedicated colleagues. Your observations regarding the industry, the role of marketing, and the opportunities presented with emerging technologies and approaches are things we will take into consideration as we drive forward. Once again, we appreciate your feedback and comments and the time you took to write them.

"Fun company but no room for growth"

2.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Working with fun (and most are young) coworkers. Even senior managers are relatable and very personable. There are holiday parties and summer parties that you will get to know the team and their families. -A great opportunity for those starting their market research careers. There is a great training period, where you are a part of a young team with a manager dedicated in just training you while you get exposed to many project managers across teams. Great exposure to reearch methodologies. - Most are dedicated to market research and assigned projects. -Great experience and learning amazing MR skills. -Flexible working locations. They usually don't care where you are working from as long as you produce good work and finish in time. Some CMBers work from different states.

Cons

-Very low pay especially for the long hours you put in. When the client wants something, that means you are up till 4am trying to finish their request. Even if you are on vacation, you are expected to work. I've seen some work during their honeymoons. HR will probably comment that this is not the case, but unfortunately this is what most PMs and Associates are doing. It is impossible to juggle so many projects within a normal 40hr week. HR is aware of this, but nothing is done. There are some senior managers who will try to shield you from crazy client requests, but most will do whatever it takes to keep clients happy. -The project teams are undervalued. There is high visibility and growth opportunities for management and those who are not on projects. -Very high turn over. People burn out. - Top heavy company with no room for growth. Once you become a senior project manager, there is no real positions after that (unless you want to do sales, or become a made up position called "consultants"). -HORRIBLE maternity policy. It's 2017 and they offer the worst maternity leave benefit that I've ever heard of in MA. I've seen men getting better paternity leaves in other companies. This needs to change. It's sad to think that this is not enforced thinking that the CEO is an woman with 2 kids herself.

May 4, 2017Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We genuinely strive to grow a culture that demonstrates how much we value our employees. We are always looking for opportunities to improve our work-life balance, benefits and paths to professional growth. We value a transparent organization and I invite you and all of our colleagues to share thoughts and ideas for improving the experience for CMBers with either your manager or HR.

Found 26 reviews