Chadwick Martin Bailey Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Jim Garrity

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company with engaged leadership and exciting market research projects and clients!"

Current Employee - Market Research Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Market Research Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

- Amazing company culture. People are smart, collaborative and fun. Many employees leave for other opportunities and later come back.
    - The company has continuously offered me growth opportunities to enhance my career.
    - Exciting projects across varied industries. No day is the same. The work is challenging and continues to push me.
    -Company size allows for access to all levels of the organization and an opportunity to really be heard.

Cons

- The company is smallish so doesn't offer the number of titles of a large organization and can be hard for those who equate growth with title changes.

Advice to Management

Keep working through the forward looking strategy to meet industry demands and continue attracting the accounts like we have today.

Aug 8, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We really appreciate hearing from our employees. We're glad to hear that the type of things we value as an organization ring true for our fellow team... More

"Chadwick is a Solid Work Environment"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

There's much to appreciate at CMB, especially when compared to previous employers. CMB is a thoughtfully run company with a great industry reputation. Flexibility is a huge pro when working at CMB, whether it being allowed to work from home, take extended vacations, or exploring other roles within the company. CMB also ensures a social culture in the office (social committee sponsored outings, team building, sponsored happy hours, etc.), which can help make some of the days easier.

Cons

Client needs come first, which can lead to odd hours, as is expected in this industry. However, CMB tries to be aware of employees working a lot or late on a consistent basis. CMB's training program is well-known and intense, so it takes a while for new hires to get up to speed. At times, the youth and lack of work experience among the associates can lead to extra work for others.

Advice to Management

While the self-awareness is wonderful at times and has allowed the creation of much of the systems currently in place, I feel strongly that CMB should try to be less fettered by its own structures.

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Hearing from someone that can share perspective of CMB compared to other employers is fantastic. We're glad you appreciate some of the things we offer which many other companies don't. It's always... More

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wicked smart people, interesting clients, company gives back to the community. The company places a high value on employees taking leadership roles in lots of things. It might be as simple as leading the social committee to find interesting things for the staff to do. It feels like a big happy family. The company offers employees time to get involved in charitable causes. These sorts of things are not common.

Cons

It's a project based company. The workflow ebbs and flows like any other project based company. Unfortunately you can't staff to meet the peak demands without folks sitting idle during less busy times.

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

It is so great to hear your perspective on what makes CMB a great place to work! We take a lot of pride in our people and culture with things like our fundraising, charity events, and social... More

4. "Amazing learning culture and opportunity to work with top brands"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

Colleagues are smart and so are the clients. It's a great place to learn about market research by working with some amazing brands on a variety of different types of projects. There's a lot of great team work and collaboration.

Cons

The project work can be challenging and somewhat unpredictable, but like any good challenge, it can also rewarding.

Advice to Management

This is an exciting time to be a CMBer!

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Great to hear from another CMBer! Along with the people and culture, what we often hear about why people enjoy working here and why they find it rewarding is the interesting work and clients. Thank... More

"Not great"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and people. Flexible working locations.

Cons

Extremely low pay and long hours. Benefits are not good, "free lunches once a month" is not a benefit. With current changes and frequent reorgs, employees are concerned about their careers at this company.

Advice to Management

Show more support to low paid employees. HR, please listen to what we say and take ACTION. Your door is always opened, sure, but unless action is taken all the meetings do not matter.

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We appreciate your feedback although it is certainly hard to hear. We are glad that you recognize some of the advantages of the company like culture, people, and flexibility, but are sorry to see... More

"Overall Good, but Pay Needs to Increase"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• The people employed by CMB are awesome
        ○ Every Friday we have "fun Friday," and a lot of CMBers stay in the office as late as 8pm hanging out and talking to each other. I would imagine that few places have the kind of company culture wherein the employees would rather stay in the office together than go home/out on a Friday.
         ○ CMBers are invested in the happiness of one another which is evidenced by eating lunch with one another, answering resource requests when we have more free time, and checking in with one another.
        ○ I really think senior leadership cares deeply about our happiness and well-being, while simultaneously knowing we are a company and need to be successful.
    • Our clients are amazing. I'm SO grateful to work with such top grade clients.
    • My manager makes it easy to work from home.

Cons

• My one big con is the pay is low which makes me feel undervalued, no matter how much I'm enjoying everything else about the company. It's also difficult to negotiate pay raises. Phrases like, "we don't buy employees" are used, when in fact that's what one is doing when we provide our skill and expertise for your company. CMB boasts a great compensation package, but I don't find that to be true.
    • We can end up working long hours (but the company will pay for your dinner if you have to work late. Having that small help is great for a not so fun thing).

Advice to Management

Increase pay and benefits

7. "CMB was an amazing place for me over 10 years"

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at CMB for almost 10 years in a variety of roles starting in an entry level position and working my way up to the VP level. I was always given the opportunity to grow and try new things and consider my time there a free MBA.

The exposure to incredibly smart and kind people who are beyond dedicated to customer success is something i treasure even more now that i have worked at a number of different companies. I consider CMB family and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

The market research space is one that moves at a slower pace than something like tech so while the pace isn't slow, it's not a high growth industry or company. On the marketing side, that can lead to playing more of a sales enablement role instead of being a full business driver.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture and client focus. I don't know that it is 100% unique but it is certainly best in class. Be more forward looking in terms of emerging technologies and approaches.

May 19, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you very much for providing your feedback. We hope that most people here share the same positive experiences you mention like opportunities for growth, ability to try new things, and the... More

"Fun company but no room for growth"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Working with fun (and most are young) coworkers. Even senior managers are relatable and very personable. There are holiday parties and summer parties that you will get to know the team and their families.
    -A great opportunity for those starting their market research careers. There is a great training period, where you are a part of a young team with a manager dedicated in just training you while you get exposed to many project managers across teams. Great exposure to reearch methodologies.
    - Most are dedicated to market research and assigned projects.
    -Great experience and learning amazing MR skills.
    -Flexible working locations. They usually don't care where you are working from as long as you produce good work and finish in time. Some CMBers work from different states.

Cons

-Very low pay especially for the long hours you put in. When the client wants something, that means you are up till 4am trying to finish their request. Even if you are on vacation, you are expected to work. I've seen some work during their honeymoons. HR will probably comment that this is not the case, but unfortunately this is what most PMs and Associates are doing. It is impossible to juggle so many projects within a normal 40hr week. HR is aware of this, but nothing is done. There are some senior managers who will try to shield you from crazy client requests, but most will do whatever it takes to keep clients happy.
    -The project teams are undervalued. There is high visibility and growth opportunities for management and those who are not on projects.
    -Very high turn over. People burn out.
    - Top heavy company with no room for growth. Once you become a senior project manager, there is no real positions after that (unless you want to do sales, or become a made up position called "consultants").
    -HORRIBLE maternity policy. It's 2017 and they offer the worst maternity leave benefit that I've ever heard of in MA. I've seen men getting better paternity leaves in other companies. This needs to change. It's sad to think that this is not enforced thinking that the CEO is an woman with 2 kids herself.

Advice to Management

Great company culture! But you can make us feel happier if you to take care of the project teams better.

May 4, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We genuinely strive to grow a culture that demonstrates how much we value our employees. We are always looking for opportunities to improve our work-life balance... More

9. "A great place to learn the business"

I have been working at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time

Pros

Fantastic intellectual capital is very impressive.

Cons

Red tape. Can be difficult to progress within organization

Advice to Management

Loosen the red tape

Dec 15, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

We are very appreciative of the feedback and your positive ratings. We are glad that you believe in our people and their intellect. We are proud of the people we have on board and the intelligence... More

"Great clients, but need to assess workload"

I worked at Chadwick Martin Bailey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has solid list of clients and I enjoyed the people I worked with

Cons

Pay could be improved, particularly for those promoted internally. There is limited growth opportunities past Project Manager or Data Manager. Drastic differences in expectations from directors/leadership makes it difficult to understand how to be successful in your role

Dec 15, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We very much appreciate your remarks and are glad that you enjoyed your time here and the people you worked with. The feedback I hear the most... More