Challenger, Gray & Christmas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
John A. Challenger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping people through a challenging time in their life (in 14 reviews)

• We get to make a difference in the lives of people who are going through a job transition (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits - this is sadly needed (in 12 reviews)

• Salary for entry-level is a joke, there's zero professional development opportunities, and no room for any type of advancement (in 3 reviews)

"I joined the team at CGC as a coach. CGC has a great business model and and supportive leadership."

Current Employee - Job Search Coach
    Current Employee - Job Search Coach

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on customer satisfaction
    Flexible and customized programs to meet clients’ needs
    Ongoing training and development for staff
    Commitment to diversity & inclusion
    Open door policy
    Flexible work arrangements
    Supportive management team

Cons

No obvious negative observations at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company that cares about employees. Provides an outstanding service with professionalism and compassion.

Cons

Even though Challenger is a national company we work in the SE and do not get to see our counterparts enough.

"Best Place I've worked in my career!"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We help people through one of the 3 most difficult periods of a persons life, job loss (death and divorce are the other 2) and have a positive impact on everyone we touch. I've been on the receiving end twice and I helped me.

Cons

Potential customers try to compare us like apples to apples and we are just so much better. It gets frustrating at times. If the try it then they understand the magic.

Advice to Management

Hire

"Challenger is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Job Search Coach in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Job Search Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Challenger program really works and the coaching team is great. I also have flexibility to adjust my working hours based on client needs and my own schedule.

Cons

There can be weeks of long hours, which happens seasonally.

Advice to Management

More open communications with the team

"Doing Good but Paid Miserably"

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time

Pros

Work from home, helping people, smart colleagues, supportive manager.

Cons

Challenger hasn't raised the base pay for coaches in over 20 years. Coaches do not earn a living wage ($35k-40k) while sales executives can make $500,000 or more. I know of many coaches who, like me, have to work a second job just to make ends meet. There are only limited annual bonuses with no defined criteria as to how that amount is calculated. There are no performance reviews for merit increases. The only way you can get a raise is to petition the CEO directly and then raises (typically 1-3%) don't even keep up with cost of living. There are no healthcare benefits—I qualify for the ACA due to my low income and still spend 25% of my net pay monthly on my health insurance premium. There is no 401k match (the company contributes zero to employee retirement). There is no advancement opportunity either. Quit you might say – with an extensive non-compete (the one I had to sign when hired was for 10 years) few are able to move to another company and continue doing the work they love.

Advice to Management

For a company who prides itself in helping people secure successful and lucrative employment, Challenger certainly doesn’t seem to value its own hard-working employees where it really counts – in the pocketbook.

"Surprising Lack of Corporate Ethics and Integrity for such a well known company"

Current Employee - Coach in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No direct supervision, very little accountability, not many measures for performance management . If you are at the beginning of your career and want to get some experience or at the end of your career when you are just making some money to fill in the gaps, this model can be fine.

Cons

The full time staff are managed to keep the overhead as low as possible. That results in almost no field support for service delivery other than the most basic. Traveling staff are supplied with only a computer and computer bag, are expected to utilize their private phone number for business use, provide their personal credit for expenses and purchase any office supplies on their own dime.
    The relationship between management and front line staff that deliver services is more akin to a consulting relationship than one of employment. There are no performance evaluations, and no legitimate tools professional development.

Advice to Management

Stop making it about your profits.

"Job Coach"

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am able to help people get employment.

Cons

No benefits and low salary

Advice to Management

Increase in pay will be nice to coincide with the services we provide to our clients.

"Making a difference"

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time

Pros

We get to make a difference in the lives of people who are going through a job transition. We have great coaches, and a great office support staff. You get to keep all your mileage points.. which is HUGE! There are travel bonuses, and after a year of employment you are eligible for a year end bonus.

Cons

Travel can be extensive in busy seasons, but you are told that up front. More employee benefits would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Please continue to listen to the concerns of your employees, as it has made quite a difference in the corporate atmosphere.

"Job Search Coach"

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time

Pros

Autonomy, flexibility, helping people and making a difference during a very difficult time in their lives.

Cons

Travel can be extensive but management is much better at balancing the schedules of the traveling employees.

Advice to Management

Look into getting some kind of health insurance plan for your employees. There is no expectation you pay the whole thing but a group plan would make all the difference in the world. This would make your company whole.

"CGC Helps People"

Current Employee - Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working for a company that really puts time, effort and heart into helping our clients is very satisfying. I believe most employees feel a real affinity to working hard ti try to give our clients the very best opportunity to find the very best employment opportunity quickly.

Cons

Smaller corporations have a more difficult time providing all of the perks and extras that larger organizations can. CGC tries to counter that by being as flexible as possible to make this a place for employees to feel a part of the family.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to improve our deliverables to customers, clients and our employees.