Challenger, Gray & Christmas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
John A. Challenger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Helping people in a very stressful time" (in 16 reviews)

• "We get to make a difference in the lives of people who are going through a job transition" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits, which for those without spouse benefits make it almost impossible" (in 13 reviews)

• "So if you are not married to someone with health insurance be ready to sell one of any organ you have two of to make ends meet" (in 4 reviews)

1. ""Family" Sums It All Up""

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From the perspective of several decades and experiencing constant positive evolution, I can easily say it's the best job I've had.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Needs to be more progressive"

I worked at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time

Pros

family oriented, good product, known brand

Cons

no forward thinking, tired model

Advice to Management

think out of the box - need a progressive model

3. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best company I have ever worked with - culture, leadership, quality of services and people - after 12 years, I can simply say this is the best company I have ever worked with.

Cons

There are no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - thank you!!

"Now I can truly say...I love my work!!!"

Current Employee - Outplacement Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outplacement Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros? I would say it is Challenger's tremendous company culture which attracts really great talent. Seriously, these are the best people I have ever worked with. My colleagues are smart, creative and completely dedicated. I learn so much from them every day, and I am a better person because I know them. My boss? I would follow my boss to the ends of the earth. I have been given multiple opportunities to take on new responsibilities and get involved with a variety of exciting projects. On top of that, I am completely supported by leadership.

Cons

Cons? So far, my concerns have not yet come to pass. And I hope they never will. Its just that our overall industry has taken a more digital approach to outplacement, while our company continues to drive a customized and personal experience for the transitioning employee. I hope we don't ever have to abandon the one-on-one coaching model for a "self serve / website" experience. I believe the personalized consulting model makes the most difference to our clients.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: Don't ever forget how much we are making a difference.

"Employee Perspective"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CGC really cares about it's employees and clients. They have a very open and family oriented business. Everyone truly wants their clients and employees to succeed. The CEO is very engaged in the business.

Cons

Can't think of any, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue offering the personalized services to our clients, it really differentiates us from the competition.

"Wonderful family company"

Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding work and great earning potential! You feel like you are part of one huge diverse family that works together to help people through job loss. The job gives you lots of autonomy, but you must be a self starter to succeed it this environment.

Cons

The pay is all commission, but earnings are uncapped and paid at a very fair rate. There is a high rate of failure among sales executives but those who make it stay for decades.

Advice to Management

Keeping having all-company conferences and being so generous with expenses.

"Senior Vice President"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

Pros

They believe in work/ life balance and trust you to do your work without micromanaging you.

Cons

Like any company, it has its quirks. But the pros far outweigh the cons for many...but not all.

Advice to Management

Better communication and transparency

"Ethical, purpose driven human capital company"

Current Employee - EVP Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - EVP Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coherent culture of helping with near limitless opportunities to grow. People who stay more than a couple of years stay for life. Many who've left, come back.

Cons

In a business where price sometimes trumps quality. Difficult to prove the true difference in quality when substandard competitors claim the same.

Advice to Management

Stay the course but push the value differentiators harder.

"Love What I do"

Current Employee - Business Development

Pros

Challenger truly makes a difference in our client's lives. We meet them at a time when they have just received bad news and help them get to a good place.

As an employee I have the autonomy to do my work and the support of company leader's to do the right thing for our clients.

Love the family culture and my team mates.

Cons

None of importance that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue our ongoing focus on getting great results for our clients

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Challenger, Gray & Christmas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at Challenger has been wonderful. The services provided by this company are top-notch. When you are able to help people through a difficult time in their lives on a daily basis, it doesn't even feel like work.

The management team is supportive and there is an excellent team of job coaches. Challenger's job coaches are the absolute best in the business.

Cons

When you work remotely like I do, I don't get to see my teammates enough. Challenger is staffed with such wonderful people that it would be nice to see them more often.