Chamberlain Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
JoAnna Sohovich

Pros
  • Company has great people and financials (in 8 reviews)

• great 401k contributions, affordable health insurance, work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance depends on your boss (in 5 reviews)

• None great company, there are no cons (in 3 reviews)

1. "Internship experience"

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer Intern in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer Intern in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

The company cares about its employees and is working to modernize. They value quality and are striving to improve.

Cons

They have some issues with their processes as they are implementing modern coding practices and are currently understaffed.

Advice to Management

Work out the kinks in the development process and make sure documentation is created for all projects.

"Customer service is not their number 1 priority"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adequate benefits, but low pay considering the work.
    Occassional perks to employees, conveying thanks for their efforts
    Systems may be antiquated, but are usually dependable.

Cons

Long in queue times for customers. When they get to an agent, they are upset and it tends to make for difficult calls and poor survey results.

Too many 'support' people not on the phones. Not uncommon to be extremely busy and have people walking around trying to look busy.

Supervisors who are nothing more than watching stats rather than providing any support to their team members.

You have to be a part of the cliques in order to get responses.

Supervisors are 'perched' at their desks. They purvey a very condescending attitude

All in all, customers do not receive the service preached about. The focus is on the supervisors and those agents roaming the production floor..

Advice to Management

Review your commitment to customer service, and provide flexibility to meet the needs of the customers. All production floor employees should be able to take calls , when queue is excessive. Rather than talking about appreciation, do something to show that everyone is of value, by working as a team. There is too much division in response to customer needs.

"You can do a lot better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Garage Door Opener and Garage Door Remotes...

Cons

Bad management, lots of turnover, no money for marketing, no growth within company, everyone is unhappy, not a challenging place to work...

"A great company with a bright future."

I have been working at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am greatly impressed with the new CEO and I think she is going to be a breath of fresh air. Chamberlain is the leader in the industry and the products are being designed with cutting edge technology which is very exciting to be a part of. We are moving to a state of the art building in Oakbrook and we are extremely excited about the change in location just about five miles away. The new facility will be geared towards greater productivity, will give us more meeting space, and with the company's focus on employee wellness, exciting work out and wellness areas.

Cons

The current building is very dated and the majority of the work spaces have access to only fluorescent lighting. When we move to the new building the environment will be vastly improved. I think any other cons I could think of would be the same things you would like to have at any job -- higher pay, more vacation etc...

Advice to Management

Hiring a new CEO was an excellent place to start. Creating a succession plan for each of your employees would go a long way to keep the experience you've built from walking out the door to other companies.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Chamberlain Group full-time

Pros

New CEO, re-focus on quality and employees. Good pay and benefits

Cons

Career growth is hard for outside sales people

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Great products. Profitable. Good pay. Many good people.

Cons

HR is a disaster and non supportive. I suspect they have been working to take down these negative posts. I had a review removed after being up for months. Hmmmm. Suddenly it violates Glassdoor rules?

Advice to Management

Fix HR and fix the Retail group.

Chamberlain Group Response

Mar 1, 2016 – EVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback—we take posted content seriously and are always open to ways to improve. We greatly value the input of our employees, partners and customers. The removal of posts is ... More

"Taking On Water"

I have been working at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is currently the market leader in garage door openers.

Cons

You won't be able to think and make decisions on your own. You will be led that you have that ability, but in the end you will always be told what to do. Certain executive leaders treat people with no respect without repercussions. If you have any respect for yourself, look elsewhere, especially when it comes to marketing.

Advice to Management

Advice would not matter! Most issues are the result of executive management. Make immediate changes in the marketing leadership, the ship has a gaping hole, taking on water and about to sink. People are going to abandon the ship.

"Great Company That is Getting Better and Better..."

I have been working at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO's message is terrific. She will lead with integrity, in a Team first manner, and wants everyone pulling in the same direction. She is clarifying our strategy which will reduce non value added work. Company has great people and financials. We are the clear leader in the industries we compete and we're on course for even better results.

Cons

Matrix reporting structure has confused decision making and has resulted on too little focus on the Customer.

Advice to Management

Embrace the new CEO. Simplify decision making and ensure we are all pulling in the same direction to ensure we satisfy our Customers 100% of the time.

"Great Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Marketing in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Chamberlain Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a family company and they truly treat their employees accordingly. Great people and great opportunities for growth. Through ups and downs in the economic marketplace, the company continues to invest in people and the business.

Cons

The current makeup of the physical locations is currently challenging (multiple buildings in relatively close proximity), however this is being addressed with a state of the art facility in Oak Brook that will open in 2017.

In the past 3-5 years, there has been a drop in overall employee satisfaction for various reasons, however I believe that as we transition with our new CEO the company culture will drastically improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in quality and innovation in all product lines and new growth opportunities. The employees that have had the opportunity to meet and hear the new CEO speak are all very excited about the direction we are headed in.

"More of a Job vs Career"

Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Chamberlain Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market and industry leaders which causes a puppet master mentality.
    Good health benefits.
    Work culture is cubicle life where you come to work, clock in 8 hour day, then go home.

Cons

Very "cushy" company. Information is transitioning from tribal ways of being passed down from start of company to having it backed up on software which is a new process so it imposes a challenge in itself. The industry is completely dominated by Chamberlin and LiftMaster so no competition to impose challenges. A lot of the challenges are internal obstacles. Be aware of what job description states, will find a lot of extra steps and mundane tasks to achieve a simple result that will need approvals by everyone along the way. Will hear "its the way we always done it" a lot. Printed materials consistently have errors, mistakes, and misprints. This literature is then shared with all of the customers and internal organization. A lot of internal fires being put out which causes the customers to be delayed. A lot of what is said and what actually is done tells two separate stories. Noticed a lot of finger pointing, and leadership never taking ownership of actions. For being a strong leader in the market and having the stature and prestige associated with the company the sustainability and environmental processes are poor and wasteful.