Chamberlain University Visiting Professor Reviews | Glassdoor

Chamberlain University Visiting Professor Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2019

Found 10 reviews

2.4
Chamberlain University CEO Dr. Karen Cox (no image)
Dr. Karen Cox
  1. "Excellent Employer"

Current Contractor - Visiting Professor in Bethany Beach, DE

I have been working at Chamberlain University for more than a year

Pros

Remote virtual teaching opportunity with students engaged in asynchronous learning; highly dedicated team that displays professional and engaging behaviors

Cons

Opportunities for advancement from contract employee to regular employee status is not clear

Advice to Management

Discussion of a clear pathway for promotion for contract employees would be helpful

Chamberlain University2018-06-08

"Nepotism and Toxicity"

Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Chamberlain University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Students, Pay, Work-Life balance, Location, Students

Cons

Leadership, Favoritism, Limited Growth Opportunities, Toxic Work Environment

Advice to Management

Monitor leadership and campuses more closely. They can make or break a campus. Campus President is rarely on campus. Hires close personal friends and allows them to promote toxicity on the campus without repercussions. Advertises Chamberlain Care, however, it is not embraced by leadership or certain faculty. Faculty brag about close personal relationships with campus leadership, which makes it difficult for students... and staff to have a voice. Campus President is very quick to undermine faculty in order to push own agenda. Campus leadership sabotaged growth within the organization. Terminates staff without cause or any formal action plan. Do not advertise Chamberlain Care if you are not embracing it yourselves. Students are very aware of the negativity on campus and have told others to avoid this campus at all costs. Students have expressed their regret for attending this school. They are very concerned about the turnover for faculty and staff. Only certain Visiting Professors are chosen to work. Was considering full time but based on the culture, would never consider a full time position unless changes are made.

Chamberlain University2019-07-15
  3. "Average"

Current Contractor - Visiting Professor

I have been working at Chamberlain University

Pros

Good pay, some independence to work

Cons

Bad communication, not well coordinated leadership

Advice to Management

Improve leadership

Chamberlain University2019-06-12
  4. "Visiting adjunct professor"

Current Contractor - Visiting Assistant Professor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Chamberlain University for more than 3 years

Pros

Good class sizes, good course platforms

Cons

No incentive for working years, no incentive for good performance except possible every 8 week contract. It doesn’t matter if you have a poor or excellent performance as a Visiting Professor. The pay never changes.

Advice to Management

Take care of your adjuncts as they are your bread and butter. There are no benefits provided for VP’s and absolute no pay tier for performance. The only benefit is to the school.

Chamberlain University2018-11-09

"WOW!!!"

Current Employee - Visiting Professor in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Chamberlain University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid every two weeks and the checks didn't bounce

Cons

You are a grading machine, time consuming, and lets be clear you are not teaching. If you hold students to any kind of rigor they complain and will not stop until you give them an A. This is clearly a for profit operation people in leadership positions with make believe degrees evaluate you on how happy you make students and how high your grades are. Clearly most of the students could not get into real nursing... programs and are gambling this degree will get them a job. Supervisor was a moron who knew very little about pedagogy. Only counted the number of times you wrote on the discussion board, not the content of what you wrote or your knowledge of the subject.

Advice to Management

Stop calling yourself a university you are a diploma mill on your best days.

Chamberlain University2018-09-18
  6. "Online Visiting Professor New"

Current Employee - Visiting Professor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Chamberlain University part-time

Pros

Orientation for new visiting professors is amazing. I read some of the comments on this site and I was shocked. I just completed my orientation with Chamberlain two weeks ago. It was a month long process and I am an experienced online teacher. The online orientation far exceeded anything I have ever completed as an orientation. They have a new platform and they begin by orientating us to the new platform. We... then had three additional weeks with reading assignments, discussions - both general and on best practices, and it ended with a final. I learned some great new strategies to use and again, I have been teaching online for six years. The management are amazing! Work with you to quickly to find answers to your questions. CEO - from what I gather, there is a new person over the institution and what I have heard from a couple who have been working there, she is great. Her name is Lisa Wardell.

Cons

The actual course is time intensive, but I have been told that once you are set up in your course then the next time you teach it, it is much less time intensive. I hope this is true and I will update this review when I know more. You must wait until you have taught at least one course, to apply to teach other courses. Maybe they do this because of how time intensive the setup on the front end is? They pay... fairly well. I think my full-time pays a little more to visiting faculty.

Advice to Management

Continue the orientation sessions. It is well worth the money to get every person ready, so they may be consistent with Chamberlain standards.

Chamberlain University2017-07-09

"Visiting Professor"

Current Employee - Visiting Professor in Ringgold, GA

I have been working at Chamberlain University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The school has been excellent with me. Great pay, great students, great changes in leadership and direction.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a while to get questions answered. With recent changes, not always easy to know who to contact.

Advice to Management

Add more folks to help manage faculty, enough that faculty do not feel lost or disassociated.

Chamberlain University2016-11-09

"Visiting Professor - Clinical"

Current Contractor - Visiting Nursing Professor in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Chamberlain University for more than a year

Pros

Pays $50 hourly - $600 for every clinical day. Better than most. Students are great!

Cons

8 week contracts - unreliable. They have cancelled when enrollment went down and called last minute asking for additional days. Once my assignment got changed mid-term. Good for "extra" money - wouldn't suggest you base your budget on this source of income.

Advice to Management

It is clear that this employer is disorganized. I have been at CCN for 4 terms so far with each of them being administered in a chaotic fashion.

Chamberlain University2016-09-22

"Visiting Professor"

Current Employee - Visiting Professor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Chamberlain University part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work. Hours are flexible. The college offers online faculty meetings to keep staff updated on all changes. Additional online training is offered to assist faculty with classroom management skills and self-development.

Cons

Promotions not really possible. You will work at the same job you are hired for. If you apply for a high position you receive no feedback from HR. There isn't even acknowledgment of your application. Compensation has not change for 7 years. Raises are never given.

Chamberlain University2016-07-14
  10. "Really enjoy working as a visiting professor!"

Former Contractor - Visiting Nursing Professor

I worked at Chamberlain University for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and good salary

Cons

Completing OCO's is always time consuming. Schedule and school could be more organized.

Chamberlain University2014-12-24