Chambers and Partners Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2021

4.2
Chambers and Partners CEO Tim Noble (no image)
Tim Noble
Pros
  • "Great location by Chancery Lane, excellent facilities within the office, fairly quick development, useful new HR/professional development system(in 6 reviews)

• "It’s good as a first job, but it’s a stepping stone(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The canteen and the toilets are a disgrace(in 9 reviews)

• "Senior management have no interest in staff, promotions are arbitrary and morale is incredibly low(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Onboarding Remotely

Oct 12, 2020 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is extremely welcoming and friendly. The team has been very helpful in communicating and allowing room for all my questions while I become familiar with the role and responsibilities.

Cons

Still very new to the role, no cons at the moment

HR

Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased to hear you are enjoying your time working with us and are delighted to hear you have found your colleagues all welcoming and friendly. We understand how difficult it can be to move into a new role remotely which is why we are working very hard to ensure this is as seamless and welcoming as possible and ensuring we connect with new starters as much as possible during their onboarding stages.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Outstanding

Sep 26, 2020 - Team Leader in Hampton, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was pretty decent. I felt appreciated.

Cons

Need more dialog with employees. Not bad but could always improve.

HR

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you felt appreciated during your time with Chambers. We also thank you for your feedback and thoughts to our Management Team on how dialogue could be improved. We are continually looking at ways in which we can improve communications within teams across the business. We take all feedback from current and past employees on board and work hard to ensure all feedback and comments are discussed and actioned.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work if you like office politics and repetitive work

Dec 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great location. Work is beyond easy and employees are able to manage their own workload. Some very talented and intelligent people but they of course leave as soon as they can. Good place for a graduate to earn some money on a temporary basis but only as a last resort if they cant find anything else.

Cons

The building is falling apart and the company has a bad mice infestation. A persons experience depends on the team they are placed on and some teams are known for their excessive micromanaging and bullying. Promotions are arbitrary so the only way to progress is to get in with the right people from the very start, leading to very young and immature people who only seem concerned with social status assuming senior roles. Certain employees fail to take accountability for their own mistakes and blame others. Work is mundane, repetitive and unrewarding. Toilets are grim. Management are bonkers and have no idea what their employees actually do. Bizarre interview process. Culture of fear and paranoia. Employees will most likely leave the company with low self-esteem.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent place to work.

Mar 26, 2021 - Senior Research Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Managers are generally supportive of your workload and know what to expect you to handle, which varies based on experience. You can confide in your line manager for any matter, be it struggling with your workload or issues with firms. *Managers make sure your work is appreciated and aren't on top of you, allowing you to perform your work independently while they provide guidance or advice on how to perform the role to your fullest potential. *Promotions for researchers have increased and you feel valued for your time and work at the company. *Regular meetings and presentations by members of senior management with the opportunity of Q&A. *Performing the role gives you a deep understanding of the legal industry and the opportunity of interviewing notable lawyers is a perk. *Excellent office space, very modern and with benefits such as beer taps and biscuits! *The research team are all friendly and do their best to make you feel welcome when you start even though it can deem daunting at first. *Flexible work-from-home situation with all the equipment you could need. *25 days holiday plus bank holidays and time off at Christmas is amazing. *Sick pay *The people team are excellent and there if you need them. *Healthcare plan for all employees. *Cycle schemes. *Flexible working hours. *There are various clubs to join, including a book club, LGBTQIA committee, Gender committee and others which are open to employees of any level. *LinkedIn Learning for all colleagues and the ability to choose courses that spark your interest in any industry. *Are very aware of the importance of mental health and provide many schemes to help with this as well as supportive management at every level. *There is a lot of diversity and this has been a core value of the company for years. *Pension and contributions by employer.

Cons

*Pay has not been increased for researchers in the last few years and is a low paid job when you consider the credentials researchers have who often come from top universities across the world with masters, doctorates and are qualified solicitors themselves from many jurisdictions. I do not believe the pay reflects the difficulty of this role, the academic required to gain this role and the cost of working/living in London. *The work can be very monotonous *They essentially revoked bonuses this year. It's unusual for companies of this kind to not provide bonuses to their teams, especially at Christmas. Even before bonuses were revoked, the bonuses for researchers are unbelievably low in comparison to other companies and equate to less than 1% of the total annual pay in many cases. *Team socials were cancelled before the pandemic, it meant many employees who had not been there long did not have the opportunity to get to know their colleagues in a less formal environment as the office environment can be quite intimidating and it can make many shy or anxious colleagues not have the opportunity to socialise and get to know their colleagues, especially for those who have moved to London for this role. I think this should be reinstated once people return to the office as team bonding is very important for a company to function well, as the recognition scheme which was put in place to replace this does not work. It doesn't feel like we are appreciated for the hard work we do. *Often nothing comes out of Q&A meetings with senior management and no changes are made.

HR

We would firstly like to thank you for taking the time out to leave us your review and thoughts on working with us, we very much appreciate it. We are delighted to hear of your positive experience with us and are extremely happy to hear you have found our managers and employees to be welcoming and supportive. We are working hard and continue to work hard to ensure all employees are offered support throughout their time working at Chambers and to provide all employees with the tools and resources they need to succeed in their role. It is excellent to hear you have discovered our numerous benefits, we are delighted to be able to offer all employees these fantastic benefits and would encourage all employees to enjoy these. We are very happy to hear of your experience and enjoyment with our various social committees and diversity program groups; all have been designed to offer inclusivity and diversity to all employees and are also there to create a friendly and social working environment which is very important to Chambers. We strive to offer a friendly and social environment for all employees to enjoy. Thank you for also sharing your thoughts on how we can improve. Regarding bonuses, we are pleased to confirm that we paid summer bonuses last year and announced our new 2021 annual discretionary bonus scheme that links directly to performance. Further details can be found in our Bonus Policy. Regarding socials, we actively encourage all teams to socialise regularly. This should be organised by your line manager/two-up manager in collaboration with all team members. We also offer social committee, book club, board games club and knitting club which are open to all employees to join and participate in. Regarding your role, we would encourage you to put a development plan in place with your line manager to work towards Assistant Editor level. LinkedIn Learning can also assist with your development and the People Team and L&D Team are also available for further discussion. Our All-Company meetings with the senior management team allow the opportunity for all employees to ask questions to the business. After every Company Meeting a Q&A document is circulated to all employees which answer all questions asked. Some changes will not necessarily be seen immediately and may form part of a wider company strategy. However, we encourage you to follow up with the relevant senior leadership team member if you feel a question has not been adequately answered.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stable and independent work but very demanding and underpaid

Apr 6, 2021 - Editor/Researcher
      Business Outlook

Pros

It can be very interesting to carry out research, you are trusted to work independently and manage your own deadlines and workload and days feel productive rather than wasted in meetings (compared to other jobs). For graduates, it's a great deal, but ancillary experience tends to go unrecognised. A common phrase is that the best part of the company is its people - there is enormous camaraderie and a great social aspect to the job. It's possible to learn a lot of useful skills in it, so it is a very good springboard to other roles. There are a lot of development opportunities for junior staff too. The company has invested in its D&I programme, with a lot of employee engagement. Flexible working was a very welcome addition.

Cons

However, it is a very demanding role and underpaid for anyone who is not joining as a graduate. People at all levels of research tend to feel stressed and pressured while working. Researchers and editors can face hostility or aggression from some external clients, which can make the job emotionally exhausting. As it's quite a unique industry, it can be difficult to leverage the experience into something else without retraining or moving to work in legal marketing. Researchers and editors often work significant unpaid overtime, including weekends, without access to TOIL. The company has been working to address this, but it's a massive culture shift.

HR

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and taking the time to leave a review of your time working at Chambers. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found your role to be interesting. We are delighted to hear you found our diversity and inclusive program to be engaging and an important part of who we are. We are happy to also hear you enjoyed the working environment - we strive to offer a friendly, productive, and inclusive space for all. Thank you also for your comments regarding more experienced new joiners. We greatly value the experience that employees bring, and we actively encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing. Our Senior Leadership Team are always open to hear any ideas or comments, and all employees can contribute and ask questions in our regular All Company Meetings. Regarding any hostility received from external clients, we have a zero-tolerance approach to inappropriate behaviour. If a Chambers and Partners employee is made to feel uncomfortable during a business interaction, our employee has the right to cease communications and raise this with their relevant senior leadership team member. For further information please see our Zero Tolerance Policy here: https://chambers.com/info/zero-tolerance-policy. We also appreciate your views on the workload you mentioned during your time working at Chambers. For these types of matters we would always encourage employees to speak to their direct manager and/or the People Team so that a plan can be put in place. If any additional work is required during busy periods, we encourage employees to flex their hours as appropriate and to keep in regular communication with their line manager so that they are aware of any additional time that is being spent. We would also not expect any additional work to be carried out unless the employee is happy to do so. Our Recognition Scheme offers quarterly and annual awards that recognise outstanding performance and our annual discretionary bonus scheme is directly linked to our annual performance appraisal process. Thank you again for your review, and as mentioned should you wish to discuss anything further we would be delighted to hear from you.

6. 4.0

Fantastic company

Apr 30, 2021 - Publishing Coordinator in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

this is a multicultural environment

Cons

no advantages have been found so far

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A wonderful company to work for!

Mar 10, 2021 - New Business Development in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse community with a family feel and everyone supporting each other to achieve company objectives.

Cons

None that I know of right now.

HR

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to hear you are enjoying your time with us and we will continue to strive towards creating an enjoyable place for all employees. We are also very pleased to hear you have recognised the diverse community with the business. Diversity and inclusion is very important to Chambers and we work hard to ensure this is something that we champion, and all employees feel welcome and involved across all departments.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliantly smart colleagues, poor pay

Mar 16, 2021 - Researcher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing colleagues who are amongst the brightest in the country and great camaraderie.

Cons

Poor pay and progression. Rigid structure.

HR

Thank you for your review of your time working at Chambers. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed working with us and working with our fantastic employees, your colleagues. We work hard to ensure all employees are treated well and respected amongst not only their teams but also across each department, so to hear of your positive experience is fantastic. We would also like to thank you for sharing your thoughts on the pay structure and progression. All Researchers receive a salary increase after one year, and there is a clear progression structure in place to allow employees to progress further. There are two promotion opportunities each year and we encourage all employees to discuss their development during their performance appraisal. Further information can be found in our Reward and Recognition Policies and we encourage all employees to discuss their progression regularly with their line manager and/or a member of the People Team.

9. 5.0

Great work environment!

Feb 21, 2021 - Research Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Despite having joined the company during lockdown, I found the process of joining the company to be quite smooth. The training was thorough and well done. Any questions I have are always answered promptly. The people are great! Everyone has been very friendly and helpful.

Cons

No real downsides to working for Chambers and Partners.

HR

Thank you very much for your review of your time working with us. We are delighted to hear you found your onboarding a smooth transition. We have worked hard to ensure this is a simple and easy process for all new starters and would like to thank you for being part of our new starters who have all joined remotely. We are also happy to hear you have found everybody very friendly. We aim to provide a warm and friendly environment for all employees.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Early days but nice company to work for

Apr 12, 2021 - SQL Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very welcoming company that takes diversity and training seriously.

Cons

Remote working can be a bit isolating.

HR

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to hear of your positive experience in the time you have spent with us. Diversity and inclusion is very important to Chambers, so to hear you have recognised this in your early days with us is fantastic. It is also excellent to hear your fellow colleagues have been be welcoming, we work hard to ensure all new starters are welcomed and enjoy a friendly environment. Thank you again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 121 Reviews