Champion EMS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Perception in the eye of the beholder"

Current Employee - Field Supervisor/Captain in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Field Supervisor/Captain in Longview, TX

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In growth every entity has its growing pains. Some are more dramatic than others. However, it's how you grow from it that truly counts. I have been at Champion EMS for over 5 years. From where we started as our own to where we are now is a vast polar opposite. The upper management has invested a lot of time in trying to grow. Obviously it can not happen over night. It's just like a juvenile stock. You look at it for long term investment. You want a positive ROI(return on investment). Here it's the same. I came to this organization for a short term fix to a solution with the idea of going to a local fire dept as a fire/medic. However, I am truly invested in the organization and I'm here to stay to progress my education, which they are very supportive of, this way I can spend more time with my family.
    The pay is good. of course, it could always be better, but I'm not struggling paycheck to paycheck.
    The fellow field staff is very welcoming, along with upper management, as long as you are a team player. They are willing to help you out in time of need. They are willing to invest in your future, but you do have to be willing to share the investment. Most people just want the benefits with out the return. You can get all the education you want to get to maintain your CE's at not cost and get paid for it. The CEO has untapped potential. He truly cares about all involved. However, he does have his hands full and somethings may shadow others at times. It happens everywhere. At least he knows your name instead of your cost to the company/organization. They will listen to you. Trust me I know, but it's all about how honest and objective you are.

Cons

The mandatory over time is a bummer. However, I look at it like the military. You commit to being a public servant. At least this way we get to go home instead of staying overseas for a long time. Eventually it will get better, but for now it's not so bad. Scheduling is a bit of a cluster with the mandates. It's hard to schedule things way out in advance. The 'brotherhood' is at a low currently as has been. This is very common in the southern private based EMS. Pay could always be better, but at the same time. It's better to have job security, than not to so I'll take that over higher pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to the "lower management" more. Let them make some calls for their station and let them grow from it. The foundation is solid and has amazing potential. Listen to all the team members involved. Show them you listen, provide loop feedback.

"Champion EMS"

Current Employee - FCO/Comm Officer
    Current Employee - FCO/Comm Officer

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are to help the community, save lives and assisting other agencies in time of need. You are appreciated by the patients and their families.

Cons

This is a long hour job, if you can't work atleast a twelve hour shift and stay awake, then this isn't the job for you. Some other employees would say working graveyard shift but personally I enjoy it.

"Education"

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Champion EMS for over 5 years now. During this time the growth has been tremendous. There have been many features added each year, from the education standpoint. There is the New Employee Academy, Continuing Education Days, Certification courses, EMT courses, and Paramedic courses. Each year brings more growth and change. Change is inevitable in any environment and although difficult it signals growth. I hope to continue growing with this organization for many years to come.

Cons

No more than any other organization I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Communicate the changes to all Team Members and explain the "whys".

4. "It's a job until you find your real career."

Former Employee - EMT in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - EMT in Longview, TX

I worked at Champion EMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The protocols are both aggressive and advanced. There are yearly performance evaluations with annual percentage raises based on your scores.

Cons

Management staff are promoted through the ranks of EMS. No college degrees in business or management are required, and it is obvious that there has been no formal leadership training.

Advice to Management

Stop being shady and gain some integrity.

Champion EMS Response

May 4, 2017 – CFO

Thank you for the positive feedback about our protocols! I’ll be sure to pass your comment to our Clinical Team. Please note that more managers at Champion EMS have degrees than do not. Formal... More

"In my heart"

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have great protocols and their equipment is up to date. They have several stations in East Texas and they fit my family needs with benefits. They promote from within and don't hire from the outside.

Cons

They do have policies and they up hold them with follow up to make sure you are doing what needs to be done.

"Hated to leave"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Canton, TX
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Canton, TX

I worked at Champion EMS (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the organization for just over two years. My spouse had to relocate and therefore I had to leave. I really enjoyed my tenure with them and hope to return in the future. The organization would work wth us and help how they could. They went out of there way to make the employees enjoy their careers.

Cons

It's unfortunate that some of the employees just don't see what Champion has to offer. Many find once they leave they want to return.

Advice to Management

Keep on moving in the right direction

7. "Not great"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Jefferson, TX
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Jefferson, TX

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time

Pros

Pay is good but only because you spend so much time in OT. Some coworkers are nice.

Cons

Lack of accountability in all areas. We have an extreme shortage of paramedics so you have no choice but to pick up shifts or be mandated to shift. There is little room for advancement. The pay is low for both EMTs and medics so no wonder they cannot hold onto staff.

Advice to Management

fire some ppl in upper management!

Champion EMS Response

Jul 20, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Actually, Champion's pay rates are very competitive for our region (see JEMS annual wage survey). Also, Champion's turnover rate is consistent with the national average... More

"Receptionist/Member Service/Admin Support"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Longview, TX

I worked at Champion EMS (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with subscribers and co-workers with the company

Cons

Very stressful environment but exciting place to work

"Always in search of exceptional"

Current Employee - Shift Commander in Hughes Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Commander in Hughes Springs, TX

Pros

Education department is top notch.
    In house abundant CE and card classes.
    Rate of pay is assessed often to ensure that Champion is competitive in the market.
    Benefits-Matching 401-k, medical, dental, vision.
    Opportunity for advancement is the largest of any EMS service I have been a member of...
    FTO positions.
    Field Supervisor at every station.
    Shift Commander positions.
    Regional Managers positions.
    Progressive protocols and up to date equipment.
    Reimbursement for furthering your education.
    Medical direction that is involved, in touch and accessible.

Cons

I believe that cons are directly related to the attitude you bring with you on a daily basis. If you have a "can do" attitude and are team oriented you can go far here. I started here as a Paramedic and was a Field Supervisor for approximately 6 years before moving to a Shift Commander position.

Advice to Management

As part of the Management team this category is difficult to advise on. I bring the attitude and professionalism with me every day to lead from the front and won't ask our team members to do anything I'm not willing to do myself. No ratings on this review were given more than 4 stars because we believe there is always room for improvement in everything we do.

10. "Not what they seem"

I have been working at Champion EMS full-time

Pros

The money is good if you have a total focus on working for Champion. Overtime is always available. The EMS crews are great people and they (mostly) want to do a great job caring for the pts. Champion has very progressive protocols.

Cons

This company will work you into the ground. They don't care about your home life or if you even have a home life. They want you available to them every minute. The management is quick to turn on you if you need time off or if you get hurt or sick. Never mind that you may have been working a million hours a month for them. It doesn't matter. Any attempt to speak about an unpopular truth is perceived as "negative talk" and employees are told not to be negative.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to the things that you don't want to hear. Think about why it is that Champion's turnover rate is so high.