Champion Learning Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Tutor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center (Less than a year)

Pros

very flexible. Coordinators were super helpful

Cons

did not tax your checks right away

2. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Champion Learning Center offers a flexible work schedule where you can make your own hours. You can work as many hours or as little hours as best fits your schedule. Pay period is every two weeks.

Cons

They do not offer health care benefits. They do not withhold taxes.

3. "Tutor Review"

Pros

Could end up doing a lot of hours which meant more money in your pocket. Able to work nights and weekends so this fit well with my school schedule at the time. Rewarding to see students' progression.

Cons

Project managers did not always inform you of bonuses you were entitled to, I was cheated out of $1000 in bonuses for having completed 1000 hours. Some students gave you the run around and would pretend to not be home. Made to repeatedly knock on students' doors who were not committed which lead to a waste of money in terms of travel expenses. No reimbursement for mileage or tolls, i repeatedly asked to work in the bronx but kept being given students in queens. Meant I spent MANY hours traveling without being paid for it (often times equal to the # of hours I tutored that afternoon).
    No pay increase even for excellent productive tutors.

4. "Work as a CLC Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Project Manager was very helpful.

Cons

The pay rate was low considering travel times were usually between 1 to 1.5 hours.

5. "Low pay, but plenty of freedom and great kids. Reporting hours is unpaid, and can be timely."

Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

Choice of location/clients. Decent curriculum/material (at least minimizes unpaid prep time). Great kids, though idk if the company deserves credit for that.

Cons

Low pay, and supervisors are often short-lived, leaving entry level tutors high and dry (since there's little support beyond immediate supervisor).

Advice to Management

Tutors do nearly 100% of the work; thus, they deserve a bit more than 15% of the revenue they earn.

6. "No chance for growth"

Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

Flexible Schedule, great students to work with

Cons

Compensation mediocre
    Growth selective among favorites, no chance to grow

7. "It was good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Home Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Home Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I felt good working here because I felt like I was making a change in economically challenged communities.

Cons

The program ended a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get money to fund this program.

8. "Wonderful managers and they were so helpful with lesson plans"

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

being able to work with the children and the environment was very challenging but rewarding due to the varying ages. being able to have somewhat of a flexible schedule was a great option as well. very good potential working for this company.

Cons

the restricted scheduling , there was freedom to work with the kids of varying ages but at times it was challenges with some of the children . traveling also at times was an issue to get between cases

Advice to Management

nothing great job

9. "Too bad good things come to an end"

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked withing great program managers, who always met my criteria in selecting students to tutor. The communication between manager, me and students/parents was impeccable.

Cons

There were not any cons. The only issue is that the funding for the program for underprivileged students stopped coming in, so the program had to shut down.

10. "Unique, Independent"

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best part was helping out students who are struggling in different subject areas. As a tutor you are completely independent and out in the field. You set your own schedule with the parents and as long as you stick to it and complete the required weekly hours, everything is fine. Compensation was ok, and can increase with teaching licence. Usually, the students who are assigned to you are within short traveling distance.

Cons

As a tutor, you are actually contracted, not a direct employee. That means there are no benefits whatsoever. Often, program managers will beat and hassle tutors for problems out of their control, such as parents or students not being present for designated sessions. Limited to only 3 hour sessions per student, which in some cases isn't enough. No promotion or advancement as a returning tutor. If by any chance the designated students are far, traveling will be a nightmare.

Advice to Management

More incentives for hard working and high performing tutors.