Champions Oncology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2019

2.9
Joel Ackerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great growing company"

I have been working at Champions Oncology (More than a year)

Pros

The BusDev team is energetic and well organized. There is sincere potential for career growth.

Cons

There are too many teleconferences.

2. "Needs improvement"

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time

Pros

While working a champions oncology I enjoyed the work culture. My coworkers were very friendly and we always had get-togethers and events such as movie nights.

Cons

Management is very disorganized. They give you employees so much work which forces you to work overtime but then they get mad at you for working overtime. In meetings, they ask you to share your complaints but then ostracize you for complaining. There is no work life balance if you work here. Beware.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team work, flexibility to work remotely

I had a good time at Champions and I was directly reporting to Maria Mancini who I think is an excellent leader and motivator. It was my first job out of grad school and Maria really encouraged me and helped me when I needed it. My onboarding and training was also quite good. I would highly recommend this place as I believe all the studies are conducted with the highest quality, systematically and in an ethical manner.

Cons

work can get stressful at time

Advice to Management

None

4. "WORST PLACE TO BE EMPLOYED!"

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time

Pros

Some positions have more flexible work schedules than others.

Cons

Everything. The people leading the projects have absolutely no idea what they are doing and love to blame workers below them when issues happen, even though it was their negligence and incompetence that lead to these issues. Tons of Micromanaging. Lack of personal respect for employees as people and their time. High turnover because no one can stomach working there for more than 1 year, otherwise, management fires you after that point.

Champions Oncology Response

Jan 22, 2018 – Director, HR

It is highly likely that this comment is from a person we recently had to terminate due to poor performance. We have very high standards and when you do not meet them, you will be closely managed and... More

5. "Stay Away"

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great and there is a clear vision for the company.

Cons

Management doesn't trust their employees, high turn over. The lab is small, cramped and disorganized. Management tried to micro-manage EVERYTHING! Lots of overtime and weekend work.

6. "Excellent Organization-Great Management"

Pros

I have been working for Champions for more than 3 years, and the one things that continually strikes me is just how kind the management team is. Not only do they care about the success of the business, but they care and invest in their employees and help them grow in their careers.

The organization has been continuously growing over the past few years, which is a testament to how highly they are are viewed by their customers. I would recommend working here to any friend or family.

Cons

No cons to report about this organization. This has been a great place to work, and I have learned a great deal.

Advice to Management

No advice to report to management. They are highly engaged with employees.

7. "Seems good at first, but you're in for a ride! - Be cautious"

Former Employee - Associate in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time

Pros

Small company with about 80 employees. If you like that, then it's good for you. The idea of mouse models to see tumor growth is pretty good idea.

Cons

Execution with their mouse model development, clinical trial and other programs are very poor. I'm not saying this is a bad place to work, but they need to learn how to execute and do their programs efficiently and effectively according to FDA guidelines. You want to run a clinical trial, make sure you have the money (small company - take a look at their stock, which has taken a turn for the worst) to support operations and study related costs. Comply with regulations. Patient service side - stop telling the patients that that their tumor will grow! Giving cancer patients this false hope. Its not ethical. While I was there, it seems that they just wanted to grow their tumor bank and they would do anything to get that done.

There is only one HR person for the entire company, which can be frustrating when it comes to PTO etc. I've heard so many people (some upper mgmt) making negative comments about the HR individual. That's not acceptable at all.

Advice to Management

Put procedures and processes in place, so things actually get done. I feel like upper management are all old friends that they decided to hire. Just cause someone has a PhD does not mean their suited for the job. Stop with the pointless meeting, which take up peoples time away from their job. Its a meetings after meetings (internal), which ultimately have no end results. People get mad at each other (mgmt) and then get all upset.

Value your employees!. When they ask, is this company going anywhere and should I be concerned about my job, be honest with them. I walked into work and got laid off/terminated within an hour. Your excuse, we don't have funding/we're going in a different direction is unacceptable. Have the guts to be honest with your employees.

It'll be surprising how management responds to this post. i'm sure they'll say this employee was terminated for just cause and wanted to give a negative review.

8. "Great concept, poor execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable work, catered meetings, lots of interaction between teams and with clients, sponsored happy hours every quarter.

Cons

No training process (formal or informal) leading to everyone doing things their own style. No consistency or standardization leads to lots of problems. Over 80% of the employees that were "employee of the month" or promoted were fired within the next month, many of them on the week bonuses were supposed to be paid. Very low employee morale as a result of constant employee turnover. No one is vital or important to the company because no one has been trained. Poor middle management in every department, though the CEO is a pleasure to deal with. Sketchy practices.

Champions Oncology Response

Dec 16, 2016 – Director, HR

Major improvements to training have been made since this review was written. Additionally, turnover has dropped significantly due to changes in processes which have improved work flow and the... More

"Growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Champions Oncology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Mid-size company, lots of different job responsibilities.
    * Easy access to upper levels of management

Cons

* Appears to be quite a bit of turnover making it more difficult to establish the working relationships that make your job easier.

"Lacks integrity and operational abilities"

I worked at Champions Oncology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The concept of the company has potential and lots of opportunities to grow the technology in the translational space. There are good people at the company doing good work. It's hard to come up with many other pros knowing how little integrity there is throughout the organization.

Cons

Does not value employees or treat them fairly. Good people flee the company like rats jumping off a sinking ship. Many others are bullied, mislead or mistreated. HR is a joke. There are zero benefits. Opportunity for growth is hindered by managements desire not to pay anyone more. Company is not financially stable and lots of hand waiving goes on. The company is incredibly indecisive and major changes are rolled out routinely resulting in an inability to deliver on anything promised internally or externally. The biggest injustice however is to the patients. This test is not validated or covered by insurance. This assay should be classified as a medical device and the FDA should regulate its use in the clinic. However, patients pay tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket and they aren't seeing any return on investment. The number of patients actually helped by the test is almost negligible- and actual patient outcomes are difficult to quantify and are not reliably assessed. Much of the process is subjective and prone to error. Large research based projects are also mishandled and corporate clients are often frustrated by the number of deviations from the study. There is no commitment to conducting science in a controlled or ethical manner.

Advice to Management

Do things the right way and weed out those that aren't committed to integrity. Invest in operational infrastructure and retain quality employees. Reputation matters.