Champps Americana Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dean Vlahos

Pros
  • Great management staff, great coworkers, really good food, fun atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting, good quality food and beverage, fun atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked long hours and didn't make much money to show for it (in 6 reviews)

• The company is owned by Last Call LLC, which brought this brand out of bankruptcy, which means they are only trying to recoup losses (in 3 reviews)

1. "Management"

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Victor, NY

I worked at Champps Americana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had some of the best employees in the business. And for a while it was one of the best places to work. Unfortunately due to three bankruptcies in The Last 5 Years upper management is lost as to where they should go from here.

Cons

Upper management is loss as to where to go from here. We've lost many of our food specials and uniqueness to our menu items.

Advice to Management

Need to bring back to unique food items that we once had. Need to run more local beer specials. We also need to remodel they've been telling us we're going to get for five years.

2. "Started out great....ended terribly."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Champps Americana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lively, fast paced work environment.

Cons

Late hour, long shifts, constant management changes

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Champps Americana full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, shorter work schedule (47 - 50 hrs per week) in comparison to other management positions. Enjoyable management staff at local and corporate levels.

Cons

Constantly changing conceptual focus in an attempt to build sales, but never quite figuring it out. Bankruptcy has been filed twice in the last 2 years. Advancement becoming less and less likely as more stores close.

5. "The sparkle faded long ago"

Former Employee - Host/Trainer/Server/Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Host/Trainer/Server/Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Champps Americana full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I started as a host in 1998, the company was unique. The menu had great variety and it was a scratch kitchen. The pay for non-tipped employees was extremely competitive. We had fun promotions for dinner, late night, and weekends. The mangers were typically fair, hard working, and professional. I genuinely loved my job... until Fox and Hounds bought it, destroyed the concept, and ran the company into the ground.

Cons

After Fox and Hounds bought it, the menu went downhill so quickly. The uniqueness disappeared. The managers quit caring. Tips and clientele dropped off. The veteran staff left because no one was making money and the turnover rate went through the roof. We were open until 2:30 AM on Friday and Saturday. We had so many coupons, discounts, and crappy promotions that brought in horrible clientele. The menu was constantly changing to the point that no one was ever on the same page. And then suddenly the Worthington location closed and the staff found out by showing up to locked and chained up doors. Then boom! Easton closed the same way. The only store left in Columbus is the Lennox location near OSU. If I still worked there when those stores closed, I would have abandoned ship!! Oh! And we were open EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.OF.THE.YEAR. We never had a holiday off. And the company filed bankruptcy TWICE and after Fox and Hounds lost it, Last Call, LLC bought it. They were responsible for closing stores so they could recoup their losses.

Advice to Management

The managers went downhill with the unique concept and the company's money. Get out while you can!!

6. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Champps Americana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I usually make descent money on weekends. Servers are willing to help each other. The staff likes to go out together. It is pretty busy between Thursday through Saturday nights. It is a great place to work for college students that room with someone or live at home. The scheduling is very flexible; I know several people that work one night a week and others that work 40 hours a week.

Cons

Splitting parties happens often, and it takes away from the money that could have been made. Weekday mornings are terrible because the hostess is very biased about who she seats most. The income is too variable for me; it is not reliable enough to live on my own.

7. "Solid fast paced concept"

Former Employee - General Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - General Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Champps Americana full-time

Pros

Exciting, good quality food and beverage, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Unstable top management/ rotating ownership, Change in directions of concept multiple times.

Advice to Management

Keep Moving forward with the current direction.

8. "Previous Manager"

Former Employee - Bar Manager in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Bar Manager in Stafford, TX

I worked at Champps Americana (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you like FAST paced and money...

Cons

There really aren't any problems with working for this location!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Hostess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Champps Americana part-time

Pros

The money is great. Friendly co workers. Tips the very next day.

Cons

Get forced to work late into the night without a break. It's really dead after a certain time and you Just stand there and be bored which is just ridiculous. You can't ask to be cut even after a certain time because then they think you're being selfish. Stupid scheduling. Don't really have a cut time when you work nights. Feel like management doesn't care as much as they should.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. Don't make them stay late into the night when it is dead and boring. Give more breaks. Don't just stand there when an employee is struggling with something.

10. "Champps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Champps Americana (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Champps are very kind and friendly. From the moment I started I felt like I was part of a family. Being a team player is important to me.

Cons

The air conditioning is currently broken. This is frustrating because customers are leaving before ordering. It is also going under new ownership soon.

11. "Restaurant Bar Manager"

Current Employee - Restaurant & Bar Manager in Dundalk, MD
    Current Employee - Restaurant & Bar Manager in Dundalk, MD

I have been working at Champps Americana (Less than a year)

Pros

Food is ok if you want a good burger, lots of TV's for sports watching

Cons

No work life balance, long hours,