Chandler Macleod Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Chandler Macleod CEO Michelle Loader
Michelle Loader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The worst in the recruitment industry"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

There are a number of people that do the right thing with some fantastic potential (unfortunately does not make up for the rest of the bunch) they have employees that have been there for 10 years+ but for the life of me I don't know why.

The role was challenging and rewarding at times, but again not enough to make up for the toxic culture.

Cons

There is little to no professionalism at Chandler Macleod, when Recruit bought the business, there were a lot of changes that have transformed Chandler Macleod from a well known distinguished brand, into a joke within the recruitment industry.

When calling clients trying to generate new business, after stating I was calling from Chandler Macleod often I would hear a scoff or a long sigh at the end of the phone. There have been several reports of bullying within multiple offices with management just shunning the issue, demonstrating a "like it or leave it" mentality. Double Standards are rife as well, with some consultants almost boasting how they get to do things that's others are not allowed to do.

The females are the worst offenders trying to assert power by constantly putting down other members of staff.

Management are non-existent and offer no support. There are unrealistic expectations and on the off chance you achieve them there is no recognition given. It is the first company I have worked in that does not require their managers to do any work or bring business in.

Advice to Management

Care enough about your staff you employee to help them achieve their goals. Step in and do the right thing when employees are wronged.

Lead by example, if you expect your consultants to be on the phones, exceed their budgets and work ethically then you need to do the same. The whispers around the office suggest your employees do not respect you and you choose to ignore it. Leaders are meant to lead not turn around and point the finger at their team.

2. "Soul-destroying experience"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities
    Great city location for commute
    Most of the regular staff are nice on the surface, they will treat you professionally.
    If you don't mind being expected to answer emails every minute of the day, you will like it. You will get fast responses from other staff in the office about projects, questions, etc. Higher management aren't as available though.

Cons

Worked in a dozen different organisations in my life, they were the worst.
    Extra worked is dumped on the 'new' or 'junior' consultants, they end up staying until 7pm or later, even on Fridays.
    Everyone is fake. Everyone protects themselves and ignores the treatment of others. If someone is extremely unwell, they are afraid to even ask after their health/treatment because conversations are so shallow. If you ask after their health and they appreciate your concern, other staff quietly tell you later that it's 'not how we do things around here' and try to discourage you from caring.
    Extremely poor management, no opportunities to go to HR or to your 'one up' manager if you have an issue, you can be bullied and no one cares. When you tell a senior consultant about the bullying of others, they don't offer anything more than superficial advice that everyone needs to learn to 'toughen up' to survive the industry. Appalling.

Advice to Management

Accountability. Transparency. The person who was bullying people didn't get demoted until 6 people left the organisation. Who was monitoring?
    Support your staff. Recruitment has a high turnover rate as it is but there is no 'culture' left at CMG.
    Stop talking about innovation if what you do is interrogate and belittle people who ask questions and want to be involved in process change or improvement.
    If you 'under promise and over deliver' with clients, you need to do the same with staff. I left disillusioned and disappointed, but I started out excited to be there.

3. "Should be great, isn't!"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Steeped in history. Great footprint in some places. Had a bunch of great consultants.

Cons

Abysmal leadership below the CEO (who is good).

4. "review"

Former Employee - Processing
    Former Employee - Processing

I worked at Chandler Macleod (More than a year)

Pros

good agency to work with if u are looking for casual jobs

Cons

Sometimes get call 1 hr before work

5. "Full-time for 3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the personalities but not their skills sets or ability to 'manage'

Cons

Not a warm, friendly environment. Don't feel valued

6. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Operator in Whyalla (Australia)
    Former Employee - Operator in Whyalla (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They find me plenty of work and friendly staff they are willing to help me with anything i need

Cons

I honestly have not found any cons so far while working for chandler McCloud been great so far

7. "Mostly downhill."

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is good mobility within the company. There seems to be a good graduate program, although small. Offices are generally modern and in good locations.

Cons

Significant cost cutting pressure driving desire for quick fixes and hard targets everywhere. Little to no culture in most divisions and low morale in the wake of significant redundancies. Staff turnover in some divisions is very high. Respect for some senior management is low.

Advice to Management

Focus on the staff and long term profit prospects, not quick wins and unachievable targets. Reward staff for experience and time served.

8. "Recruitment Consultant"

Pros

Easy laid back work culture, CMG have a hard time recruiting consultants so there is very little performance management or KPI's enforced.
    The people in the company are all really friendly, nevr met someone i didnt get along with, generally the people are why most people stay with CMG as long as they do. though they do have a high turnover rate

Cons

Management out of touch with their internal employees and with the market, most have been in the industry for many years and the way the managers see things, their tactics and business plans are all based on market knowledge from 10+ years ago.
    CMG pay poorly, whilst the commission structure is okay the base salaries are far below market for a recruiter.
    Turnover, mostly because of the pay and the systems being difficult to deal with. the main operating computer system is a joke, constantly freezing and crashing.
    No opportunity for career progression, whilst i stepped into CMG with the view to grow in the company, its become blatantly obvious now that recruitment consultants can never step out of a consultants desk, as CMG are unable to hire anyone new to the business.

Advice to Management

Pay better $$$ to motivate employees to fix the problem, stop trying to look after your clients from a management level, if you look after your consultants the consultants will look after the clients.
    Fix the system, how long are you going to wait before making a desperately needed change, consultants are unable to do their job because of a simple computer problem. it WILL be the demise of CMG.

9. "Client Enablement Advisor"

Pros

Promote from within and strong females in leadership positions

Cons

Centralization of job functions takes variety out of work and made it feel like a production line.

10. "Journey with Chandler Macleod - Singapore"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Chandler Macleod (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chandler Macleod has provided me with the platform to make it to the next level of recruitment. Got exceptional support from our GM to ensure that I meet all my goals.

Highly competitive commission scheme, 21 days AL, PLUS comprehensive dental coverage.

Cons

Proud to have been part of the Chandler Macleod family:) If you are looking for a successful recruitment career with positive and encouraging culture, then CMG is the place to be!

Advice to Management

Keep investing on people. It goes a long way of putting your consultants first before anything else.