Chandler Macleod Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Chandler Macleod CEO Michelle Loader
Michelle Loader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, large organisation with opportunity to grow (in 6 reviews)

• I was in a good team within the Brisbane office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no training or career advancement opportunities (in 3 reviews)

• no one seems to actually check the activity so people are getting away with pretty much doing nothing (in 4 reviews)

1. "Salary"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Competitive base rate - on par with industry

Cons

Changes to commission structure was behind industry standard

Advice to Management

Stretch goal bonuses would help top up to market

2. "Supportive and Inclusive environment"

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Team culture, social activities and a good client portfolio. Management gives encouragement to run our desks as if our own, leaving us feeling in control of our success.

Cons

Some people come in looking for a free ride and they drag down the culture. Staff that have been here a long time are treated differently and paid an offensive amount above others.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but please treat us all equally.

3. "Progressive company, could not recommend enough."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chandler’s diversity and inclusion is second to none, we are always given opportunities to help out the community - time off work to help the homeless, money donated for charity runs and support on what matters most etc.
    We are always recognised for great work, weekly nominations and winners, monthly awards, ability to nominate other employees (even if not a manager) and competitions that allow us to strive for something great, San Fran holiday, Japan, large cash prizes etc.
    In my experience, leaders have always taken time to hear your ideas and we have recently just started doing more training, where we lacked slightly before we are picking up in again and it is very exciting.
    Those that align with Chander’s core values and have a team mindset will do great here, we do get busy and the pressure is there but anyone willing to step up and help another team, not have a ‘that is below me’ mindset during busy periods then you will grow and go amazingly. Most that leave not for career progression in other areas, generally do not align well and do better in a company that is less inclusive.

Cons

Training has previously been lacking over the last year, though management has listened and this has changed, can’t see a real con at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep going as you are, I have never worked in a company where management has been this reactive to what we need or want and where you don’t get treated like a naughty school kid. It’s great to be in a place where your opinion is valued.

4. "On the right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong customer and candidate focus locally
    Clear market focus and strong points of difference. Growing in all core markets.

Cons

Segregated business lacking cohesion at national level

Advice to Management

Empower Unit Managers and General Managers. Dividing and conquering does not work

5. "One of the best companies I have worked for!"

Current Employee - Business Unit Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for CMG in Perth for 2 years. The company is progressive, inclusive and forward thinking in their approach. They are striving for a more inclusive approach which is building momentum every month.

Cons

CMG have a flat management structure. However, management are open enough to think about new areas in which to develop and generate new opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to include staff in what the business wants to strive for and continue empowering unit managers to achieve their full potential!

6. "Some perks, but plenty of opportunity to do more"

I worked at Chandler Macleod part-time

Pros

Some great people in the team

Cons

No employee development - not much practicing what they 'preach' in terms of looking after staff. Was not paid well, and before leaving found out much less junior people were being paid the same as me which was disappointing.

7. "Time for a change and investment in training"

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really friendly and inclusive recruiters. Lot’s of morning teas and celebrations of diversity. Flexible working environment and great for working mums.

Cons

Management are the failing in this business. There is no leadership from them. They are not very visible to you for help on a day-to-day basis. Sadly there is no training or career development and lack of sales focus. I have worked in 3 other recruitment firms and sadly they are hands down the worst when it comes to sales. KPI’s are non existent and most people are making up their sales call as they go along. Lot’s of left messages registered as calls, lots of receptionists registered as contacts, but there’s no-one to lead the recruiters and show them a different way of doing things and no one seems to actually check the activity so people are getting away with pretty much doing nothing! Sure they take calls when they come in, but no one’s being proactive and trying to win new business. They are happy to sit on accounts.

Advice to Management

Training is the missing link in this business. I’ve worked for other industry veterans and they have far better training than Chandlers. I think they could benefit from fresh faces in the management team. Seems stagnant and complacent.

"Disorganised & disfunctional"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got paid on time and have the sort of facilities you'd expect from a company of their size and precious standing in the market

Cons

Chandler Macleod are way past their best. Have trouble hiring good quality recruiters and retaining the few they are able to attract. Operational management are next to useless and in my time with the company I couldn't work out what they actually did. KPI's are faked, fill rates are faked. All because there's no direction, training or motivation to actually make the calls and do the activity. Having read through previous sales calls there are plenty of senior managers registering "sales calls" to receptionists! It's so bad it's laughable and is why Chandler Macleod are getting completely left behind by the rest of the market. I actually had a competitor laugh at me when I told them where I worked! Zero training to help their staff get up to speed with the rest of the market and it is very clickey environment. If you're not in with Operational Management then you might as well get your coat.

Advice to Management

Retrain and re-engage your recruiters. Set clear paths to earn commission. I would seriously look at replacing operational management and head hunt someone from a competitor that will lead by example and drag Chandler Macleod back in line with how the market is now. If not I fear the company will die a long slow death of 1000 cuts.

9. "Strongly suggest to avoid this company"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be a very pleasant working environment although salary was quite low.

Cons

Management was very poor in managing staff retention. Promotion was given to people who have good connection to the decision maker not because of performance. They can change the account/desk anytime so bonus was not even in view. Very high turnover which shows poor staff’s satisfaction. Recently keep replacing good consultants to fresher or junior for cheaper option.

Advice to Management

Working with competitor now. Your improvement is not my interest.

10. "Like Marmite - You'll either love it or hate it!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, modern and centrally located offices. Flexible working and a Historically strong brand. If you are in the "clique" I can see you being very happy at CMG, if you're not you'll be gone in under 6 months.

Cons

No training. Lack of real management or leadership at an Operational level and very clique. Flexibility is not offered to all employees. Some reap the rewards while other are persecuted for leaving early etc. There is also way too much gossiping and back stabbing.

Advice to Management

You genuinely need to treat everyone in the same way. Favouritism is losing you people. If you offer "flexibility" it can't be offered to one person and another person gets penalised for the same behaviour. Need more training and competitor analysis. CMG are getting torn apart by it's competitors in some of it's specialist brands including IT.