Chandler Macleod Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Chandler Macleod CEO Michelle Loader
Michelle Loader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, large organisation with opportunity to grow (in 5 reviews)

• They find me plenty of work and friendly staff they are willing to help me with anything i need (in 2 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, social vibe, city centre offices , good training, no micro management, team nights out, team lunches, incentives, commissions and national and international staff trips.

Cons

Sometimes there's no sugar for my morning coffee.

2. "Recruitment Consultant"

I have been working at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Great people, large organisation with opportunity to grow

Cons

No variety in day-to-day responsibilities

3. "Company needs a management over-haul"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand, great facilities, for the most part really inclusive staff. Flexible working environment. Some great people, who I've really enjoyed working with over the years.

Cons

Zero training. No top down management. Unrealistic expectations and favouritism is rife and people get promoted not on merit, but on their relationship with operational management.

Advice to Management

Seek training for yourself and the rest of the CMG team. Lack of ongoing training is putting your staff at a significant disadvantage to your competitors and is seeing you loose too many staff members that go on to be successful for other recruitment firms.

4. "Worth avoiding unless looking for first time experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture within workers due to seige mentality

Cons

Shambles from a management perspective
    No undertanding of specialist recruitment
    Very political

Advice to Management

Be honest with people, have transparency and develop a strong culture

5. "Changing Pains"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Legacy name and most people have heard of Chandler Macleod. With all the changes there are opportunities to make your make on the business.

Cons

3 CEO in the last 3years to much change and focused on cost cutting and profit. Not spending on growth or investing in the business for future changes to the market.

Advice to Management

You need to spend money to make money. There needs to be a balance on between the profit and growth.

"The worst in the recruitment industry"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

There are a number of people that do the right thing with some fantastic potential (unfortunately does not make up for the rest of the bunch) they have employees that have been there for 10 years+ but for the life of me I don't know why.

The role was challenging and rewarding at times, but again not enough to make up for the toxic culture.

Cons

There is little to no professionalism at Chandler Macleod, when Recruit bought the business, there were a lot of changes that have transformed Chandler Macleod from a well known distinguished brand, into a joke within the recruitment industry.

When calling clients trying to generate new business, after stating I was calling from Chandler Macleod often I would hear a scoff or a long sigh at the end of the phone. There have been several reports of bullying within multiple offices with management just shunning the issue, demonstrating a "like it or leave it" mentality. Double Standards are rife as well, with some consultants almost boasting how they get to do things that's others are not allowed to do.

The females are the worst offenders trying to assert power by constantly putting down other members of staff.

Management are non-existent and offer no support. There are unrealistic expectations and on the off chance you achieve them there is no recognition given. It is the first company I have worked in that does not require their managers to do any work or bring business in.

Advice to Management

Care enough about your staff you employee to help them achieve their goals. Step in and do the right thing when employees are wronged.

Lead by example, if you expect your consultants to be on the phones, exceed their budgets and work ethically then you need to do the same. The whispers around the office suggest your employees do not respect you and you choose to ignore it. Leaders are meant to lead not turn around and point the finger at their team.

"Soul-destroying experience"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities
    Great city location for commute
    Most of the regular staff are nice on the surface, they will treat you professionally.
    If you don't mind being expected to answer emails every minute of the day, you will like it. You will get fast responses from other staff in the office about projects, questions, etc. Higher management aren't as available though.

Cons

Worked in a dozen different organisations in my life, they were the worst.
    Extra worked is dumped on the 'new' or 'junior' consultants, they end up staying until 7pm or later, even on Fridays.
    Everyone is fake. Everyone protects themselves and ignores the treatment of others. If someone is extremely unwell, they are afraid to even ask after their health/treatment because conversations are so shallow. If you ask after their health and they appreciate your concern, other staff quietly tell you later that it's 'not how we do things around here' and try to discourage you from caring.
    Extremely poor management, no opportunities to go to HR or to your 'one up' manager if you have an issue, you can be bullied and no one cares. When you tell a senior consultant about the bullying of others, they don't offer anything more than superficial advice that everyone needs to learn to 'toughen up' to survive the industry. Appalling.

Advice to Management

Accountability. Transparency. The person who was bullying people didn't get demoted until 6 people left the organisation. Who was monitoring?
    Support your staff. Recruitment has a high turnover rate as it is but there is no 'culture' left at CMG.
    Stop talking about innovation if what you do is interrogate and belittle people who ask questions and want to be involved in process change or improvement.
    If you 'under promise and over deliver' with clients, you need to do the same with staff. I left disillusioned and disappointed, but I started out excited to be there.

8. "Should be great, isn't!"

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time

Pros

Steeped in history. Great footprint in some places. Had a bunch of great consultants.

Cons

Abysmal leadership below the CEO (who is good).

9. "review"

Former Employee - Processing
    Former Employee - Processing

I worked at Chandler Macleod (More than a year)

Pros

good agency to work with if u are looking for casual jobs

Cons

Sometimes get call 1 hr before work

"Full-time for 3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Chandler Macleod full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the personalities but not their skills sets or ability to 'manage'

Cons

Not a warm, friendly environment. Don't feel valued