Change.org Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Ben Rattray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They also have a flexible work from home policy which makes my work/life balance feel as though it is valuable to them (in 6 reviews)

• 5 weeks vacation and 18 weeks parental leave (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Centralized decision making, need to open up a bit (in 7 reviews)

• Centralized decision making for EVERYTHING, not nearly enough delegation (in 3 reviews)

"A very special place."

I worked at Change.org full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am forever grateful for my time at Change.org. I have never learned more from a job, or worked with such incredibly inspiring, talented, kind, compassionate and just all around wonderful human beings. As a company, they do a great job of keeping the mission and the site's users at the heart of the work, which helps keep employees connected to the mission and contributes to feeling the impact of your work. A truly rewarding and special place to work.

Cons

The layoffs last summer and the road to sustainability have proven to be challenges for Change, but I know the executive team is doing its best to support employees and keep Change.org in the world to continue to help millions of people create the change they want to see in the world.

"Hollowed out, directionless company with no mission."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Change.org full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of truly great people have been convinced to work at Change.org over the years, although most of them were laid off either when the company decided to ditch their revenue-generating unit, or three months later when they realized that they can't make money if they're not doing anything to make money.

Cons

This business (don't be fooled, it is a business, not a non-profit) has no actual business model, and constantly shifts the goals they purport to be pursuing when it becomes clear they're nowhere near reaching them or are in fact headed in the wrong direction. Revenue was abandoned for signatures was abandoned for Monthly Active Users was abandoned for crowdfunding was abandoned.

In the U.S., they ran massive campaigns and communications departments that actually had a lot of talented, good people managed by weak, ineffective managers who were too afraid to rock the boat to talk about the massive systemic limitations of the platform.

This entire broken system is wrapped in a culture of obligatory joy and happiness. You don't have colleagues, you have "frolleagues" because everyone is your friend! ... or else. Negativity or disengagement from social norms would be cause for ostracization and eventual termination.

"Loving Change.org!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Change.org full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Change for six months and am absolutely in love! I could see myself staying here for a while.

- Amazing opportunities for growth and employee happiness/needs are extremely important to each department.
    - Love the benefits- 5 weeks of vacation, 18 weeks of maternity leave. They also have a flexible work from home policy which makes my work/life balance feel as though it is valuable to them.
    - Everyone is so smart and working for such a great mission. They also make the effort to celebrate the accomplishments of their users/members as well.

Cons

I am aware that the company has undergone a good amount of changes in the last couple of years which can be hard, but I think that the way the executives handle it is extremely professional and caring. They are very transparent and are making efforts to make decisions that are best for the company and their employees.

"Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Change.org full-time

Pros

I have been at Change.org for one year. I love where I work and I couldn't imagine working as hard anywhere else. I have worked at several organizations, both big and small, prior to change.org and none have come close to being as incredible, impactful on my development, and eye opening. My colleagues are genuinely humble, passionate, hyper intelligent, and personable. The learning opportunities never end and management has become so transparent- doing everything they can to have cultivate a great culture. We have top notch benefits and an outstanding work life balance. We do incredibly hard work as a business and I love being part of an organization that supports the forward movement of so many important global issues. The changes we have had this year have only made us a healthier organization that is set up for long term success.

Cons

We had to have a downsize in staff over the past year, to make sure we are on track for long term success.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent! It's very refreshing.

"Amazing team"

Pros

A great place to work. People are cared for and really like working together. Benefits are great, with very generous paid leave. Team culture is strong. Very intelligent, kind, talented, motivated, passionate, fun people to work with. Making a big global impact for social change, and more than 150 million people are using Change.org to win tens of thousands of campaigns on issues they care about.

Cons

The company went through a rough patch recently while it started to shift revenue model. This meant people were laid off, but the strategic change is necessary and Change.org worked hard to make sure that the people affected were treated well (generous 3-month severance payouts, career transition counseling, training, network opportunities, job referrals, etc).

Advice to Management

Keep working on getting the revenue model right.

"Great employees. Horrible leadership."

Pros

I worked alongside some of the best people of my career. Great health, parental leave, and vacation benefits. Amazing mission.

Cons

The mission is amazing, but the leadership is incapable of delivering on it. The last year has been a mass exodus of layoffs and others abandoning ship. There is an impenetrable inner circle comprised almost entirely of white men. The company is mostly run by people with little to no experience aside from Change.org.

Advice to Management

New leadership.

"Meaningful mission and tight-knit community"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Change.org full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tight-knit family-like culture: Despite the fact that we're a global company, there's a lot of camaraderie across time zones. I love the "Changing Times," an instagram and facebook account filled with photos and videos from our offices.

-Meaningful mission: Especially in today's political climate, it's inspiring to work at a company that is trying to create a more engaged and responsive democracy.

-Good leadership in PD: Our VPP and other leaders in product are doing a great job of listening to our users and employees and incorporating everyone's feedback when developing roadmaps. We recently had company-wide brainstorming sessions identifying problems in user journeys and brainstorming solutions. It was great to collaborate with people outside of my discipline and to feel that my input was valued.

Cons

-Salary/benefits: If you're looking for a very high salary and fancy benefits, Change.org is probably not for you. They do try to be competitive with salaries, but it's obviously no Facebook.

-Not yet sustainable: We're currently not making enough money to be sustainable which means we rely a lot on investors (like many other startups). This led to a lay off in September. When they made those cuts they did so using conservative revenue modeling, so that they wouldn't have to cut any more jobs in the future. I feel safe in my job and optimistic about new revenue streams, but it's still a startup and a less secure place to work than Google, for instance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I appreciate that leaders at Change have enough confidence in their employees to not micromanage, which allows them the space to provide strategic vision.

"Meaningful strides towards a brighter future"

I have been working at Change.org full-time

Pros

Change is a fairly unique place. In addition to your traditional tech company organizational structure, it has country teams - on-the-ground forces in countries around the world that discover and amplify the voices of the citizens they work for. This means many of the people who work at Change want to genuinely make the world a better place for the people they serve. "Changing the world" is such a commonly abused expression in silicon valley that it's mostly lost its meaning, but I can guarantee you that is not the case here. We actively work to create the tools, communities and revenue support lines to enable our users to create the change they want to see. That doesn't mean it always works or that Change.org was the primary reason the change occurred, but it is a genuine focus of the company and it means that by and large the people you are surrounded with have hearts of gold.

I work in PD (product development). Here are some of the things I love about working here:

- Founded on strong values and team culture
    - We celebrate each other's successes
    - We celebrate the victories our platform contributes to in weekly team-wide calls
    - Out of a 1-10 on the "crazy mission-driven with blinders on" scale I'd put Change at a 3 (low + good); people have been here for years and know how hard it is to make a social change company really work
    - Change remains at the vanguard of offering incredible parental leave with 18 weeks paid time off, which you can take all at once or intersperse with working hours
    - As an engineer it wasn't always possible to truly take time off because the infrastructure was in a state of massive upgrade but that's all mostly settled thanks to our transition to AWS and in the process upgrades to server scaffolding, deployment, performance measurement, etc
    - Despite my years of experience in engineering, rarely a week has gone by where I haven't learned something new from other engineers
    - Very strong testing and code review culture
    - Polyglot shop where a native Android app and sophisticated JavaScript-powered website meets backend services written in Rails, Node, Go
    - Weekly optional engineering leads meeting discussing technical debt, process improvements, technical decision-making
    - Friday "demo" hour where anyone can get up and talk about a feature, refactor, tool, product idea, etc
    - Deployments anywhere from 2-5x a day
    - Willingness to listen to critical feedback and evolve the company for the better

Cons

Like many companies finding their way, Change has jumped from one product strategy to the next in search of a revenue bellwether. Change does well but this is a business, and it needs to have a product that performs as well for its users as it does for its company. In that pursuit we have had missteps - ideas that at the time seemed great but in hindsight couldn't create the type of high value our users would benefit the most from.

Fortunately that is changing where at least in PD we have stabilized on a process of 1) Analyzing our existing product "value gaps", 2) Bubbling up great ideas from anyone, 3) Regularly scheduled meetings to have those ideas legitimately critiqued, 4) Pursue those ideas wrapped in a solid experiment framework, 5) Feedback loop sessions to facilitate learning. This process isn't an accident; it is an intentional shift away from the top-down decision making of the past.

In the last year that has resulted in big features like notifications, weekly campaign digests, campaign communities to shift the power to petition supporters, a subscription program; releases including a native Android app, a more robust email foundation, a foundation for country teams to create and distribute content to their users, and a robust infrastructure on AWS. In addition hundreds of other releases that make the entirety of the site experience an engaging one for our users.

While these might seem like standard fare for any tech company, they are big achievements for a company that has in the past been largely focused on a "sign-and-exit" transactional experience.

There is still a long way to go to honing in on a smooth flow from Idea -> Deliverable and reducing our technical debt (this company is 10 years old - there's a lot to pay down!). It also needs to ensure that management enables "ground forces" and becomes more inclusive.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on big projects that can deliver high value to users. Resist the urge to jump around from one idea to the next. Focus on educational/growth opportunities for staff to take on more responsibility.

More than ever I think Change is in the right place culturally, technologically and strategically to continue making strides towards delivering high value to its users and the business. But management needs to stay diligent to ensure we don't fall back to old ways that didn't work for Change.

"Inspiring Mission Spoiled by Horrendous Leadership"

I have been working at Change.org full-time

Pros

A bold and important mission.
    The most talented non-management team I've ever been part of.
    Good salary and benefits

Cons

What was once an amazing company is crumbling because of incompetent leadership at the top. The CEO and COO fail to empower their team, change direction on a whim, and promote based on politics not results -- all of which leads to an incredibly talented team working at ~60% of their collective potential.

Promises of transparency, opportunities for advancement and promoting collaboration among teams have remained unfulfilled. More than anything it's sad to see what's happened to Change.org

Advice to Management

Trust your team, empower non-managers to do their jobs, be much more transparent and make sure your actions match your words.

"Good experience overall, but one person was the worst boss I've ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Change.org (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool, smart, competent people with a strong sense of commitment.

Cons

When I worked there as an underpaid, glorified intern after graduating from college, one of the higher ups in the NYC office was unforgettably condescending and hilariously serious about assigning me meaningless tasks, bordering on the absurd. As punishment for ordering foods for the office that he deemed too "frivolous," (foods that I had ordered on the request of his colleagues), he forced me to create a spreadsheet where I categorized each and every item on her food order as either a "staple" item or a "frivolous" item. My original attempt to draft this typology received several corrections and thinly veiled reprimands for my inability to understand, for example, that PBR is a staple. He never mistreated me or directed me towards this kind of meaningless garbage in public, only in private. I still pull up the emails from time to time to relive the insults to my intelligence and to have a good laugh with friends.