ChannelAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

ChannelAdvisor CEO David Spitz
David Spitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The senior leadership team does not trust employees to work from home (in 5 reviews)

• They pretend to care about work/life balance but all that matters is perception (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent place to work"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

Fair, collaborative, challenging work environment where employees are provided with excellent training and support, but also are given the freedom and resources to let their brilliance shine. We change constantly to align with a rapidly changing e-commerce industry--great for those who like a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. Benefits are comprehensive, thoughtful, and expanding all the time to be well above average.

Cons

Still some growing pains on the road to becoming a larger company. Management is addressing these aspects, however.

Oct 24, 2016 – Senior Global Recruiter

Thank you for your thoughtful review. It's great to hear that you are enjoying ChannelAdvisor and we hope you continued to thrive in your career here.

2. "Engineering"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Good work life balance
    Smart coworkers and collaborative work environment
    Results oriented atmosphere
    Fast-pace, interesting work.

Cons

No training at all
    Average compensation
    Benefits are okay but can be better
    Noisy working space
    Uncertain future in highly competitive market

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to competitors, work for the long run, not the quick return.

Jul 11, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the collaborative environment and the work! We will continue to work hard to ensure we keep our... More

"Good company, difficult sales environment"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Morrisville, NC

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The software is first-rate, the work environment is good, co-workers are both nice and helpful, and they are in a space (E-commerce) that is only going to be more relevant as time goes on. There are also really good benefits.

Cons

For sales, it is a difficult environment. I don't feel I was really hired to be an account executive. Rather, it was more like I was hired to be a business development rep with a better title and a better base salary. 90% of my day was spent prospecting and cold-calling and not a lot of time spent actually selling. That would be have been fine if there were more businesses you could actually sell to. But ChannelAdvisor is the most expensive option for what they do, they require up-front payments for their entry-level tiers, and require new clients to sign a 12 month contract (when their competitors allow monthly payments and no long-term contracts) and their sales team has spent the last 16 years beating up the market with tons of calls and e-mails. So the problem is that trying to find businesses to sell to is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Their total addressable market is less than .02%.

There also was not a strong correlation between hard work and success. Some work very hard and do well and others work equally as hard and do poorly. They have a sales lead rotation to determine who gets which leads that come in (when they do come in). A lot of that comes down to luck. If you're lucky you might get a lead that turns into an $80,000 opp that closes in a month. If you're unlucky you get a $10,000 opp that might close in 6 months, if at all. And there's no rhyme or reason behind who gets which leads. But don't count on getting many leads in at all.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is...stop hiring so many salespeople. The market you're chasing can't support a sales team of 70 people. If you've got 70 sales people, most likely is that only 15 or so are actually doing well and everyone else is struggling. If I were you I would keep the sales team to about 40 people tops.

Aug 17, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed our work environment, colleagues, and software. Regarding your experience on the sales team, we will review... More

4. "Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    - Great Culture
    - Great Benefits

Very much a work hard play hard environment. If you put your mind to it and really grind, this job can be very rewarding.

Cons

- Company is growing, GROWING PAINS... not sure which direction they need to head, but have an idea

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and transparent with your employees. Hold MANAGERS ACCOUNTABLE.

Aug 8, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are thrilled to hear you enjoy our culture as it is extremely important to us as we continue to grow! Accountability is a core value of... More

5. "A Great Place!"

Current Employee - Sales in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

-A Pro-Family Work Environment
    -Great Pay and Benefits
    -A Relevant and Progressive Industry

Compared to other similar organizations, ChannelAdvisor seems to really understand that its employees have lives outside of work and respect that. They seem to hire the right people so they can trust their employees to get their work done independently and who actually value their jobs. Training is good and the pay is very competitive. They truly reward those that put the work in. With 2017 being dubbed the death of retail, it's also a great industry to be in. Maybe I have just been with poor companies in the past, but ChannelAdvisor is a great place to be.

Cons

They could improve on diversity, but it's a growing company and they are trying. As a female in a male heavy industry, I also understand that many females are not interested in a career in IT, so that's also a fact that needs to be pointed out.

Advice to Management

Be more like the managers that are leading the top teams.

Jun 13, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with ChannelAdvisor. We value our employees and work hard to offer competitive pay and benefits. We will consider the advice you’ve... More

6. "Excellent medical & dental"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent medical & dental covered 100% by employer. Great team playing people, good technology. Diverse client base, wide amount of services for clients.

Cons

Could offer ESPP, fitness allowances and better 401k match. Don't be so rigid on sales processes. Managers should support teams equally, not play favorites. If struggling it's for a reason, look into "how can I help you succeed" vs just saying make more calls when you are already doing 200-300 calls a week

Advice to Management

Most technology companies offer ESPP. Turnover & morale could use some work

Jun 13, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your feedback. ChannelAdvisor recognizes the importance and value of providing top benefits at little or no cost to our employees. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with... More

"Lots of opportunity. More focus on employees needed."

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to jump right in a learn. Very hands on. Working with large brands and marketplaces.

Cons

At the time of my employment, organization was EXTREMELY Sales top-heavy. Every other organization that was meant to support Sales was stretched beyond their means. Incredibly talented individuals but were being burnt out.

Advice to Management

Invest in PM, Operations, Marketing more to help improve the product and support Sale.

Jun 2, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your feedback. We will consider the advice you have provided and evaluate how to improve.

"Taking steps backwards..."

Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great total benefit package.
    Accepting, collaborative and diverse workforce.
    Recent leadership hires seem like a step in the right direction, after turning over most of the executive team.

Cons

For a fast-moving company, in a fast-paced industry, they seem to be moving in reverse - going 'old school.'

Turnover is high, and employees are thought of as numbers, not people. When I left the organization, nobody asked why I was leaving, or what might have lead me to stay.

Flexibility has become more limited. In an increasingly mobile world, when a lot of companies are moving towards remote employees, ChannelAdvisor lets you know that working from home is frowned upon. In fact, they have moved people out of management roles who were remote, to bring said management in-house.

There is no training to speak of, outside of Sales, and Sales training isn't very strong, since a majority of Salespeople fail. There's no management training, so if you're a great employee, you'll get promoted, but aren't given any tools to be successful.

Leadership makes up their minds, and are unwilling to listen to the suggestions of the people. The environment has sucked the life out of a LOT of really talented, intelligent 'thinkers' because they do not want innovators, they want people who will do what management tells them to do.

With all that said, there are exceptions, which is another con unto itself. Different teams are treated differently - there's no really consistent message across the organization.

Advice to Management

You've got some really good people on board, don't stifle them - encourage them to innovate, lead and grow.

Listen to your employees wants/needs/suggestions, they're closer to the ground than you are.

Focus on being really good at 1 or 2 things, instead of mediocre at everything. There's no shame in investing in your US based operations, and solidifying them, before rolling out unsuccessful foreign ventures.

"...they knew one thing that all great men should know: that they didn't know everything." - Simon Wilder

May 8, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed the benefits and working with the wonderful employees of ChannelAdvisor. ChannelAdvisor is committed to hiring the... More

9. "Implementation Specialist"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great environment, amazing managers and coworkers, great benefits

Cons

A little more information on career tracks

Apr 7, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are so glad your ChannelAdvisor experience has been such a positive one! We encourage you to speak to your manager to discuss your career path. Our ​​employees​'​ growth and development ​are... More

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great people that are not only smart, but care about the work
    -Excellent Medical/Dental benefits.
    -HR/Upper Management listens to wants/needs of employees
    -Fun environment
    -Great upward mobility
    -Excellent flexibility. Great for families

Cons

-Work can get overwhelming, especially during holiday season

Mar 23, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback! We love that you enjoy the work environment and colleagues. HR and Upper Management are doing their best to listen to employees and we're glad to see that has been... More