ChannelAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2020

3.2
ChannelAdvisor CEO David Spitz
David Spitz
Pros
  • "Great benefits, awesome team play, great boss(in 22 reviews)

• "Great people that are not only smart, but care about the work(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Inside Sales is a school for learning how to cheat and go behind people's backs to get ahead(in 9 reviews)

• "No one really knows what they are doing(in 8 reviews)

1. "Impressive First Impression"

in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor

Pros

Recently joined the company. I have been extremely impressed with the transparency and communications from the leadership team and HR during the COVID-19 pandemic. Company has recommended work-from-home, and leaders took swift actions to ensure we had the resources we needed.

Cons

None at the moment. As a new employee, a little challenging, but appreciate the support provided by the company and my manager.

ChannelAdvisor2020-03-22

April 17, 2020Chief Executive Officer

Thank you. This situation has tested all of us and we deeply appreciate how resilient and focused everyone has been as we’ve navigated COVID-19. David (CEO)

"Top Talent, Weak Executive Leadership"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ChannelAdvisor has some very smart, talented employees across the organization, and everyone is more than willing to help. Company takes overall good care of its employees - health benefits, 401K contributions, RSUs, etc.

Cons

For some reason, leadership is always trying to pivot, typically from the bad decisions made the month, quarter, or year before. In general, leadership mandates new "KPIs" without thinking deeply about the long-term ramifications of its implementation. Invariably, this has led to staff turnover, high customer churn, low morale, and lack of direction. There are bright spots, but the underlying politicking, lack of transparency, and phony, vapid messaging (mission statement boards hung up around the bathroom and hashtags aren't meaningful if not acted upon) lead to poor outcomes.

ChannelAdvisor2020-03-24

April 17, 2020Chief Executive Officer

I have to admit this review surprises me. Based on consistent company-wide feedback, we have made huge improvements in transparency, our strategic framework guiding our priorities, and accountability to our core values. We review our core priorities and attainment against them in every quarterly all hands. I would love to get more constructive feedback from you as to where you think we are falling short. Please feel free to reach out directly or through HR if you prefer. David (CEO)

"Operational Nightmare"

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

-Decent Pay -Flexibility on hours -Ability to wfh regularly -Interesting Industry

Cons

-No company culture Each department is "siloed". There needs to be more crossover between departments in meetings, training, and outings. Not just posters on the wall. -Lack of knowledge No one really knows what they are doing. Everyone relies on more veteran employees to train them on topics they are still learning themselves which leads to inaccurate information being passed down continuously. -Ideas for innovation are ignored Ideas are passed up the management train and then disappear. When you follow-up on an idea, you simply get the runaround. -Too much trial and error The company tends to take the "throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks approach". While I understand you need to try ideas you can also get input from the teams themselves which would spare some of the bad ideas from being pushed out. -Give more attention to your operations Lots of these issues can be fixed by working on the company as a whole and not just sales. It's great to bring in business, but if you can't support it once its in, there is no point in adding them in the first place. This, in turn, becomes a horrible employee and customer experience.

ChannelAdvisor2020-03-22

April 17, 2020Chief Executive Officer

Ok… thank you for the feedback! I hope you find a role that’s a better fit than what we were able to provide. David (CEO)

"Company will not care for you"

1.0

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

I had really great team leads when I was there.

Cons

If you get sick and want your company to support you then this is not the place for you. I worked here for 7 years then got sick. I fell into a coma and was let go while I was in ICU. My husband had to deal with them doing that while I was literally on life support.

ChannelAdvisor2020-04-02

April 13, 2020Chief Executive Officer

I am sorry to hear about your health challenges. Although I cannot comment on individual situations for privacy reasons, I strongly disagree that we are unsupportive of employees who become ill, having personally been involved with several such situations over the years. We offer robust benefits and leave policies and do our best to go above and beyond to support employees in situations like this while being equitable to all employees. Unfortunately, like any employer, we are not able to extend employment indefinitely after leave and other long-term benefits are exhausted if there is no plausible accommodation to return to work. I sincerely hope you are on a path to long-term recovery and wish you and your family well after this hardship. David (CEO)

5. "Get out what you put in"

in Durham, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor

Pros

Hard work pays off and at ChannelAdvisor that doesn’t go unnoticed. Putting in time and effort goes along way when you continue to help your team grow. Whether it’s engineering a new tool or helping clients grow YOY, you’re continuing to make a difference. Benefits Culture Flexibility High morale The talent I can go on and on

Cons

With any agency it’s difficult to meet everyone’s expectations no matter the cycle. Prioritizing those expectations is the difficult piece.

ChannelAdvisor2020-02-25

February 28, 2020Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It sounds like you have felt challenged and also rewarded, which is great to hear! If you have additional specific feedback, feel free to stop by my office or provide it anonymously through our survey. Thank you!. David (CEO)

"Good, not great"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people driving customer value through e-commerce & digital SaaS & services

Cons

Open office is not great, I’ll-defined SLAs, high turnover

ChannelAdvisor2020-03-02

April 17, 2020Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for the feedback! David (CEO)

7. "Awesome place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Communicative and transparent leadership team, beautiful offices, laid back atmosphere, and challenging work

Cons

Compensation is average, should be more opportunity for non-revenue facing positions to earn more.

ChannelAdvisor2019-11-15

November 22, 2019Chief Executive Officer

Appreciate the positive feedback on communication/transparency -- this is an area we’ve been working hard on so I’m glad to see it’s being felt! David (CEO)

"Helping boost my career"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great coworkers around you (you get what you give) -Benefits -Nice office environment -Flexibility -Decent Pay

Cons

I just spent 30 minutes reading these negative reviews in awe at some people’s cons and just petty responses. Some of which simply uncalled for. Your commute is long? You don’t like what the CEO wears? You don’t like that you have to work or be in the office? I’m a little baffled here, because last I checked, you signed up for you commute, it shouldn’t matter what anyone wears to your job, and lastly - oh wow you have to work? People complain about no team outings, but then don’t show up when we have them. ha! There are definitely some negatives to working at Channeladvisor, but there are negatives to any job, in any state, in any category. I think we need some additional resources undoubtedly. It also sounds like we need to work on morale. Here’s the thing, the grass isn’t always greener.

ChannelAdvisor2019-09-21

September 26, 2019Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for sharing your views, and glad to see at least one person not holding me to account for my dad jeans ;). I encourage you to reach out to some of your AM/CSM colleagues and get to know them and have a dialogue… the best way to effect change is to develop personal relationships and develop mutual understanding. David (CEO)

"Writing is on the wall"

Current Employee - Services in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Parking - Water stations and watery coffee - Basic 401 K match - Talented but overworked and underpaid coworkers. Many are jumping ship, so keep that in mind. - Stock options for a underperforming stock - On the right team, under the right manager work/life is awesome

Cons

I have been with Channeladvisor just over year and a half. The honey moon phase wore off quickly. One thing to keep in mind is that the company seems to be in contraction and stabilization mode. You will want to keep this in mind when weighing a career here as it effects the business, your day to day and career growth. Remember, it is always better to work for a growing company than one fighting to survive. If you are looking for a fun, hip, or cultured work environment this may not be the place for you. Basically, the only perk you can expect to find here is a water station, coffee and tea. You may get one company outing a year, a team outing, and a grand total of one give back day. The morale is very low, and I mean low. What leads to low morale you ask? Well there are a couple factors. The first thing to note is the product itself. The product is built on a house of cards and investments in enhancing the product has slowed. I am sure the CEO will come back and say, “we have invested in our brands significantly.” Or, “we have increased our customer experience with our repricers such as the Amazon, eBay, Velocity, and multi-channel repricers.” Well, let me tell you it all becomes a mess to manage and customers get overwhelmed and cannot use these features. In addition, uploading data is a tedious task and bit outdated. Custom templates sound great in theory until you spend hours mapping templates just to have the system yell at you once you try to upload. Take my word for it, as a person that has mapped thousands of these, it can be a painful process. But perhaps you wish to send Channeladvisor data via our open API. Good luck, you better know how to set that up because we offer literally no support in that process. We do have some documentation for you, but the screenshots don’t match and half of it is outdated. All of this more times than not leads to projects stalling out, customer frustration, and churn. Oh, you have NetSuite or Magento that’s great! Our implementation team has literally zero training on those integrations and can’t assist you with getting your data in. Sales will probably leave that bit out or tell you implementation will help you. From what I’ve seen from the implementation team, their response tends to be the equivalent of “May the odds be in your favor.” To be fair, it’s not that teams’ fault, they just don’t have the training to assist. Okay, your products are in that’s great, now to map more templates for each marketplace you wish to sale on. Again, hours of template mapping which includes, but not limited to, business rules creation (you probably will need support), look-up lists (another support ticket), and then BAM you’re listed…just kidding you have errors. Now, let’s spend countless hours just trying to resolve errors. This is just the start of the mess and let’s not even talk about bundles, variations and marketplace restrictions. All in all, it’s just not an easy system to use or manage. It often takes far too long to load pages, or just doesn’t load the pages at all. Majority of the time we just laugh at the product as searches to find itself. On top of all this sale is a nightmare. If you happen to land on the services side, be prepared to deal with a ton of mislead and straight up lied to clients. I am not sure if they keep the sales team ignorant on purpose or if they just allow them to outright lie. Most days I don’t feel good about the work we are doing. More of our customer’s land in collections than actually see success. Those customers that manage not go into collections tend to churn in the first year. Just google Channeladvisor customer reviews and you will get the idea. I mean when the sales team has mugs that literally read, “No cares hit your numbers” you know it’s not an honest day’s work. Also, the support team cares, the implementation cares, and account managers care. We are the ones that have to make the garbage sales sold work. The number of clients I get on the phone with that have no SKU(required to make the system work), no data, and no plan of success is crazy. The executive team will respond and say, “Well that’s our job to make them successful.” Sure, that is great, but how? Channeladvisor is not a data building company. We can’t create SKUs for sellers, we can’t get their UPCs, we can’t provide images and THEY(the customer) can’t use the product. All in all, it’s like hitting your head against a wall daily. To add to all this, the lack of training to provide real strategy, and a leadership team that has no idea what the heck is going on makes for a frustrating environment. Listen, they boast about the challenging work you will do and the ever-changing world of e-commerce and how it’s a team effort. Reality check, the work is tedious and frustrating. You will encounter the same challenges over and over again. The product itself is broken and not to mention the underdeveloped client set you will work with. Yes, e-commerce is moving fast, but Channeladvisor is way behind. They claim to be the industry leader, but just because you were there first does not make you the leader. The pipeline is dry and they can’t grow organically and they can’t afford to acquire. It’s tough spot to be in. Remember, as one of the Services Values states “Good enough is never good enough.” Also, that is awful and should never have been put on the walls. “Culture” is created not mandated.

ChannelAdvisor2019-08-17

August 23, 2019Chief Executive Officer

Phew, that’s a lot. I agree with some of this, like product complexity, which is an area we’ve been working on and is going to continue to be an area of focus for us going forward. But it’s not “broken” -- a huge number of customers depend on us every day to drive their business, just check out some of their stories at https://www.channeladvisor.com/success-stories/. And obviously, there are a number of things I disagree with. Anyway, it sounds like you have a lot of specific ideas for how to make things better. If you truly want to help us improve, I think it would be great if you spent some time collaborating with us to address some of the points you make. Let me know if you’re up for chatting. David (CEO)

"Tools for success are not available"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers. Bright work environment. Star Wars everywhere.

Cons

Base salary is low, but it matches the small deal sizes. You are doing the same job as BizDev and both teams don't have the proper tools to validate customer connections. AE's should be growing relationships and accounts. No more 100% covered health insurance. Massive layoffs. Office closures. No OTE increases. SAE's not getting paid accelerators. Managers bashing laid off employees. Leadership wants to keep employees in the office and work from home is frowned upon. Leadership will act like they are listening, but just ignore employee feedback.

ChannelAdvisor2019-09-20

September 26, 2019Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for the feedback. At our last all hands, I reiterated our support for a flexible work environment so would love to understand more about why this isn’t working for you. Happy to meet if you would like. David (CEO)

Found 226 reviews